• Published 26th Feb 2015
  • 9,252 Views, 371 Comments

Azure Memories - Silvak



A unicorn wakes up in Ponyville, with no memories beyond her own name as she starts a brand new life from scratch.

  • ...
16
 371
 9,252

Chapter XXII: Snow

"So... you played in a mud puddle when you were a filly and found it to be... enjoyable."

"I see nothin' wrong in have some old fashion fun in the mud."

"Darling, a mare with a mane and figure like Sapphire's shouldn't be disguising her beauty from the world by being covered in mud."

"That doesn't make a plum lick of sense since we all think that Sapphire and her family were wild ponies. Why worry about what they look like if they weren't goin' to be meeting ponies that often?"

"Applejack, dear, it's a matter of principle," Rarity answered, as Sapphire simply watched the exchange between the two as she ate her daisy sandwich. It had been ten days since the Crusader debacle and her meeting with Luna, and every night, true to her word, Luna showed up to help Sapphire recover a sliver of her memory. It was slow going, but it was better than nothing. It was also no burden to Luna since they now just spend a few minutes in the place they termed the 'memory hall' before she made her leave.Thankfully, after the first night, Luna now pulled Sapphire back to her dreams instead of leaving her in the hall to poke at the mirror shards until she woke up.

Finishing the sandwich, Sapphire picked up another one as she watched the two continue to bicker. Even though they were in a restaurant, with a couple ponies glancing at the two from time to time, they were still stuck arguing. Letting out a sigh, Sapphire said, "Can we please stop arguing about this? I was a young filly at the time, I think. Maybe I was young enough to be amused by anything. So can we just go back to having a friendly lunch?"

After hearing Sapphire's request, the two mares lowered their ears in shame as Rarity replied, "Sorry dear, I didn't mean to cause such a fuss."

"Me too, sugarcube. I reckon it was silly of us to argue over such a small thing," Applejack said while rubbing the back of her head with a hoof.

Smiling, Sapphire gave the two a thankful nod as she started to take a bite from her sandwich, only to slam her teeth shut when she heard a familiar voice crying out, "Sapphire!"

Letting out a sigh, she turned her head towards the voice where she saw Twilight walk up to their table. She soon saw a smile that she had learned all too well in terms of what will happen soon. Cocking an eyebrow, Sapphire asked, "Twilight, can you please let us finish lunch first before asking me for something?"

Frowning, Twilight replied, "How did you know I wanted you for something?"

"Well, you have that smile you give when you're excited about learning something," Sapphire answered while taking a bite from a fresh sandwich.

As Twilight was about to open her mouth to let out a reply, Rarity stopped her in her tracks when she said, "Twilight, darling, it is rude for a lady to interrupt one's meal. How about you take a seat with us and order a meal, my treat."

"Now, Rarity, I don't want to impose on y—"

"Twilight dear, it is no hassle for me to treat you to a mere meal," Rarity countered, before Applejack decided to toss her two bits in.

"She's right, sugarcube. Especially when she's treating Sapphire to a meal too."

Pausing in her consumption of her fourth sandwich, Sapphire frowned as she asked, "What do you mean by that?" only for Applejack to raise an eyebrow at her before pointing a hoof at the six other sandwiches on her plate, causing everypony but Sapphire to giggle at the scene while she just pouted at her companions.


"While I reprimanded Spike for questioning how you're able to eat so much, I myself am starting to wonder how you can consume all that food and not appear to put on a single pound," Twilight commented as she and Sapphire were heading to the outskirts of Ponyville after saying goodbye to Applejack and Rarity.

"What can I say, I just keep eating until I'm full," Sapphire said with a shrug before Twilight came to a stop at a snow covered hill. Looking around at first, Sapphire asked, "So, why are we here?"

"We're here for more exploration into your Cutie Mark!" Twilight exclaimed with a wide smile, which faltered when she saw the deadpanned look Sapphire was giving her.

"Twilight, it's fairly obvious that you're either interested in my memories or my Cutie Mark. I was asking for specifically what you're planning to do at this place of all places," Sapphire declared, while Twilight blushed at how obvious she was towards her.

"Okay, I'll tell you, but you may think it's a bit weird..."


"So, how are you feeling now?"

"I feel like I'm buried up to my neck in snow."

"I mean beyond the obvious."

"I'm freezing," Sapphire replied, an unamused expression on her muzzle as she just stayed where she was, buried in snow as Twilight facehoofed at her response.

"That isn't what I'm looking for. Aren't you feeling some kind of connection to the snow? Like it feels natural?" Twilight asked after removing her hoof from her face.

Raising an eyebrow, Sapphire responded, "Why would I feel something like that?"

"Well, cause your Cutie Mark is related to water manipulation, so I thought that maybe being immersed, or in this covered, in some form of water would make you feel... something other than what you're feeling now," Twilight explained.

