• Published 26th Mar 2015
  • 2,497 Views, 69 Comments

Twilight's First Foals -- Episode I - The Hybrid Changelings - One Universe One story



Twilight wakes up from a nightmare to find two young foals on her door step. Turns out they're changeling hybrids and the kids of Sombra and Chrysalis. Well she was told to teach them love and she'll try! But what if Celestia visits and finds out.

  • ...
10
 69
 2,497

Chapter Eleven: Somber Or Sombra?

When Twilight arrived where the battle had taken place between Chrysalis, Mydday, and Sombra, she found a grey unicorn stallion, who had a black mane and tail, lying next to Myx. She then cast an awakening spell on the unicorn.

Yawn “-Where am I? Wait, who are you?” he asked.

Twilight rushed him and pinned him to the ground. “I’m Princess Twilight, and I’ll be the one asking the questions here,” she said as a small blade extended from her armour’s right forehoof piece.

“P-p-please, d-don’t hurt me!” the unicorn begged.

“What’s your name?” Twilight asked as she pulled the blade back away from him a bit.

“M-my name’s S-Sombra, S-Somber S-Sombra,” he replied nervously.

“What happened to Chrysalis?”

“Something happened to Chrysalis!” Somber said as he tried to push Twilight off to no avail.

Twilight brought the blade closer to him and he stopped struggling. “Yes, something happened to her. I was supposed to meet her here and instead I find you and Myx both hurt. And I didn’t even know who you were until you said your name, King Sombra!”

“P-please, I’m not him!” Somber pleaded.

“Prove it!”

Somber looked to his left and saw Myx on the ground hurt badly. “Allow me one last moment with my son before you kill me,” Somber said as a tear formed in his eye.

“Good enough proof for me,” Twilight said, retracting the blade into her armour.

Somber turned his attention back to Twilight who then got off him and went over to Myx. “What are you going to do to us?” he asked.

“I’m going to take you two back to my castle and then look for Chrysalis.”

“P-please… I want to help find her, too,” he said as he put a hoof on Twilight’s shoulder.

“No, I don’t entirely trust you yet so you’re not coming with me to find Chrysalis.”

“I know a Changeling locator spell, it can help find her.”

“And where did you learn such a spell?”

“From from the Queen of Changelings of course,” Somber said.

“I’m not even gonna ask…”

“I think the answer to you unasked question is: ‘So I know where she is if she needs help.’”

“Yeah, that’d be the appropriate answer.”

“So, may I come with?”

“Alright, but I still don’t trust you,” Twilight said before teleporting Myx to her castle. “Alright how does this spell work?”

“I can’t tell you, I promised Chrysalis I wouldn’t tell anypony.”

“Somber, Don’t press your luck,” Twilight said as she extended the blade from her armour again.

“If you're threatening me, it won’t work when you’re so-”

Thud

“T’was that?” Twilight asked after rushing Somber and pinning him to the ground again.

“I-I still won’t tell you.”

Twilight then began slowly decreasing the distance between the tip of the blade and Somber’s neck.

“No! I promised Chrysalis the last time I remember seeing her and I intend to keep that promise!” Somer said as he tried to use his magic to get Twilight off, to no avail.

“Did… did you seriously just try to use magic to get me off you?” Twilight asked. “Alright you deserve this,” she said before retracting her blade, punching him in the head and knocking him out.

It was several hours before Somber regained consciousness, and when he did he found himself tied to a large boulder.

“T-Twilight? TWILIGHT, WHERE ARE YOU!”

There was no reply. He tried using his magic to free himself of the bonds but was unable to due to the fact he was wearing an Anti-Magic Charm around his neck.

“Haha. Okay,Twilight, you got me. Now can you please let me go?”

“Not until you teach me the spell.” Twilight said as she came out from behind a different boulder.

“I promised Chrysalis I wouldn’t tell anypony. Now, let ME GO!” he said as his eyes flared a purple mist. “Twilight... Don’t make me angry… You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.”

“I knew it! You’re still King Sombra!”

“Not… at… this… MOMENT!” Somber said trying not to lose control of his anger. “TWILIGHT, RUN!” he said as he opened his eyes revealing dragon-like pupils emitting a purple mist.

“Aw, buck.” Twilight said as she began running away.

“RAAAAAAAAHHHH!” Somber yelled as a pillar of darkness surrounded him.

“WHERE ARE YOU, YOU PATHETIC MARE?!?” Sombra yelled as he broke the bonds holding him to the boulder with his brute strength. “I SWEAR I’LL FIND YOU!” he yelled again while breaking the Anti-Magic Charm off his neck. “AND THEN I’LL KILL YOU!” he said while summoning a scythe.

