• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,993 Views, 1,224 Comments

dC/dt ≠ 0 - I Thought I Was Toast



A look into changeling and pony culture as changelings attempt to integrate and make peace with Equestria.

  • ...
45
 1,224
 10,993

PreviousChapters Next
To Move The Heavens Themselves (Twilight) Part 1

Changing Time’s Notes: Sometimes our hearts get the best of us. No pony—or ling—is truly immune to the siren call of emotions. Changelings may talk of limiting their emotions, but in the end that was always their biggest mistake—crafting a crutch that has taken far too long to overcome. It has made them all the more vulnerable, even if it was useful or needed at times.

And it seems the Everfree Hive had certainly realized this, given this report.

I have seen—neigh, lived—the ultimate consequences of such rigid filtering, stoppering, and general bottling of emotions. The prince himself believed Twilight was better suited to handle reporting the first trip to the Everfree Hive, but he gave me the same memories and myths he and the others were granted that day, and it is my regret to say that Twilight Sparkle’s retelling cannot truly give them justice. Even she admitted as much when I voiced my concerns on the matter. In the end, I can only hope your curiosity is peaked enough to seek the truth yourself.

If you are such a pony, find someling and ask: can love truly be strong enough to move the heavens themselves?

To Move the Heavens Themselves: A Report by Princess Twilight Sparkle of Equestria

The trip to the Hive was simply fascinating. We might have experienced a few hiccups getting there, but the trip was well worth it. I got page after page of notes, but that wasn’t even the most exciting part. Deep in the bowels of the Everfree Hive we were given a choice. It was a choice to—

Ah, forgive me. I’m getting far too ahead of myself in my excitement. It’s just what I experienced was so—

Right, right. I’m doing it again. Let me start at the beginning. I had invited all my friends to come, but only Rainbow and Rarity had found the time to tag along. Applejack and Fluttershy were busy expanding the vampire fruit bat sanctuary, and Pinkie had been called to Canterlot by the Cutie Map. I had asked Castle if Pinkie could wait to go, but he was being less than cooperative.

“What?” I blinked, tilting my head, but Castle’s response remained just as enigmatic.

It is not my place to say yes or no, Mistress, but the Department of Taxes has dire need of Miss Pie’s unique perspective. —Friendship Castle”

My muzzle wrinkled further. “Seriously, what? I don’t even— How is the DoT—” My eye twitched once.

At least, I think it did…. It was at least the first twitch I noticed, and I quickly performed Cadance’s breathing exercise.

I. Must. Not. Freak. Out.

This was nowhere near the most stressful thing this week, but Pinkie ‘color-coded’ her taxes in crayon. She’d drive whoever was involved up the wall in a heartbeat.

“Can I at least get a name to make things quicker?”

Pinkie was pronking while she said that. She always pronked, and the DoT had rules on pronking. I would know. I had had to sit through a 3-hour lecture—one that I’d found boring—on the perils of improper pronking when Celestia took me as a filly.

The map flickered, replacing Pinkie’s Cutie Mark with a small scatter plot, and I couldn’t help snickering. “Oh, I wish I could see this…. Pinkie, I know who you’re going to visit. He’s one of the nastiest ponies I’ve ever met.”

“Who is it?! Who is it?!” The party pony froze mid-hop. “Wait! Don’t tell me! I want it to be a surprise!”

I shook my head. “He’s not the kind of pony you want to be surprised by, Pinkie. His name is Mean Norm, and, if you live to make others smile, he lives to make other ponies miserable. I would almost pay to see what happens when you two meet, but my trip to the Everfree has to come first.”

Pinkie waggled her head back and forth as if unsure which direction to tilt it. “You make it sound like he’s nothing but a mean ol’ meanie pants! I’m sure he can’t be that”

I shook my head, sighing. “Let me put it this way. Just to spite the guard for ‘invading his privacy with changeling checks,’ he went from door to door to get a petition signed that would exempt him. It took him only a week to get a declaration that all of Canterlot hated him, and he used that to demand that he couldn’t be a changeling, and that he shouldn’t be subject to the monthly changeling checks.”

Pinkie’s head settled on tilting left. “Isn’t that just what a changeling would do, though?”

“Pinkie, he’s proud enough of how nasty he is to walk from door to door and get ponies to hate him. If he was a changeling, he wouldn’t be able to feed.” I massaged my forehead with one hoof.

Her head flip-flopped to tilt right. “Yeah, but he could just be acting mean. It doesn’t matter if Mean Norm is unlovable. If he’s a changeling he could be all ‘fwoosh!’ and turn into Median Rare, barbeque master of the tax system—feeding on the love of fellow workers as he cooks up a storm of honey-smoked vegetable kabobs and broken hearts.”

My hoof froze, and I could feel the hairs of my coat beneath my hoof splitting. “Why didn’t any of us think of that?! My brother spent weeks trying to figure out a way to check him!”

“You mean there’s really a barbeque master in the tax department?” Pinkie was salivating.

I twitched again, briefly. “No, the secondary disguise thing!”

