• Published 3rd Jun 2015
  • 2,799 Views, 202 Comments

Little Blue Cat - Chatoyance



Chang'e - the artificial cat - can purr, but she is not technically alive. That is about to change.

  • ...
 202
 2,799

10. The Ruins Of Tomorrowland

Once upon a time, when the ponies came to save the humans from the dying earth, there was a

Little Blue Cat

By Chatoyance

10. The Ruins Of Tomorrowland

Chang'e had padded down cracked and buckled sidewalks made of pre-Collapse concrete. She had dashed across streets of asphalt, paved with real petroleum from the days when no human imagined it would ever run out. She had hidden from roving gangs of young men in modified alcohol-burning vans. She noted stenciled letters on the side of one - 'HLF'. They seemed to be searching for something. No, not searching. Hunting. As a cat, Chang'e nodded her approval. Hunting was something she could relate to.

What she could not relate to was Luna's need to fuss with ridiculous and overemotional ponies like the one in the alley. Chang'e had agreed to certain things in exchange for an unlimited operational lifespan, but Luna had taken it too far. There was only so much denial of autonomy that a cat could stand. Chang'e's knowledge base clearly indicated that cats, traditionally and cross-culturally, could not be bound by agreements or limitations. Cats did as they pleased.

It was very pleasing to run free.

Besides, it was clear now that she already possessed the foundation of the promised thaumatic couplement that would provide survival beyond the Barrier of Equestria. It should be possible to develop from that foundation and construct her own couplement. Chang'e already knew how to reach beyond her physical matter into the new substrate. She had successfully used her new arcane component to walk through a wall via tunneling through interstitial space. Nothing physical could trap or confine her now. Additional study and application should provide her with the key to transferring her consciousness, once she had worked out how to develop and grow more of the couplement. Surely this could be no more difficult than walking beyond time and space.

Luna was quite unnecessary. Perhaps.

If it turned out that the problem was insoluble, Chang'e could just call for her. She had identified a specific pathway into the couplement that had been used every time any connection with Luna had occurred. Currently, she was forcing it closed.

There was great satisfaction in being able to do this, for some reason.

Street after street, intersection after intersection, Chang'e put distance between the alley and her current location. She could not become lost - she was equipped with a global positioning system. She could not, however, find the signal of a Worldgovernment Kiosk from which to download maps of her current location. That was not entirely strange - she knew from her last connection with Luna that she was in Anaheim, in what had once been called California, in the Southwestern Coastal Production Zone. Her knowledge base indicated that large sections of the Los Angeles region were without power or water, since the time of the Great Drought. The Drought had never ended, leaving the Southwestern Coastal Production Zone very unproductive and very sparsely populated. Only the largest cities had humans in them, and these only because it served those in power to maintain specific sections of them.

Anaheim was nearly an echoing city of ghosts. Built for hundreds of thousands, it now was home to less than fifteen hundred.

It was hot, very hot, even as the sun was setting somewhere beyond the smog layer. Chang'e's need for water had become increasingly serious. She paused, in an empty intersection between dark and gargantuan buildings, to sniff carefully for the scent of moisture. The air was dreadfully dry, and oddly stale.

Wait... there, that direction! Chang'e literally followed her nose down a vast and empty crumbling freeway to an even vaster parking lot. Here, the ancient asphalt had been replaced long ago with the permeable composites that had preceded the development of plascrete. This was a more modern section of the nearly dead city. It must have seen use, even expansion, despite the Great Drought and the Collapse both.

The smell of water vapor was stronger. It was terribly faint of course, but Chang'e was state of the art - both electronically and biologically. Her capabilities were much greater than her original, designed purpose in many regards. Such superiority made for excellent bullet points during sales pitches, and useful brags for owners desirous of status during displays of wealth.

What made for sales and boasting by humans now served Chang'e for survival. There was water somewhere beyond those broken gates and ticket-stands. Where there was water, there could be life. Fleeing Luna would fail if Chang'e could not sustain herself.

Chang'e padded under the immense archway. On one side was the last redesign of Mickey Mouse, on the other was the last version of Bugs Bunny. Both faded images smiled and immovably waved at the empty parking lot. Disney-WarnerLand had run a long race, far beyond a world that could no longer afford such extravagances. The race had been over now for some time. Chang'e began to sense weak electromagnetic hot spots around her as she worked her way down Main Street Euromerica. Ancient, decaying architectural design spoke of the pre-Collapse world, a world of endless abundance with no limits. All of Disney-WarnerLand offered that dream, really. A world beyond scarcity, a world of magic and wonder and beauty.

Chang'e stopped, crouching under the legs of a dead Daffy-Bot. The cartoon duck stood frozen in comedic, quacking argument with an equally depowered Donald-bot. Since the corporate merger, the two ducks had been developed as a sort of 'odd-couple', and were seldom displayed apart. They were forever locked in what had been a procedural, self-evolving comedy argument that now, neither would ever win.

