• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 9,272 Views, 371 Comments

Azure Memories - Silvak



A unicorn wakes up in Ponyville, with no memories beyond her own name as she starts a brand new life from scratch.

  • ...
16
 371
 9,272

Chapter XXVI: Arulas

"Welcome back!" Pinkie shouted as she pulled Sapphire off the train and into a tight hug.

"Thank... you... Pin—you're squeezing too tight!" Sapphire croaked out. It was morning in Ponyville when Sapphire finally arrived, only to be greeted by the Elements before she could even get off the train.

"But I missed you so much!" Pinkie cried out, refusing to loosen her grip on Sapphire.

"Umm... sugarcube, maybe you should let Sapphire go, she's startin' to turn purple from the lack of air," Applejack pointed out as Sapphire was weakly pawing at Pinkie's hooves.

"Oppsie," Pinkie replied with an embarrassed smile as she finally released Sapphire, who promptly collapsed to the ground, gasping for air.

"Oh sweet... sweet air... I never thought... I would miss you..." Sapphire uttered out between pants, to the others' amusement.

Stepping towards Sapphire, Rarity aided her in getting back onto her hooves as she asked, "While I'm glad that you're back among us, I have to ask—" before placing her hooves around Sapphire's face to bring it up to her own, "—did you finally become a fashion model like Hoity said you would‽"

Blinking at the question, Sapphire squeaked out, "Yes?" only to be released from Rarity's hooves as she let out a squeal of excitement.

"This is fantastic! Having a fashion model, even if new, would surely bring in more customers and even more important figures like Hoity to the boutique! Wait!" Rarity exclaimed before rushing over to Sapphire, who prevented Rarity from grabbing her face again by using her magic to grab the end of Rarity's tail as she backed away a bit. "Who is your sponsor?"

"Sponsor? Umm... it's Photo Finish?" Sapphire answered, causing Rarity to let out another squeal before she suddenly fainted. "...Is she going to be okay?" Sapphired asked as she poked Rarity's side, as the others bore amused expressions.

"I reckon she couldn't handle the excitement of all this, especially since she is into the fashion world and all," Applejack replied, before lifting Rarity with one of her forelegs and depositing her on her back. "I'll be takin' her back to the boutique, but congratulations on getting the job," Applejack continued before she took her leave, as the others congratulated Sapphire.

Flying down to land next to Sapphire, Rainbow said, "Since fashion models are famous and well-paid, maybe you could share your new found wealth with the rest of us?" as she rubbed an elbow into Sapphire's side.

"Rainbow! You shouldn't be asking Sapphire for money just because she's our friend!" Twilight reprimanded, only for Rainbow to let out a laugh.

"Come on, Twilight, do you really think I would honestly do that to one of my friends?" Rainbow shot back with a smirk.

As Twilight gave Rainbow a flat stare for her prank, Sapphire prodded her shoulder, getting her attention as she asked, "Hey, Twilight, I need to ask you something."

"Oh? What is it? Is it something related to your memories?" Twilight replied, causing Sapphire to blink at her prediction.

"Umm... yes it is..." Sapphire started to say, before noticing Twilight's expression taking on an excited look. This caused Sapphire to frown as she continued, "You're hoping for more mysterious memories from me, aren't you?"

Letting out an awkward laugh, Twilight answered, "Well... after that odd memory you had before, I couldn't help but be curious if you had something else to add to that."

"Jeeze Twilight, you got on my case for wanting some bits from Sapphire but you're already trying to milk her for some 'long lost knowledge’," Rainbow commented.

Before Twilight could reply with a retort, Sapphire interjected, "I might have to agree with you on that, if what I have to ask would justify Twilight's suspicions," causing Twilight to grow more excited as the other three took on a curious look as well. Clearing her throat as she eyed the group, she continued, "Last night, when Luna was helping me recover another memory, a rather small one was simply a pony saying the name, 'Arulas'. Luna thought that name was familiar, yet she couldn't recall where she had heard it from. She figured that it may be related to history... and that you would... know..." before trailing off at the sight of Twilight's massive grin.

"She's right, I do know that name," Twilight exclaimed with excitement. "In fact, it might be an important clue to finding your family if I remember it right. Quick, let's go to the library, I think I have a book about it lying somewhere," Twilight continued before casting a spell that Sapphire recognized.

"Wait a minute, don't tele—" Sapphire tried to shriek before Twilight finished her spell, teleporting them out of the area. The other three left behind looked at each other in confusion.

