• Published 3rd Mar 2015
  • 4,210 Views, 255 Comments

The Draconequus with the Dragon Tattoo - A M Shark



Ten years ago Applejack disappeared without a trace. Now Fluttershy must find out why, but will that be possible when she's thrown together with a pierced, tattooed, reality-bending draconequus who's just recently escaped being trapped in stone?

  • ...
6
 255
 4,210

Chapter 10. Matthew 5:4

Chapter 10

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”—Matthew 5:4


The next morning, Discord woke with an unpleasant tickling sensation in his throat and nose, and realized that during his sleep he’d buried his face even farther into Fluttershy’s mane and was currently breathing it in. Spitting out several of the long hairs that had gotten into his mouth, he pulled his face back out of her mane. Or rather he tried to, only to discover that his face jewelry had somehow gotten snarled in her hair.

“Ow!”

His yelp combined with a painful tugging on her scalp woke Fluttershy. She tried to roll over to look at him, but it just made the pulling on her scalp worse. “Wha—Ow! Discord, what’s going—Ow!”

His only reply was an “Ow!” of his own before he clamped his hands around her head, holding it in place. “I’m tangled. Don’t try to move.”

“You’re ... tangled?” Fluttershy wanted to turn around to look at him and see what he was talking about but his paw held her head down while his claw started fumbling through her mane.

“Ouch!” she squeaked as he accidentally ripped several hairs out of her scalp.

“Sorry—ow!” was his response when Fluttershy’s head automatically moved in the same direction as the pulled-out hair, unwittingly dragging his face with it.

It took several seconds, during which the air was punctuated with their agonized cries, before it occurred to Discord to separate them by flashing himself to the other end of the room. Fluttershy sat up, massaging her now-tender scalp, and looked over to see Discord applying similar treatment to his face.

“Ooh, if that’s what having a friend entails, I’ll pass,” Discord muttered.

Fluttershy wasn’t sure if he was joking or not, but the comment brought a laugh bubbling up from her belly. She bit down on the corners of her mouth, trying to hold the laugh back in case he was serious, but she couldn’t prevent a small whimpery giggle from sneaking out.

Hearing this, Discord looked over at her, worried that she was crying over his comment, and saw instead that she was trying not to giggle. Then the giggle finally broke through and tumbled out. Once it was out, it just kept growing.

Fluttershy was about to try and apologize between the giggles when they were suddenly joined by the draconequus’s deeper, more resonant laugh and she knew no apology was necessary.

“Ah, that was a delightful way to start the morning, wasn’t it?” he chuckled.

“Hee, hee, hee, yes, it was.” Fluttershy joked back. “Hee, hee, though most ponies would have preferred breakfast in bed.”

“Oh, why didn’t you say so?” Discord snapped his talons and Fluttershy suddenly found herself sitting in a huge bed complete with canopy. A long elegant table stretched across the bed and was piled high with platters of eggs, pancakes, waffles, and some crinkled, greasy-looking, red-and-white strips of something that she couldn’t identify.

“Too much?” Discord’s voice sounded as if he were calling up to her from the bottom of a well. She pushed the canopy back and felt her stomach lurch when she saw that the bed’s mattress was so thick she was much higher than the cabin’s ceiling should have been. She was so high up that Angel looked like little more than a cotton ball with ears, and Discord was experiencing the rare opportunity of being able to look up at her rather than down.

“Um, maybe just a bit,” Fluttershy called down to him. The bed vanished in a flash of light and Fluttershy found herself plunging down through the air. Terror gripped her, but before she could start flapping her wings in an attempt to slow her fall, a pair of mismatched arms caught her. Still spooked, she flung her forelegs around his neck, just in case his hold on her slipped.

“Aw, did you miss me?” he joked, lowering his head until his beard brushed across her forehead.

“I...” she started to loosen her hold from around his neck when she noticed a ray of sunlight coming in through the window. “Discord, look! The storm’s stopped!”

He twisted his head around like an owl to see what she was pointing at. Then he flashed them over to the window. The night before, the snow had piled up past the window, but now there was only a bit of it in the corners. A thick layer of snow still covered everything outside but it seemed to be melting at a surprising pace.


They ended up eating a breakfast of oatmeal prepared by Fluttershy and several of the fruits Discord had conjured when talking about Strawberry Swirl. While the fruit looked ordinary on the outside, whatever it contained inside was a gamble. Fluttershy had cut one orange in half intending to squeeze its juice out only to discover that it had milk in it.

