• Published 27th Feb 2015
  • 20,767 Views, 1,097 Comments

I Come From a Land Down Under - Dropbear



From one barren wasteland to another, less barren wasteland, an Australian IT worker finds himself stuck in the snow where nowhere to go. At least it can't get any worse... right?

  • ...
37
 1,097
 20,767

Pills and Thrills

‘Gah, my head!’

The first thing Chrysalis noticed was the pain in her face, her tongue prodding some of her teeth to see if any were loose. She could taste a small amount of blood, but overall the damage was thankfully minimal save for the throbbing ache. There was also the feeling of something cold on the hurt area, the numbing effect quite a relief.

The second thing was the warmth of the object she was resting on, the smooth cloth an obvious contrast against the cool grass her rear half was against.

The third and final notable feeling was the soothing motion on top of her head, something trailing through her mane at a regular rhythm. It was not unpleasant, but she could tell by the multiple and soft digits that it was not a hoof.

Waking up further, she flicked her ears and picked up some conversation.

“Graw, rawgraba, grab graw.”

“I know she’s scary, but… well, the Queen may have tried to use magic on you but she’s not completely unreasonable. She seemed really frustrated and it was probably an irrational response that she won’t repeat. Here, I’ll try and draw it for you.”

Opening one eye, Chrysalis stared out at the changeling soldier in front of her. He was holding up a pad of some sort of parchment, a picture of her with an angry face on it. The soldier was so focused on his drawing that he didn’t notice her paying attention.

“Now, that was what you saw,” the soldier pointed to something above and behind her before flipping the page over. On it was a drawing of some kind of two-legged monster, with an overly-exaggerated bulk. There was an indignant snort from behind her. “Yes, I know I’m not the best drawer, but this is what she,” a hoof was pointed at her. “Sees you as, so you can understand why she’d be scared of you.”

It all came back to her: Arriving in the field, finding out from the scholars that some creature was parading around as a god, attempting to reason with the creature, and being assaulted by said creature in return. Her second eye opened and she glared, the soldier freezing mid page-turn when he noticed her attention upon him.

“I was not scared!” Chrysalis growled, sitting up sharply and causing the soldier to fall flat onto his back with wide eyes. “Whatever that thing was, it pales in comparison to me!” She snarled and pointed down towards the soldier and then towards the parchment with her face on it. “And you, showing that picture of me to…”

Turning her head, she came face-to-face with the very creature that had hit her. Her snout was almost touching his weird and pudgy nose, and that was with the creature leaning his head back to avoid her.

Unfortunately for her, the shock of seeing it that close was overridden by the sharp pain that rippled through her swollen cheek.

“Ah!” With a wince and a hiss, she closed her eyes and raised a forehoof to touch the area.

It didn’t exactly help.

“Nrgh!” Chrysalis gave up trying to touch it, the painful throbs only increasing in intensity at the contact.

“Grung.”

She opened her eyes, a cold object being pressed to her face without her consent. The creature was holding the snow-filled cloth for her, the throbbing swiftly declining down to more manageable levels.

“Give me that,” she grumbled, swatting his hand away while using her other hoof to hold it on herself. “This is all your fault to begin with.” Chrysalis shifted on her spot and looked down at what she was resting against, grimacing when she found out that it was the creature. However, despite that fact she decided to stay put for the time being, her throbbing head a great deterrent to leaping off his leg and fighting him.

“Um, Your Highness?” The soldier who had spoken flinched when she turned her glare onto his prone form, the other changelings around them all watching attentively. “Mr Growls didn’t mean to hurt you, you just startled him.”

“Mr Growls?” Chrysalis scoffed, looking back angrily into the nervous blue eyes. “What a stupid name. You’re a stupid brute, though, so it suits you well.” Her frown increased when he only blinked in response. “Just how stupid are you?”

“He can’t speak,” the soldiers answered for it, slowly sitting back up. “I mean, he can’t speak our language.” Under her gaze, he tapped his forehooves together. “That’s why I tried to draw it for him, so he could understand that you were… cautious, and that’s why you attacked.”

“Cautious?” she scoffed. “Ha! No, I attacked him because he is claiming to be a god of changelings!”

“No he’s not, that was all the scholars jumping to conclusions.”

“So you’re saying the scholars, your intellectual betters, are wrong and you are correct?”

“I… I’m saying that they are mistaken. My Queen, he can’t even talk so how can he claim to be a god?”

‘That’s actually a pretty good point,’ she realised, her accusation faltering for a moment.

“Plus,” the soldier continued. “He hasn’t tried to order anyone around, or demand anything. He also tried offering me some berries to eat, so I don’t think he’s even seen changelings before.”

“I suppose.” The evidence that it was all a mistranslation was swiftly piling up, but there were still some unanswered questions. “But I was told he had a harem, is that true? You are well aware that only I am allowed to keep a harem, and I alone.” In reply he winced, Chrysalis narrowing her eyes at the tell. “What’s your name? I do not recognise you.”

“Burrow,” he answered with a weak salute. “I’m just a simple soldier, Your Highness. And to answer your question, it’s less of a harem and more… four drones that make him give them massages.”

‘Wow,’ she internally sneered, glancing once more towards the still-silent biped. ‘He’s even more pathetic than he looks, being ordered about by drones.’

“I see,” Chrysalis grumbled, eye twitching when her face throbbed again. “However, he’s a dangerous creature who has attacked me. We shall feed on him and then leave him behind to fend for-“

“Ahem, excuse me, Your Highness.”

Glaring towards the changeling that had interrupted her, she was met with another soldier. This one however was giving her a full salute, and the ridges on his shoulder armour marked him as a sergeant. His respectful manner softened her glare. “Yes?”

“With all due respect, that’s not the best option available to us.”

“You doubt me?” her eyes narrowed.

“Not at all,” the soldier replied without skipping a beat. “There’s just information concerning… Mr Growls, which may open up other and more useful choices for the long-term.” The soldier nodded towards the biped. “Private Burrow is correct when he says that no attempt to proclaim himself as a god has been made by Mr Growls, and so far the creature has not acted with any hostility to changelings.”

“My face says differently,” Chrysalis grumbled, shooting the creature another glare.

“To be fair, My Queen, he was startled at the time. You know of course that your power can terrify all who witness your might.”

A part of her mind knew that the sergeant was just flattering her to get his way, but she couldn’t resist a grin as her ego was stroked. “I suppose that could explain it…”

The soldier took a step closer. “There’s more, Your Majesty. In addition to being strong he is comfortable around Private Burrow and other changelings in general. Also, we are able to feed upon him while he sleeps with no apparent side-effects.”

“I think his head has…“ the Private was silenced with a look from the sergeant.

“Queen Chrysalis, we have in our possession a being that not only can feed at least forty changelings, but one that does it regularly and without complaint. To just drain him in one go and leave him behind would be a waste.”

Chrysalis seriously had to think about what she wanted to do. On one hoof she didn’t want the thing anywhere near her, but the sergeant was also making very good points. Reluctantly, she silently admitted that his proposal held merit, and the current situation of her Hive really didn’t give her many options to be picky.

“But who will feed it, make sure it doesn’t run amok, and train it? I can’t waste a large number of changelings on looking after some lumbering food-beast.”

“I will,” Private Burrow volunteered, raising a hoof into the air. “He already knows me, and I promise that I’ll do a good job.”