"Did Twilight just... ditch us?" Rainbow asked while scratching the side of her head with a hoof.

"I don't think she meant to." Fluttershy answered, though she was still confused about it all. Pinkie just gave it a shrug before bouncing off, the others following her cue as they returned to their own business.


"Twilight... please don't do that again..."

"I'm so so sorry Sapphire, I was just so excited that I forgot about what teleporting does to you."

"But hey, you're getting used to it at least," Spike commented as he brought a bucket to Sapphire, whose face was currently green instead of the usual sky blue.

"Thanks," Sapphire replied, her voice laced with sarcasm before putting a hoof to her mouth as she fought to keep her breakfast in her stomach. After succeeding in her endeavor, Sapphire turned her head towards Twilight as she said, "Twilight, how about you go get that book you mentioned while I try to recover from the teleport." Nodding, Twilight was about to make a reply when she saw Sapphire putting her hoof over her mouth as her cheeks bulged out a bit, causing Twilight to search for the book instead of giving a response.

Giving Sapphire a look of disgust as her cheeks returned to normal, Spike said, "Wouldn't it be better to just let it out?"

"That would be wasting my breakfast than," Sapphire replied, before groaning in discomfort as Spike gave her a bewildered look before shaking his head at her.

A few minutes later, with Sapphire looking a bit less green, Twilight returned with a book. She set it down on a table as she said, "Here we go. Ancient myths and legends of Equus."

Eyeing the book with skepticism as she start to forget about her nausea, Sapphire asked, "Really? This is where you found that name?"

Not noticing Sapphire's skeptic look, Twilight nodded as she answered, "Yes, though this is more of a surprise than your green sky memory. Give me a moment to find the part that involves Arulas," as she opened the book, rapidly flipping the pages before coming to a stop. "Aha! Here we are, 'The Disappearance of Arulas'."

"Disappearance of Arulas?" Spike and Sapphire both repeated in surprise.

"That's what the title says, but let me read you the entire thing," Twilight replied before clearing her throat.

"Long ago, long before the nation of Equestria was founded, before the time of the three tribes and the wendigos, there once lived four sisters. Wenjutas, Trinakas, Selunas, and Arulas. These four sisters were very close, sharing a powerful bond of love. However, when the four sisters came of age, they developed a great wanderlust that compelled them to go out to the world and explore. But, due to their great bond with one another, they decided to make a promise that they will return to the place of their youth every year. There, they would share the stories of their travels and enjoy being together as a family once more. With their promise made, the four sisters went their separate ways, following the path their hearts urged them to follow.

Years passed by, with each sister holding true to their promise. Though in their travels they met many other ponies, as well as members of the other races. Some of them were entranced by the same wanderlust the sisters had, choosing to join them on their travels, even returning with the sisters to their home. Eventually, the sisters found their true loves, forming families that embraced the sisters’ wandering ways. As time passed on, with the sisters' own traveling bands growing larger and larger, this developed bonds between all the races of Equus, bringing friendship across the land.

Sadly, one day, when the sisters returned to their home, they discovered that one of their own was missing. The missing sister was Arulas, whose own group didn't appear as well, not a single message sent to any of the other sisters to explain their disappearance. Worried, the other sisters decided to go on the search for the lost sister, their groups spreading across the land for the search. Unfortunately, no sign of Arulas nor her followers were discovered, like they simply disappeared off the face of Equus. As time passed by, the sisters followers began to accuse one another's own races, believing that one of them were the cause for the disappearances. Eventually, their bonds shattered as the followers banded with their races or tribes, going on their own ways, which lead to the friendship that prevailed throughout the land to wither away.

However, the sisters and their families didn't fall into the same infighting like their followers. Instead, they believe that there must be something that existed that was the reason behind Arulas's disappearance. Hence, they and their families continued on their journey to find Arulas or the cause of her disappearance, a search that was passed down from generation to generation, as the sisters' desire passed onto their descendants. It is said that the descendants of the three sisters continued on with their quest, determined to find the answers they were searching for."

At the end of the tale, Twilight looked at her audience. Spike was saddened by the legend. However, Sapphire held an emotionless expression as she asked, "Okay... but how is that related to me and my family?"

"It's quite simple, Sapphire. The tale of Arulas isn't a well-known story. In fact, the only way a pony would find out about the story is if they came across the books that held the tale. Yet, it appears that somepony you knew had the knowledge of that tale. If your family is a bunch of wild ponies as we suspected, then the only reason they would know of the tale is that they are descendants of the other three sisters. Thus, we could speculate that if we find somepony that is continuing on the search, they could be part of your family or at least may know a way to find your family!" Twilight explained, causing Sapphire's eyes to brighten up at the revelation.