“Discord,” she said, eating some segments of another orange that tasted like cranberry juice. “I’ve been thinking about how we concentrated on Applejack rather than on the rest of the family, and wondered if maybe we should try doing the same with the other six victims. Maybe their families have been getting things the way Sweet Apple Acres has been getting those cider bottles.”

Discord’s eyes narrowed and Fluttershy guessed that he was scanning his cinematic memory for information on the victims’ families. “None of them had any living family at the time they disappeared,” he said after several seconds. “Except Sunny Daze. She had one sister called Skywishes, and that sister’s still alive.”

“Maybe we could go ask her about her sister and see if Sunny Daze ever met any of the Apples, or did anything to make them kill her.” As soon as she said this, another thought occurred to Fluttershy and she frowned.

“What is it?” Discord asked, resting his elbows on the table and propping his head on his loosely fisted hands.

“I just realized we’d have to ask Skywishes about things that happened over ten years ago. Ponies can forget a lot in that time. I can barely remember anything about the last time I saw Applejack.” She sighed, toying with her glass of squeezed-from-an-orange milk. “It’s a shame we ponies don’t have cinematic memories like you do.”

“Hmm.” Discord’s eyebrows went up a fraction then lowered as he studied the claws on his paw.

“What are you thinking about?” Fluttershy asked after several seconds had passed without a word.

“I love you, marry me,” Discord said as casually as if he’d asked her to pass the oatmeal.

Fluttershy had just taken a sip of her milk and promptly choked on it. Despite growing used to Discord’s idiosyncrasies, that statement had come so completely out of left field that it had left her flabbergasted. “Are ... are you serious?!” she managed to cough out.

“No, I just wanted to see what you’d do,” he said, lowering his head and smirking at her through his shaggy eyebrows.

Fluttershy squirmed. “Discord, can we please get back to the case?”

“Of course,” he chuckled, reaching over and ruffling her mane. Then his fingers slipped farther into her hair and his talons lightly scraped small circles over her scalp in a meditative way. “Fluttershy, I want to try something. You said you didn’t remember much about the last time you saw Applejack.”

“Yes,” Fluttershy replied, not really sure where he was going with this.

“It occurred to me that while your memory of that time isn’t very clear, all the details of what you witnessed are still buried in your subconscious. If we extracted that memory from your mind and put it in mine, maybe my cinematic memory can enhance the details and make them clearer.”

“You can do that?”

“I’ve never really tried before, but I don’t see why not.”

“Do you ... think it might hurt?”

“I’m not sure, but I don’t believe it would.”

Fluttershy didn’t find that answer particularly reassuring. Still, she considered the proposed idea. It seemed to have its pros and cons. The thought of Discord, or for that matter anyone, poking around in her mind made her uncomfortable. But if it worked, it might provide some more clues to locating Applejack’s killer.

Finally she decided it couldn’t hurt to at least test Discord’s idea out on herself.

“All right. Let’s try it. What do I do?”

Discord teleported himself over in front of her. “Just relax, dear,” he said, placing his hands on either side of her head. Gold light radiated from them and he added, “It might be easier if you close your eyes.”

Fluttershy couldn’t help gulping nervously, but she shut her eyes and did her best to relax.

Discord frowned. “Fluttershy, stop thinking about your animals and what you’ll have for supper.”

Her eyes popped open. “Oh, sorry.” She hadn’t even realized she’d been thinking about those things.

He took his hands away from her head and tapped his chin pensively. “Apparently memory-extraction isn’t as simple as flipping through a book to find the scene you want. There are a lot of thoughts in there and I can’t just dig through them to find the ones I want. Well, I probably could but it’s like trying to grab the right dirt speck out of a pool of muddy water. Try to concentrate on one thing. Think about the last time you saw Applejack. Try to remember as many details as you can.”

“Okay.” Fluttershy shut her eyes again and a few seconds later she felt Discord’s hands pressing gently over the sides of her head. Then she concentrated on the last time she’d seen Applejack. Let’s see, she remembered going to the market to buy ... she couldn’t remember. Cherries? Celery? She wasn’t sure. She’d seen Applejack pulling a cart of ... something. She’d stopped to chat with Applejack about nothing in particular. It distressed her to realize how unimportant her last moments with her friend had been to her at the time. Granted back then she’d had no idea that would be the last time she’d ever see Applejack, but still...