“That’s a start, but-“

“I will as well!” Another soldier, this one a female raised her hoof from the crowd watching. Chrysalis turned her head to give the interrupter a glare, the female sheepishly lowering her hoof. “I… ah, I mean I will share the work with Burrow, Your Highness?”

“Step forwards,” Chrysalis demanded, the soldier bowing her head and doing as asked. Giving her a once over, a question soon followed. “Your name?”

“Private Aphid,” the soldier replied, shifting from hoof to hoof.

“And tell me, Private Aphid, why you are so eager to volunteer?”

Aphid’s eyes shifted towards the creature. “To guard an important resource to the Hive, of course.”

Chrysalis continued to stare at her, something iffy about the Private. Looking back towards the biped, she noticed the way he was staring back at Aphid with unease. He seemed uncomfortable under her gaze, Chrysalis grinning at the thought of some possible payback against her attacker. “Very well, from now on you and Private burrow are the official creature-controllers. I expect you to keep it behaved and ensure that it continues to output energy.”

“You don’t need to worry,” Private Aphid nodded, eyes still fixed on Mr Growls. “That is easy to arrange.”

“Grang,” the creature muttered under his breath, Chrysalis’ smile widening at his discomfort.

“Good. I have decided to also allow it to retain its harem in case it contributes to the amount of energy made. You, Private Aphid, are in control of that.”

“Oh no…”

Chrysalis glanced at the other soldier, Burrow. “Is something wrong?”

“Actually, Your Majesty, Aphid isn’t really the best choic-mpph!“ Private Aphid dashed over and forced a hoof around Burrow’s mouth, a forced smile on her face while she struggled to stop him from speaking.

“I’m so sorry, My Queen. Burrow here gets a little jealous sometimes and he often says the strangest things.”

Chrysalis decided to not inquire further, and instead got to her hooves. Continuing to hold the icepack to her face, she looked around at all of the changelings. “Okay, listen to me!” All of the hushed conversations died out immediately, her hundreds of subjects waiting for her orders. “To the east there is a small pony town, ripe for the taking. The ponies within are all soft farmers, and will be unable to withstand an attack of our numbers. Then, we will take them back to the Hive as our prisoners.”

She trotted forwards, a scowl growing on her face at the reminder of her bitter defeat. “Hiding is no longer an option. The Equestrians could seek to drive us away further, so we must prepare for any of their foolish attempts. No town will be safe, and while we take their subjects ours will grow. When we number in the thousands, then we will attack their capitol again, and this time we won’t hold back.”

Pointing a hoof towards the creature behind her, she buzzed her wings. “We will walk near to this town, it isn’t far, and wait until nightfall. You will all take as much energy as you can from this biped, so you will be ready for any fighting.” She grinned evilly. “But, no doubt we will catch all of those Equestrians unaware in their beds like the stupid ponies that they are.” Pointing towards the direction they needed to head towards, Chrysalis began to trot. “This way, if you go slow then you don’t eat.”

The threat ensured obedience, the masses falling into line behind her with chatters among them. While flying would have been faster, she wanted to keep the element of surprise. In addition, her new portable food-bag seemed to have no wings, and as much as she despised him he would no doubt prove to be a useful tool in her plans.

“I have the feeling that today is going to improve greatly,” she murmured to herself, her cheek not even bothering her anymore.


“Chhzrt!”

“Crzt. Chizzert.”

“So, anyone one want to explain what just happened?” Daniel looked at the two arguing bug-horses while he got to his feet, the bug-horse leader trotting away with his shirt. “For starters, am I going to have my bloody head chopped off or something? Your… tall chick kind of seems like she’s still pissed at me.”

Boris pointed towards the apparent bug-horse leader, chattering away while the female soldier nodded. Then, the hoof was pointed to both of them, then to himself with an apologetic smile being sent his way.

“Chzt iz ziz!” the female soldier added merrily, Boris rolling his eyes before gesturing towards the crowd of bug-horses. Daniel looked up and saw that they were all walking away, following the bug-horse leader as she led them away from the snow. Assuming that they wanted him to follow, and going off Boris’ mood he wasn’t about to be punished for punching their Empress or whatever she was, he bent down to pick up his toolbox and shrugged.

“Lead on then, I guess.”

Boris turned and started to trot after the others, the female soldier joining him with a hushed chatter. Daniel followed, still tired from the sudden wakeup but thankful to be moving away further from the cold snow. As he walked, he looked around at the numerous groups of bug-horses surrounding them.

None were flying on their fragile-looking wings, all of them trotting through the field at a steady pace. He was receiving a lot of stares from the newcomers, making him slightly uncomfortable now there were hundreds of the bug-horses. At more than double the height of all of them save for the leader, he stuck out like a French tourist in an outback pub.

They’d only been walking for five minutes before another bug-horse slowed down to join their group. It was a normal one without any armour, and judging from the shape he pegged it as female. A smile and happy chatter was directed towards him, the bug-horse briefly greeting the two helmeted bug-horses leading him afterwards. They all slowed down as conversation was shared between the three, Boris occasionally looking back at him with concern during it. Finally, with a sigh Boris nodded, and Daniel quickly found the new bug-horse moving alongside him while bumping her head against his left leg.

“What?” he questioned, before he noticed her flick her ears at him. “Oh, you’re one of those four. Great, just what I needed.” She bumped against his leg again, causing him to sigh and give in. “Fine, I guess it can’t really hurt, can it?”

He gave her a pat on the head and a scratch behind the ears, before he focused on the walking. With a glance he saw the stares they were getting, the noise of the bug-horse speech all around them. He looked down at another bump, the bug-horse looking up at him again with a confused look.

“What?” Daniel asked it again. “I gave you a pat, so leave me alone for a while. It’s not like you missed out or anything.”

It was at this time that Boris turned his head and appeared to chastise the bug-horse bothering him, the newcomer grumbling under her breath before moving ahead and trotting next to the female soldier. Boris then glanced towards him and then pointedly shook his head with a sigh.

“I know right?” Daniel answered with a huff. “The first time I have girls clambering over themselves to get at me, and they aren’t even my species. Talk about bad bloody luck.”


Aphid stared evenly at the drone trotting beside her, the worker having introduced herself as ‘Muddle’. After having annoyed Mr Growls into giving her an ear scratch, she had approached and had asked a predictable question.

“I don’t know,” Aphid answered absentmindedly. “Should you be allowed into the harem?”

“I was in it before,” Muddle argued, gesturing with a hoof back towards the biped. “And the Queen said he was allowed to keep it. You can’t just kick me out and replace me!”

Aphid tittered. “Calm down, I haven’t made my mind up just yet. You have to admit, you four haven’t really done much to be called a ‘harem’.”

“We keep him happy.” Aphid gave Muddle a look while tilting her head at the response, prompting a revision. “…Sort of?”

“You use him for massages and it’s an easy and cushy job, don’t try and pretend it’s for his benefit. I’m in charge of him and the harem, so what’s stopping me from replacing you with another group of drones far more ready to heed his every desire?”

“But we… we were there first!” Muddle began, before swallowing a lump in her throat. “If I have to… do other stuff to stay in then I’ll do it, you don’t need to replace me.”