Pinkie giggled. “Well, it is just a teensy bit scary to think changelings could be anywhere or anypony, so it’d be even scarier if one changeling was more than one pony. Maybe he was expecting everypony to not think about it too hard.” She tapped her chin. “Or maybe I’m wrong, and he’s just not himself when he’s hungry. I’ll have to pack extra Nickers bars.”

The logic of Pinkie Pie was a dangerous beast to stalk, and I took care not to follow it too far down the rabbit hole.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come with us first, though?” I sighed. “Even if Mean Norm might actually be a changeling, I’d really appreciate you coming with me first.”

Her smile became almost painfully wide. “No, I’m sure! After yesterday, it’s probably not a good idea for me to go.”

I tilted my head to the side. “Did something happen? Morpheus got back really late last night, so I didn’t get to ask him how things went.”

Pinkie was silent for a moment before slumping. Her head fell so far forward that it almost kissed the ground. “Kinda…. Just being near me makes him go all loopy after a while. I’m just glad Mrs. Cake was so exhausted from the twins when she saw him that she thought she was seeing double.”

I tilted my head. “What did you do to stop everypony else from panicking?”

Pinkie squirmed slightly. “Umm… I might have convinced him it was easier to bake with wings and a horn, and he might have taken that to mean look like an alicorn. Wanna guess who he picked?”

“Not really….” I sighed, turning to the door.

“Okie! Dokie! Lokie!” I could hear Pinkie begin to sprong along behind me—her cheer was never shaken for long. “Just ignore the words ’Dusk’ and ‘Shine’ and ‘failed experiment.’ He wasn’t thinking straight enough to be a mare most of the time. On the bright side, I make one smoking stallion. Literally! I don’t think I’ve ever seen a stallion smoke before, or bubble for that matter! Bubble Berry had a very bubbly butt!”

I had stopped for a second, shuddering violently in hopes of shaking that particular mental image. “Pinkie… too much information.”

Pinkie had left an hour ago, and everything I needed for a basic trek into the Everfree had been packed, checked, double checked, and triple checked. I had had to repack when I realized I had accidentally started eating one of the trail mix bags in boredom, but at least it completely validated my worries over whether I needed to quadruple check everything. Morpheus had yet to rise, and we were going to be tardy if he slept much longer.

Finally unable to wait any longer, I ventured back upinto Castle to check his room. There was no response when I knocked the first time, so I knocked again with a bit more oomph. Once more there was no answer, so my hoof slowly pushed his door open, and I inched inside—eyes closed just in case.

“Hello?”

The sliver of light from the hall was consumed by the darkness within. My horn brought more light to the void, but even that seemed hampered, as if the shadows dripped down upon us.

Creepy darkness aside, what I could see certainly looked normal. The dressers were perfectly aligned. The shelves were dust free. The bed was made and empty except for a bedside mint and a note. There was no changeling prince, however, which merited further investigation.

Flicking the table lamp on with my magic, I trotted over to read the note.

Look up not around, Mistress.”

A drop of green goo plopped onto the note, hissing slightly, and a slight glow, similarly colored, entered the upper limits of my peripheral vision. The skittering sound that I’d been successfully ignoring since entering the room decided that was a good time to start clawing at my ears.

So I ever-so-slowly looked up.

Just beyond the range of normal line of sight—visible only if a visitor decided they wanted to look at the ceiling—was a web. Both fascinating and disturbing in its viscous composition, I could not tell if its strands were a fluid glue or a solid silk. It seemed to bend and twist and absorb the light from the room, increasing it’s glow in turn, and through it dozens—no hundreds—of little black scarabs swarmed. I could feel my stomach drop at the sight of them, and my mouth opened up to scream. It did so a few times, but no sound escaped while the bugs swarmed to the center where the prince was all but cocooned in the web.

The scarabs wings buzzed, elongating in little bursts of green fire to turn into shrill, sharp chirps, driving into my eardrums like a dentist drilling teeth. My brain was assaulted with similar stabs from their skittering thoughts and feelings—like lemon-scented millipedes decided to crawl over my brain—and it was in that terror-filled moment I discovered where stallions got that horrible stereotype for screaming like a filly.

I was vaguely aware that I was, in fact, screaming, but the only feedback that informed me any sound was made at all was the panicked scattering of the skittering things and the jump Morpheus gave. He launched himself from the cocoon-like strands in surprise, and I quickly found myself in a tangled pile with him as he landed on me.

“I see yesterday was productive.” He hissed, each eye retreating behind its respective haw.

“You laid eggs in my castle?!” I sputtered scrambling to my feet. I could hear them scritch-scratching about the shadows.

He had the gall to simply scuff the floor, clenching his leg holes open and close while smiling sheepishly. “Maybe? Ve can’t actually remember anything I did yesterday. It’s all a sugary blur.”

The lights flickered and writing appeared on the wall. “You mentioned something about wanting some company if I recall. Desired to make some bits. —Friendship Castle”

“You didn’t!” I wailed, picking up a pillow to hit the prince with. “That. Is. Illegal. In. Equestria!” Each word was punctuated with the satisfying thwap of a pillow.