As she continued trying to recall the faint details of that day, she could feel Discord’s fingers prodding at her head, starting at the base of her skull and making their way up the back of her head to the crown before moving to her temples.

“Okay, you can stop now,” he said, finally taking his hands away from her head.

Opening her eyes, Fluttershy found herself looking Discord full in the hands. Both the long scaly fingers of the left one and the short furry fingers of the right were coated to the knuckles in a glowing multi-colored opaque substance that looked almost like rainbow-colored honey.

“What’s that?”

“Your memories. Well, technically it’s a copy of them,” he said, peeling the substance off his left index finger as if it were dried glue. He rolled the substance between his palms, forming it into a ball the size of a small marble. He let go of it and it remained floating in midair.

“Care to help me?” he asked, pulling the substance off another finger and flicking it toward her. She put her hooves up reflexively to catch it. It didn’t feel as sticky as she’d expected based on its appearance.

“Just roll it into a ball like I did,” he directed. It took Fluttershy a bit longer to form the substance into a ball than it had for Discord, and when she finished she let go of the ball, expecting it to fall to the floor but it remained suspended just the way the one he had made had done. Finally when Discord had finished removing all the material from his fingers they had created eight floating opaque marbles.

“Now for the clean-up.” Discord reached out and swiped all eight marbles out of the air. Cocking his head to the side, he tipped the marbles into his ear before shaking his head about as if to get them settled. Then he sent his head spinning like a top. After several seconds, he raised his paw and smacked his head, sending it spinning in the opposite direction. He let it spin in that direction for several seconds as well before grabbing his head in both hands to halt it.

“Well, let’s see what this gets us,” he said, placing a hand on Fluttershy’s back and they were surrounded by a flash of light. When the light disappeared, Fluttershy found herself back in the market all those years ago. She was moving among the stalls but it felt as if she were being carried, and she couldn’t control which direction she looked.

“Discord...”

“I’m here.” She felt his hand knead the hide between her shoulders. “Looks like we can only see what you saw back then.”

Fluttershy watched through her past-self’s eyes as she moved among the stalls, buying asparagus, apricots, and lettuce. All the details of that day: the pleasant sunshine, the bright colors of the stalls, the various ponies she saw in her peripheral vision, the sounds, the smells, everything she didn’t remember remembering played out before her.

Her past-self was starting to leave the market when Applejack came into view, pulling a cart piled high with colorful fabric.

“Hello, Applejack,” her past-self called and Applejack started.

“Huh, oh, um, howdy Fluttershy.”

“Have you been to see Rarity?” Fluttershy’s past-self asked as she trotted over to look in the cart. At the time she had just casually glanced into it, only mildly curious about what it contained, but now her present-self stared good and hard at its contents, trying to memorize all that she saw. The cart was full of not only fabrics, but also of various baking ingredients, several books, and even a jar containing a layer of ground up gemstones with several solid ones poking out of it.

“Y-yeah, I saw her,” she heard Applejack stammer. “Her, and Twilight, and Pinkie. Just needed some stuff for the family reunion, you know,” Applejack babbled as if on edge.

Fluttershy’s past-self looked up from the cart’s contents. “Are you all right, Applejack?”

The earth pony glanced up from a shopping list she’d been scanning. “Hmm. What? Oh, fine, fine,” she muttered absently. At the time, Fluttershy had dismissed her friend’s absentmindedness as preoccupation with getting ready for the family reunion. But now she wondered if Applejack had actually had something far more sinister on her mind.

“Discord, can you replay this bit with Applejack?”

She heard him snap his fingers somewhere above her, and her past-self was suddenly trotting up to greet Applejack again. Now she focused all her attention on the earth pony’s voice and mannerisms, and this time she saw not just pre-reunion jitters, but genuine fear, the kind she herself had experienced so often but almost never witnessed in Applejack.

“Uh, look, I’m late. I gotta get going,” Applejack said before trotting briskly away.

“See you,” Fluttershy’s past-self called after her, and Fluttershy’s present-self felt a painful twinge in her chest at the knowledge that that casual remark would prove to be a lie.

When Applejack was out of sight, Discord flashed himself and Fluttershy back to the cabin.

“Did you get anything from that?” Discord asked and she looked up at him.

“Applejack was afraid. I think she knew or at least suspected that somepony coming to her family reunion was a murderer.”

He ran a hand over her head, nodding. “So you had some clues in here all along,” he said musingly. “You just didn’t know you knew.”