“Hmm…”

Aphid mulled over the plea, secretly amused that the job was so well sought after. She guessed it was better than digging holes or building, and the potential amount of bonus energy was rather appealing.

‘Hang on,’ she realised, a grin forming on her face. ‘This can be a good chance.’ Focusing back on Muddle, she shrugged.

“I don’t know, I think it’d be easier to replace all of you and start fresh. Maybe try and see if some of the infiltrators are interested, they’ve probably all screwed ponies so they’ll probably be up for some more unusual work.” Muddle’s ears dropped, Aphid moving in for the kill with a whisper. “You know, I could probably forget to look for a replacement.”

Muddle looked up with a knowing look. Biting her bottom lip, the hopeful drone whispered back. “A third of the energy I earn from any activities with him?”

“Half,” Aphid countered. “It’s not like he’s going to likely take advantage of what he’s got often. You can either take it, or leave it.”

“Fine,” Muddle accepted with a frown. “Even though I feel like you’ve just shafted me harder than he ever will.”

Aphid giggled lightly, giving the drone a wicked grin. “It’s what I do. Now, be a good little harem worker and leave him alone for a while. Considering what the Queen said, you’ll be in for a lot of work with him soon so he’ll be extra full of that affection.” Muddle began to move away with a scowl, Aphid finishing before she could leave completely. “Oh, and that offer extends to the other three, by the way.”

Muddle grumbled but her words were unintelligible, Aphid straightening with victory while continuing to trot along.

“What offer?”

She turned to smile at Burrow, her fellow soldier and current ‘Creature-Controller’ staring at her with apprehension. “Oh, just a little deal to ensure that everyone remains happy. Don’t fret about it Burrow.”

“I have good reasons to, anything with you in it usually goes terribly wrong for everyone except you.” He narrowed his eyes. “Let me guess: you’re abusing your power to control access to Mr Growls, right?”

‘Drat, he’s clued in.

“Burrow, Burrow, Burrow,” she repeated with a laugh. “Whatever could make you think that? I’m a loyal and hardworking soldier now in charge of an important resource for the entire Hive. To abuse that power would be unthinkable.” His stare remained, Aphid switching tactics. “However, say I was ‘utilising a precious resource to benefit at no harm to anyone’, then I’d be very happy to of course cut my co-worker into the deal at, say, ten percent?”

Burrow shook his head. “Wow, were you just hatched without any morals? For one, Mr Growls is not a ‘precious resource’.”

“Again with this,” she interrupted. “Look Burrow, if you want to ‘tame the bipedal beast’ then that’s fine, even a little hot.” Her mind wondered to the opposite scenario, intriguing her. “Or, be tamed by the beast, that could really do something for m-“

“No,” he stopped her, scrunching up his face. “I don’t have a thing for other males. You’re just immature.” Sighing again, he looked down at his hooves. “If you want to go around bullying drones, then fine, that’s your choice. Just don’t spoil this, okay?”

“Cross my heart,” she nodded, letting out a snigger. “You sap.”

“Better to be a sap then be you,” he grumbled, only increasing her mirth. Aphid laughed again, Burrow almost missing a step when she placed a foreleg over his back and trotted along on three legs.

“Oh come on, you love me,” she teased, before glancing back at the confused creature following them. “Right big guy? You both wouldn’t have a clue what to do without me to guide you on the right path.” She flashed him a wide grin and winked. “I sure do know some great paths to go down, and it’s always more fun with two friends instead of just one.”

“Grabaraw?”

“See?” she continued to Burrow. “Totally lost.”

“Of all the changelings to have to be stuck with,” he grumbled. “I get the sleazy, crazy, and constantly horny one.”

“Hey, I’m not crazy!”

“Of course that’s the one you’d argue against.”

Aphid shrugged, cricking her neck while she did so. “Eh, I can’t really deny the other two, can I?”

“You certainly got that right,” muttered Burrow, just as they left the field and started trotting through a second one.


“Fifty percent, are you joking?”

Muddle shook her head at Meddle’s question, the other drones assigned to the harem just as surprised at the harsh terms.

“I’m not, that’s what Aphid said. Either you accept the deal, or she’ll just replace you.” She rolled her eyes. “And unfortunately she was right when she said it was a cushy job.”

“Can’t we just go to the Queen?” asked Mirror.

“To say what? ‘Oh, Your Highness, a solider is stopping me, a drone, from being in the harem of the creature that punched you. She’s trying to extort me, please help’? Yeah, I can’t see that going badly for you.”

“Well,” Cypher added, glancing across at the biped and two soldiers sitting down on the grass to the far left of the field they had stopped in. “We could always try and ask that other soldier, Burrow, if we could stay. He seems pretty nice.”

“You can try if you want, but I don’t think he thinks a harem is even wanted.” sighed Meddle.

“Is it?”

“That’s not the problem,” Muddle stopped the two before they went off topic. “Look, I’ve accepted the deal and my spot is safe. To be honest I doubt that we’ll be doing anything raunchy often, so we don’t exactly lose much. It’s not like that soldier can tax us on affection we earn by just being around.”

“And it’s not like there’ll be a shortage of replacements,” she continued, sparing a glance around the crowd of changelings resting around the field. “As soon as the word gets out that there’s an easy job looking after a harmless and gullible creature who doesn’t even know what a harem is for, with a chance of lots of bonus food thrown in, you can bet your wings that Aphid will be drowning in volunteers. I suggest you all take the deal, no matter how unfair it is.”

The other three all muttered under their breaths, Muddle turning around to trot towards her new bosses. She passed groups of drones, soldiers, and nurses all sitting down on the ground waiting for what was to come once the night fell.

‘At least I don’t have to help attack,’ she shuddered, remembering her time in Canterlot.

A quick search around the area yielded nothing unusual save for the Queen flying off low to the ground with a bunch of soldiers in tow. Guessing that Chrysalis was taking a closer look at the town they planned to attack, Muddle refocused on her task. As she approached the two soldiers and Mr Growls, she overheard the conversation between them.

“… just don’t do it again without permission, Aphid. Look at him, he didn’t really like touching you before and now you go and do this.”

Moving closer, Muddle could see that Mr Growls was eyeing Aphid uneasily while Burrow frowned.

“All I did was just give his finger a kiss,” Aphid defended with her forelegs crossed in front of her chest. “He’s got to stop being such a baby.”

“A kiss? Aphid, when he went to give you an ear scratch you wrapped your mouth around a finger and sucked. I just… what’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing at all, it’s all in good fun.” A saucy grin was directed at Burrow. “Also, you forgot the part where I gave the end a lick on the way out. Come on, you’re just jealous that I’m not teasing you all of the time.”

Muddle paused and started to circle around when Burrow placed his head into his forehooves.

“By the Queen, why you weren’t hatched as or promoted to an infiltrator is a mystery.”

Circumventing the two, she quietly advanced behind the biped and ignored the stares she was receiving from the other changelings around the field. Burrow and Aphid continued to argue and annoy each other, so they paid her no mind while she snuck up to sit beside Mr Growls.

“Grawba?”

“Shh,” she shushed with a foreleg in front of her mouth, being careful to not make any sudden moves that might unsettle him. He stared back at her before refacing the pair of soldiers, but Muddle could see him watching her carefully out of the corner of an eye.

“You worry far too much, Burrow.”

