• Published 8th May 2012
  • 1,936 Views, 7 Comments

When Three Worlds Collide - steelmatt6



The main 6 and friends are thrown into 2064AD Earth: a place where friendship is hard to come by.

  • ...
4
 7
 1,936

Prologue Part 2: Up To No Good


Theme Music:

Prologue (PART 2)
-Up to No Good-

Click Here to re-visit Character Profiles

Dr. Sid, Aki, and the rest of the team settled down for breakfast at a casual diner, two blocks away from the main laboratory. The sun was well above the horizon, and the city went about its normal day to day operations: security, food rations, green house containment, medical supply stock, and other basic survival operations. This day in age, a person did not have complete freedom to choose what he or she wanted to do with their life. Instead, if an individual was found to be good at particular tasks, that was it; the Government would decide where that person would be best suited to work: Unless of course, one was a part of a special family, such as the Hein’s.
______________________________________________________________________________

Families such as the Hein’s (or street named “Elite”) were solely responsible for building and containing the barrier cities. The technology had already existed to provide barrier cities for all human civilizations. But they were not needed until 2055: the year the Earth passed through the planar galaxy once more, causing the remaining alien creatures to become hostile spirits. Unfortunately, the technology should have been implemented well before 2055. To the people living in current day, 2064, nine years felt like so long ago. The cities and designated zones were already predetermined, but the shields and their generators were not activated as fast as they should have been. As a result, only a few barrier cities have been mapped. Each city had to start living on a philosophy of fending for themselves. New York City was so far the largest known barrier city in the United States. Others included: Chicago, the District of Columbia, Atlanta, Los Angeles, and Austin. The state of Florida was practically inhabitable, as it was covered by water. However, one would think New York would be as well. But from what scientists can tell (given the limited resources available), the Oceans didn’t necessarily rise, but Florida slipped into the Atlantic from a recent fault line, and unknown disturbance. The eruption of Yellowstone around 2030 made the center parts of the United States inhabitable. From what New York knows, the above cities mentioned are the only barrier cities in the United States.

Others were lucky enough to survive in their own homes, and maybe they have somehow figured out how to build their own shield generators, but it is hard to tell. The only other known barrier cities around the world were as follows: 1 in Europe (location unknown), 1 in China (location unknown), 1 in Sydney, and 1 in Brazil (actual coordinates unknown). Access to space flight in advanced spacecraft was possible (especially to attempt to contact other cities, and map the new Earth), but heavily restricted. A spacecraft was practically worth more than all the Gold on the planet. If a pilot flew one, and came into contact with a phantom, it would mean destruction for the person, as well as the craft. Unless one had a very good reason, travel outside the city was extremely restricted.
So, with limited resources, only a few spacecraft, and a handicapped communication grid, the world and its inhabitants were pretty much on their own. Hundreds and hundreds of animal species had died of from the war. Virtually all plant life was destroyed, and much of Earth’s breathable air comes from either what’s left in the atmosphere, along with massive oxygen generators; but these generators were predicted to fail in about 5 more years.

Scientists claim that, without a massive effort to re-populate the Earth with plant life, the Earth would not sustain enough capacity for respiration. The scientists have even set a “kill date”: 2095. In thirty more years, if nothing can be done, life will not be sustainable. To top it all off, the barrier city life support systems were given the following kill dates: Nuclear power generators, 2070 due to depleted Uranium. At this point, the city would move to solar power, but the solar power would not be enough to sustain the shields. So before listing anything further, without the use of nuclear power, 2070 (5 more years) was the kill date New Yorkers set. If they made it to 2095, that in itself, would be a miracle.

In relation to the Hein’s family, Douglas Hein was the son of the man who made the barrier city of New York possible. After Douglas Hein’s father passed away just a few years ago, Doulas has taken it upon himself that he owns almost everything in the city. The Mayor and Government officials themselves do not do enough to restrain his authority. Douglas keeps claiming that his father passed down many secrets to him: where to find fuel, how to perform maintenance on a shield generator, and even training on how to defend and attack the alien phantoms. Whether he really knows these things, or it’s just his dumb luck, the city respected him enough to give into almost all of his demands. But now Douglas had almost full access to project Blue Beam, and there was virtually nothing Dr. Sid and his team could do about it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

The team of six sat around a rather small booth table in the diner two blocks away from the lab. They had already ordered and eaten their food. The menu at the diner was almost first class food, compared to other parts of the city: concentrated orange juice (which was mostly water and artificial flavoring), re-hydrated potatoes, freeze-dried grits, crackers, scrambled imitation eggs (mostly soy), and bacon flavored freeze-dried strips were some of the more popular menu items. After the meal, the team struggled to find grounds for a conversation.

