• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,973 Views, 1,224 Comments

dC/dt ≠ 0 - I Thought I Was Toast



A look into changeling and pony culture as changelings attempt to integrate and make peace with Equestria.

  • ...
45
 1,224
 10,973

PreviousChapters Next
Meeting the Town (Twilight) Part 1

Changing Times’ Notes: Foals and nymphs are such wonderful, innocent, creatures. When the adults of Equestria responded to the idea of integration with confusion, suspicion, or fear, it was often the foals who led the way. Their innocent curiosity would tempt them to interact with the changelings when nopony else would. It was their dauntless courage that would ease many of our minds on the matter.

Meeting the Town: A Report by Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria

I went to bed the night Celestia officialized negotiations, confident we could handle any reaction. The next morning I woke to find things wouldn’t be so simple, but it was still a far cry from the prophecies of doom and gloom Morpheus and Webber were spouting.

Not that Morpheus believed his predictions per se, but I’ve found Webber isn’t the only analyst to hyperfocus on the worst case scenarios. Between the dire predictions of ruin from his analysts and the unscrupulous nature of most of the other lords, Mo was under a lot of pressure to look out for impractical and implausible coincidences.

“Twilight.”

The distinct feeling of scaly claws and a dragon calling my name woke me from slumber. Wanting to drowse but not to grouse, I snatched Spike from beside me and dragged him under the covers to snuggle.

“Twilight, come on! I need you to wake up!”

Spike struggled to break free from my unyielding grip as his inner fire warmed me from comfy to cozy. I mumbled something about two more hours—or maybe it was five minutes—and he settled down, resting his head in the crook of my neck.

“Alright, then… But it’s not my fault if the mob breaks through the door to lynch the bug.”

The rich aroma of coffee hit my nostrils—almost but not quite enough to draw me from slumber—and it took a couple minutes for his statement to snake its way through the current quagmire of my thoughts.

“Mob?!” The jolt of energy was short lived, and I didn’t surge so much as flounder out of bed, the blankets and Spike coming with me. Trapped in a cocoon on the floor with a grumbling dragon, I lifted a hoof to blindly grasp for the coffee on my bedside table even as my mind threatened to shut down once more. I burst forth from my confines so the bitter ambrosia could meet my tongue, and as I chugged it down I could feel a tingling warmth spreading through me as I truly started to wake up.

“Just as I was getting comfy, too…” the blankets grumbled.

“Sorry.” I lifted Spike from the blankets to nuzzle him before placing him on my back. Grabbing the second cup he’d so thoughtfully provided, I looked out the window. “Now what’s this about a… mob?”

There was indeed a group of ponies in front of Castle, although calling them a mob seemed somewhat of an overstatement. Timid, murmuring, and awkward shuffling accompanied nervous glances towards the morning paper; everypony had their morning paper.

Then, a flash of light momentarily blinded me. “Princess Twilight?! Princess Twilight! Is it true you’re secretly harboring a changeling lovechild?!” The reporter had come from nowhere, camera blazing like a dying star. I had little opportunity to hear the crowd’s murmuring increase in volume before the window promptly shut itself and disappeared in a flash of light.

“I don’t think that’s helping, Castle.” I frowned.

“It was hilarious, though.” Spike giggled. “I would have loved to see that reporter’s face.”

“Come on….” I sighed. “Let’s go grab Morpheus and try to diffuse things. You got the paper, Spike?”

“It’s could be worse.” Ever the number one assistant, Spike held the paper before me. “It should be worse,” he muttered.

“Now, Spike...” I grabbed the news in my telekinesis and scanned it while continuing through Castle. There wasn’t anything too bad. It was just the official statement from Celestia to the rest of Equestria. “Are you still hung up on the changeling thing?”

“No!” His claws bit into me just enough to hurt. “Not really… maybe… sorta… I’ll… I’ll get over it.”

I turned my head to study him. “Are you sure? I mean, with the negotiations officially starting, I can probably have the others help house everypony. It isn’t much, but it would give you a little more space.”

“No, no….” He waved a claw dismissively. “Luna says I need to get used to them, and that avoiding Morpheus in Canterlot wasn’t helping.” He took a deep breath. “Besides, what kind of assistant would I be if I messed up your work? I’ll be fine.”