"But wait, just how old is that story?" Spike interjected.

Looking down at the tale, Twilight answered, "According to the book, the tale was written around... six thousand years ago..."

"Which means that most of the descendants have already moved on by now..." Sapphire added as her ears drooped. "Another dead end..."

"Well, look at it this way Sapphire. If your family was still searching for Arulas after all this time, then surely they would look for you too," Spike said, causing Sapphire to raise her ears up.

"He's right. If anything, your family will be even more driven to search the ends of Equestria for you. It won't be long before we get into contact with them, especially with you becoming famous soon," Twilight added, causing Sapphire to smile at her words.

"I... I just have to wait. They will find me, and I will find out who I am and what happened to me. I will regain all I lost, including my family."


"It is good that you haven't lost hope in finding your family after learning about this tale of Arulas, though I wish I could do more than aid you in recovering your memories. Alas, I must make our leave, though I will pass this information to my sister, for she might have the means to locating the remaining descendants of the three sisters," Luna declared before disappearing from Sapphire's dreamscape. Shortly after bidding Twilight a goodbye, Sapphire returned to the Boutique. There, she once again had to deal with an ecstatic Rarity. Thankfully, it didn't take long to calm her down, though Rarity was excited about the possibility of Photo Finish coming to Ponyville one day, which would give her an opportunity to get a photo shoot at her boutique. Afterwards, learning that Sapphire was going to receive a large amount of bits in the mail, Rarity informed her that she may be able to get her own house. However, she would need to have a mortgage that she would be able to pay off within a few months if her pay continued to be as large as her first payment.

With Luna's departure, Sapphire shifted her surroundings to the boutique, letting out a relieved sigh as she reflected on the fact that things were finally turning around for her. That is, until she felt an odd disturbance from behind her. Turning her head around as fear crept into her heart, she was greeted with nothing but an empty boutique.

"Heh... I shouldn't freak out about some odd feeling, since this is a dream after all," Sapphire said to herself with a chuckle as she twisted her head around, only to be shocked by the sight of a massive head, its head resembling some kind of draconic monster. It had a blackish green colored skin and dark, glowing eyes. It’s maw slightly opened as green smoke poured out of it. Frozen in fright, Sapphire simply stared at the creature until it took a deep breathe before releasing a roar at her, causing her to scream in horror before her dream shattered.


Waking up from her dream, Sapphire sat straight up on her bed, her eyes widened with horror at what she saw in her dream as her took in several rapid breaths. Looking around her room, she saw no horrors ready to spring up at her. After calming down a bit, Sapphire thought to herself, What the buck was that? And... why... why do I get the feeling that... monster is familiar to me?

Author's Note:

Another unedited chapter, but wait, the story is complete! Why so soon? Find out in the next story where more of Sapphire's past is revealed!

Comments ( 31 )

Nice chapter can't wait for the next story.

First(Now to wait for the hate)

Comment posted by Silent Echo deleted Nov 29th, 2016

What?! You can't end it there! Well, I guess you can, since you just did. I like how you wrap up the story by throwing a whole load of new questions at us. Guess I'll be awaiting the next chapter story.

Umm, this is a bad ending as it's not an ending. This is the story just stopping. It drives me crazy as this doesn't feel like a natural conclusion, it feels like you introduced a plot and said "eh, I'll stop here."

Edit: Ok let me explain: what is the primary plot of this story? The answer is simple, just look at the name. Azure's memories. The problem is the story hasn't resolved that plot completely. Here with this chapter we have begun to finally make further progress with a big part of it but her past is still a large mystery and unresolved. Thus the story is not complete and has just stopped as we seem to be on the precipice of taking further steps to actually resolve the main plot.

7756477 Who's Azure? :rainbowhuh:

7756457 she's a mare. that's a stallion. That means it a guy, not a chick.

7756535
*facepalm* at brain fart about main character's name which is also a shade of blue. Meant Saphire's memories, which doesn't undercut my point other than me being an idiot about that.