Gray Edwards sat next to Aki Ross. Edward’s hand went up to his forehead, as he tried to think of something to say. “Ugh. Well, ugh. Can you guys believe that guy Douglas? I swear, if his last name was something other than Hein, I would personally give him a fist for a sandwich”.

Ryan Whittaker smiled a bit, and stated in his deep voice, “Gray, I’d like to see that. Maybe you can punch some of the pride and arrogance outta him! Uhh, forgive me Lord. Ha ha.”

Jane joined the conversation. “Well boys, I’m tellin ya! Yous guys might get into trouble for something like that, but I’d say one kick in the nads from a woman…he’ll never want to show his face near us again!”

The group smiled for a bit, all except for Dr. Sid.

“Sid, come on. We may have lost a battle, but we have not lost the war.” Aki said in a comforting voice.

“I know, I know. But I can’t help but feel responsible for what’s taken place today. If I had not called the Mayor about the security breach, maybe, just maybe we would still be in there trying to figure it out”, after a brief pause, Dr. Sid continued, “Listen everyone. Take a look at this”. Dr. Sid pulled out a handheld device on the silver booth table, and brought up a small holographic image of a nearby star system. “From what I can gather here, at least from the data I see, I may be able to pin point a rough location of a nearby galaxy that the Stargate may have opened a portal to. But without access to an extremely powerful satellite image, all I can do is guess. There is no telling where the portal could have opened to…but one thing is for sure. The main computer system is designed to scan the galaxy, and even clusters of galaxies. We may have even found a way to tap into other dimensions.” Then Dr. Sid smiled for a bit, reaching his hand up around the back of his neck: “I’d love to explain the science to you sometime! But that’s not the point”. Dr Sid continued with a serious tone of voice: “In theory, the computer is designed to open a portal IF AND ONLY IF it finds a location, specifically a planet, which is suitable for human survival. If the oxygen levels are too low, it should not open a gateway there: if the location is too cold or hot, same scenario. The only factor the computer does not taken into account in regards to human survivability is a different dimension and/or level of physics. So far as we know, if there is such a thing as different laws and physics in other parts of the universe, it should not affect human survivability, and therefore, would open a portal there.”

There was a brief moment of silence as Dr. Sid finished his explanation. Most of the group still looked a little confused. Then Neil Fleming spoke up shortly after, “Um, what I think Sid is trying to say in a nutshell, is that because the portal was activated, it is almost guaranteed that it led to a part of the universe where a human could survive, at least for a respectable amount of time.”

“Precisely” Dr. Sid confirmed. “Which really worries me, because whoever breached the room, managed to get past security, stall the cameras, access the security software, and hone in on a habitable part of the universe…which makes me want to give up, because I have yet to figure out how to lock onto a location, let alone find one. Last but certainly not least, I do fear Douglas has something to do with it…but until we have undeniable proof, nothing can be done. He is too powerful a figure in this city.”

“So we’re just going to stand by and do nothing?” Jane asked frustratingly.

Dr. Sid was about to speak up, but Aki spoke first: “Jane, we are going to do everything we can. For now, we all need to be on our guard. And I think it would be best if we…”

Aki was interrupted by an intercom message from Sid’s mobile device. “*static*…Sid…*static*, Sid this is the commander of the South SWOT team…*static*…if Mr. Fleming is there, we need him back at the lab…and only him, so these Blue Beam computers can be shut down. *static* I have orders from the Mayor and Douglas Hein himself. Over”.

“This is Sid, over. I request permission to assist Mr. Fleming in the shut down. It takes more than one to properly shut down the computers. If you would be so kind as to…”

“Negative. *static* Hein specifically mentioned that if you asked to assist, permission would not be granted. Fleming is perfectly capable of shutting the machines down himself *static*, if he needs help, Hein will contact you. *static* Edwards, Whittaker, and Proudfoot…you are to report to me immediately for a training operation. Aki, you will assist Doctor Sid back at the research laboratory. Except for Fleming, none of you are required to take immediate action. Fleming, you are to report to the facility in 30 minutes. Confirm orders..*static*”

“Orders confirmed Sir” Neil said with slight hesitation.