I squinted at him, and he tried to smile. “Alright then. As long as you’re sure….”

“Positive!” He nodded stiffly.

Turning around a corner, I saw Morpheus’ room down the next hall. The giant hulking beast that was Hera stood motionless beside the door. Not just black, she had blue chitinous plates that gleamed with a polished shine like armor as she stared stolidly into the distance. Like last night, her haws were closed such that I couldn’t see her eyes, adding to the eerie statue-esque quality of her demeanour.

“Hello!” I waved as we approached.

There was no response, and her silence was almost more palpable than it had been last night at the party.

“May we see Morpheus, please?” I decided a more formal approach might be best. She had certainly seemed uncomfortable at the party—standing off to the side silently the entire time.

He— She? It was hard to tell, but I think Morpheus had referred to them with female terms.

She stared at me for a moment, horn glowing, and I felt the familiar tingle of a scanning spell wash over me. As it passed, she met my gaze for a few moments—staring into me with those blank azure orbs—before nodding tersely. As I started to pass her, she held out a hoof to stop me.

“If you would, please try not to stress him further.” She thrummed, her voice a moderately low but unquestionably female tone. There was something in the timbre made it smoother than the prince’s.

I watched her for a moment, but—beyond retracting her hoof—she refused to move any more. Even her breathing was so controlled as to make her seem still as death itself. Entering the room beyond, I saw Morpheus at his desk, scribbling on a parchment.

“Ah, Twilight!” He didn’t even look up. “I was just about to come looking for you. Ve’ve been receiving some reports of unrest throughout Equestria from my agents, and Spi just confirmed we have a potential mob outside. Have you seen the morning paper yet? Ve already tried talking with Celestia about it via proxy, but she turned us away saying not to worry about anywhere but Ponyville.”

“I’m sure—" I started.

His wings buzzed momentarily as his echo fractured. “How can she expect me not to worry?! I mean, it would be folly to blindly hope everything turns out alright—no matter how well things turned out with you and the others—and our projections estimate that—"

“Dude, slow down. The paper really isn’t that bad.” Spike hopped down from my back.

Morpheus blew on the paper’s surface to dry it as he set his quill down. Glaring at it for a moment, he nodded before crumpling it up and incinerating it. “Of course it isn’t that bad, but even Celestia’s hundreds of years worth of experience with the press doesn’t guarantee a perfect pitch, and ponies were skittish of changelings even when we were just myths and fairy tales.”

“Morpheus….” I walked up to set my hoof on his withers. “I’m sure everything is going to be fine. Aren’t you excited, though? You’ve made huge progress in just a few weeks. I can’t speak for all of Equestria, but it was no small feat convincing me, my friends, and even the princesses of your goodwill.”

He bit his chops. “Applejack is still on the fence, and ve’re not sure Rainbow is convinced, either. She acts like she is, but ve think it might just be bravado for your sake—kind of like how Spike is currently nodding in sympathy to hide his actual feelings of me.”

“Hey!” Spike balled his claws at his sides and stomped.

“I’m sorry, but you’re clearly not over you’re hostility towards me.” Morpheus shrugged.

“I’m trying!” Spike stomped again and snorted the tiniest gout of flame.

“Boys.” I didn’t shout so much as project my presence with Celestia’s ‘Mother Equis’ voice, and they both immediately went silent. Nodding in thanks when it was clear I had the floor, I looked to Morpheus. “Even if some of the others don’t trust you fully yet, you’ve at least convinced us all to give you a chance. That means something.” I ruffled my wings and puffed my chest out. “Hay, it convinced Celestia to officially declare negotiations! You should be proud about all you’ve accomplished.”

“Too much, too fast….” The prince pinched the bridge of his muzzle between one of the holes in his hoof. “The lords and even some of my loyal subjects are nervous—many of the analysts in particular—at how infeasible my progress is. Too much of a good thing bodes ill for when things turn south.”

I tsked. “Don’t sell yourself short. There were plenty of obstacles along the way.” You’ve earned your chance, regardless of what anypony says.”

He huffed, buzzing his wings. “I know that. Ve know that. They do not. Remember that our initial projections for negotiations were quite dire.” Irritated buzzing gave way to a thoughtful thrum. “They’ve seen my reports—even some of my memories—but they cannot believe. To believe is to have hope, and that is something they cannot afford.”

