• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,989 Views, 1,224 Comments

dC/dt ≠ 0 - I Thought I Was Toast



A look into changeling and pony culture as changelings attempt to integrate and make peace with Equestria.

  • ...
45
 1,224
 10,989

PreviousChapters Next
Honest Acceptance (Morpheus) Part 4

Changeling saliva makes for a rather excellent adhesive and building material. With a little bit of shifting, the glands can make anything from glue to caulk to even cement allowing for any number of minor repairs and construction projects. With a number of other ingredients to act as catalysts, it upgrades from a simple mundane bonding agent to a magical one capable of handling much bigger problems—medical problems, for example.

Simply cementing the cracks in my chitin would encourage the same problem ponies face with healed broken bones. After breaking once, it’s easier to break again because of the trace the fracture leaves behind. Understandably, that’s a bigger issue for creatures with exoskeletons composed of many smaller interlocking pieces, so we needed to step up treatment and heal the fracture as if it had never happened.

Redistributing mass via shapeshifting can help, but it can’t restore lost chitin. I had the time to spare and the carapace cement I had brought from the Hive in my corbiculae. Thus, I was in the middle of treating myself when Applejack returned.

Ve flicked an ear as the door opened to let in a set of hooves. Ve assumed Big Mac was back to check on us, but a crashing noise down the hall alerted us to another presence. “Confound this saddle bag of mine. It seems I’ll need a needle and twine.”

“He’s in here, Zecora.” Applejack’s voice came from the front of the room.

There was the shuffling and clinking of bottles in answer, yet the zebra’s hoofsteps still mysteriously evaded my ears. As much as I strained my hearing, I heard nothing.

“Alright, Morpheus, Ah hope you’ve been—” Applejack snerked. “Sugarcube, is there a reason yer in the middle of a gosh darn facial?”

Snorting, I opened my eyes as I shifted to a sitting position. “This is not a facial, Applejack. Ponies get facials. Changelings get polishes.”

“And why do you need a ‘polish?’” Applejack’s tone made the air quotes quite clear.

“I need to replace any chitin that may have chipped off when Rainbow hit me.” I sighed. “This is not a polish.”

“Yer darn tootin’ it ain’t. Ah’ve been to enough sleepovers with Rarity to know what a facial looks like.”

“You try not caring about your appearance when the result is broken bones instead of pimples,” I groused, looking beyond the farmer as her companion entered.

We stared at each other for a moment, testing to see who would make the first move.

I won when Zecora broke the silence. “Applejack told me she had a strange guest.” She turned to the farmer. “You failed to impress the oddity of your request.” The shaman managed to keep her cool on the outside, but I could taste any number of emotions churning inside. “Had you mentioned a changeling in your bed, I would have focused on taming my feelings of dread. There is great strength in bitter medicine, but changelings need more care and attention.”

Parsing the rhyme, I cringed at the last line. Sending the faintest breeze to her, I managed to whisper, “If you’re saying what ve think you’re saying, ixnay on that train of thought. Ve haven’t fully explained how an emotivore’s diet works to anypony yet. How— How do you even know that?”

Zecora pointedly did not look in my direction as she began pulling out regents and potions. A small number of tools followed, although they wouldn’t be enough to create anything truly potent.

Completely ignoring my plea, Zecora continued to muse. “Negative emotions will only fester and accrue, so any treatment I made as such would only work if swine flew. If I truly want to heal him proper, my feelings will, at the least, need a stopper.”

I resisted the urge to plant my face into something hard. Preferably my hoof, although a table would suffice.

Setting up a minor filter to moderate outgoing feelings, ve decided it would be best to roll with it so ve could run damage control. Applejack’s emotions had already run the gauntlet of curiosity and were already approaching the mish-mash of flavors that was confusion.

Applejack scratched the back of her head. “Twi did say something about poisonous emotions when she was giving us the lowdown, but Ah thought she was being metaphorical or symbolic or something. Are… are ya sayin’ if you, me, or the gals so much as think funny about the prince here it’ll muck up whatever progress he makes? ’Cause Ah’m not sure we can manage that. How are we supposed to keep track of the varmint if we can’t go near him for fear of killin’ him?”

The urge to facehoof was gone, but I was fervently wishing I could massage my forehead. “It won’t kill me. Certain emotions just have certain side effects in given quantities and situations. For example, Pinkie Pie got me drunk on joy, and too much love literally causes cardiac arrest—which ve know sounds bad, but it is surprisingly easy to treat as long as you swallow or regurgitate the love in question.”