After Neil spoke, the transmission was terminated. The team started to finish up what was left of their drinks and plates, and proceeded to get up and leave the diner. No one said much, except for a few glances and short sentences. Dr. Sid put his hand on Neil’s shoulder and looked him straight in the eye.

“Neil…I want you to go to the lab just like Hein and the commander has ordered. Shut down those computers, just like I told you. But don’t cut off the main power. If you do, as you know, it could jeopardize the entire project. But if anything happens…if Hein tries to use the machine, enter the following code into the computer: STARGATE911. This will put the machine into immediate shut down, supposedly, but it will also notify me that something is wrong. Of course, you already know this, but just keep it on your mind.”

“I will.” Said Neil, “and I will do my best. I just hope it goes as planned....if we can even call it a plan.”

The team said a few other words to each other, and then departed. As the team walked out into the narrow streets of the barrier city, it was considerably darker than usual. How could they have missed it? A solar eclipse had appeared out of nowhere, at least unpredicted by Dr. Sid and the astronomers in the city.

Neil himself had very little time to think much of it. Walking back to the lab was his main mission. Instead of gazing toward the sky, his mind was focused on getting to the lab. As Neil reached the main glass and steel doors of the 5 story Stargate and Research building, the sky became almost as dark as night; except for a small halo from the eclipse. The decrease in sunlight caused the barrier shield over the city to illuminate its orange glow just as it would at night. Neil stepped inside, as the door slowly shut behind him.
______________________________________________________________________________

After security checkpoints, and walking down many halls, Neil finally reached the center of the building. He stood in front of the huge security door, once again laughing on the inside at the two glass windows on either side. That thought ran through everyone’s mind. The security door was just overdone: if not that, then the viewing windows needed to be heavily reinforced.
The hall was quiet. There wasn’t a soul around or anywhere outside the room to the Stargate. Neil waited for about three minutes, thinking that the entire situation isn’t a great idea. After deciding enough was enough, Neil attempts to open the security door. He first places his hand on the hand scanner. The computer scanner turns red. “ACCESS DENIED”.
Neil thinks to himself: Wow. They cancelled our clearance within a matter of hours. They sure were quick to terminate our access. I wonder if Hein knows I’m already here.

Just then, Neil could hear footsteps coming down the white, marble floored hallway. It was Douglas Hein. Without saying a word, Douglas reached Neil, and opened the security door by simple card access. When the door cracked open, Neil waited for a response from Hein. Hein simply glanced over at Neil, and hand motioned him to step inside. Neil felt uneasy, but stepped inside anyway.

Here they were again: back in the dark Stargate room, lit by the amber computer components and touch screen monitors. The door closed behind them. Hein locked the door using a second card key that controlled the electronic magnets. Hein then glanced back at Neil.

“Well, go on then. Start shutting down the computers. Just do your thing, and I will make sure things run smoothly.”

Neil didn't say a word. He walks to the center of the room, then up to the Stargate platform. Neil checks to make sure everything is in proper order for a half shutdown. He steps of the three step platform, and heads to the center of the room once more. This time, Neil sits down in the main metal chair, cushioned with a memory foam fabric. He cracks his knuckles and begins to type some codes into the computer. Before Neil initiates the shut down, he activates the Obtainium fuel cells.

Activating the fuel cells was necessary for a shut down, because it was the only way to spend any amount of extra fuel left in the firing cells; the fuel system consisted of fuel cells, and firing cells. It was standard procedure to activate the fuel cells for long term fuel storage, and then the fuel system and computer system could be shut down from there. Neil wasn’t sure if any fuel was left in the firing cells: but since the security incident, it was better to not leave that to chance. Leaving Obtainium in the firing cell for an extended period could create a “meltdown”: similar to a nuclear type meltdown, but much, much worse.
Neil activates the fuel system, and activation lights became visible from the fuel system overhead, attached to the main ceiling.

“Ok Douglas. Everything is set to go…once the computer confirms depletion of any fuel left in the firing cells, I will initiate a few more tasks, and then the final code for a half shutdown. It will then take 24 hours for the computer to shut down completely. I am going to go ahead and enter the shutdown code…”

Hein quickly raises his voice, while slowly walking over behind Neil. “THAT….WON’T BE NECESSARY, Mr. Fleming.” Neil freezes up, his hands still on the computer keys. Hein continues, this time directly standing behind Neil, with his hand reaching for some sort of device.

