• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 9,273 Views, 371 Comments

Azure Memories - Silvak



A unicorn wakes up in Ponyville, with no memories beyond her own name as she starts a brand new life from scratch.

  • ...
16
 371
 9,273

Chapter VI: Suspicions

The light of a new dawn filtered through the windows of Sapphire’s room, the light landing on her face, causing her to stir as the sunlight disturbed her sleep. Cracking open her eyes, she hissed as the sunlight entered inside as she raised a foreleg to shield her eyes from the sun’s rays. Letting out a yawn, she dragged herself out of bed, rubbing the side of her head as she continued to wake up. Walking by the door, she levitated one of the books that were stacked nearby the door before heading down to the kitchen. Mumbling gibberish to herself, she took a seat on the kitchen table, spotting Rarity as she was cooking breakfast before opening the book to continue her studies.

After a while, Rarity noticed that Sapphire has entered the room, looking at her as she said, “Oh, good morning Sapphire. In the mood for some pancakes for breakfast?” Sapphire simply nodded for her reply as she rubbed her eyes to wake them up further. “You really need a break from your studies dear, you’re starting to remind me of Twilight with her own dedication to her books,” Rarity commented. Only three days had passed since the gala ticket affair occurred, but Sapphire had chosen to spend each day improving her reading skills. She had advanced far enough to be able to easily read single syllable words; while standing in as a model for Rarity for any orders that required a lithe frame like hers. Sapphire still wanted to pay Rarity back in some way for her generosity.

Looking out the window, she spotted a pair of pegasi flying through the sky, the armor they were wearing revealed them to be members of the Royal Guard. “It’s still odd that the Royal Guard is still out there, any idea what they’ve been going around for Rarity?” Sapphire asked.Right after the gala ticket affair, there had been Royal Guard patrols at the outskirts of the town. Sapphire found out about them after asking Rarity who they were of course.

“Oh, it must be nothing important dear, nothing for you to worry about,” Rarity answered, even though she had an idea on the purpose for their presence. Sapphire simply shrugged as she returned her attention to her book, until Rarity finished with the pancakes, placing their plates on the table. Rarity smiled as she watched Sapphire eating more slowly, her dining etiquette having improved from Rarity’s lessons as well as her habit changed from her previous gorging to more reserve eating habits. She had gotten used to regular meals, though her lithe figure had not changed at all.

Finishing her meal, Sapphire closed her book before she headed upstairs, returning with the rest of the books as she gathered them together into a stack, saying “I’m going to give Twilight a visit Rarity. It’s time for me to return these books for ones of the next level. Can’t stick to foal level forever,” as she gave Rarity a comical smile.

Shaking her head in amusement, Rarity just smiled back as she replied, “Alright dear, but please do come back after lunch time, I need you to model again for the finishes touches on that dress from yesterday.” Giving Rarity a knowing nod, Sapphire headed out the front door, her magic keeping the books in tow behind her.

As Sapphire walked through town, she noticed a few of the ponies that were wandering around in the morning spotting her and giving her a friendly wave that she returned in kind. Rarity wasn’t joking that Ponyville is a friendly town. Everyone is so pleasant to me since I first came here, she thought to herself as she reached the library. After knocking on the door, she waited patiently until the door opened to reveal Spike, to which she said, "Morning Spike, I’m just here to return the books Twilight lent to me, mind letting me in?”

Giving Sapphire a nod, Spike replied, “Sure, but let me get Twilight first, she needs to talk to you about… something,” before he closed the door, to which Sapphire tilted her head in curiosity as she wondered what Twilight needed to talk to her about. Moments later, the door opened to reveal Twilight, who was bearing her usually wide smile.

“Good morning Sapphire, I’m surprised that you’re done with your studies already. I’m pleased that you have dedicated yourself to learning how to read,” Twilight said as she stepped aside to let Sapphire in.

“Oh, just wanted to catch up with other ponies, don’t want to know less than a young foal would, right?” she said as she came in. “By the way Twilight, is something wrong? Your smile… looks off for some reason,” Sapphire stated as she placed the stack of books to one side.

“No! Nothing is wrong! I mean… I’m just surprised to see you finish those books so early,” Twilight said, giving a forced laugh as she closed the door, her eyes occasionally darting to the stairs.

“Are you sure? You seem to be acting weird right now, and Spike did say you had something to talk to me about. Is something the matter?” Sapphire asked, a look of suspicion appearing on her face.

Just as Twilight opened her mouth, a mysterious voice from the stairs was heard, saying, “There is a matter that does need to be discussed, but it’s not Twilight who needs to talk to you.” Turning around, Sapphire’s jaw dropped as she beheld the sight of the largest pony she had ever seen in her life. At the top of the stairs stood Princess Celestia, who was looking upon Sapphire with a neutral expression. Sapphire returned it with a wide eyed one as Celestia slowly descended the stairs. As Twilight watched the two, her eyes nervously shifting between Sapphire and her teacher.

As Celestia descended the stairs, Sapphire continued the wide eyed stare, unable to say something as her brain completely shut down from the alicorn in front of her. Continuing her gaze, Celestia waited for Sapphire to respond. Instead, moments passed with not a single word being said, only the sound of Twilight occasionally shuffling her hooves. Finally, Celestia raised an eyebrow as she asked, “I believe you’re Sapphire Rain, correct?”