She leaned against his side. “If I saw some clues without realizing it, maybe some of the Apple family members at the reunion did as well.”


A little later that day three figures could be seen trekking over the snow-covered fields toward the farm house. One was a yellow pegasus in a white-and-blue coat. Perched on her back was the second figure, a white bunny wearing a bright green scarf and earmuffs that made him easier to spot in the snow. When Fluttershy and Discord had decided to pay the farm a visit, Angel had wanted to go with his owner after spending so much time being cooped up inside. The third figure was a gray unicorn with some tattoos, a snow vest, and a scraggly multi-colored scarf.

As they made their way over the snow-covered fields, Fluttershy kept stealing glances at Discord. The last time he had used this pony disguise she hadn’t had much time to study it. Now the more she looked at him she found that to her surprise she didn’t really like how he looked as a pony. As stallions went, he was definitely handsome but somehow it ... just didn’t seem to suit him.

Are you saying you wish he was ugly?

No, it’s not that ... it’s just that...

That what?

She wasn’t really sure what. She knew it was still Discord so why did she keep wishing she had the draconequus with her instead of this stallion? Did it have to do with his looks? In his regular form he was not handsome, but neither would she have classified him as ugly. And she definitely wouldn’t have described him as average for obvious reasons. Well, if his appearance wasn’t handsome, ugly, or average, than what was it?

His appearance was ... interesting. Yes, that was the word to describe it. Interesting.

Then she found her thoughts drifting back to the statement Discord had sprung on her at breakfast. While he no longer treated her with the maliciousness he’d first displayed, he did seem to get a kick out of flustering her, and he had definitely succeeded that time. She had been relieved when he had said he didn’t really mean it ... but at the same time she found herself wondering: What would I have said if he had been serious?

All she drew was a blank.

Little did she suspect that Discord himself was currently thinking about the same thing. Fluttershy’s flustered response had amused him as he’d expected it to, but at the same time it had brought an unexpected sense of rejection that baffled him.

When they reached the farm, Fluttershy saw Big Mac outside and called out to him.

“Hello, Big Mac, how are you?”

The big stallion just heaved his shoulders in a shrug.

“Where are Granny Smith and Apple Bloom?”

This time both his head and ears drooped.

“Is something wrong?” Fluttershy asked.

Big Mac sighed. “Granny had a stroke last night. We got a couple rescue ponies to fly her to the hospital this morning. Apple Bloom went with her.”

“Oh my goodness,” Fluttershy breathed. “Will she be all right?”

“Don’t know. She looked pretty bad.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry about that,” said Fluttershy putting a hoof on his shoulder. She had intended to speak with Granny Smith about what she and Discord had discovered so far, but now she was faced with the possibility that the old pony would die before she could meet with her again. “Big Mac, there’s something we have to tell you.”

She then proceeded to explain how Discord had tapped into her last memory of seeing Applejack and helped her recall several important details.

“So would you let us look at your memory of the family reunion?” Fluttershy asked.

“Eeyup.”

“Then close your eyes and start thinking about it,” said Discord. Big Mac obeyed and Discord pressed his horn first against the pony’s forehead, then began skimming it this way and that over Big Mac’s head. Fluttershy meanwhile took Angel inside and put him to sleep on a cushion. Maybe she was being over-cautious but she felt that being yanked into somepony’s memory might be too much of a shock for him in his old age.

When she went back outside, Discord was stepping back from Big Mac with his horn coated in that same multi-colored material. After making sure Big Mac’s eyes were still closed, he changed his left front leg back into an eagle claw and used it to peel bits of the material off his horn. The bits of material floated in the air like small gooey-looking clouds.

“You can open your eyes now,” he directed Big Mac, as he changed his left limb back into a pony’s. Then he and Fluttershy began rolling the floating material into marble-sized balls.

Big Mac watched as Discord dumped the finished marbles into his ear. The big stallion’s eyes almost bugged out of his head but he made no comment when Discord spun his own head first one way and then the other.

“All right. Here we go,” said Discord and suddenly they were outside surrounded by a huge crowd of ponies, mostly earth ones but here and there some unicorns and pegasi were scattered in among them as well.

“Watch for Applejack,” Discord directed. “We need to pin down the last time you saw her.”

They watched the reunion play out through the senses of Big Mac’s past-self. Every now and then they caught glimpses of Applejack among the other ponies. Then sometime near the end of the reunion they could no longer spot her.