He, in turn, desperately tried to interrupt my righteous crusade. “Wait– A– Second– It’s– Not– Like– That!”

I paused, glaring through the rain of feathers. “I thought you said you didn’t remember anything?”

He gave a few exasperated tsks and clicks. “Ve don’t, but you’re taking that out of context. Bits are a basic form of livestock. They have to be created through the manipulation of an asexually produced egg. It’s impossible for any form of mating to result in them.”

Curiosity peaked, I tilted my head, continuing to glare, pillow at the ready. “But mating can still happen? The other day you said changelings didn’t reproduce like that.”

His ears clunked against the back of his head as he shrank inwards. “It’s just so hard to wrap our head around changelings like Lyra and Third Eye existing again…. I-it wasn’t a lie. I promise….”

I cringed as his slight echo fractured into the stutter, and my own ears splayed back as I saw how fast he made the motions to a Pinkie Promise. “Hold on, Morpheus. It’s not that big a deal.”

“Yes it is….” He bit his chops. “I— I can’t have you thinking I’m a liar.”

“But I don’t think you’re a liar!”

“You don’t?”

“No! Why? Is there a reason I should be worried about you lying? You’ve been honest with me so far.”

“N-no! Ve just— I—” He slumped. “I’m afraid what we’ll learn today will shed my hive in an even worse light than it already is. We aren’t just dealing with some rogue changelings. There’s an entire rogue hive in the Everfree, and they’re already integrating into Equestria far better than my hive dared to think possible. Clearly, they know some secret the Hive of the First Father lacks, and I… I’m worried about what that is. What if they rest of my hive can’t adapt? Lyra called us damaged.

I shuffled nervously from hoof to hoof, unsure of what to say.

A manic bark of laughter escaped him. “By all rights, we have no feasible right to a chance, and yet you continue to give us one. The other Lords read my reports and think I’m simply manipulating you. They don’t understand that I’m just trying to make a friend.”

Ruffling my wings, I tried Celestia’s Sunlight Serenity Smile #43. It was a calm smile, meant to encourage others and give an aura of wisdom and confidence in the face of adversity. Unfortunately, the forty-third smile was reserved for times nopony had any idea what to do, and I could feel my cheeks strain with the effort of stopping it from appearing forced.

There had to be something I could do for him. Had to. Had to. Had to. Had to. What the hay should I say?

I’m supposed to be the Princess of Friendship!

“Thank you.” I was snapped out of my thoughts by the words. The clock was a whole three minutes farther along in its job for the day, and I blushed as I realized I’d zoned him out.

He had needed a friend to listen, and I’d gotten too absorbed in my own thoughts to be there for him.

‘Wicked Smooth’ scrunched his face. “Please, don’t be embarrassed. Embarrassment is so unpalatable. I was… rambling… monologuing really, so it’s fine. The fact that you were concerned speaks volumes more than simple listening.”

That just made me more embarrassed. I had been so far out of it I missed him disguising himself, and he could taste how awful I felt. Of course he could. I really wanted to just melt into the ground right now.

Morpheus gave the smallest of smiles. “Really, it’s alright. Maybe we should get ready for the Everfree, though. A trip to another hive isn’t something we want to waste just because my emotions got the better of me.”

My eye almost twitched again. “Right! We wouldn’t want to be late!” I laughed—or rather I tried to. In reality it was more of a bray. “Everything we need is packed in a pair of saddlebags in the front hall.”

“Then we shouldn’t keep the others waiting any longer….” His smile shifted to a barely noticeable frown as he passed me into the hall.

“Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!” Hoof met forehead repeatedly.”Why did I laugh? He can literally taste whether it’s sincere or not.” Reigning myself in, I let my frog massage my temple. “Probably thinks he messed up now. I know I would if I heard a laugh like that.”

I sighed before trotting to the door to follow him. “It’s not even the trip that was bothering me. Yes, we’re late. Yes, that irks me. But it bothers me more that he’s just…” I exhaled, slumping onto my haunches. “...hiding from himself.”

I looked to the ceiling. “Castle, you’re a giant sentient fortress of friendship made manifest. It can’t be a coincidence that you always know who to send…. What can I do to help here?”

I paused for what felt like forever, staring at the goopy green ceiling until it became clear there would be no witty response.

Author's Note:

First and foremost:
Bit Sketch!

I'm not the best at drawing, but I'm ok enough to get the basics done, so I drew a bit in it's scarab-like base form.

Regardless, this chapter was fun. A little fluff. A little weirdness. A touch of drama. There's also a slight tag change based on comments from my editor. Drama was added for those tense moments that aren't quite slice of life.

Anyways, as usual comments and criticism is appreciated. If you do criticize, however, please try and include at least one positive criticism amid any negative ones. It doesn't need to be an even ratio. I just prefer being criticized by those who can tell me I'm doing something right in addition to whatever I'm doing wrong.

Thanks to Malefactory, reprovedhawk, and Stainless Key for editting.

Obligatory Patreon Link

PreviousChapters Next