Spike snorted. “Don’t be such a drama queen.”

Morpheus shook his head. “It is not dramatic flare. It is stating the facts. We wouldn’t have survived as long as we have with impractical ideas like hope providing a false sense of security. Hope holds you up to make the fall that much farther—something analysts can’t afford when trying to create a non-biased web of probability.”

He shrugged. “As for the lords, they just don’t want me to succeed in general. Some of them are alright, but the majority of them want the throne. Any success on my part has a negative impact on that goal.”

“Well then, I guess we should keep the ball rolling.” I smiled. “Let’s prove the analysts wrong and throw a wrench in the other lords gears by introducing you to the town.”

“I would advise against that.”

I nearly jumped out of my skin when Hera spoke from behind me. She had apparently entered at some point without me noticing. Had she followed me in? No. I would have heard it if she followed me in, or Spike would have seen her—hulking behemoth that she was.

“It would be a huge security risk to show yourself, My Lord. Without more guards, I’m going to have to insist you remain in the castle.” The guard stood completely rigid as she relayed her intent.

“Hera…” Morpheus sighed. “We went over this before I left….”

The warrior seemed to expand, enlarging herself such that she towered above me. Her wings buzzed, and her voice thrummed with power. “We did, and because of our talk you were assaulted by the Element of Loyalty.”

I winced at the accusation, but this was still a prime opportunity to see changeling behavioral dynamics. Feeling only a little guilty, I stepped to the sides and conjured my notebook.

Morpheus’ wings buzzed in reply to his friends words, making his wings seem larger and more menacing as he and Hera stalked each other—circling each other, looking for weakness.

“You can’t protect me from everything.”

“I can try, sir. I can try.”

“And if it costs us everything to hide me away?”

“Then I’ll have at least done my job.”

“Your job is to protect me for the good of the hive. If it’s to the betterment of the hive, then my safety is only a secondary goal.”

“I didn’t become a warrior for the hive. I became a warrior for you and your vision.”

Morpheus hesitated, and Hera advanced, forcing him to take a step back.

“My duty is to you first and the hive second, whether you like it or not. You are going to stay in this castle until everything blows over.”

“It won’t blow over until ve make it blow over! That is our duty!” The prince snorted and stomped the ground. “Follow us if you must, but you will mind your place in the scheme of things!” His echo fractured, seeming to come as a chorus from everywhere and nowhere as he advanced now and Hera retreated.

Spike poked me and gestured between the two, raising an eyebrow. Seeing just how much Morpheus’ plates rippled and surged over his body, I sighed internally. It seemed we had a friendship problem.

When no other protest was made by Hera, Morpheus burst into flames to emerge as Wicked. Looking in the mirror, he shook his head before shedding the disguise and walking through the door. “Come on, Twilight.”

I cantered to catch up, snatching Spike up once again. “Wait!” Slowing as I reached him, I hissed. “What was all that about? I thought you wanted your friends to treat you as more than a lord. ‘Mind your place.’ Are you insane? That probably took a lot of courage for her to say!”

In the corner of my eye, I saw a titanous beige pegasus exit his room to follow us.

The prince bit his chops. “Things are different with Hera.... She isn’t afraid to tell me I’m being stupid….” He squirmed looking over his shoulder to see our stalker. “Normally, she isn’t quite as vocal, but that’s not the issue here.”

“Then what is the issue?” I arched my eyebrow.

“I’m not made of glass.” He frowned at the floor passing beneath us. “As much as it’s her job to protect me, it’s my job to provide for her and the rest of the hive, and I need to go out and meet the town to do that.”

He flicked his wings. “Any other ling I’d love to have stand up to me, but Hera already does that. What she doesn’t do is open up. You know, today was the first time I ever heard her say her duty was to me and not the hive? I didn’t know she felt that way. That’s… I… Ve always assumed…”

He trailed off, and I didn’t press things.

“Assuming makes an ass of you and me.” There was a snort from my back.

“Spike, language!” I chided, craning my neck around to scowl at him.

“What?” Spike shrugged. “It isn’t speciesist if the donkeys made the saying.”

