• Published 13th May 2012
  • 5,566 Views, 159 Comments

The Everfree Chronicles: The Alchemist - Roran Dreamon



The Everfree Forest, never a safe place for anyone to live in except for one colt, he calls it home.

  • ...
24
 159
 5,566

Chapter 18: Darkness in bloom Part 1

'Oh bright yellow light, wake me up in another hour....I am way too tired to deal with you now.'

"Uuggghhhhh.......why is it that us ponies can create spells that can go back in time, control the astral bodies and even teleport great distances, but we can't even create a spell to make a dimmer switch for the sun..."

Grumbling to the bright light peeking through the window as the rays of light hit me in the eyes, rudely forcing me into consciousness as I yawned quietly to myself as Luna snored softly beside me, my wing serving her as a blanket as I shook my head in an attempt to get rid of my bed mane but it only made it more worse than it originally was. Looking at the sleeping mare before me I let out a small smile and nuzzled her neck before placing a kiss on her horn causing her to shift around in bed before settling back into her cozy spot and resumed her cute snoring as I rolled myself out of bed and into my new slippers that Rarity made for me a few weeks ago, saying that it is the least she can do for her father breaking my horn. One thing I learned about talking to mares is that their fathers, no matter what, will always hate you unless you have proven yourself worthy, and sadly her father hits harder than he looks.

Slowly dragging myself to the bathroom I yawn again but this time not caring for who sees me I open my maw as wide as I could as my wings flex out and shake themselves of any loose feathers before folding themselves back into place, my mane hanging a low and is a complete mess. Getting to the sink I looked at the mirror and let out a third yawn before levitating out my toothbrush, toothpaste, and lastly my secret stash of nightshade pellets for my afternoon tea.

Usually Luna will tell me to stop putting in those lethal seeds into my tea, especially when Celestia is around and even more when delegates and other races of interest show up but I find it confusing as to why they don't want me to drink it? It has a pleasant aftertaste, keeps one awake and that it can easily make one more aware of the environment around them but to me I just think they don't like the smell it produces when it starts to boil in the water. They said it smells like death and that they could smell it for a while even after it is done brewing, I think it smells lovely and that it tastes amazing.

As I brushed my teeth I started to think of the year that passed by, my mind trailing to when Luna and I had our first date which brought a dopey smile to me as I remembered clearly what we did that day, strolled around Canterlot that night, went to a late show, talked about what we have been doing while we were separated for a few weeks, and eventually me leading her back to her room but when I opened that door for her it ended up with Luna pulling me in with her and dancing slowly under the stars. Of course Celestia found out about our little night 'dance' and was smiling slyly as we both entered the dining hall the next day and as always she acted like she knew nothing, but we both knew it wasn't going to work this time with us.

Smiling stupidly I continued brushing my teeth, my face blushing slightly from the many other dates we went on, each of them ending with us dancing under the stars and of course, with me kissing her goodnight and a goodbye hug, and with me leaving with a big dopey smile plastered on my muzzle.

After brushing my teeth and combing out my mane to make it approved for public display and thinking that it was good enough I cleaned up after myself and walked out to see that Luna has rolled over in her bed and is now firmly resting in my spot and is still snoring cutely leaving me to chuckle softly before going out of the room and closing it behind me.

Upon leaving Luna's chamber the two night guards glance me over before nodding at me, the one on the right, the one I have dubbed Sir Frowns-A-Lot and the one on the left who actually has a name which is Oakleaf, oddly enough his name matches his cutie mark, an oak leaf on a book. Saying hello to both of them I made my way out of the castle into the gardens, the sun was just barely cresting over the horizon and knew that it was time for me to return to my castle and to pray to the spirits that my assistant didn't accidentally burn it down to the ground.

Thinking of how he can manage to burn down an entire castle, hill and everything around it sent a shudder down my spine as I realized that if he can manage to burn cereal than he can manage to burn down a marble and onyx castle. Sighing a bit at what my assistant is up to I moved myself away from the halls to the gardens and with a quick flash of my horn I teleported back home in time to see my assistant Miss Moonbloom pour herself a cup of coffee and by all that is normal, it did not burst into flames, but instead it froze itself over.

"I am just going to guess that today is a day that something bad is going to happen. The day that a boiling cup of coffee snap freezes for no real reason is a sign that the end of the world is approaching...or that my eyes are playing really strange tricks on me." I simply said as I squinted a bit at the frozen coffee now resting firmly on the table as Moonbloom just stares at her hooves than to the coffee cup.