That got a face from the farmpony, although ve weren’t exactly sure what kind of face it was. As she processed my words, an egg timer dinged on the bed stand, and I began peeling the leftover carapace cement off as fast as I could. My hoof was going to meet my face in one way or another.

“Negative emotions aren’t exactly healthy, but I can actually process them in small quantities when push comes to shove.” I carefully proded my chitin as the mask came off, looking for weak points and imperfections. “The problem is those are usually fight or flight situations, and side effects range anywhere from fatigue to blood thinning to weaker immune systems and worse recovery rates—all of which are undesirable.”

Applejack’s face settled into a small frown with a slight narrowing of her brow. It wasn’t enough to signal downright anger or displeasure, yet it was most certainly not pensive, and her mounting befuddlement was making it harder and harder to read her emotions.

As I removed the rest of my mask, I brought my hooves to my head for well earned relief. “And when it comes to medical practices, there’s a reason there’s the phrase ‘laughter is the best medicine.’ Something as personal as taking care of the well being of another creature—especially where the patient’s life itself may be on the line—invokes the very magic of Equis. It’s not much of an effect in most species usually, but it is technically measurable, and emotivores like me are some of the few where any significant difference can occur.”

Ve glared at the so-called zebra, wondering who ve were actually dealing with. “What I want to know is how your friend here could possibly know that. I’ll give her knowing tender loving care and attention would improve my recovery. That’s easy to infer because I’m a Hive forsaken changeling. No pony in Ponyville should know negative emotions can have debilitating effects, though.”

I let my fangs show. “Suspicions? Understandable. Certainty? No. The chances of a simple shaman knowing that are vanishingly small. It’s so unlikely based on our current information that the probability is effectively zero.

“And that implies there’s something here ve don’t know – allowing such an implausible situation to become plausible.”

The physician in front of me gave that annoying smile all cryptic mystics have. “I admit, I had a rather interesting teacher—a thirst for knowledge and curiosity her most interesting feature. You see, I was a student and avid listener to one whom you would call a Malpractitioner.”

My brow needed another message, and I savored just how smooth the fresh carapace was. “Two questions. First, does that mean you aren’t a changeling? Ve were half-worried Mother decided to give a damn for once, and I know for a fact she was in the Everfree yesterday.”

Zecora shook her head. “A changeling you will not find me to be. I am and always have been me.”

I looked to Applejack, whose head was flopping back and forth between us like a fish out of water. “Is she telling the truth?”

“Yeah? Why wouldn’t she be? She goes through the monthly tests like everypony else. Kinda odd really. Some of my family don’t because they’re too far outta their respective towns to bother with, but the guard is extra picky with Ponyville.”

Well, I certainly felt like an idiot now. Ve had actually seriously considered that Mother might be trying to act motherly for once. She had to know I was hurt if she had access to my own agents, and there was no way ve had ferreted out all the leaks. Ve supposed, however, that she wouldn’t have had much time to respond from between when ve reported the situation after Rainbow woke us to the time Applejack probably reached Zecora’s.

Then again, this was Mother. If she really wanted to replace Zecora, then she would, consequences to herself and my negotiations be damned. Kidnapping the local shaman—and leaving them hive knows where in the forest—just to get a chance to tend to me was exactly the sort of psychopathic pseudo-mothering ve didn’t need right now.

It was probably better this way.

Thus ve steered our focus to our other query. “Okay then. Second question. How did you spell Malpractitioner?”

“Capital M.” The shaman wasn’t even phased by the question.

I buried my head in the bed to gnash my fangs without unnerving Applejack. Ve figured the constant flux from shifting them from one shape to another wouldn’t go over well. When I finally brought my head back up, I snorted for good measure.

“Hive damn it all. Is that where they are now-a-days, Zebrica? They’re so hard to keep track of with how private they are, and they have things so easy compared to us. All they need is a single curious apprentice and they’re set for years. Ve have no idea why they even bother hiding, much less why they’re paranoid enough with their secrets to make a lord look like honest Applejack here.”

“Say what now?” Applejack sputtered indignantly.

“It’s not like they’re the parasitic love-sucking monsters or anything.” I huffed and crossed my hooves in front of me.