"And what made you come up with something like that?" Sapphire asked as she began to shiver.

Blushing again, Twilight let out a half-hearted laugh as she said, "Well... you're not going to believe this, but I once saw a stallion in town that was in a giant jar of jam, and he looked like he enjoyed it immensely, so I thou—" until Sapphire forced her way out of the snow mound she was in before starting a trot towards town. "Sapphire, where are you going?"

"I'm going home to take a nice, hot bath after being buried in all this snow," Sapphire answered as she continued on her way while Twilight started to catch up with her.

"But there is some logic in my id—"

"Twilight, I just find a pony that wants to take a dip in a jam to be weird and a waste of good jam. I know you're wanting to explore my talent for knowledge, and the possibility of helping me remember something, but this is pushing it too far," Sapphire said with a huff.

Ears folded against her head, Twilight replied, "Sorry Sapphire, I guess I shouldn't have thought that if one pony liking to do such an obscure thing, it might be something you might do due to your Cutie Mark. How about you come over to the library for your hot bath and I'll treat you to dinner as an apology?"

Upon hearing the offer of dinner, Sapphire stopped as she answered, "Why, that sounds like a gre—wait a minute. You just wanted to see if being in water would make a difference in comparison to having me in snow," as she narrowed her eyes at Twilight.

Sighing, Twilight replied, "I guess I deserved that, but if I wanted to know about that, I could've asked for how you feel when you're taking... that's just as weird to ask as well." Shaking her head clear of her embarrassment of the situation, Twilight continued, "But I will take this as a lesson to not try anything so bizarre like this again, at least without asking permission first."

Raising an eyebrow in doubt, Sapphire said, "Well, at least something came out of this... 'moment'. Though personally, this is one memory I wouldn't mind forgetting for once."

Her muzzle forming an awkward grin, Twilight replied, "Speaking of memories..."

Letting out a sigh, Sapphire muttered, "Here we go again."


"Why haven't you mentioned that you had a memory of the sky turning green?" Twilight asked as she groaned in exasperation at the thought of such information being kept from her.

"Well, I mentioned it to Rarity but she said I was most likely dreaming. It wasn't until Luna and I found that particular memory that we determined that it wasn't a memory of a dream. Until then, I thought it would be too ridiculous to even mention to you," Sapphire answered as she was munching on her salad. Shortly after arriving at the library, Twilight graciously allowed Sapphire to take a bath before questioning her on her memories. Of course, this was after preparing a rather large bowl of salad for her.

"Well that's understandable, but the implications of you seeing the sky turn green could be enormous! Was it a solid green or was only part of the sky green?" Twilight asked while jotting down a few notes on a scroll.

"I can't really say, I could only remember what was said, no visual memories. Though for some reason, my mother wanted me to stay quiet, and that she would tell me why the sky was turning green when I was older," Sapphire replied with a shrug.

"Hmm... that indicates that you didn't eat a plant that contained some kind of hallucinogen," Twilight muttered as she pulled a few books off the bookcases, flipping the pages while Sapphire took this as an opportunity to stuff her face with some of her salad. "Out of all the colors the sky could change to due to the the sun setting, there hasn't been any records of the sky turning green... unless," Twilight continued until she pulled out yet another book. "Aha! There are records of the sky turning into different colors that couldn't be achieved under normal circumstances! The cause of it was... Discord," Twilight declared before looking at Sapphire with a befuddled look.

"Discord? Who's that?" Sapphire asked through a mouthful of salad.

"Wait, how can yo—oh wait, you're lack of a proper education, sorry," Twilight replied as Sapphire gave her a flat stare. Clearing her throat, she continued, "Discord was the Spirit of Disharmony, a draconequus with the powers to alter reality."

"Wait, a being that can alter reality? Like, he could make it rain food?" Sapphire asked, to which Twilight just gave her a deadpanned expression in response. "Hey, I can't help but think about food when I'm hungry."

Sighing, Twilight responded, "Well, he could do that, but instead he turned all of Equestria into a land of utter chaos. It wasn't until the two sisters used the Elements of Harmony to seal him in stone, thus restoring order to the land."

"Interesting, but how does this relate to me exactly?"

"Well... Discord's defeat occurred over a thousand years ago... and he's the only known cause of the sky taking on an unusual color," Twilight slowly replied, causing Sapphire to blink in confusion.

"Umm... I know my past is a mystery, but I highly doubt I'm over a thousand years old..." Sapphire cautiously said, to which Twilight gave a nod to.

"Yes... it wouldn't make sense for you to be that old unless you were an alicorn... and since your past points to you possibly being a wild pony... it could mean that your family came across some lost magical ruins or artifact that could change the color of the sky!" Twilight exclaimed, slamming her hooves down on the table in excitement.

Giving an awkward smile to Twilight, Sapphire thought to herself, Great! Now she's going to be even more crazy about my memories than before!