When the reunion had ended, Discord flashed the three of them back outside. “When was the last time either of you saw her in that memory?” he asked.

“When the colts and fillies went off to run an obstacle course,” said Fluttershy. “Big Mac walks across her path and I never saw her again after that.”

“Eeyup.”

“Hmm. That’s the last time I saw her as well,” said Discord. He flashed them back into the memory a little bit before the time they’d mentioned.

Fluttershy trained all her attention on Applejack as Big Mac’s past-self moved her closer to her missing friend. She couldn’t tell if Applejack was saying anything over the general hubbub of the crowd but the earth pony appeared to be smiling at somepony. Then as Big Mac’s past-self began to carry her past Applejack, Fluttershy saw her friend look up over the crowd, and Applejack’s smile suddenly vanished to be replaced with a look of fear. Two seconds later Applejack was out of her line of vision.

“Discord! Big Mac! Did you see that?”

“I did indeed,” said Discord, flashing them back out of the memory. He began to pace. “What could she have seen to make her look like that?” He glanced about and a new idea seemed to occur to him. He flashed himself, Fluttershy, and Big Mac to the spot where the last memory of Applejack had been.

"Let's see…if you were walking about here," he said, using his magic to flash Big Mac into one position. "That would put Applejack about here." Through a series of pushes and nudges he got Fluttershy standing in roughly the same spot Applejack had been standing in. He frowned, probably concentrating on the memory as he stood on his hind legs and began adjusting and tilting Fluttershy's head with his hooves. After a couple minutes of adjusting, he stepped back. "Now tell me what you see, Fluttershy."

"The second floor of the house. I'm looking straight into the window of Applejack's room."

"In that case, I'm going to take us back into the memory and see if we can catch a glimpse of what she's looking at."

They flashed into the memory and Big Mac's past-self carried them past Applejack before turning and walking into the crowd in front of the house. He was looking straight ahead rather than up, but he was taller than Applejack so they could still see the house's upper level. Then as he neared the other ponies, he lowered his head to look at them, and the house's second level went out of view.

"Discord, can you go back and pause the memory?! I think I saw something up there!"

Discord snapped the memory back to the point where they were passing Applejack.

"There! Right there!" cried Fluttershy. The memory froze.

Just before Big Mac's past-self had lowered his head, a pony had walked past Applejack's window. A light yellow filly with a large pink bow.


"Big Mac, did Apple Bloom ever tell you what she was doing in Applejack's room?" Fluttershy asked as Discord flashed the three of them back out of the memory.

"She's never mentioned it. Until now I never even knew she was up there. I thought she was with the other fillies."

Fluttershy frowned as they tromped back into the house. If Apple Bloom and Big Mac had confided their suspicions about Applejack's disappearance to each other, why would Apple Bloom have held back an important piece of information like that? What reason would she—?

"Wait a minute. Where's Angel?" The cushion she'd left him on was empty. "Angel! Angel!"

"Maybe he already went back to the cabin." Discord suggested. He vanished and about a minute later reappeared. "Nope, not there. Unless he's hopping around someway along the halfway point."

This didn't ease Fluttershy's worry. She wanted to search the house for him, but the thought of him out there in the snow alone, even with a scarf and earmuffs frightened her. She could think of no reason for him to go out there…but what if he had?

Then Big Mac suggested he could search the house for Angel while they searched for him on their way back to the cabin. He also promised to speak to Apple Bloom when she got back from the hospital about accessing her memories and to ask her what she'd been doing up in Applejack's room.

Now Fluttershy and Discord (still in his pony disguise) were walking slowly back to the cabin. They scanned the landscape for any traces of green that would be Angel's scarf or earmuffs, but saw neither this, nor any other sign of any critters stirring. While they walked, they discussed what they'd seen in both Fluttershy's and Big Mac's memories.

"If we could see Apple Bloom's memory from that day," said Fluttershy, looking over at Discord. "Maybe we'd find something that's now missing from Applejack's—" As she looked toward the cabin, she suddenly stopped in mid-sentence and let out a long shuddering gasp.

Discord snapped his head around to look at her. "What is it?"

Not answering, Fluttershy bolted ahead of him only to come to an abrupt halt in front of the cabin.

"Oh no." Fluttershy’s forehooves came up to her face and she sat down on her haunches. Shaking her head back and forth, she hid her eyes with her hooves.