Applejack took a second to compose herself. The mish-mash of conflicting feelings that was her confusion had started an orange flavored food fight, and the simmering stew that had been her frustration from today was now all but frozen in the background.

“So, Ah’m only gonna ask this once more before Ah run for Twilight and get her to make ya explain things. What in the hay are y’all talking about?”

Zecora’s cryptic smile grew even more so. “The price of knowing is not to know, lest my powers be only for show.”

I rolled my eyes, deciding to give Applejack a proper answer. “What she means is that she was an apprentice to another kind of emotivore called a Malpractitioner. Before you ask, no, ve don’t know how much of that is profession versus species, and ve don’t know whether Malpractice was named for malpractice or the other way around. The cryptic maggots don’t appreciate the concept of sharing where appropriate.”

Seeing that the simple farmer’s face was beginning to scrunch together in all the signs of a burnt out brain, ve skipped most of the annoyingly short explanation ve had and jumped to the important part. “Where changelings feed on love, Malpractitioners feed on curiosity, and they get it by being cryptic to the point that you’d crack your skull open on your desk if it would help their lessons sink in better.”

Ve nodded towards Zecora. “They tempt you with all the answers you could want, but tend to leave you with ten times as many questions as you came with.”

As an afterthought, ve added, “Ve’re not sure ve can actually think of another creature that drives us up the walls like they do. Twilight would never survive meeting a real one, that’s for sure.”

Applejack, being the straightforward mare she was, took the direct approach in her response. “Well… if Zecora is one of them whatcha-ma-call-its… does that mean she ain’t a zebra just like you ain’t a pony?”

Ve scoffed. “I just said she probably isn’t a true Malpractitioner. Twilight would probably be in a padded cell if that was the case. Don’t expect us to say for certain, though. They love muddling their numbers. It adds more questions to never give a straight answer to. She might even just be the apprentice of an apprentice.”

I sighed, sinking into the bed. “The only plus side to this is that true Malpractitioners know their craft like nopony else, so she might actually be able to cure me. A normal practitioner of medical arts wouldn’t have anything to replace the couple weeks of bed rest needed for a concussion. Malpractitioners, though… the strongest of them can read and understand the body like a book. Rumor is they can even predict the exact number of beats your heart has left until you die.”

Zecora nodded. “We can indeed see how many pages are left in your tale. The price is we add or remove some without fail.”

“Typical,” I muttered, sitting back up to glare at the shaman. “This is exactly why Malpractitioners drive us insane. They never give an honest answer.”

“Hon, you do realize you’re the pot calling the kettle black, right? Besides, Zecora is being honest with us.” Applejack drawled.

“I’m always honest, Applejack,” I groused. “I’m just not your kind of honest. Malpractitioners, on the other hand, are not. Did you even realize Zecora has probably been playing us both for foals? It would not surprise me if she used my own paranoia against me such that I got so caught up in our little talk that ve left you way in the dust. You’re certainly not angry or frustrated from earlier anymore. You’re far too befuddled for that, and confusion is neither inherently positive or negative. This whole conversation could easily have been a way to sterilize the environment for me.”

I flopped back onto the mattress, shaking my hoof at the ceiling. “And the worst part is, she’s handed us so many unknowns that ve can’t even say that with any certainty. A puzzle that can’t be deduced; a riddle without an answer: dishonest!

I sighed, letting my hoof fall. Ve had said far more than was wise. The headache—which ve had almost forgotten—had escalated from a quiet rumble to pounding drums, and ve were suddenly aware of how heavy our eyes felt and how hollow our heart was. It was too much worrying, planning, thinking, scheming. Ve must have burned my reserves thinking about everything except how bad it was to be thinking right now.

“You call me manipulative, but who isn’t? Everypony always wants something. Everypony has the right to try and get that something. And anything is fair game if you know the rules well enough.” I yawned, cocooning within the covers.

Over. Under. Over. Under. Wrapped in a chrysalis, never to be torn asunder.

As sleep claimed me, I heard somepony close the door as they headed out of the room. I mumbled into my pillow, “I just want to finally meet somepony—maybe even someling—I don’t have to be that way with.”

I was awoken not long after Zecora finished my treatment.

Sighing, I rubbed my brow as I rose to my haunches. “Of course… treating me while I’m asleep just happens to mean ve didn’t get to see what wonders you pulled. Typical Malpractitioner.” I tilted my head to the side. “Why confess to Malpractice, though?”