Even though she heard the question, her brain failed to process it. Instead, she finally broke her silence by saying the first thing that came to her mind. “You have… enormous wings…” she dumbly responded.

“Sapphire!!!” Twilight shrieked in shock, unable to believe that Sapphire would so mindlessly say such a thing, while Celestia held back an urge to smile at the unexpected comment. Instead, she reached out with a hoof, nudging Sapphire’s shoulder, causing her to break out of her stupor.

“Sorry! I didn’t mean to say that! I was just… awestruck by your appearance Princess Celestia,” Sapphire said in a hurry as she gave Celestia a bow. “As to your question princess, you are correct, I am indeed Sapphire Rain. What is it that you need to talk to me about princess?”

“I’ve gotten word that you were found outside of Ponyville with a head injury that has robbed you of your memories. While that is a sad occurrence for anypony, the matter of you not having records has given me suspicion…” Celestia explained.

“It does?” Sapphire replied, tilting her head in utter confusion which caused Celestia to begin to doubt her suspicions.

“It does, for after being given some possible reasonable causes that would lead to your lack of records, I dispatched the Royal Guard to investigate them. Sadly, they turned out to be false in the end, which causes me to question your… situation, Miss Sapphire. Are you certain you have no ‘memories’ that you can recall that could possibly explain your lack of records?” Celestia asked, her tone devoid of any emotion.

“Hmmm… sorry Princess Celestia, I still can’t remember a thing,” Sapphire said, oblivious of the situation she was in while Twilight began to sweat, wondering about what action Celestia was planning to take.

Celestia released a disappointed sigh, as her horn lit up with her golden aura. “Are you certain you have no memories, or any knowledge on how you came to Ponyville?”

“Sorry princess, I wish I remembered something or knew anything that brought me here… but I just have nothing your highness,” Sapphire responded, tilting her head as she wondered why the princess’s horn is alight with her magic.

Celestia simply fixed a piercing gaze upon Sapphire, as if she’s inspecting the unicorn for any hint of flaws. However, within moments, her gaze faltered, before shattering entirely as she took on an expression of confusion, finally settling at a sad expression as she looked upon Sapphire with guilt in her eyes. “Sapphire, I must apologize for my poor behavior, for after hearing about your mysterious appearance as well as not having any plausible explanation for your current situation. I suspected that you were either a spy or a threat to my dear student Twilight and her friends.”

Celestia’s words rendered Sapphire dumbfounded, her head slowly lowering until she was just staring at the ground. She then turned her head away from Celestia in such a manner that her mane was able to hide her face from view. After several moments had passed, Sapphire finally spoke, her voice shocked and broken, “You… you really thought that I… would hurt my friends?”

Lowering her head, Celestia replied, “I didn’t mean to do harm to you, but I have to protect my student and her fri-“

“Even when it could involve a pony that was left with NOTHING?!” Sapphire interrupted, turning her head towards Celestia to reveal the streams of tears running down from her face. “I have no family, no friends that I can turn to, I have no education to help me find a career to support me, even my special talent, which happens to just let me easily manipulate water, means BUCK when there’s pegasi that can do the job faster since they can just move clouds around. Then my friends, ponies who went out of their way to help out a complete stranger, whom welcomed me to Ponyville, offered me a place to stay and even help me to learn how to read, and you think I would have the nerve to bring them harm after all they have done for me?!”

Celestia quietly took Sapphire’s venting, her expression changing to a stoic one until Sapphire has finished her rant. “Sapphire, you must understand that as princess, it is my duty to protect the ponies of Equestria from any threat. Especially to Twilight and her friends, for they are the Elements of Harmony, thus they are important to the safety of Equestria. So, while I understand your plight, I will not let any matters slide that can harm them—” Celestia then stomped a hoof down. “-do you understand, Miss Sapphire?” As Celestia finished her response, she fixed a stern look at Sapphire for her hostile response.

Withering under the glare from the Princess, Sapphire simply backed away, tears still continuing to pour from her eyes as she lowered her head as she looks at the floor once more. “F-f-fine… if I c-could be s-such a th-threat in y-your eyes… th-then I’ll… I’ll…” Sapphire stammered out, until enough was enough for as she turned around, using her magic to open the door as she galloped out of the library.

“Sapphire!” Twilight yelled as Sapphire fled the scene, galloping down the streets past ponies that just looked in shock at her flight, leaving a mutually shocked Twilight and Celestia, neither of which thought that Sapphire would react this strongly. Sapphire continued her gallop, weaving through the crowds until she went past the town limits. Despite leaving the town itself, she kept moving forward till she reached the tree line of the Everfree Forest. Charging into the forest, she kept up her gallop until she finally ran out of breath several minutes later. Gasping for breath, Sapphire looked around, seeing only trees instead of any pursuers that might have been sent after her. She then laid down on the grass, burying her face into her forelegs as she sobbed out her sorrow at the accusation. She continued to weep till one of her ears caught the sounds of a bush rustling, she quickly raised her head, turning it at the direction of the noise. Staring at a bush, she wondered what found her, until she saw a dark figure jumping out of the bush. Her eyes catching the sight of glowing green eyes as the being came at her.