“Oh, buck! Meta, warn the others. We may have to face Sombra after all,” Twilight whispered as she held her hoof to her helmet.

In Canterlot Castle…

“Yes, and make sure they are-” Celestia said before gasping and turning to face the Badlands.

“What is it, your Majesty?” the Guard Captain asked.

“Put the Kingdom on lockdown,” Celestia started, “then gather the Consul Of Magic. You have your orders, now go!”

“Yes, Ma’am!” the soldier saluted before heading out the door.

“I can only hope we can do this in time,” Celestia said to herself aloud.

“You can only hope you do what in time Princess?” asked a mare’s voice from behind Celestia.

“Oh Cadence I didn’t… I mean, how nice to see you.” she said as she turned around and smiled falsely.

“Princess Celestia, the false smile routine doesn’t work with another princess.”

“Alright,” Celestia said as her smile lost it’s form and became a frown. “Cadence I need you and Shining to put a Dome Shield spell around the Castle. Make sure nopony is able to get into the castle without you knowing about it.”

“Yes, Ma’am,” Cadence said as she headed out Celestia’s bedroom doors.

In Ponyville…

“I can’t believe she actually did that to her own sister,” Rarity said as she looked off the balcony at the city below.

“She was angry and her head wasn’t clear. I’m not going to blame her for it,” Fluttershy said as she turned toward Rarity’s direction.

“Well I will! If it had been me, I wouldn’t have hurt my sister!”

“Rarity, I know ya like you’re sis and all, but just think. Are ya really sure ya wouldn’t’a done that if you were the Princess?” Applejack questioned.

“Well… Okay, maybe I would have gotten mad. But that doesn’t mean I would have struck anypony who interrupted me with a lightning bolt!”

Applejack looked at Rarity with a ”Really?” expression on her face.

“Okay, yes, maybe I would have. But I’m sure I wouldn’t mean to.”

“Well, the good part about this is, Mr. and Mrs. Cake are planning on adding a new patio to the Sugarcube Corner!” Pinkie said cheerfully with a smile.

“Pinkie, not right now,” Applejack said as she took off her hat and set it on the MIniature Cutie Map table in Twilight’s room. “It’s not that we’re not happy about it, Pinkie, it’s just… now ain’t the time to bring that up.”

“Aww, but I was about to tell you about the special candy I made!”

“Pinkie, now’s not th’- Wait, what kind of special candy?”

“Ask Zecora, she helped me make it. All I know is it’s supposed to taste super yummy and make you really powerful.”

“And how long have you had this candy?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“Oh, just since the Changeling attack in Canterlot,” Pinkie replied with a smile.

“Come on girls we’re headin’ for Zecora’s hut!” Applejack called out as she picked her hat up off the table, put it on, and began to run out the bedroom door.

A few moments later...

“WARNING! URGENT MESSAGE INBOUND!” M.I.L.I.S. said as the five pones made it to the base floor of the castle.

“What is it, M.I.L.I.S.?” Rainbow Dash asked after coming to a halt mid-flight.

“Hello, this is Meta. Twilight agitated Somber and he became Sombra again. We need your help now! We can’t fight him without you. Get to the teleporter in Twilight’s lab. I’ve relayed co-ordinates to M.I.L.I.S. so she can teleport you to a safe distance away from Sombra, hopefully. As for armour, it will be on you when you arrive. It will also be the same armour you used to battle Mydnyght Nixus. Meta, out.”

“Great, now we’ll never now how my candy tastes,” Pinkie said sadly.

“Maybe we will… M.I.L.I.S., can you chain teleport?” Rarity asked the computer system.

“Rarity, what are you thinkin’?” Applejack asked.

“Affirmative, though it is very experimental and may have unwanted side-effects.”

“What if just one of us went?”

"The amount of possible side effects would minimize to five percent of the total amount of possible side-effects of two travelers.”

“M.I.L.I.S., set up a teleportation chain in this order: Zecora’s hut, Ponyville Hospital: Princess Luna’s room, and Twilight’s Castle.”

“Teleportation chain ready.”

“Rare?” Applejack wondered aloud.

“Back in a few minutes girls!” Rarity said as she stepped on the teleporter and disappeared.

Zecora’s hut…

Vwoosh

“Zecora, where is Pinkie’s special candy?”

“Let me see, I put it on shelf number three.”

“Thank you, I’ll let you know how good it tastes later, I have to run right now,” said Rarity after nabbing the candy and beginning to head for the portal

“Farewell, Rarity. It’s delicious, I hope you’ll see.”