Fine wine filled the air. It was aged, old, a piece of history. “They rejected me once on mere suspicion. I suppose I was curious if, to the truth, they would listen. They know the facts now—as much as I dare. I am indeed an enchantress—both foul and fair.”

I shivered slightly. “Ah, right. That reminds me. There’s always a price. How do you all phrase it? To make a dream come true, you must first have something to rue? Well, what’s the curse of the day? Ve’d prefer getting turned into a frog. That’ll be easy to break, as long as Twilight doesn’t dissect me first....”

Zecora shook her head with a tiny frown on her face. She started packing her tools as she talked. “It doesn’t work like that, I fear. Soon your fee will be quite clear.”

Standing up and stretching, I felt more awake than I had in months. The sun shined through the window as it prepared to set, and the birds were singing—odd for this time of day, but not unwelcome. My chitin was warm and tingly, and I felt like singing just for being alive.

“What could go wrong?~ This is a wonderful song!~ Oh! What a joy to be me!~”

I quickly shoved a hoof in my mouth as ve contemplated what had just happened. I turned to the zebra, my motion effortlessly falling right in time with the rhythm I was feeling inside. Ve couldn't help but notice my movements looked choreographed.

My mood began to drop like a rock, and the tune in my head changed to compensate. The staccato shifted from bubbly and energetic into a frantic rush. With the change, ve noticed a large amount of dissonance in the sensations running through my body. Warm, fuzzy, tingles fought cold, crawling, shivers. The sheer elation from waking up rested and whole began to war with the mounting horror of a list of potential—and very conspicuous—prices suddenly presenting itself to us.

Opening our mouth to ask a number of queries to narrow that list, the fact that I continued on in a sing-song fashion had us crossing out a number of more favorable options.

“What’s that?!~ What’s this?!~ What have you done to me?!~ I’m happy, dreary, oh-so-cheery, and singing ‘Woe is me!~’”

By this point, the fear was easily winning, and yet ve persevered despite my terror. It might have been the shock, or perhaps it was the surreal sense of disconnect ve felt from the realization that the song was influencing me at least as much as our own thoughts. Ve weren’t sure. More data was needed on exactly how I was being effected.

Oddly rhythmic shivers racked my body as I quivered in what ve knew should be extreme fright. My heart hammered at an incredible pace, and I could almost taste the fear rolling off of me, yet ve noted I was not as afraid as the bizarre not-quite dance would suggest. The motions were exaggerated to match the music, not my actual mindset.

Ve began to focus on that to calm myself as the music completed its shift from from frantic to a bubbling, boiling, brew.

Calming myself was not helped by Zecora joining the fray. “You came to the witchdoctor, and she put a spell on you~ You came to the witchdoctor, the price is yours to rue~ You came to me, nothing for free!~ And you let me place your shackles three!~ A song, a dance, an unnamed favor~ All to be collected later~”

I stomped my hooves—in rhythm, of course—as the song continued to fluctuate. Ve had regulated my fear, but I wasn’t calm. My heart was still racing. The quivers and tingles were still there, but they lacked context for fear or elation.

My body and the song’s tune thus settled on another emotion. Drums pounded in our head as anger filled me. “Tell me when the song will stop!~ Tell me when the dance will end!~ Lest you be responsible for what’s coming round the bend!~”

Once more it was somehow lacking or incomplete in a way ve couldn’t accurately describe. The anger was only partially true as far as ve were concerned. Part of it was the song, and for some reason knowing that muted the effect on my body.

Zecora twirled to the door, her hooves tapping yet another new beat and rhythm. “For now it’s settling in, I fear~ Yet note the music’s still not clear~ With silly tunes and broken croons, the song’s still incomplete~ The price is only paid in full upon finding the proper beat~”

She left the room, and looked at me no longer singing. “The price is heavy—that is sure—yet it comes with a gift most true and pure. Rare is it to get a two-for-one deal, when invoking my magic that’s actually real. All cures have a curse at the root of their cores. You may yet use yours to avert conflict and wars.”

She left humming a tune ve could not name, and ve found the music inside us thrumming along whether ve wanted to or not. Our wings chirped an accompaniment that made us recall the time the hive actually did find the world’s smallest violin.

It all stopped suddenly as I spoke. “I wonder if she realizes she just gave us more data points on Malpractice than ve’ve gotten in the last two centuries.”