“...You see Neil, when I used this machine the first time to travel to another world, everything was set in place! You should have seen the world I visited!” He pats Neil on the shoulder a few times. “It was truly a grand world. I was only there for a few minutes, but I learned that their world was a lot like ours was 50 years ago!”

Neil, shocked of what he was hearing, tried to distract Douglas “So, ugh, why didn’t you just tell us you wanted to use it? We don’t…don’t even know how to properly activate it, but you do!”

Neil begins to type a code in the computer while trying to distract Fleming: S-T-A-R-G-A-T-E-9-1
Hein pulls out a stun gun, and presses it against Neil, pulling the trigger. Neil instantly freezes up, his hands separating from the main keyboard, as he starts to lose all muscle movement. Neil's facial expression froze.

Hein grins. “Heh, nice try Mr. Fleming. But you didn’t even let me finish my story!” Hein’s tone of voice starts to sound menacing and psychotic. “Oh, what a wonderful world I visited. It was a lot like Earth! I believe they called their country, the Osean Federation, or something. Well, Mr. Fleming, I have a lot of business to attend to. And judging by what I can calculate, I can be gone just 5 minutes, but spend years over at other worlds. IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITES! Imagine the chance to save our own world, by visiting others. I simply think it might take more than just a silly diplomatic approach. We have 5 years left Mr. Fleming, 5 YEARS. I AM NOT going to leave the future of our world in the hands of our pathetic government. It’s too bad you couldn’t activate the Stargate. Perhaps it would have been easier for you, if I hadn’t planted a kill virus in the system from day 1, granting me the only access.”

Neil wanted to respond, but couldn’t. The stun gun had temporarily impaired his muscle movement, and speech. Hein then began to wrap up his conversation. He stepped over to the wrist control device, and fastened it to his wrist. He then walked back over to Neil and the main computer, and uttered a final statement:

“Well Mr. Fleming, I have you to thank for this! Thank you for showing me how to reactivate the firing cells. I swear, all these computer codes and languages can give me a headache. Well, I guess I best be going soon. And don’t worry, by the time I am back, that stun of yours should just about be wearing off. Maybe I can convince you to see my side, to see why I must do this. You will see...you will all see. The only way we can save our own world, is if we take over another, and inhabit it ourselves. Good day Mr. Fleming! See you in 5!”

Hein activated the main Stargate firing switch, located on the right side of the main computer system. With just one press of a button, and a computer calculated equation, the empty center of the Stargate ring began to spark with what looked like blue lighting. The amber glow of the computer machines around the Stargate intensified, and the room filled with an abundance of sound waves and static noise. In ten seconds, the Stargate began to spark rapidly, until finally emitting a constant beam of blue light. The once dark circle of the center or the Stargate was now a swirling vortex of blue electric energy. The energy was light blue around the edges of the machine, and black at the very center. The energy spun around like any other vortex would, and white and blue lighting sparks began to spark even more. The overhead support system began to shake, as the Stargate was now at full operation. The Obtainium fuel started to deplete rapidly.

The computer then honed in on a signal “SYSTEM-READY. STARGATE-ACTIVATED. SYSTEM AT CRITICAL MASS”

Neil could only watch, as Hein slowly stepped onto the platform. Hein stepped over the power wires to the Stargate, and was soon feet away from the blue vortex itself. Hein turned back to look at Neil, and gave one last final solute. Then, Hein stepped into the portal, with the wrist gadget glowing and activated. As soon as the computer detected that Hein stepped through, it shut the portal down. The vortex collapse from the outside in, and vanished.

The computer then initiated another message. “STARGATE TRANSFER COMPLETE. FUEL LEVELS at 45%.” The female computer voice then paused for a moment, before initiating another statement. “…..WARNING. ERROR OCCURRED. LAST KNOWN POINT OF ORIGIN UNKNOWN. DETECTING ANOTHER LOCATION ……………….LOCATION FOUND. TRANSFER COMPLETE. CHECKING SYSTEM OPERATION”.

The computer went on, and Neil began to drown out the statements as he started to gain feeling back in his fingers. The computer screen still had the emergency code almost fully typed. S-T-A-R-G-A-T-E-9-1. Neil managed to enter 1 as the last digit. As a last effort, Neil used the rest of his strength to activate the security code. He pressed the enter key.

The computer came over the intercom again “SECURITY CODE CONFIRMED. SECRUITY BREACH.”
The alarm sounded, and Neil fainted: collapsing out of his chair unto the floor.