Vwoosh

“I’m not so glad she did not see you. I guess I’ll have to heal you with my brew.”

“D-don’t… bother… I don't… th-think I’ll… make it,” Chrysalis said as she tried to stand to no avail.

“Please you must rest, it is only for the best.”

“Z-Zecora… p-please… stop… rhyming… just… until… I’m asleep.”

“I will respect such a wish. Here, this should null the pain,” Zecora said as she brought a spoon full of blue liquid over to Chrysalis who then drank it.

Within seconds Chrysalis fell asleep.

“You needed to rest… as I said… It was for the best, hahaha,” Zecora said as she became shrouded in the darkness of her shadow and disappeared with it.

In a realm showing Chrysalis her past…

“W-why am I here again?” Chrysalis wondered aloud.

“You’re here because you died of a lethal poison whose ingredients are known only to the Zebras,” Celestia said as she appeared behind Chrysalis

“So Zecora… killed me?” Chrysalis asked as she turned to face the Princess.

“More or less, yes.”

“Am I trapped here this time or-”

“No you not trapped… But you’re not leaving this realm for a long while.”

“Why not?”

“I cannot give you another chance to correct your mistake until the new year.”

“And why?”

“Because I can only revive somepony once a year.”

“Why is your power so limited?”

“It’s not limited so much as I am limited. I may be over three thousand years old, but that does not mean my magic is without limit while I am limited in physical means.”

“So… basically if you’re limited physically-”

“I’m limited to the same extent magically as well, yes,”she said as she lowered her head.

“Wait. I remember something,” Chrysalis said as she held her hoof to her temple. “There was something off about Zecora… I can’t seem to recall what it was though.”

A vision of Chrysalis’ past appeared right behind her. In it there was Rarity, Zecora, and herself, they were in Zecora’s hut. She played the memory over and over until she figured out what it was.

“Look at Zecora’s shadow,” Chrysalis said pointing to the shadow which had eyes and a horn contradictory to Zecora’s form.

“No this cannot be!” Celestia exclaimed. “Sombra lives on in Zecora and is most likely going to try to reunite with Somber.”

“Oh, buck,” is all that came to Chrysalis mind.

In Ponyville Hospital

(After Rarity left Zecora’s Hut and before Zecora poisoned Chrysalis) ...

Vwoosh

“Doctor Horse, get Princess Luna to eat a piece of this candy,” Rarity said as she came out of the Warp Ring.

“What is it?”

“Don’t ask, just get her to eat some. I have to leave,” she said before turning around and heading for the Warp Ring.

Vwoosh

At Twilight’s Castle…

Vwoosh

“And I’m back,” Rarity said as she reappeared in Twilight’s castle in front of her friends

“So now what?” asked Applejack.

“Now… we fight for tomorrow!” Rainbow Dash said as she jumped up and held a hoof above her head.

“Alright! Let’s get’em!” Applejack said as she waved her hat in the air and jumped on the teleporter. “Who’s with me?”

“We all are,” Fluttershy said as she spread her right hoof out pointing to Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Rainbow Dash.

“IT’S PARTY TIIIMMMEE!” Pinkie yelled as she, Rarity, Fluttershy, and Rainbow Dash lept onto the teleporter.

In the Badlands…

When the other Elements of Harmony arrived, Twilight was already fighting Sombra.

“Sombra, yield this meaningless fight!” Twilight yelled.

“Not until you’re finished, you putrid foal!” Sombra replied swinging his scythe at Twilight.

The others were watching from behind a boulder when they each received a message from Meta.

“Why aren't you helping us!?!” she yelled over their radios.

“Because we don't want hurt?” Rainbow Dash wonder aloud.

“You might as well face it, you're going to get hurt.”

“Fine, we're on our way,” Rainbow Dash groaned.

“Sombra, where is Flash Sentry!?!” Twilight yelled while evading a dark crystal stalactite that was falling out of a void rift above her.

“Flash is dead!” he yelled back.

Twilight froze for a second.

“Meta, run program ‘Death Bot Annihilator’,” Twilight said barely audible.

“Director, I don't -”

“Run the bucking program, Meta!” Twilight yelled.

“Yes…, Director,” Meta said somberly.

Twilight's suit began to spark with magical energy. Soon, she was practically a walking “Electo-pone”.

“Girls, stay back. It's personal now,” is all the warning Twilight gave to her friends.

“Even you lack purity in your heart. How amusing,” Sombra laughed.

Next thing anypony knows, Twilight's left foreleg is sticking through Sombra’s neck still pulsing with electricity.