And without even a word I thaw out the coffee and levitated it over to her, letting it rest in her hooves but this time it did not freeze over but instead retained its boiling hot status which brought a smile to the both of us but it quickly died when she coughed it back up and for once I actually heard her swear.

"What the buck is this brand? It tastes like one of the royal guards bucking sweaty gym socks!"

I just stared at her slack-jawed, for not once in the year and two months that she was my assistant that I had ever heard her say such words, I mean she came close to saying them when she stubbed her hoof on something or when she tripped and hurt herself but I can only guess the constant burning of her morning oat cereal was bringing her to that breaking point, the coffee was the last straw apparently. When she finally back to her senses and the main sense that I am in the same room as her did she bow down, her face beet red and spitting out a quick apology.

"I am sorry my lord, I-I-I didn't mean to say such things in y-your presence!"

Moving over to her I brought a wing over her and chuckled a bit before speaking up on my behalf. "Bloom, it happens to everypony, we all have one of those days where it seems the universe is out to get us, a few more than others, but we just got to keep on trucking. That and maybe somepony is on a pranking streak and is purposely freezing your coffee and burning your cereal. Either way its okay....and I wonder what this coffee tastes like."

Just as my assistant starts to wave her hooves at me to try to stop me from taking a sip I brought the mug to my lips and took a generous chug but the flavor of said coffee was something to be deeply desired.

I pulled back from the cup and stared at it before staring at Moonbloom, than looked down at the cup before looking at her than to the floor before I started to sputter from the fowl taste assaulting my taste buds.

"Now I know why I sometimes don't drink this....I keep getting the wrong brand at the market....in fact I will just go teleport to Canterlot for my morning coffee from now on until I can figure out where they get theirs." looking back at my mug I placed it back on the countertop before I teleported it away to the shadows, hoping that it might somehow improve the flavoring.

Teleporting myself once again I went from my bedroom to the balcony, the sun just now cresting over the treetops of the Everfree as I gazed at it in awe, its beauty was unmatched in nature, and all within it are perfect, except for the cockatrice, those things are creepy as hell and I find it rather annoying at times to get it to un-stone one of my citizens for being careless with its staring powers.

Thinking back on the day I official took over the Everfree Forest out from under Celestia's control I realized that not only did I just take a large chunk of her land away from her but also that I took the majority of her lumber and stone stockpiles which, has effectively forced her to start looking for other sources of acquiring said precious resources. And said resources are hard to find anywhere else in Equestria since the Everfree is the major provider of both and finding enough lumber and stone for constructive purposes will leave only one route for the both of us.

A deal to be made about lumber and mining rights.

"Hehe, inadvertently making Celestia go to the bargaining table, I know that sooner or later she might try something bold to force me to the table first and to get in edge wise to get the better part of the deal. Moonbloom, I need you to get all records of the lumber and mining companies that Equestria had within the Everfree borders, calculate how much it costed them just to maintained their operations within the lines, and also to find any dirt you can on the companies."

"Yes my king, is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Hmm...yes there is, I will need you to send the wardens out to patrol our borders and arrest anyone that is trying to cut down the trees or haul away any removed stones. They may think that the Everfree Forest is still under the sister's crown but it is no longer."

"Yes sir." my assistant said before bowing and going off to the royal records room to get what I require, while I moved to my throne and turned about to sit in it, shifting a bit to get myself comfortable as the two shadow guards flanking me stare forward, unfazed and unmoved with my presence.

Waiting a bit for Moonbloom to return I pulled out my list of things that is to be done once I make my weekly visit to Canterlot to speak to Celestia about the transition of the shifting balance of power in the world, and so far the list has been made rather short: 1. Tell Twilight I was right about Cockatrice's acting like chickens when left alone, 2. Give Applejack the thumbs up for Zap Apple Season safety rules, 3. Give Fluttershy exclusive rights to enter and exit the Everfree Forest for her woodland critters, 4. Go to Froggy Bottom Bog and tell the hydra's to calm down and stop scaring the surrounding wildlife, 5. Find Trixie, 6. Figure out how one can burn cereal by pouring milk into bowl, 7. Get better coffee brand and lastly 8. Check on petrified uncle. Looking it over quickly I was about to scribble down Ask Luna to move in with me but was cut short when I heard the door on the far side of the throne room open up slowly.

After looking over my list again to make sure that it was everything that I need to get done for the day I placed it by my side to ensure that it doesn't grow legs and wander off when I need it most and after a good few minutes of waiting in my seat my assistant returns. Held tightly beneath her left wing was a ledger and from what I can tell the ledger was more tighter than a can of sardines from the gryphon capital, which meant that juicy juicy information was inside.