“Of course I worry. If it wasn’t bad enough before when you were flashing your rump at him, now we’ve got the Queen herself keeping an eye on what happens. She already doesn’t like him, so we need to be careful.”

“He has a harem, it’s not like anything I do will really draw much attention.”

Muddle looked towards the biped when he sighed, the creature appearing to already be tired. The afternoon sun probably wasn’t helping, the warm rays welcome after the harsh cold and grey skies. Reaching a foreleg around, she gave him a pat on the bare back.

“Grab!?” he jolted up, Muddle quickly withdrawing her hoof when she realised that she had misjudged and gone a little too low. A light burst of laughter caused her to look forwards again, the two soldiers having noticed her presence.

“See?” Aphid continued to giggle. “I’m not the only one.”

“It-it was an accident,” Muddle tried to explain, lowering her ears at Burrow’s frown. “I’m sorry, I didn’t-“

“Grabwar.” A hand hesitantly rested on the top of her head, giving her a pat. “Grrung graw.”

Figuring that she had been forgiven for the slip-up, Muddle smiled up at the wary Mr Growls. “Thanks, I’m sorry for that.” The head rub continued, Burrow turning to Aphid.

“See? At least she apologised for what she did and didn’t revel in it.” He turned to her and nodded. “It’s okay… Muddle, wasn’t it?” She nodded, so he continued. “Thanks for that, Aphid kind of freaked him out a little earlier, and you know how skittish he is about… that.”

“I’ll try to keep within the boundaries, but he does seem far more, well…”

“Prudish?” Aphid suggested, Muddle nodding an affirmative.

It was kind of true. Granted, changelings weren’t exactly what many would call a modest race, but even ponies were less touch-shy than Mr Growls.

“He probably just doesn’t like strange creatures trying to get with him constantly,” Burrow sighed while rubbing his temples with his forehooves. “How’d you like it if you were surrounded by hundreds of his sp- and I’m just going to stop myself there.”

“Oh, keep talking,” Aphid teased, grinning widely. “I like where it’s going.”

“No.”

“Spoilsport.”

Mr Growls sighed again, and the head rub stopped when he laid down on his back to stare up at the sky. Muddle remained sitting, tilting her head at the expression on his face. It was one of mild amusement, and she briefly wondered as to just how much information he was able to pick up without being able to talk to them.

“Hey there, big guy.” The arguing was cut off again, Cypher trotting right past the two soldiers to flop down onto her belly beside Mr Growls. “Sleep time already?” She stretched out her legs and cricked her neck, before glancing over. “Anything happen, Muddle?”

“No,” she answered with a wave of her hoof. “I think he’s just worn out from the walk, I know my own hooves are killing me.”

“You could always get him to help with that,” Meddle joined in, also joining them on the ground with Mirror in tow.

“That’s not going to happen,” Burrow cut in, relocating so he was sitting down and watching them all. “I think Mr Growls just needs a break from all the attention, right Aph… Aphid, what are you doing!?”

“What?”

Muddle had to hold in her laughter at the sight of her boss, Aphid having sat down… right on top of Mr Growls’ groin. Her forelegs were rubbing the exposed belly while she stared at Burrow with a confused look.

“I… I don’t…” Burrow stammered, Aphid shrugging at his reaction. Muddle glanced down to Mr Growls, the biped’s eyes wide as he seemed to be desperately concentrating to prevent… something.

“Hey, Chrysalis wants him to feel love,” Aphid commented with a light smile. “So I intend to make that happen. I’m in charge of a harem now, Burrow. That means it’s my job to instruct the workers on to how to properly conduct themselves.” The smile grew. “Of course, if you want to be in charge instead of pretty much being his nymph-sitter, then I’m sure I could trade jobs for a day every now and then.”

Burrow paled, and he quickly waved his forehooves in front of him. “Oh, no, I’m sure that you’ll be able to do fine. Really, and the Queen did already appoint you in the job and I’d hate to take it away from you!”

“So easy,” Aphid murmured, before clicking her tongue. She glanced around to all of them, ensuring that she had their full attention. “Now, watch closely you four. Today, we’re going to all learn about how to at once relax and stimulate an overly-modest biped for maximum energy potential. The first step is to use his own tactics against him, in this case a nice belly rub to calm him down.”

Muddle once again checked on Mr Growls, the frozen look of horror not exactly what she would call ‘calm’.

“Damn it,” she heard Burrow mutter quietly while he looked away. “Things are only going to get worse from here, aren’t they?”

Feeling a little sorry for the concerned soldier, she tried to put it out of her mind and refocused her attention towards Aphid.

She couldn’t help but think that the soldier was a little too enthusiastic and experienced in such things, right as Aphid gave Mr Growls a look that would make even the experienced of infiltrators blush.


“Such idiotic morons, completely unaware that tonight their little town will become mine.”

Chrysalis muttered to herself while her eyes narrowed at the pony farming town. Typical of equestrian settlements, even the farms were within spitting distance of each other the town was that small and compact.

“And then my army will grow, with new strength to crush those accursed princesses!”

The soldiers escorting her remained silent, Chrysalis too focused on revelling in her plans to pay them any mind. Her hooves dug into the dirt while she sneered at the ponies shutting their windows and extinguishing lights, the orchard of orange trees hiding her and her soldiers from any watchful eyes.

The brick houses with their thatched roofs were soon all bathed in darkness save for a single building with a red cross on the front. The dirt streets were silent and empty, even the surrounding farmhouses having turned in for the night. She looked up towards the sky, the moon not even close to being in the middle of the starry sky.

‘They huddle in their beds at the darkness,’ she thought, licking her fangs at the thought of the feast that was soon to come. ‘But that won’t save them. They will be the first to fall.’

“Ha!” she suddenly laughed, wings beginning to buzz as she turned for the main camp. “Tonight will be a good night, I can already taste it! Soldiers, follow.”

She lifted off into the air with another laugh, her subordinates accompanying her with the darkness of the night eliminating the risk of discovery by the sleeping town. Chrysalis had to restrain her malicious joy, a grin on her face while she went to gather her army.

There was one more things she needed to do before the attack.

Feed.

‘Time to test the new buffet,’ she decided, anticipating the chance to drain her unwanted guest. Her speed picked up, the soldiers lagging behind as their weaker wings struggled to match hers. The grassy fields below blurred into one, before she reached her destination and landed upon the grass next to a group of sleeping drones.

“Wake up,” she commanded, the drones blinking their eyes awake before shooting upright once they saw it was her. Not paying them any attention while they rushed to their hooves, Chrysalis continued on towards her goal as the soldiers landed behind her.

The biped was sleeping on his back, surrounded by the changelings assigned to look after him and serve as entertainment to keep him passive. Her initial look of disgust turned to one of confusion when she spotted the soldier she’d assigned to manage the harem slumbering atop the creature, hind legs spayed out on either side while she snored into his chest.

Four drones were also resting around the large beast, seemingly at ease while they huddled up against the bulk and snored along with the soldier on top.

Private Burrow, the only awake one assigned to the biped, lifted his head from their resting spot on his forelegs. He clambered to his hooves and bowed his head, Chrysalis able to sense his concern.

“Your Majesty,” he greeted softly.

“Private,” she returned with less venom than he was likely expecting. “What have I just trotted upon?”