And then it started again to a more upbeat tune. “I stopped singing!~ I stopped singing!~ What a wonder that it’s so!~ Ne’er mind; here again I go~”

Applejack shuffled in the door. “Why in the hay are ya singing?~ Why in the hay must Ah rhyme?~ The tune sure is nice~ And the rhythm precise~ But really this isn’t the time~”

And then there was blessed silence once more.

I savored it a second before answering. “It’s quite simple actually~ Zecora put a curse on me~”

Applejack rolled her eyes. “There ain’t such a thing as curses, hon. We did this song and dance with Twilight before.”

I cringed at her choice of words. “Yes, well… Twilight was wrong about that. Curses exist, and they aren’t all bad like the books say. They’re just usually more subtle about when they do something good for a pony. Ve mean, do you know what the chances are of somepony cursed to be a frog actually finding a princess to be the one who breaks the curse? Yet, the curse ensures that it happens.”

The farmer shook her head. “Whatever you wanna think, sugarcube.” She gestured for me to move towards the door. “Come on then. It’s high time you get back to Twilight.”

As I stepped out the front door, I donned my disguise before turning to Applejack and waving. She waved back not saying anything. Ve think we both knew saying something ran the risk of ruining the moment.

Ve may not have made friends, but we were not-quite-enemies.

I felt the warmth of the sun on my carapace, and ve couldn’t think of a good enough reason to stop the grin splitting my face. My wings broke through my illusion momentarily as they went through the oddest mix of fluttering and chirping.

“Morning in Ponyville shimmers~ Morning in Ponyville shines!~ And I know for absolute certain, that everything will be just fine~” It was only as I reared up on my hind legs to sing the tune that ve realized there was indeed a good reason not to smile.

I quickly dropped to my hooves frowning. “This is going to keep happening out of the blue until I sing the right song, isn’t it.”

The tune in my head settled on a energetic bubbly number like it was giggling, and ve sighed as ve tried to tune it out. “Ve guess ve’ll finally find out if I’m as good a singer as Mother, at least.”

Trotting towards town, I stopped on the outskirts as I saw the market setting up instead of cleaning up, and it finally occurred to us what I had sung in the last verse.

“Hive damn it all. I didn’t even make it to lunch before sleeping the whole day away.”

With that, ve’re going to excuse ourselves so I don’t rudely snap at any more of your questions. I really am sorry, but when ve can’t answer half of your questions, and they’re all questions you have about Malpractitioners, ve can’t help but to project my feelings on the matter.

It’s absolutely infuriating how little they’re willing to share with us.

Author's Note:

It's rather ironic how accurate the idea of artists needing to suffer for their work is... I don't have to cut off my ear or anything, but in my experience it seems there's a positive correlation between the amount of anxiety that goes into a chapter and how well it's received. Chapters I don't think will do well do, and the chapters I look forward to the most or had an absolute blast writing -- compared to normal rational levels of fun -- tend to preform worse. It's like that enough that've I've started worrying about chapters I think are perfect just as much because I can't notice the inevitable flaws. It leads to this really weird and surreal schrodinger's-esque effect.

Anyways, as you may have guessed Zecora was an absolute blast to write, and that has left me worried I got carried away in my enthusiasm. On the plus, side I managed to get a concatenation joke in a rhyme. I still have no idea how or why it actually seems to work.

As to the curse? Let's say I'm working on a song as a side project. The lyrics may take time to make sure they actually read like a song, and I know for a fact links in text are a bad idea so linking a full version in story when it starts won't happen, but I like the idea of having a legit reformation song for the ending that finally solidified in my head this chapter. That said, I do want an actual song version -- if only for my own sake and those who might want to check it out in the author notes in the chapter of the hour -- I can only handle lyrics and maybe singing. (Friends and family are a biased source of praise, so I don't actually know how well I can sing.) I definitely lack the time and experience for editing music for it though, so if you're interested let me know via PM. Otherwise I'll go for acapella. Theoretically that would work if the song has to be musical enough to read as a song within text. We'll see what happens though.

As usual comments and criticism is appreciated. If you do criticize, however, please try and include at least one positive criticism amid any negative ones. It doesn't need to be an even ratio. I just prefer being criticized by those who can tell me I'm doing something right in addition to whatever I'm doing wrong.

Also, as usual thanks to Flink and Stainless Key for editting, and reprovedhawk for being on standby.

Obligatory Patreon Link

PreviousChapters Next