"Your majesty, I have the records here and it is fairly interesting that the logging and mining companies have a vast majority of their operations here within the Everfree and since you have claimed it as your own they are going to most likely beg Celestia to allow them to continue their work without having to face us. Is there anything else sir?"

I nodded no as I took the ledger from her with my magic, levitating it over to me as I gave it a look over and only grinned as I saw that each company that worked within the Everfree Forest were trying to stockpile as much lumber and stone as they can get their little hooves on before the switch off was put into effect but I was lucky that I moved faster than Celestia anticipated and claimed the massive stockpiles for myself.

"I can see a very bright future for us Moonbloom...a very...bright future." I said aloud before getting off my throne and trotted toward and out the double doors and out to the courtyard as I watched my newest batch of royal guards train on shadow dummies that I specifically created for their practicing and when a few of them were hit it was meant to simulate an actual wound by having it painted in a very bright pink color, partially to embarrass them for getting hit by their own shadow.

Taking one last look at my guards I teleported myself onto the castle walls, inspecting my forest and taking a big whiff the fresh pine and oak air, the smell bringing a grin to my face as I saw a few of my timber wolves roaming about and a single manticore carrying a pack along with an earth pony, taking a closer look it was Grey Hoof and a large smile was clearly plastered on that muzzle of his and I knew that it was good news.

Fluttering my wings a bit as I felt a feather start to twitch its way free from its old spot as a new one started to grow in its place and just as I got to the base of the stairs he was already inside offloading the pack manticore and I could tell that it was Fluffel since his mane was more outlandish and poofy than the others.

The good news was that the so called lumber stockpiles that I was told that was in the Everfree Forest was in fact near Froggy Bottom Bog and that we had already have our wardens patrolling the buck out of it in case the Equestrian ponies get any bright ideas of trying to smuggle it out from under noses. I promptly hugged my uncle and told him to take a break as I grabbed my own hoofcrafted saddlebag and placed the ledger on the left hoof side and checked it over to ensure that I had enough blank scrolls, filled ink wells and quills and finding everything in its rightful pocket I placed it in its rightful place before teleporting straight to Canterlot taking two of my warden wolves with me.

Upon appearing in front of the castle the two guards that were standing out front nearly fell over as I spontaneously showed up and my two wolves were just staring at the two guards and looked at me as if wanting permission to eat them but I only shook my head no and they lowered their heads as I strode past the two guards as they directed me to the diplomatic/war room and as I was half way there I saw Luna waiting for me and we braced each other for a quick hug but we broke it off as soon as Celestia came trotting by to give us the look of 'Do it on your own time' but we both at the same time stuck our tongues out at her as she scoffs at us for being foalish.

Following close behind her I pulled out my ledger and looked it over once again, looking at every detail no matter how small it may be and placed it back in my saddle just as Luna leaned in to see what it was but I snapped it closed and snickered as she pouted at me for doing that to her.

As we walked into the chamber the door was closed behind us and I took my seat near Luna as her sister sat adjacent to her and as we got comfortable Prince Blueblood took a seat near Celestia as he gave me the evil eye, and in return I gave him one but also gave a quick telepathic motion to my wolves to stare at him as well which made him back off, since being stared at by an alicorn followed by two armored wolves is a recipe for disaster.

It was a little after ten in the morning when the remaining ponies started pouring in, numerous heads of merchant families, corporate leaders and other heads of power within Equestria as I sat their with the look of not amused and it was from a nudge by Luna did I at least sit upright before Celestia made a motion for the doors to be closed again as the meeting began.

"It is good for all of you to join us this morning mares and gentlecolts, today we have in our presence the ruler of the Everfree Forest Prince Nightshade Umbraspark, and as many of you already know my nephew Prince Blueblood. Today we are going to be discussing the recent change of events stemming from the creation of the Everfree nation and with it the lose of many different routes of revenue for our treasury." Celestia said as they are started to pull out their respectable scrolls, ink and quills as I levitated mine out as well as the ledger, placing it close to myself as both Celestia and Luna look at it with curious stares.

"And as you can see because of the recent creation we are now going to be having a hard time finding a new adequate location of lumber and quarry stone, that is unless an agreement can be made...Nightshade?" Celestia kept speaking before resting her eyes on mine as I shook my wings a bit before straightening myself out to speak up.