If I'm guessing correctly, they'll probably find a couple adamantium bullets just on the inside back of her skull.... ♪♫:rainbowkiss:

In the next story: Azure has a half-sister that wasn't mentioned in the legends who's still out there trying to kill her. :twilightoops:

Such a good story, looking forward to the next one








stayclassy:moustache:

It was a nice enough story, know I'm curious if the Backstory makes her more interessting, or if it is going to end up making her look bad in a way.
Lately I just haven't seen that many good Adventure storys, which is why I don't know if I would be in the mood for something like that.
Otherwise I just hope Saphire is going to keep the control over her own actions and that no sidecharacter is forcing her to follow a certain part all the way.

Sorry I have the habbit of waiting for some bad stuff to happen lately (at least in storys).

However I liked this one.

Another unedited chapter, but wait, the story is complete! Why so soon?

:derpytongue2:

Very interesting story, looking forward for the sequel. :rainbowkiss:

7761303 You have a point with the wat, but in transcripts of the episode she is in, most of her 'W's are still 'W's.

7828153

Oh, and I believe you meant to name him Doctor Hoarse, not Horse (otherwise it would be the single most unimaginative name for a character I have ever heard.

Problem is he's not an oc that I made up to fill the doctor role, so the glory of naming this character belongs to the show staff themselves (or whomever attached that name to that character).

7828907 First, I have an editor, who doesn't lightly touch my work.
Second, give examples, and point out where the problem is. Otherwise, just mentioning that there is a tense issue doesn't help, especially where you pointed at a poor example without saying what is wrong with it.

7828200 So Hasbro came up with that name? :pinkiesick:

7828929 O.k. I'll start listing them with the chapter I'm currently on. Which tense were you trying to stick with? I'm going to assume past tense, until you specify otherwise.

7829074 Now this is constructive criticism. I'll talk it out with my editor, but this kind you don't need to point out anymore for the time being.

7829097 Sorry about being bitchy. I'll try to be more constructive in the future... maybe. :pinkiecrazy:

You A-hole! You leave us with that cliff hanger for the end of the story? Man, I can't wait for the next story!

Man. The despair you feel after finding a great story for the first time, binge reading it, then arriving at the last updated chapter with a cliffhanger... But anyways, this is a nice story, I enjoyed reading it:pinkiehappy:

8723206

At least that a possibility.

Need to read the sequel now to have new theories.

"Long ago, long before the nation of Equestria was founded, before the time of the three tribes and the wendigos, there once lived four sisters. Wenjutas, Trinakas, Selunas, and Arulas. These four sisters were very close, sharing a powerful bond of love. However, when the four sisters came of age, they developed a great wanderlust that compelled them to go out to the world and explore. But, due to their great bond with one another, they decided to make a promise that they will return to the place of their youth every year. There, they would share the stories of their travels and enjoy being together as a family once more. With their promise made, the four sisters went their separate ways, following the path their hearts urged them to follow.

Ahahahah!!!! She’s Arulas!!! The sister’s might each have control over an element!! This is awesome!!!

8752786
It's an idea and I don't want that to be totally true because it's too simple. Thought, I will temper myself.
So far we only know for sure that she has a mother, possibly a father and that she act bizarre.

8817189
You mean newer works? If so, I'm glad things improved.

Waking up from her dream, Sapphire sat straight up on her bed, her eyes widened with horror at what she saw in her dream as her took in several rapid breaths. Looking around her room, she saw no horrors ready to spring up at her. After calming down a bit, Sapphire thought to herself, What the buck was that? And... why... why do I get the feeling that... monster is familiar to me?

Uh oh...:twilightoops:.

OK, I can't tell you why, But even though I have had this story on Audio forever now, and have tried listening to it over five different times. For some reason, I never once was able to listen to it without wondering off to something else. There is just something about this story that makes me just loose interest.

Today, however, I listened to it from start to completion. Its only around five and a half hour story, which isn't very long at all for a fimfiction Authored story. And Although I think the pacing was rather slow, over all, This really is a good story and I am now in the process of converting its sequel to an audiobook for tomorrow.

My one suggestion to the Author would be to list its sequel in the story description so the readers know that there is one.

The Monk

“There is no one in the world harder, crueler or more critical, than an introvert looking at themselves.” -Riki

I took a look at the picture.
"What a good design."
I took a better look.
"Though muzzle could be drawn better..."
I took yet another look.
I was attracted to eye.
"This eye... Looks wrong."
I took deep look at the eye.
"This is one hell of scary eye! Just think about how far it budge from the face! How big it is, taking up entire face, from horn to mouth!"
"What a monstrosity!"

9589022
True...she does adore Celestia lot:ajsleepy:.

This story was alright, but not really to my style. I think I'll just stick with the Aether Saga.

Login or register to comment