“That’s not the point! The point is that—” I shook my head. “Doesn’t matter. Getting side-tracked.” I turned back to Morpheus. “Look, maybe Hera wasn’t just standing up to you. Maybe she was just trying to reach out? I mean, you said she usually doesn’t mind admonishing you, so maybe she thought it’d be better to start on familiar ground?”

“Maybe….” Morpheus droned.

“Just talk to her about it.” I nudged him. “You might be surprised to find your friends never left you at all. I know she certainly seemed concerned when she told me not to stress you out earlier.”

“Really?” He tilted his head. “It didn’t sound that way to me.”

“I have a brother in the guard.” I giggled. “Trust me. I know what concerned stoicism sounds like.” I cocked my head to the side. “Can’t you taste it?”

He flinched. “No… I can’t…. It’s expected of the others to maintain a filter of respectful silence around me. That’s why I haven’t had a heart to heart in so long….”

Oh…. My stomach churned. That sounded like being trapped in a library where the books wouldn’t open.

“You haven’t had a what?” Spike asked.

“A heart to heart…” Morpheus chirped, wings rubbing together to make the mournful sound of a lone violin. “It’s a method of communication involving fluctuation of one’s emotions. It’s not something I’ve been able to take part in for a long time.”

Spike scratched his chin. “That sounds….” His face scrunched as he trailed off, and it began to purple as he tried to find the words and failed. After a few moments, I couldn’t watch it any longer and gave him a brief nuzzle to let him know he didn’t have to try too hard.

“Twilight….” Spike squirmed from the contract, but I could feel him start to relax, claws easing some of their hold on my back. He caught sight of Morpheus grinning and glared. “Not. A. Word.”

“Not even thanks?” The prince chirped a much more happy sounding whistling whir. “I could taste the emotion behind your sentiment even if you couldn’t say it.”

“Nope! No thanks!” Spike huffed. “I just had a moment of weakness in judgement.”

I didn’t know whether to smile or sigh at the admission.

“Alright then.” Morpheus’ grin faltered, but didn’t fade. “I’ll keep what you said in mind, though, Twilight. Who knows… maybe it’ll be easier than I think it’ll be—” He looked back at our looming shadow. “—especially when she just eavesdropped on our entire conversation.”

“It’s not eavesdropping if you say it where anyling can hear it, sir.” Hera wasn’t even phased at the accusation.

“You did tell me that once.” I rubbed the back of my head.

“Yes, of course.” Morpheus gave a ghost of a smile to his friend. “I was just checking that you heard all of that.”

“I will neither confirm nor deny what I may or may not have heard.” Hera droned.

“Don’t give me that!” Morpheus snorted. “Just come up here for a bit. We need to talk.”

Turning the corner, the entrance hall finally revealed itself. Spi, the Echo triplets, and Errant were peaking out the window—Errant waving every now and then—while Webber stood stiffly by the door, eyes glossed over.

Spike hopped off my back and waddled over to climb up and take a look himself. Sitting on the window sill, he scrutinized the outside, muttering to himself.

“Darn it….” Morpheus sighed as Hera moved up to our side. “Nevermind… I didn’t realize we were this close. I’ll talk to you in private later. Okay?” He bared his fangs in a smile only to have it falter when Hera nodded tersely. Turning from her, he addressed Webber. “Probabilities report!”

Webber cocked his massive cranium to the side, neck clicking and ticking like clockwork. “But, My Lord, you’ve seen the report. You’re reviewing it with us right now.”

He gestured to me. “Twilight hasn’t heard it, has she?”

Webber bit his chops. “No. I suppose not, but it is highly irregular to—”

“Please,” Morpheus interrupted. “Share your work with Twilight.”

“Alright…” Webber gulped as he turned to me, and the plates over his throat rippled in response. “Well, reports on other parts of Equestria are still coming together, but so far it has led to nothing more than concerned citizens gathering outside of the local center of government.”

He nodded to me. “Ponyville, Canterlot, and the Crystal Empire being the exceptions, of course. Princesses are much more… comforting, shall we say. Ve believe they are mostly in shock and disbelief at the moment. Confirmation of the truth could result in anything from fanning the flames of their fears to causing riots to simply creating a general wariness that could easily fracture into something worse.”

“Sticking to the bright side of things, I see.” I deadpanned.

“It is not my job to look on the bright side of things,” Webber droned. “But, if you must know, there is a chance the wariness will fade in time as integration progresses.”