The soldier looked towards her gesturing hoof, wincing when he saw that it was pointed towards his comrade. “Ah… Aphid decided to instruct the drones she’s assigned to the harem how to relax Mr Growls. Well, she got a little too invested and ended up falling asleep on top of him.”

Grimacing at the stupid name that the creature had been given, Chrysalis snorted. “I don’t know how she can even bare to sleep like that, let alone take pride in her assigned task.”

“Aphid’s pretty much, and excuse me for saying this Your Highness, strange to the point of insanity sometimes.” He noticed her glance towards Aphid again. “She just really enjoys teasing him, and…” he scuffed his hoof on the grass. “I guess his modesty is something she wants to break for some reason. I think she finds his reluctance to respond to her amusing, and a challenge.”

Chrysalis nodded, actually able to understand the female soldier’s desire for an interesting challenge to overcome, but some of Burrow’s words stood out to her. “Hold on, you’re saying that… Mr Growls, isn’t attracted to changelings?”

Burrow shook his head. “He seems to like us, but so far he’s tried to avoid any intimate contact. I don’t know if it’s because we’re a different species or if his species is just really modest.” He paused, looking towards the four drones lying down with a thoughtful look. “However, having changelings around him seems to be helping him to fit in better.”

“But it’s a waste of drones,” she told him trotting around the side of the creature to examine him better. “A cocoon would eliminate the need to help him ‘fit in’, I don’t plan on letting any dangerous creatures ruin my plans.”

The soldier trotted up to her, bowing his head once more. “Please, Your Highness, I can make sure he keeps on being good. All I need is a chance, and I promise that this idea will work.”

She stared at the soldier, his head remaining lowered the entire time. Looking towards the biped then to the changeling sleeping atop him, she huffed and approached closer.
“We will see what happens after we seize the nearby town. If I find the energy he admits in this state satisfying, then that will be a bonus in his favour.” She advanced upon the sleeping biped, warily keeping her distance from the two forearms that had clocked her earlier. Rolling her eyes at the dopey look on Private Aphid’s face, she bent down over the sleeping Mr Growls and commenced her feeding.

The ambient energy around him flowed into her, Chrysalis sighing happily as the surprisingly palatable emotion relaxed her mood. Pausing to savour it, she pondered the quality and compared it to her previous dining.

It was magically barren compared to that of Shining Armour’s or even a standard unicorn’s love, and it lacked the power that she was expecting from such a large creature, but it was rather tasty and filling. Smacking her lips, she decided that she enjoyed the spicy tinge it had, a rather exotic ‘flavour’ that had so far been unknown.

‘While it has little magic in it, it tastes pretty good.’ Chrysalis went in for another sample, nodding her head afterwards. ‘Yes, he will make a very fine food-beast, and could possibly improve with some work.

Stepping back, she found her mood lifted and it surprised her. Glancing down at Burrow, whose eyes were wide with hope, she couldn’t even glare as she nodded once more. “It is good and filling, he can remain free… for now.”

“Thank you,” Burrow bowed, and she quickly halted him with a hoof.

“There is no need for thanks. Continue to improve his mood and ensure the proper flow of energy, and I shall be able to… overlook his past transgressions.” Pausing to wonder at her sudden bout of consideration, she dismissed it as an aftermath of the feeding. “As soon as the soldiers that accompanied me have fed, we will take over the pony town. Wake him when we leave and follow behind on hoof, but ensure that he does not interfere.” She glanced to Mr Growls, her eyes narrowing. “He may be in allegiance with the Equestrians.”

“I’m on it, Your Highness,” Burrow saluted, before his ears perked up. “Also, once the town is taken, can I take supplies for him?”

Chrysalis laughed with a grin on her face as she turned to leave. “I have no problem with you appropriating pony supplies as you wish, it’s not like they’ll need them once they’re back in the hive.”

She didn’t wait for a reply, the soldiers who had scouted with her moving past to jostle for some energy of their own. Still savouring the decent meal she had just consumed, Chrysalis reassessed her previous grievances about keeping Mr Growls around.

‘This might just prove to be useful after all,’ she silently chortled, before returning to her imagining of ruling over Equestria with an iron hoof.


‘Ah fuck, not now..’

Daniel winced as a hoof prodded him in the shoulder, but it wasn’t the contact or the apologetic chattering that caused it. Placing a hand over his forehead, he groaned and hesitantly opened his eyes. Boris was tilting his head at him with concern evident in his eyes while he withdrew his hoof.

“Just a migraine,” Daniel brushed off. “I’ll be fine in a few hours.” He made to get up but there was a weight on his chest, a snoozing bug-horse drooling onto him with her forelegs shoved into his armpits.

‘Bluegh, bug-horse spit.’

He shifted uncomfortably, a noticeable warm spot on his groin not helping things. Looking towards Boris, he grimaced and started to speak. “Do you mind waking her up? I kind of… well, it’s really a natural reaction and-“

Boris got the point, already moving to remove the sleeping female. After a few prods of a hoof yielded no response save for some muttering, Boris’ face hardened.

Daniel, despite the splitting headache, struggled to hold in laughter when Boris suddenly shoved the female soldier off of him. Waking up instantly, she flailed her limbs before thudding down onto the grass, a frown on her face while she got to her hooves. Irritated chattering was exchanged between the pair, waking the other four bug-horses that he suspected were the same from before.

“Okay, keep it down,” he requested with a point towards the arguing pair. Briefly rubbing his forehead above his left eye, he got to his feet. He noticed Boris eyeing his groin with a stare, before the bug-horse turned to chatter at the female again. She also looked and quickly bowed her head, Daniel grimacing when he saw the damp patch that had been left there.

He shuddered at the thought.

The four normal bug-horses standing around him all giggled, causing the female soldier to lower her head even more. Daniel sighed at her behaviour, reaching out a hand to pat her on the head.

“Hey, at least you’re embarrassed about it as well,” he shrugged, her blue eyes looking up at him with confusion. Pausing to quickly rub his temple, he forced a smile. “I guess these things happen? Just… maybe try to not rub against me and then fall asleep. That sort of shit causes problems for both of us.” Giving her a scratch behind the ear, he watched while her wings buzzed and she nuzzled his hand in response.

“Chzt, Chrrzt.”

Boris trotted up to grab their attention, his hoof pointing towards the far side of the field.

All of them looked over, the rest of the bug-horses taking flight and heading into the night away from them. Daniel squinted and managed to spot a flash of coloured hair that matched that of the leader he had punched.

“We’re leaving already? Can I at least find some water before we go because this headache is bloody annoyin-“

“Czzt.”

Boris cut him off with a gesture and buzz, starting to trot away after the main group. Daniel hesitated, not really looking forward to another walk at the current time. He was thirsty, out of berries, and there were no painkillers in sight for the pounding in his skull.

Something nudged him in the back of his leg, one of the bug-horses chattering at him while the others followed Boris’ lead. Assuming they wanted him to follow as well, he sighed and trudged after them.

“Tonight’s going to be shitful,” he grumbled, toolbox in hand while he did what they wanted him to.


Ponies screamed in fright while doors splintered under the weight of charges, the small farming town sleepy no-longer.

Chrysalis strolled down the street with a wicked grin, cackling while her subjects took over the small town.

“Yes, take them all! Make these ponies pay for what their princesses did! Soon everyone shall dread the name of ‘Chrysalis’ and tremble in their hovels! Feast, my children, feast and grow stronger still!”

