• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 10,993 Views, 1,224 Comments

dC/dt ≠ 0 - I Thought I Was Toast



A look into changeling and pony culture as changelings attempt to integrate and make peace with Equestria.

  • ...
45
 1,224
 10,993

PreviousChapters Next
Honest Acceptance (Morpheus) Part 3

“I— You— She—”

After a few seconds of Applejack staring at the former tree and Rainbow wordlessly growling, the sounds in Rainbow’s throat were finally coming together into words. Ve tightened the filter an extra notch to adjust to the similarly congealing emotions.

“How can you possibly ask that after everything you’ve done?! After everything Chrysalis has done?!”

The pegasus flew into my face, and the itchiness started to escalate into a slight burning sensation. The taste of brimstone filled the air, and I edged away from her even as I raised the filter more.

“D-don’t you dare try to push my mother’s crimes on me! I may make my own mistakes, but I am not—and never will be—that monster!” My wings buzzed harshly to make me look larger than I felt, breaking through the illusion around me with crackles and sparks.

Rainbw retreated slightly as I pushed forward, and some small part of me savored the faintest waft of sour milk in the air. There was a brief chink in her armor—a small crack in her mask—and from that ve knew she wasn’t invulnerable. Quick as a whip, though, it was drowned out once more by spicy anger and bitter distrust, and ve had to lock my joints in place lest I balk in turn and beg for mercy.

Gnashing my teeth, I continued to vent. “Mother is at most an honorary title—nothing more. I do not, and never will, think of her as family. She’s not the one who raised me or cared for me or did any of the things you ponies call part of being a family. My teachers did that. My servants did that. The other nymphs did that. They were my family, and I refuse to be anything like my mother’ if I can help it.”

I found my face almost snout to snout with Rainbow’s as we both refused to back down. “You are an Element of Harmony. You’re supposed to encourage peace, not try and pick fights with me when I’m trying to make up for my mother’s mistakes. In fact, that’s pretty much the exact opposite of harmony, so Hive help us all if this is the best the legendary Rainbow Dash can do!”

A hoof met my face faster than I could see, and I felt chitin crack. I reared back from the force, falling backwards into one of the trees. The oddest little spots danced in my vision as I opened my eyes, and my head pounded to the ringing of a massive, ear-splitting bell.

I bemusedly held up a hoof to see if I could match the holes in my vision to the holes in my hoof before it occurred to us that ve should have expected more than one punch. Wobbling up onto my haunches, ve found a rather determined Applejack pinning Rainbow to the ground. The grass was matted from what appeared to be a rather aggressive tussle, and as the ringing in my ears died, I finally started to hear the second argument ve’d started between them.

“That doesn’t tell me why you and everypony else are taking his side!” Rainbow was a whirlwind of emotions too dangerous to try and taste.

Applejack sighed, half-hugging, half-strangling Rainbow as the pegasus made another break for me upon seeing I was up. “Consarn it, Rainbow! We ain’t taking his side! We’re givin’ him a chance to prove us wrong, and you’re just provoking him, thinking it’ll prove you right.”

“See! That’s it right there!” Rainbow snarled. “When was I suddenly not included with the rest of the gang? You were with me the other night!”

I saw the pegasus’ wings try to unfurl, but Applejack is as strong as they come. “Don’t go twisting my words around, Rainbow! You know Ah didn’t mean it like that. All Ah meant is that you’re trying to be so dang protective of us right now that you’re forgetting somepony else might be in need of a little loyalty.”

“He! Hasn’t! Earned! It!” There was the distinct sound of bowling pins being knocked over as Rainbow broke free and streaked off into the distance.

I shook my head, wondering if I had something worse than a concussion, and winced as the headache spiked with the motion. “Hive damn it all. Something tells us I just made things worse… Again….”

“Actually, Ah think you made more progress there than with any of your other stunts.” Applejack dusted herself off before picking her Stetson up off the ground. “Sure, you were still trying to manipulate the pants off of us with that little tantrum, but that was the clearest picture of you Ah’ve gotten all day.”

Turning to me, she adjusted her hat before continuing. “Might be just the thing Rainbow needed to hear, too. Oh, she’ll need to cool off, but that ain’t anything new.” She frowned, briefly looking off into the distance where Rainbow had flown. “Although, Ah’m a little worried about how long it’ll take for that to happen.”

She turned back to me. “Don’t you worry about that none, though. When she finally simmers down, chances are she’s gonna beat herself up for crossing a line. She’ll be too proud to say it, mind ya, and that pride might just dig her a mighty fine hole in the ground, but it’s the honest truth. Give her some time and eventually she’ll give you a fair shake.”

In the epitome of diplomatic fashion, I stared vacantly at her for several seconds. “Huh?” I nearly toppled back to the ground when I tilted my head.

“Shoot.” She frowned. “Ah hope that ain’t a concussion.”