Discord hurried up behind her and halted as well when he saw what was in front of her. There was a large bloodstain on the snow in front of the cabin door and lying on top of that bloodstain was a rabbit's white-furred body with a green scarf around its neck, and a pair of blood-soaked earmuffs nearby.

"Oh no, oh no, oh no, oh no," Fluttershy kept repeating, her voice growing steadily more tearful.

Then she felt a familiar pair of mismatched hands on her shoulders. Looking up she saw that Discord had transformed back to his pierced, tattooed draconequus-self.

"It's-it's A-A-A-A-Angel!" she choked out, tears spilling from her eyes. "His head's all crushed! Oh, Angel!" she moaned, breaking down completely and burying her face in her hooves again.

Discord hadn't much cared for the old bunny himself, but Fluttershy's devastated sobs now tore at his heart. He felt at a loss as to what to do. He had the power to alter reality with a snap of his fingers but even he couldn't resurrect his friend's pet.

Still, as he looked down at Fluttershy's shaking head he knew he had to do something. And if he couldn't fix this situation with his own powers…maybe he could try using a few of hers.

"There, there," he murmured, trying to sound soothing while massaging her shoulders gently. At the same time, he looked down at Angel's corpse, taking in every detail. The body hadn't been torn apart the way it would have if he'd been attacked by a predator. It looked as if somepony had killed him by stomping on his head and had then left the body where it lay. Discord swiveled his long neck this way and that, searching for any signs of ponies having come or gone but apart from the tracks he and Fluttershy had left, the snow-covered fields were as blank and white as a fresh sheet of paper.

Then holding his eagle claw out, palm up, he made an urn-like jar materialize in it. He tossed the jar lightly into the air and as it flew toward Angel's carcass its lid popped off. The jar scooped up the bunny's remains, the scarf, the earmuffs, and most of the bloodstained snow, and the lid sealed itself again. Discord wasn't sure what Fluttershy would want to do with Angel's remains but for now at least they were where she wouldn't have to look at them.

Fluttershy pulled her hooves away from her face in surprise when he tugged her back toward him. He slid one arm around her, and the other underneath her, lifting her bridal-style.

Still crying, she curled up against him so that her face was buried in the loose ends of his scarf. Straightening up to his full considerable height, he wrapped his arms more securely around her, suddenly feeling oddly protective. When the storm had broken, Applejack's killer or killers must have come to try and scare Fluttershy off the case. Looking around again, but still seeing nopony else around, he carried her into the cabin.

His dragon tattoo slid its head from where it was stretched over his neck to down across his throat closer to Fluttershy's head. Glaring down at the tattoo, he slapped its head, causing it to retreat back to its original position.

"He was old," Fluttershy whimpered against his chest. "I knew he didn't have much longer to live but I ... I ... I didn't think it would be like that!"

"Fluttershy, listen to me," he said, trying to keep his voice gentle but at the same time get her attention. "Listen to me. I know this is hard, but I need you to hear this. I need you to think."

He slipped his eagle hand in between her face and his chest to lift her head. The tears continued to fall and she sniffed, trying to stop them, but she didn't try to turn away from him.

"Angel wasn't killed by some sort of wild animal. He wasn't torn up enough for that. He was killed by a pony. He wasn't there when I flashed myself over here earlier. That means he was put there between the time we left the farm and the time we got here, but there aren't any tracks to this cabin but our own. How could that have happened?"

Fluttershy fought to hold back her tears while she thought of what Discord had said.

"A ... pegasus could have flown to the cabin and then flown away without us seeing it,” she choked out.

Discord nodded. Go on.

"A unicorn might have been able to teleport right to the cabin door, then teleport away. An earth pony could have brushed away its tracks ... but that would have taken time, and we can see around the cabin for several miles. An earth pony could have walked in our tracks to disguise their own…but that would have been slow going as well, and we would have run into them on our way back."

Discord continued to nod. That's it Fluttershy, come on, just a few more steps…

Fluttershy's eyes widened in realization. "You think Applejack's killer or killers did that to him to scare me off the case. And that for them to put his body there at least one of them would have to be a unicorn or a pegasus."

Not taking his eyes off her, Discord snapped his talons and nearly all the Apples on the ceiling fell to the floor, leaving only the ones with pegasi or unicorns on them.

Author's Note:

I don't know if that bit towards the end is enough to warrant a gore tag or not. Please tell me what you guys think.