She continued to laugh as the townsfolk were dragged from their homes and onto the street, the ponies utterly stunned by her ingenious plan of attack.

“This is only the beginning!” she continued, laughing madly while a fork of lighting flashed across the sky.


Burrow winced when Mr Growls heaved again, the biped crouched over a small bush as the attack continued in the town down the road. His friend had appeared sick since he had woken up, with pale skin that was cold and clammy. The four drones watched with equal concern, while Aphid was scrunching up her face.

“Gross,” she commented, taking a step back when another lead of stomach contents splattered against the grass. “Bleugh.”

“He’s sick,” Burrow snapped at her with more anger than he expected. Aphid drew back, shocked at his baring of fangs. “Have a little compassion.”

“I… I do,” she stammered.

“Then stop acting like you don’t, this isn’t a joke.” Burrow turned back to Mr Growls and trotted over to pat him on the back. “You okay?”

Burrow didn’t get a response, the biped wiping his mouth with the back of his hand before sitting down and holding his head.

“I’m going to get a nurse,” he decided, pointing at the four drones. “Watch him, I’ll be back as soon as possible.”

“What about me?” Aphid asked softly.

“Just… don’t do anything stupid,” was all he could say, dashing off towards the town.

His hooves pounded on the simple dirt road, Burrow looking everywhere for his fellow changelings. Soldiers flew over the town, drones surrounded the exits, and the Queen’s laughter could be heard even by him. Angling towards a group hanging back, Burrow skidded to a halt while the twenty-three changelings stared at him.

“Is anyone here a nurse?” he tried, five of the changelings raising their hooves. “Great, I need to borrow one of you to take a look at Mr Growls.”

All of the changelings shared confused looks. “Who?” one asked, Burrow huffing in irritation at their cluelessness.

“The big biped,” he clarified. “Come on, he’s really sick and needs help.”

“We only know how to help changelings, sorry,” one nurse apologised with a bow of her head. “If it’s a cut or something like that then I’ll take a look, but anything else I wouldn’t know what to do.”

She received murmurs of agreement, another one of the nurses shrugging with a sad smile on her face. “Yeah, sorry we can’t help your friend. Maybe the Queen might know something?”

He glanced to the town behind them, the evil laughs continuing over the yells and shouts.

“I’d rather not ask,” he gulped, before sighing and nodding. “Thanks anyway.”

He resumed his galloping after reseating his helmet, passing by the group and heading towards the assaulted town. The line of drones and soldiers guarding one end of the main road parted to let him through, Burrow passing rows of houses and groups of ponies and changelings alike.

His fellows were dragging ponies of all ages and colours onto the street and binding their hooves with sticky green phlegm. Burrow’s brief glances as he raced past only revealed earth ponies, no unicorns or pegasi amongst the captured population. Racing down the street to find the Queen, he dodged to the right as a green mare ran out of a grocery store and nearly collided with him. She didn’t pause, and after she had galloped past him Burrow heard the sound of a changeling diving down from the sky and the thud that signalled the halting of the mare’s attempted escaped.

The fate of the Equestrians was at the very back of his mind, however. Burrow didn’t pause for anything, leaping over captured ponies sobbing on the ground and weaving through groups of soldiers looking for more to capture. Only passing attention was paid to the buildings around him, until one in particular caused him to stop and stare at it.

It was a simple and small brick building, but the large red cross mounted above the glass door made its purpose obvious to work out. It looked like it was untouched, Burrow trotting up carefully and pushing against it with a forehoof.

The door swung open inwards, Burrow’s ear lifting when he heard a loud thump and a sharp intake of breath.

He had a plan in mind.


“Ouch…”

Scarlet Streak rubbed her head with a hoof, but thankfully no blood was present in her cherry-red mane. Lowering her grey hoof back down, she made sure to not back well away from the shelf above before standing up. Taking a quick second to readjust her white nurse’s hat, she placed the parcel of bandages into the large brown doctor’s bag.

Being Graindale’s only doctor’s assistant and resident weather-mare, in addition to being the sole pegasus amongst the town of earth ponies, often had caused her to wish for something exciting to happen for once in her life.

Unfortunately, a changeling invasion had not been what she had hoped for.

“Got to hurry,” she muttered, using her wings to sweep in more medical supplies in preparation for her escape. She could hear all of her fellow townsfolk in the streets, but there was really nothing she could do apart from run out of the back door and hope that she could warn another town or treat any ponies injured in their own escapes.

Fumbling with the bag’s clasp, she froze when she heard the front door softly close. ‘Oh no…’

Turning around slowly, she gulped when she laid eyes upon the changeling standing in her only exit out. It looked really, really mean, a blue helmet on its head and armour on its back. Her eyes immediately focused on his fangs, Scarlet shuddering at the thought of what they might be capable off.

She backed up, only to have her rump hit the wooden bench behind her.

“Good changeling,” she whimpered, raising a hoof towards it in an attempt to calm it. “Don’t come any closer…”

“Pony.”

The buzzing speech sent another jolt through her, Scarlet flinching.

“Don’t hurt me, please,” she pleaded, shrinking on the spot. “I don’t want my emotions drained!”

“You’re a nurse?” the changeling replied with the voice of a male. She nodded, and he relaxed as a result. “Good. If you help me, I won’t hurt you.”

Scarlet looked up, eyes wide while she looked him over. “Y-you’re hurt?”

He shook his head. “No, a friend of mine is sick.”

She didn’t know what to do. Scarlet doubted that she could fight the changeling and escape wasn’t possible. From the sounds outside, the town was well and truly lost. She’d never been a brave pony, so she nodded and mumbled quietly. “I’ll help, just don’t-“

“Hurt you, I know,” the soldier cut her off with a buzz of his wings. “Now grab that bag and trot in front of me, if you try to escape then our deal is off.”

Shaking, Scarlet took the bag with a wing and placed it onto her back. It was heavy but she didn’t dare to complain, the changeling watching her closely all the while. Hoping that it wasn’t going to end with being imprisoned in a cocoon, or worse, she slowly trotted past him to pause in the doorway.

“Trot,” the changeling ordered. “Down the main street towards the south end of town.”

Scarlet nodded and tried to hold back her tears, her legs shaking with fear. She passed the empty reception desk and pushed open the glass door, folding her ears down at the shouts and sobs. Stepping out into the street, she sniffled when she saw the bunches of ponies tied up with green goo on the ground.

“Go on,” the changeling behind her urged.

She trotted in the direction he had ordered, three other changelings in armour approaching them with wide grins.

“Taking one for yourself, hey?” one of them laughed, Scarlet drawing back at the question.

“No wonder, she’s pretty,” the second chortled, his eyes giving her a once over. Scarlet instinctively tucked in her wings and tail, praying that it wasn’t going to end up like… that.

The soldier that had captured her stepped up beside her, glaring at the trio. “I’m taking her to have a look at Mr Growl’s, the biped, because he’s sick and the nurses said they couldn’t help him.”

“You mean Foodbag? He doesn’t need a cute pony nurse, but exercise!” the first laughed. "But, you know, running and that. Not the fun kind." He was was cut off with a growl.