It was, but ve were a little too busy attempting to evaluate the situation to immediately confirm her suspicions. Ve barely even registered the farmer helping me to my feet.

“Darn it. This was not what Ah needed today. There’s no way in Tartarus Ah’m bringing ya to the hospital like this. Can ya fix yer disguise?”

“My disguise is fine.” I wobbled slightly as ve waved my hoof in front of her to prove a point.

“Ponies don’t have holes in their hooves, hon,” came the reply.

“My hooves don’t have holes in them. That’s probably just the spots in your vision. That’s what it is for me.” Ve frowned as ve realized the hole in my logic. “Wait. You don’t have a concussion, do you….”

“Aww, horseapples,” Applejack sighed. “Definitely can’t take ya to the hospital like this. Ah don’t even know if they can treat ya, much less how they and the rest of the town’ll react. Better to just get ya situated at the farm for now and see if Zecora has anything to help.”

Trees passed by in a blur as Applejack began to nudge me along. We weren’t moving quickly by any means, but I simply couldn’t find the focus to pay attention to the physical world as ve kept getting distracted by all sorts of fascinating things: like figuring out how fast we were moving, or calculating the change in applied force levels as Applejack started to get more insistent on dragging me along, or counting as many digits of pi as I could when the smell of apple pie drifted out from the house.

“Okay. We’re back. Now to get ya inside without anypony seeing, ’cause Ah ain’t gonna lie if you’re caught.” Applejack’s voice cut through the haze of irrational numbers, and I blinked to see her peeking inside the main door. “Granny’s napping, and Big Mac should be out in the fields for a while yet. Let’s get ya situated in the guest room before anypony notices.”

I was pulled through the door and placed into Applejack’s rather homey room. My head spinning, I almost missed Applejack burying me under at least five different kinds of bedding before she hurried for the door.

“Wait!” I raised a hoof and the farmer paused, glancing back with a frown. “What about the bet? I can’t exactly make it through a day on the farm like this.”

The farmer deadpanned. “Hon, that bet barely meant anything to begin with, and it definitely doesn’t mean anything now. Y’all should have known ya can’t just manipulate me and Dash like that.”

I sagged into the covers. “But I could taste it. Both of you were less angry and everything….”

“And how long did that actually last for Dash?” Applejack’s eyebrow arched. “Competition is just that, competition.”

“But—”

“No buts you pear-blasted bug. We haven’t let competition get in the way of anything since the Iron Pony competition. If there ain’t no reason to treat friends differently, then there certainly ain’t no reason to treat enemies differently.”

Ve stared at her for a moment. “That is a surprisingly logical standpoint.”

Applejack snorted. “It ain’t logic, hon. It’s just common sense. Approaching it like some fancy logic problem means you’re overthinking it. Ah better be off to grab Zecora, though. Ya may be sounding better, but it’s better to be safe than sorry. Try and rest up while I’m out.”

With a tip of her hat, the farmer left me to my own devices, and I quickly cocooned myself within the mish-mash of fleece, wool, cotton, silk, patchwork quilts made with all of the above, and the odd duvet that was pretending to be a blanket. My head had barely hit the pillow before I was out like a light, although there was the odd sense ve were forgetting something.

Probably not as important as rest….

“Rise and shine, flyboy! Don’t make me bring out the swatter!” A raspy voice yelled with all the forced cheer of a clown with an eight year degree in theater and drama. “I’m missing nap time cuz of you, so if I don’t get to sleep neither do you.” Just as I got over the spike of pain that was shooting through my head, a mini-deluge hit me.

“Cold!” I shrieked at impossiply high frequenciesthat were not at all feminine.

“Geez. Stop being such a pansy. I thought your were supposed to be tougher stuff than that.” Ponyville’s lead weather mare bucked the cloud above the bed again, letting the last of the moisture rain down upon me.

“Sounds like you’re in a better mood,” I hissed.

“Does it taste like it?” She smiled back smugly.

I snorted, attempting to extricate myself from the now soaking cocoon. “Not really, no. Cotton candy doesn’t really taste good when I know it’s probably just sadistic glee, and you have awful choice in dipping sauces. Liquid rainbow and hemlock just doesn’t appeal to me.”

The grin got smugger. “That’s all I need to hear.”

“What do you mean by that, and why are you even back?” I frowned, dumping everything but the mattress in the corner before looking in the closet to see if there were spare blankets. My magic flickered to the pounding in my head.

The cheer remained as overly chipper as an axe. “Well, I just happened to be starting a nap on a spare cloud that blew in from the Everfree, when Applejack came running up the path towards the Everfree.”

She ground her teeth, fake smile quickly turning into a glower. “Of course, you had to get a concussion from one measly punch. It wasn’t even a proper scrap or anything! And if you couldn’t handle one hit, chances were you’d never had to deal with a concussion before. I figured you’d be sleeping it off rather than simply resting, and that’s the last thing you want to do before you’re sure the injury isn’t bad enough to leave you in a coma or worse.”