“Only a chance, wonderful.” I rolled my eyes.

“Yes, it’s much better than the slight chance it would have been had the prince here not met such success in his endeavors so far.” The analyst apparently couldn’t detect my sarcasm. “Your support here is essential.”

“I see.” I resisted the urge to say something else sarcastic. “Do you have any suggestions on what course of action to take?”

He nodded. “The other Elements are already in the crowd, ready to come to your aid. Don’t let the reporters antagonize you unless you want to end up in the scandal of the century, and be prepared to teleport to safety. The chance of hostilities being directed towards you is minimal, but it does exist.”

He paused, biting his chops. “Y-you may also wish to take Errant with you.” He seemed to almost fight to say the words, his echo fracturing into a stutter. “T-there is a high chance the appearance of nymphs will help placate the crowd.”

I narrowed my eyes at him. “You want me to do what?”

He lowered his head, refusing to meet my gaze. “I’d prefer he stay here, b-but all our projections estimate a higher chance of success if you take him outside.”

I ruffled my wings, looking back and forth between the door and Webber. “I don’t think—"

“I wanna go! I wanna go!” Errant jumped from the window to make a beeline for me. Stopping to hover in front of my face, their haws retreated to give me the biggest puppy dog eyes I’d ever seen. “I wanna help uncle Mo Mo with negations!”

“Negotiations.” Morpheus coughed.

“Negotiations!” Errant trilled.

“Errant!” Webber stomped a hoof. “What have I said about opening your haws?”

“Not to do it in front of royalty?” Errant blinked said haws. “You also told uncle Mo we need to do away with all those stupid, stuffy traditions. Keeping my haws closed is one of those.”

Morpheus cackled. “They’ve got you there, Webber.”

“I— Ve— You—" Webber sputtered.

“Come on….” The puppy eyes were back on me. “I wanna help….” The eyes got bigger and bigger until they threatened to take up his entire head. Each blink shrouded his head in blue, and I didn’t know whether to find it horrific or adorable.

Diverting my eyes from them to Webber, I tried to resist. “How would he be helpful?”

“Well…” Webber hesitated. “Theoretically, they would end up playing with one of the foals Spi spied in the crowd while you talked to the town, and that would facilitate feelings of care, sympathy, joy, and other emotions common in child rearing.”

It was a dirty move, but I couldn’t deny the logic to it. Errant was very foal-like. It was something ponies could relate to despite the other differences changelings presented.

“Alright…” I relented, turning back to Errant, “…but only if you make a very special promise not to eat anything. Parents might freak out if they think you’re eating their foals emotions.”

“Ah pwomise.”

“Hnng!” Why were they doing the pouty lip? That just wasn’t fair! He was already going out! “Not— Not that kind of promise.” I smiled. “Repeat after me. Cross my heart, and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye.” Raising my hoof I went through the motions.

“What kinda promise is that?” Errant cocked their head to the side, ear tube flicking.

“It’s a Pinkie Promise.”

“Why’s it called that?”

“Well, because breaking a promise is the fastest way to lose a friend…” I trailed off for the inevitable storm of Pinkie Pie, but it didn’t come. “Huh.… Normally, Pinkie bursts in to say—"

“Forever!” The entirety of Castle shook from the exclamation.

“Woah…” Errant looked towards the door in awe as the other changelings—sans Morpheus—hissed. “Count me in if it’s got that kinda power backing it! Cross my heart, and hope to fly. Stick a cupcake in my eye!” They sealed the deal by emulating the motions I had showed them. “Woohoo! Let’s go knock’em dead!” They ran towards the door to begin dragging it open.

“Ready?” I asked, turning to Morpheus.

“As ve’ll ever be.” He thrummed. “Ve just wish those foals Spi spied weren’t wearing Crusader capes.”

Wait. What? I hadn’t known that. I turned to stop Errant, but he was already through the door.

“Oh, no…”

Author's Note:

Changeling interactions finally!

Thanks to Malefactory for editting this time. Critique is always welcome, but try to say at least one positive thing amid any negative comments. It may not seem like much, but it can be the difference between a comment appearing to be a senseless bash rather than thoughtful advice.

Obligatory Patreon Link

PreviousChapters Next