“If you’ve got a problem, take it up with the Queen. I’m authorised to take any supplies I need to look after him, and that includes ponies. Now get out of the way and stop acting like such sleezebags.”

The three parted with scowls, a nudge in her side prompting Scarlet to move through and past them. She kept her head down and her eyes on her forehooves, the soldier muttering behind her.

“I swear, is that all we changelings think about?”

She didn’t attempt to answer or question it, moving as commanded to save her own hide. She occasionally had to swerve to avoid captured ponies lying in her path, but no other changelings bothered them until they reached the end of the town.

“Hey, Burrow.” Scarlet looked up, a line of the scary creatures looking her way. One in armour was moving out to meet them with a hoof raised. “Where are you taking that pony mare? The Queen ordered that all ponies are to remain in the town.” The advancing changeling’s eyes narrowed. “She also commanded that they are to all be treated like food, not entertainment, so if you’re thinking of-“

“I’m not, Sergeant,” her captor reassured. “She’s a doctor, and I’m taking her to help Mr Growls.”

The Sergeant’s stare lost its accusation. “He’s sick?”

“Vomiting, he hasn’t really been looking good since the last feeding.”

“Hmm, I hope we haven’t overdone it. I was worried that such a large amount at once might drain him completely.” A hoof was waved, the Sergeant gesturing for the blockade to part. “Go on then, I’ll deal with any complaints.”

Scarlet felt a hoof prod her in the side again, and she moved without question. She sniffled, but her tears had stopped when the creatures had said what they needed her for. The soldier behind her didn’t speak to her, he merely guided her towards a clearing in the trees. Another changeling moved to meet them, four more sitting around a big, furless creature that was lying flat on the ground.

“What's this, Burrow?” the new changeling sighed, but there was a small smile on her face. “When it was suggested that you fetch a nurse, I didn’t think you were going to get a pony one.” Scarlet shuddered when the new changeling leered at her. “She is pretty cute though, the drones might have some competition when Growly wakes up.”

“Really Aphid, ‘Growly’?”

“What? I think I’m familiar enough with him to not have to call him ‘Mister’ by now.”

“Familiar? All you’ve done is… gah, we don’t have time for this now. Pony, come on.”

Scarlet advanced as commanded, gulping as she came close to the thing on the ground. It had its eyes closed and wasn’t really moving save for the rising and falling of its chest, one of the changelings next to it eyeing it with a worried look while she touched a hoof to a large forehead.

Carefully, she lowered the medical bag to the grassy ground, gulping while trying to get her shaking limbs under control. Aware of the unwelcoming eyes on her, she reminded herself to not make any threatening moves.

“Is…” she began, before changing her mind. “I mean, what is he?”

“We don’t know,” the changeling called Burrow answered, watching her closely.

“Okay,” Scarlet took a deep breath. “I can’t guarantee that I’ll be able to help-“

“You’ll try your hardest, and if you hurt him more…”

Scarlet choked back a sob at the implication, nodding her head and just getting on with it.

“Geez Burrow, what’s gotten into you?” Aphid trotted around to tilt her head at them. “She’s just a terrified pony.”

Getting to work while they argued, Scarlet touched a hoof to an arm. It was cold, but to be honest she couldn’t really tell if it was normal or not. Deciding to try her luck with another of the changelings, she looked at the one with her hoof on the forehead and asked in a soft voice. “What happened, exactly?”

The changeling looked at her, before glancing to the ones in armour and back again.

“He woke up and looked sick, he was holding his head a lot, and he threw up once we stopped here. Since then, he’s just been lying down and keeping his eyes shut.”

‘A headache maybe?’ There was one stallion in the town who’d been having bad headaches from time to time, but she needed more to go off.

“That’s good, and... is he usually that cold?”

“No, that’s why we’re so worried.”

Scarlet honestly had no idea at all as to what could be wrong apart from a bad headache. Leaning down towards the creature, she gulped. “Um, hello Mr… Growls?”

“He can’t understand you,” the same changeling told her, but paused when a blue eye opened. Scarlet took a step back as the creature lifted himself up on an arm, rubbing his temple and staring at her.

“Graw?”

“Hello,” Scarlet waved hesitantly, having gotten a peek at the teeth that he possessed. She knew that changelings ate emotion, but this monster was no changeling. “My… my name’s Scarlet, and I’m going to help you, okay?”

The creature didn’t reply to her, and instead looked at Burrow. “Grawbra?” A finger was pointed towards her. “Grabragra?”

“Hey, she’s here to help you,” Burrow smiled, moving past to pat the beast on his shoulder. Scarlet was surprised that his voice was far less harsh than when he’d been talking to her. “Just let her do what she needs to do to make you better, okay?” A hole-riddled hoof was pointed towards the nurse cap.

The creature nodded, before turning to look at the town. Scarlet lowered her head and didn’t follow his eyeline, trying to ignore the evil laughter coming from the village that had only increased in volume.

The sound of scribbling caused her to look back up, the thing drawing something on a pad of parchment. He wasn’t using a quill, but instead a long cylinder. Scarlet also noticed that all of the changelings were patiently waiting for him to finish.

“He can’t speak to us, as you’ve probably noticed,” the female soldier whispered to her. “So he draws things and gets us to draw as well, to explain things.”

Scarlet looked over the parchment when it was shown to her specifically. On it was what looked like the biped in a bed, appearing to be asleep. Next to it was a glass of water, and a bunch of tablets.

“Oh,” she nodded, already using her wings to fumble in her bag. “You need water, painkillers and sleep? Has this happened before?”

He didn’t reply, his eye locked on her wing as it pulled out pill-bottle after pill-bottle. Scarlet shook her head, sighing sadly. “I haven’t got any painkillers in here, but I’ve got some sleeping tablets.” Glancing towards the two soldiers, she managed to mumble out a request. “Could I get someone to get some water from somewhere, please? There should be a stream just to the left.”

“What are you going to do?” Burrow asked, his previous venom gone.

Scarlet prepared for backlash. “I’m going to give him a sleeping pill, hope that it’ll work on something his size, and then give him a drink of water. It seems to be what he wants and a good rest is pretty good at solving a lot of problems.”

Instead of a protest, the soldier nodded. “Okay then, I guess that’s a pretty decent option. I’ll go and get some water. Aphid, make sure she doesn’t escape.”

“On it,” the female replied, gesturing for her to sit down. Scarlet did as she was told, her rump hitting the grass while she tried to make herself as small as possible. The biped was still staring at her, a worried look on his face while he looked from her to the town.

As Burrow galloped off to find the stream she’d told them about, Scarlet tried to calm her racing heart.

Unfortunately, being trapped in a forest with an unknown giant and changelings didn’t help much in that regard.


Daniel stared at the horse creature sitting before him, amusingly with an old-timey doctor’s bag at her hooves and a white hat with a red cross on it. The grey and red pony had neighed at him, the voice leading him to assumed that she was female. While she seemed as intelligent as the bug-horses, having somehow communicated to them with neighs despite the bug-horses buzzing back, it was her wings that were the oddest thing to him at the moment.

‘It’s like the greek gods are real, and Zeus and Poseidon are running wild around here,’ he mused, thinking of all of the strange creatures he’d seen so far.

He winced at the laughter from the town again as a particularly loud cackle rose up. For some reason it sounded closer to him, almost as if it was coming from within his own skull. Blaming his migraine, he redirected his attention back to what he was just going to dub ‘Flying-Horse’.