"Well Celestia, one can be made but first I would just like to lay out some ground rules for this so called 'Agreement' that you are trying to throw out onto the table. Firstly, that so called 'adequate' supply was more like an abundant surplus that I have reclaimed for my own ponies and diamond dogs. Secondly, I know that you had tried to send in your guards to try and to reclaim those stockpiles because I had just received a letter from my assistant that my wardens have caught them trying to move the wagons away without my insight, as those captured guards are now sitting in my dungeons. And I am only going to say this once, From my lands you steal its my dungeons you rot in, and just because you are a citizen of Equestria does not even come remotely close to giving you diplomatic immunity from the laws of the forest." I said as I moved a scroll that was slowly writing itself with an ink dancing on top, writing word for word that Moonbloom is putting down back at my castle.

"You did what!" Blueblood shouted as I smirked at him, Celestia's left eye twitched and Luna was just staring at me gasped in shock.

"I captured your guards for trespassing on royal property and for attempted grand theft. For those two crimes they would be rotting in a black cell for ten years but since I am feeling nice and that Luna would more than likely say it would be a favor on my part to her that I give the guards back, which I will right after Celestia says she is sorry for trying to but cloak and dagger move she just tried to play." I calmly said with a plain expression, trying to play it cool as I was laughing inside from not only making her plan backfire but for also saying it publicly in front of other key ponies in Canterlot.

It was only after a few minutes did Celestia stop fuming at me did she mutter an apology before I made her repeat it by making her shout it out to me, the other ponies in the room shrinking back in fear of their solar leader.

"Apology accepted, and now onto those stockpiles, just to keep the relations between us two on solid ground, you will be getting them back..." I said letting it hang in the air as Celestia and Luna sigh in relief but it was Blueblood that caught it on as I resumed speaking, "..you will be getting back only half of the stockpiles as the rest will be put to use within my kingdom for constructing and fortifying the towns and villages within the trees and mountains." and with a smirk I can tell that Celestia was almost audio-ably grinding her teeth but it was with that she signed the pact and stamped her seal on it before passing it over to me that I did the same.

During the meeting I passed the ledger to Luna who opened it to find that inside was the statistical analysis of how much lumber and stone that was stockpiled within the Everfree Forest and Luna gasped before Celestia glanced over to see that the exact amount of both resources was enough to rebuild Canterlot in the event it gets leveled during an earthquake that is destructive enough to damage the very foundations of the city.

Just as the meeting was coming to an end the agreements between Equestria and the Everfree were coming into a sort of 'null zone' agreement, one that states that neither sides military forces would try to enter without permission from the opposing sides leader, and that companies that worked the lumber yards and quarry sites will have to operate and half capacity since the forest can only regenerate what it loses to the saws and mills, and that I had to give back the guards that we captured for snooping around.

"Oh and Celestia?" I said as everypony started to grab their things and head for the door.

"Hmm?"

"If I see another of your Wonderbolts flying over my forest to spy on us, they will be brought down to the ground as a flying statue." and with that I trotted out of the room only to be stopped as Celestia was given an urgent message that something bad happened.

"How in Tartarus did Discord escape! Flash Sentry, send word to Twilight Sparkle to assemble the Elements of Harmony and to get here with all haste."

I only had to tilt my head to the side a bit to get something out of my ear that was messing with my hearing earlier but when she said Discord I shook my head a bit before thinking back to what my real father said back in his tomb, saying that Discord was somehow related to me by being my uncle and all, but the part that is making me wonder is, how in the seven hells is he even in our family tree?


An Hour Later


Sitting alone in the gardens, I was in front of where Discord used to be as I was surrounded by bits of marble and dust as the pedestal was devoid of the statue that it was meant to be holding up. Staring at the empty spot I glanced around trying to figure out how he managed to get out of his prison let alone not found or even caught, but than again he is elusive and loves to mess with the minds of ponies but to escape on my lazy day.

As I sat there waiting for him to show up I faintly hear a commotion to my right and after hearing a classic evil laugh I got up and made my way over to the scene only to stop before teleporting between the mares and the draconequus were staring off at each other but when his eyes met mine I knew that it was my uncle, but sadly he has the worst timing ever to speak.

"Beloved nephew! So glad you can visit your poor old uncle just as he is released from his prison sentence! You came to help me out haven't you?" Discord shouted with joy as he picked me up from under my front hooves as I squealed in fear and from being manhandled so easily.

It was at that moment did I start to hate Discord so much, first was that he just shouted that I was his 'nephew' and that I was going to help him 'escape', but it was only made worse when Luna and Celestia were flying into my view and land next to him did they stop staring at him to stare at me.

"Nephew?" Luna said as I felt many angry and confused stares in my general direction.

"Oh buck..."