“Die... you millennia old beast of a stallion,” Twilight said before removing her foreleg from Sombra's neck.

Vines of darkness grew in the disintegrated area in Sombra's neck, healing him well enough to laugh at Twilight's effort to end his existence.

“So… much… hatred!” Sombra yelled as he swung his scythe at Twilight.

Twilight countered his scythe with her Light Blade, barely having the scythe miss her.

“I can taste your wrath,” -he swung again and was blocked- “and it is delicious.”

Suddenly, Zecora appeared behind Somber.

“Finally, we can be together again,” Zecora said as her eyes fared a purple mist.

Zecora’s shadow grew upward from the ground and then shrouded around Sombra. This was succeeded by Zecora falling to the ground unconscious.

“RAAAAAHHH!” Sombra yelled as the darkness was absorbed into him. “Now it is an even fight!” Sombra said with reverberations in his voice.

“Sweet Celestia,” Twilight mumbled.

Back in Twilight's castle...

“Myx, wake up,” Celestia said and continued to repeat until the Changeling hybrid woke up.

Yawn “-Princess Celestia!” youngling said as he hugged the princess, he then soon realized what he was doing and let go of her. “S-sorry, y-your Majesty.”

“It's quite alright, but on to the reason we woke you. Your father has become Sombra again.”

“N-no… I-I got rid of him… It can't be true…”

“I'm sorry, but it is… we need you to return to your Light Oversoul form to truly defeat him.”

“I-I’ll try… one… last… time.”

“Good, and your sister is going with you.”

“She is? How? She possessed the power of the Dark Heart. How will that be helpful?”

“I will be helpful in my new form,” said a voice like Mydnyght Nixus only without the reverberations in her voice.

Myx turned around to see his sister in a different Oversoul form.

She was creame coloured with crimson wings and eyes; she was as tall as her other Oversoul form; her mane and tail were light violet with a crimson streak down the middle.

“S-sister?” He wondered.

All she did was smile and nod.

“Myx, are you ready?” Celestia asked calmly.

Myx nod and followed Celestia to the Light Heart. He placed his hoof on it one last time.

”I swear, this will be the last time I have this form,” Myx thought to himself before returning to his Light Oversoul form.

“M.I.L.I.S., teleport these two to the fight in the Badlands.”

“Affirmative, teleporting in ten seconds.”

“One last thing you two. Sombra was controlling Zecora and forced her to dispatch your mother. I'm sorry, but I had to tell you.”

Before they could reply they were teleported to the Badlands.

When they arrived Myxer whispered something in Nixus’ ear. She nod and they began to fly the rest the way to the fight.

“Twilight, you and your friends must leave,” Myxer said loudly.

“No, he needs to pay!” she yelled back.

Myxer looked at Nixus and they both nod at each other. Before Twilight could make her next attack, she, her friends and Zecora were in her castle.

“Buck you, Myxer,” said Twilight after realizing where she was.

“Myxer, you go left, I’ll go right.”

Myxer nod and they moved into position above Sombra. They both raised their forelegs above their heads and soon an energy ball appeared above each of them. Soon the two balls of energy joined above Sombra and continued to grow larger.

Sombra lept up and tried to cut either of them but failed to leap high enough.

“For our mother!” they yelled simultaneously.

They threw the ball of energy directly on Sombra causing massive destruction and leaving only a gray Unicorn with a black mane and tail in a massive crater.

They flwew down, touched the Unicorn, and teleported to Twilight's castle.

When they arrived Twilight was furious at them.

“Why in Tartarus did you bucking do that!?! I almost had him!”

“We did it to protect our father!” they yelled in their defense as they lift Somber onto a table in Twilight's lab.

“And you expect me to forgive you! He killed Flash!”

“No he didn't,” Celestia said as she entered the room. “I would have told them to tell you he didn't die had I known Sombra was using him to put you in a fury.”

“Then…-”

“Yes, he’s still alive. Where, I don't know.”

Twilight turned her Light Blade on and kept at the table Somber was on in an attempt to kill him only to be repelled by a shield put up by Myxer and Nixus.

“Buck you! Buck you to Tartarus!”

“Twilight, continue this behaviour and I will have no choice but to send you to Tartarus until you settle down!” Celestia boomed.

With that Twilight stormed off and out the room.

Author's Note:

We are so sorry that it took us a month and a half to get this one ready. We deeply regret having so many people working on the same book. If anyone is interested in editing for us (no, none of us are editors) feel free to contact: bronyears@gmail.

- #30 Meta - Brony Ears 365 Collab.