She did not look like she wanted to be there at all, and combined with the commotion in the town it wasn’t hard to work out that the bug-horses and ponies did not seem to get on. He certainly hoped that Luna, if she was even real, wasn’t in charge of these ponies.

That would be an awkward conversation.

Flying-Horse was keeping still and quiet, the female soldier watching her carefully as if she was a prisoner. Hoping that his bug-horse friends weren’t going to hurt her afterwards, he decided to lean back down and wait for Boris to return with what he hoped would be water. Closing his eyes, he rubbed his left temple and cursed the amount of trouble he was causing everyone.

Something touched him on the forehead, so Daniel opened an eye to see what it was. It was one of the normal bug-horses with a hoof, the creature chattering at him in what he guessed was an attempt to comfort.

Oh, how he wished he could tell them all that it really was just a migraine, considering that it seemed like they thought he was dying or something.

“Chrtzt!”

He heard the trotting of approaching hooves before he saw Boris reappear, the bug-horse standing over him with a smile. Boris’ horn was glowing green, a curved section of tree bark holding water clutched in a green field that was levitating near his mouth.

‘Eh,’ Daniel mentally shrugged. ‘I don’t really care if they can telekinesis at this point, there’s already flying horses that can apparently talk.’

Speaking of talking flying horses, a feathered wing came into view. It was hesitantly holding out a white pill to him, Daniel reaching up to grab it from the grey feathers. Flying-Horse’s brown eyes watched his fingers closely, and he noticed her shiver when he took the medication from her.

“I hope this won’t kill me,” he said, popping it into his mouth and accepting the water from Boris. He swallowed the pill without issue, even if the water provided tasted a bit woody. “Thanks fellas, I just need a little sleep and I’ll be all good in a few hours.” Almost as an afterthought, he reached out towards the nurse-horse that had provided him with the pill. She froze, his hand patting her on her curly red mane while he looked at Boris. “Also, I know you’re just trying to help, but don’t be such a wanker towards her, okay mate?”

Boris looked towards the nurse pony before nodding, Daniel giving a nod back before he laid his head back down and tried to get comfortable. He could feel a fuzziness in his head, his eyes getting heavy.

The last thing he heard before he fell asleep was Boris chattering, only to be met with a confused nay.


Scarlet stared down at the creature, now fast asleep thanks to the sleeping pill. Briefly raising a wing to touch her mane, she wondered what the biped had said. However, there was a more pressing concern at the current time.

Looking towards Burrow, the changeling who seemed to be in charge, she tapped her forehooves together nervously.

“So… can I please go now? I’ve done all that I can and you said-“

“I said I’d let you go when he’s better,” Burrow replied, before glancing at the creature and sighing. “But he did seem to like you.” He sat in thought the other changelings waiting for him to speak.

“I say we keep her around until he wakes up again,” the female soldier, Aphid, commented. “Sorry pony, but I don’t quite trust you just yet. Besides, it’s not like we can just let you go right away.”

“I did say that she could go as soon as she helped, Aphid.”

“Burrow, I know that you did, but do you think the Queen will be happy if we just let a pegasus escape to tell the Royal Guard that we’re here?”

Burrow shuddered, shaking his head. “I guess not.”

“But you said…” Scarlet tried, starting to shake again. “You promised.”

“I know, and I’m sorry. Look, we have some power over the others. If you just stay quiet and act like you’re helping us with looking after him, we can probably convince the Queen to let you go after he’s all better. In the meantime, we can make sure that no changelings bother you, okay? I’m sorry again, but that’s the best we can do.”

He was waiting for her to speak, but Scarlet didn’t know what to say. She laid down and put her head in her forelegs, hoping desperately that the biped would indeed wake up all better.

She heard Burrow sigh, before he began to trot away.

“I’m going to get some more drones, let’s try and move him to a bed in the pony town instead of this forest. “

“Fine, I’ll stay here and look after the drones and the pony.”

“Aphid, no touching.”

“Oh come on Burrow, would I ever take advantage of him when he’s… actually, don’t answer that.”

“Typical.”

The hoof beats moved away, Scarlet shivering again when a weight settled down next to her.

“Don’t worry pony,” Aphid buzzed with a laugh. “You’re probably in the safest group in the Hive at the moment. Growly even punched out Chrysalis, and we’ll take good care of you.” There was another laugh, Scarlet tucking her wings in even tighter.

She wasn’t exactly reassured.


“Uh, where am…”

Daniel trailed off, looking around the room that he found himself in. It was the familiar study that had frequented his last few dreams, a roaring fire filling the area with a relaxing heat. He looked down at the surprisingly comfortable armchair that he was in, the same blue colour that most of the room was decorated with.

”Ah, good evening, friend.” He looked up to find Princess Luna lying on a couch with a weighty book open on her forelegs and a tea set on a table beside her. The book disappeared with a poof of blue dust when Luna sat up with a smile. “It’s been a while since we last spoke. Tea?”

He glanced at the set, yet to have tried the refreshments that she was always offering.

‘Eh, why not?’

“Sure.”

While Luna poured two cups, she tilted her head at him. “So, you left abruptly during your last visit. Is something wrong?” Her eyes narrowed. “Did the changelings bring harm to you?”

“No, they’re still treating me well.”

“Oh,” Luna relaxed, before she nervously tapped her forehooves together. “Was it something that I said or did? My social interactions with my subjects can be difficult at times, so if I...”

He waved a hand. “Oh, no it was nothing you said. I was woken up by something and that’s why I kind of left without saying goodbye.” He recalled what it was, supressing a shudder at the memory of the bug-horse leader and her glowing eyes. “It’s uh… been a little crazy since.”

“Oh, something interesting?” Luna perked up, sitting up and shaking her wings. Daniel eyed the feathered appendages warily, having just met another horse with wings as well. “Night court has been so boring tonight, and I’m thankful for your company. Please, do tell all.”

Daniel winced, she didn’t look like she was going to back down.

He rubbed his nose and, coughed into a hand at what he was about to have to explain.

“Uh, well, it’s complicated…” he began, before taking a deep breath. “First off, you mentioned that you and your sister have horses as subjects?”

“Ponies,” Luna correct, smiling with a giggle. “The term ‘horse’ sounds like another word that has existed since I can remember, and it’s not used in polite conversation.” Her smile faded slightly, Luna huffing with a role of her eyes. “Referring to them as ‘mares of the night’ has also, unfortunately, remained.”

He tapped his fingers on the armrest, before clearing his throat while Luna continued to brood. “Ah, well, so you do have ponies as subjects?”

“All kinds of ponies,” Luna nodded, smile back with full force. “You of course remember me telling you about my bat-ponies?”

“Oh, oh yeah I do.” Daniel bit his bottom lip.

Luna leaned forwards, studying him intently. “You seem tense, is something the matter?”

“Yeah,” he nodded. “So, these ponies of yours, do you happen to look after all of them?”

“We do, all of the ponies in these lands. Why?”

Daniel winced, before sighing and leaning back in the chair.

“Just a warning, you’re not going to like what I’m about to tell you…”

Author's Note:

So I wonder just how Luna will react to the news of the past day.

Probably not well, really.

Once again. all comments and corrections welcome. I've probably stuffed a few things up here and there.