• Published 2nd Mar 2015
  • 3,538 Views, 109 Comments

Equestria Girls 3: The Friendship Games - EmeraldSkies



It's time for the 10th annual Friendship Games, and the Wondercolts are determined to beat Cyrstal Prep and end their losing streak

  • ...
3
 109
 3,538

Chapter 10: Shoot for Gold

Back in her basement laboratory, Twilight Sparkle pinned the DNA samples on her board. When she had compared theirs to her own, there was no noticeable link. She didn't get it, they were just as normal as she was, but they weren't. That's what troubled her.

Twilight knew there was something she was missing from all of this. If it wasn't in their DNA, where was it? Maybe she could hook something up to them that's attracted to the magic, and would be able to calculate and save some of it.

She grabbed a blank sheet of paper from her desk, and started scribbling her new idea.


The girls were sitting in the stands, waiting for Fluttershy's and Applejack's event, archery. They chose this time to sit as far away from the Shadowbolts in case they tried something again.

"Fluttershy, ah know you're nervous, but stressin' about it this much isn't going to get you anywhere." Applejack was trying to calm the shy girl down.

"But Applejack, what if I mess up?" Fluttershy said, almost on the verge of tears. "I don't want Junior Track camp to happen all over again. The people laughing, it was awful!" She looked up at all her friends, who wore worried faces. "I'm overreacting, aren't I?"

They all nodded. "Oh, I'm so so sorry, I'm just very nervous about this as you can see." She brushed a piece of hair out of her eyes.

Rainbow Dash put her hand on her friend's shoulder. "Even if you do badly, we won't be mad at you. I promise." Sometimes the occasionally brash girl had a heart full of gold. "You win some, and you lose some."

Sunset suddenly sat up right after remaining mostly silent in the conversation, and looked at Rainbow Dash. "Please don't tell me you just quoted her."

"Quoted who?" Rainbow looked confused, then remembered the previous two days. "Oh yeah, her."

As if on command, Indigo Zap popped right in on the conversation. "Who? Moi?" She tried to look as innocent as possible before flashing an evil smile like a pro.

"I mean, I always pop out of random places for no reason, but how did you get here? And why are you here?" Pinkie Pie asked her.

Indigo Zap stepped to push two girls in front of her, and slung her arms around the two, keeping them from trying to go away. "Relax, I'm here to usher the two winners down to archery -- and they will win, right?" She looked at both of them, and they nodded. "Good."

Twilight put her hand up as if she was still in class. "Indigo, I told you that was going to show them the thing first, right?"

"Fine, but me and everyone else are going to archery, so make sure to not be late!" She pulled Sour Sweet with her, and went to run over to the archery range.

Twilight looked back to make sure they were gone before turning back. "Sorry, they're just kind of pushy on me," she said sighing a bit. "Anyway," Twilight reached into her hoodie pockets and pulled out two wristbands, one yellow and the other one a light orange. "These are for you two, Applejack and Fluttershy."

The two girls took the bracelets, and examined them before Fluttershy finally asked. "What are these exactly?" She said, putting the device on her wrist.

"It's a magic radar and accumulator, it measures the intensity and statistics of your magic and applies it on to the database I set up." She pressed a few buttons to turn both of the bands on. "In short terms, it tracks and collects the magic."

Sunset looked at the band on her friend's arm. "Wow, how long did it take you?"

"I was up all night!" Twilight said, getting weird looks from some of them. "I mean like, I'm not obsessed or anything, but it might of taken that long."

"Do ya think perhaps we could get a move on to archery?" Applejack asked, moving her wrist around to get a feel for the new accessory. "I jus' don't want to be late."

"Sounds goooood to me! Let's go!" Pinkie zipped out of there in a few seconds, leaving behind a pink trail in the air.

The other girls soon followed behind her, leaving just Twilight and Rarity, who didn't want to ruin her shoes by running in them like she had the last time. "Twilight dear, are you going to come?"

Suddenly, Twilight stepped back a few feet from her, as if she was concerned about something. "No, no! You go, I'll just stay here and do stuff until it's my turn," she said, pulling her sleeve back down.

There was something peculiar going on, but Rarity couldn't put her finger on it. If it was a big concern, it would have been too obvious to miss. For having a keen eye to detail from all of her fashion designing, she was sure she wouldn't of missed something, even if it was small. Twilight was probably just nervous, and wanted to stay away until the last moment.

"Well, if you do change your mind, you can always come and find us at the archery course," Rarity said, waving goodbye to her before leaving.


Just relax Fluttershy. Do what you had always done in practice and just shoot the bow like normal. It was finally her turn after an agonizing twenty minutes of waiting. Applejack had already gone and done very well, she even ponied up for a moment. Fluttershy hoped she shared the same fate.

She picked up her yellow and pink bow, and stood sideways to the target. Picking one of her butterfly arrows, she latched it on to the bow string and put it in place. Slowly and carefully, she pulled back the string to her cheek. Breathe in, breathe out.

"Fluttershy! It's Rainbow Dash, and I know you can do this! Just focus."

Just focus, okay. She aligned the arrow with the bulls eye, and let go. It shot through the air, and right onto the exact middle of the bulls eye. She heard a cheer from her friends, plus groan from Sour Sweet as she now had done worse than both of the girls.

Getting through the rest of the four shots she needed was a breeze, as she easily flied through with expert shooting skills, even better than Applejack did. She got bulls eyes on all the rest of them, save for the last one when she got a weird jolt from the band as she started to transform.

Her transformation and performance now dying down, she stepped out of the spotlight to greet her friends. They all did a small group hug, and each gave a high five to Fluttershy.

"There, ah knew you could do it Flutters," Applejack said. "To be honest, ah think you even beat me," Applejack put her hat down an inch in a small bit of shame.

Next contestant, Twilight Sparkle. Please step up to the stand and claim your equipment. The announcement blared loudly.

Rarity looked over to the Shadowbolts, who were looking around frantically for her. "I told her not to be late! Why is this taking her so long?!" Indigo Zap panicked. Twilight had only one minute to step up or she was disqualified.

"There she is!" Lemon Zest pointed at what seemed to be nothing, but Twilight appeared about three seconds later from the exact spot. Lemon shared a keen eye to detail with Rarity, and also heard the sound of someone running.

"Your complete and utter weirdness saved us for once Lemon, thank you," Sunny Flare said, practically grabbing Twilight and placing her up there.

In a matter of a few seconds, Twilight picked up the bow, angled it, and had already shot the arrow straight into the bulls eye, similar to Fluttershy. The next three shots were aimed with the same absolute perfect precision, and also went straight in the red middle of the target. The six girls noticed she had built up a glow coming off of her as she finished, dropping the bow and running back to her friends.

Unlike the pony transformations, she kept glowing faintly even ten minutes afterwards, as they waited anxiously for the results. She was just kind of glowing, but like nobody else noticed, except her and the Shadowbolts.

Let's applaud all of our athletes here before I announce the winners. Ok, now for the moment you've all been waiting for... the winner of the girl's archery contest are the Wonderbolts!

All of Canterlot High cheered, hugging each other to celebrate their victory. They had won most events, and were winning by quite a long streak now. It had seemed the tables had turned from the previous years, and they were hoping to keep it that way.

Author's Note:

I really only need about 2 scenes more after this chapter until the finale, so get excited! There's probably only one chapter until the climax then!

The final battle is going to be about 2x longer than any other chapter, because I want to make it the best quality I can.

Also, feel free to put your predictions down below. I'm sure we all know what's going to happen, but how will it start?