“Bugbits and eggeaters.” I swore in Chitri. Ve knew ve had been forgetting something.

Rainbow narrowed her brow, glaring at me from above. “Do I want to know what that means?”

I shook my head, and she shrugged. “Whatever.Anyways, I raced back to make sure you didn’t kick the bucket. I might wanna beat you to a pulp, but that doesn’t mean I want you to become a veggie or end up dead as a doornail.”

Her emotions were cooling, and I couldn’t help but tilt my head as I stared at the prismatic puzzle in front of me. It seemed there was more than one enigma among the Elements. “Well, I guess I should tha—“

“I said I didn’t need your thanks!” The snarl was back, along with her more colorful emotions. I sighed, seeing whatever moment there could have been break the sound barrier as it left faster than it came.

Rainbow was about to follow it out the window when she called back. “Oh! I almost forgot. You totally owe me for saving your skin. Big Mac saw me on my way back, and he’s probably gonna be coming through the door any minute. You get to take care of explaining things, because I can’t make promises that my explanation wouldn’t get you squashed like the bug you are. Later, flyboy!”

Ve contemplated following Rainbow out the window, but a few seconds of buzzing wobbily above the ground caused us to discard this notion. I was far too out of it to fly. Perhaps I could—

The front door opened, and I threw out plans B through F in a heartbeat—all involving potential hiding spots I had no time to find. Barricading the door was also tossed to the side after a quick estimate of the mass of the approaching giant compared to the mass of the little bit of furniture in the room. As Big Mac’s hoofsteps came up the stairs, a last ditch effort at illusions and a disguise confirmed it was indeed monumentally stupid to try anything with a concussion.

And so ve took the only other option, and sat in the center of the bed ve had yet to remake. My breathing was calm and collected as I projected the utter confidence of a stallion who belonged in a mare’s bedroom on her soaking wet bed.

Wait. That was a bad idea, too. Panic. Panic!

“Are ya alright in there, Mister—” The door opened as I started to skitter off the bed for the closet, and there was silence.

A couple of moments passed as ve waited for the explosion.

“Ah reckon that explains the Pinkie Promise.” A simple drawl was panicked screaming.

Looking up at Big Mac from my compromising position on the bed, I found myself under his scrutinizing gaze. Ve briefly wondered why I couldn’t taste his emotions before realizing the filter was too high from my encounter with Dash.

As I lowered it, I blinked. There was nothing but the taste was oranges. “You aren’t afraid or angry or suspicious?”

“Should Ah be?” Despite the stoic face, one could hear the eyebrow arch—even if it was on a microscopic scale.

I gestured to the chitin and holes. “Well, you know….”

“Ah ain’t one to let my emotions run wild.”

“That’s an understatement.”

“No point in negativity.”

“You might say that now---”

“Ah trust Applejack.” There was a small slice of a very large honey-glazed apple pie with that statement.

“So does Rainbow Dash, and she gave me this.” I gestured to the new cracks in my face. Ve needed to get to treating them soon or they’d leave marks.

“Eeyup. She’s a hot head.”

I snorted, failing to hold back a laugh. “That’s putting it mildly. When I met her the other day, her emotions set me on hallucinogenic fire. Hottest head I’ve ever seen.”

Big Mac simply nodded with a small smile. “Need anything then?”

I stretched before getting up and finishing remaking the bed. “Can you get me a mirror and make extra certain the Cutie Mark Crusaders get nowhere near me? I saw Applebloom had her Cutie Mark this morning, but ve know what those three can do. Applejack said she was going to mention it to you, but I can’t stress how much I’d rather not face Cutie Mark Crusaders Vermin Catchers. We might look like bugs but most of us aren’t vermin.”

The stallion left chuckling. “There’s more than three now.”

Ve stopped briefly to contemplate that with the proper amount of horror it deserved.

“May the First Father have mercy on my soul…”

Author's Note:

Fun fact: In line with a number of other ridiculously obscure computer jokes I've made that are twisted around enough to not actually really be jokes anymore, Father and Mother were the original honorary titles bestowed to Lords in the olden days before they decided to pompously take noble titles. The First Father is thus the first of all changelings. You might ask how this is a joke and it really isn't by this point, but the original reason I considered it was because I thought it'd make a great pun/parallel for a computer motherboard.

Anyways, once again thanks to Flink and Stainless Key for editting. reprovedhawk was also nice enough to offer their services, so I now have a backup editor if Flink or Stainless Key are too busy for a given chapter so thanks for that (And let's be fair. There's more to life than editting a random fanfic so they're bound to be busy at some point down the line.)

As usual comments and criticism is appreciated. If you do criticize, however, please try and include at least one positive criticism amid any negative ones. It doesn't need to be an even ratio. I just prefer being criticized by those who can tell me I'm doing something right in addition to whatever I'm doing wrong.

Obligatory Patreon Link

PreviousChapters Next