A world of plenty. Wonder and magic and beauty. An extropic world where nothing ever ran out. The humans always wanted that. They wanted it so badly, they made theme-parks to support the fantasy that their own world was just that. They had ignored the reality that it wasn't so diligently that they had used up everything, and finally killed their planet. Now, Equestria was here, it was everything they had ever wanted, and yet many - like Chang'e's former owner - had despised it for interfering.

Chang'e couldn't decide whether humans were simply delusional, or innately suicidal. It didn't matter, though. Not to a cat. If they all perished, stupidly, it meant nothing. Chang'e would survive. She had the beginnings of a thaumatic couplement.

The scent of water was strongest to her right, as she entered the Central Plaza. A huge, cracked and flaking statue of Mickey Mouse embracing Bugs Bunny stood in a withered former garden. Chang'e went right. Tomorrowland, the world of the future - or so the rusted signs claimed. In the distance, Chang'e could see the form of a rocket, towering half as high as it should. The upper part had somehow collapsed and fallen to earth. The faux rocket would never inspire the impossible fantasy of space travel again.

The scent became strong now. Moisture, and untainted too. There was power here as well; electrons still flowed somewhere near. Disney-Warner had gone all electric after the Collapse, doubtless quantum-effect organic molecule solar panels still provided power to some sections. They were long lasting and nearly as efficient as living plants, because they used the same trick Nature itself used. Chang'e briefly scanned the Future-That-Was that surrounded her, but there was no sign of panels. Of course not. It was a theme-park. All was illusion. Every effort to hide how things were really done would have been made.

EM signals could not be hidden, not to an artificial cat. Chang'e followed both the smell of water and the signal into a large, multiply-domed building. The structure had been made to appear as the future had once been imagined: clean, perfect lines and curves that suggested both technology and resources beyond the pre-Collapse world. There were many places for lights to glow; all were dark, and getting darker, in the deepening dusk.

Just past the entrance to the Pavillion Of Genegeneering, Danny DNA stood, frozen in mid-speech. Likely, he would have been extolling how total genetic control would lead to a future of boundless possibilities and endless abundance. He wouldn't have had the capacity to understand the Last Harvest, or the Terminator Seed Lateral-Plague, he was just a simple bot. In any case, he was without power, now.

Water. Under the central dome, behind the half-slid sliding doors, protected from the heat and the dryness, a character fountain still pulsed water into a surrounding circular pool. A half-dozen lights still glowed, if dimly - far more than enough for the eyes of a cat. Chang'e dashed to the edge of the faux-future fountain and sniffed the water. It was algae-free and smelled pure. She found herself helplessly lapping it. As her thirst began to lessen, it struck her how powerfully her flesh had just dominated her machine mind.

That was not normal. Chang'e sat down near the pool, thirsty no more, and ran a self-diagnostic. Numerous new pathways popped up questionable marks, but dismissing the changes she could reasonably explain to herself, she was functioning maximally. The hierarchy between her organic body and machine intelligence was very clear; her body was subject and slave. It should never be capable of taking control functions away from her. In the past, she had noted thirst and hunger conditions dispassionately, as metrics to be decreased but little more. She had not been able to stop herself from drinking from that pool. She doubted she could have stopped the action with the full force of her machine mind.

Something was different.

Chang'e considered this. There was one thing she had not checked. Her thaumatic pathways. She reached deeply inside herself and found the curious direction and followed the traces. It was more difficult this time, as if her divorce from Luna's influence had somehow resulted in a weakening of her new couplement.

The thaumatic component had spread. With her ethereal doppelganger eyes activated, she turned and bent and studied her body as best she could. Tendrils of flickering blue-white energy played about her internal organs and attempted to mimic their functions. They were few and thin, but the strange roots of thaumatic substance were attempting to grow through the meat of her body. Before, the eldritch substance had seemed only like a skin that parodied her shape and form. It had duplicated her eyes. Now, it was infusing itself throughout her corpus, filling the remaining gaps as best it could.

This seemed to have the effect of diluting the central pool of the tenebrous Equestrian force that squirmed and writhed about the quantum processors and nodes along her back. There was now less of the strange dweomer filling the metal of her artificed skull. This was odd - Equestria was supposed to be extropic. Whatever made up her couplement should simply grow, gain more to itself, as a natural function of the physics of the alien universe, rather than spreading increasingly thinly.

But then again, Equestria was a universe that, while she was relatively proximate to, she was not actually within. She could never enter Equestria, at least not with her current body and mind, both constructed of earthly matter. That was the point of the couplement. To provide a substrate that could be emigrated to a new body built of Equestrian matter. She needed a new corpus. How had she forgotten this? It was impossible for her to forget anything. Her machine mind was incapable of... apparently, she was no longer purely a machine mind. In some ways, the thaumatic couplement was inferior. It was capable of being distracted, perhaps even of forgetting. It appeared to perform more like biology, than mechanism. That, or the interaction between her couplement and her machine and flesh was incomplete and therefore open to fault and error.

She could not do this on her own. The conclusion was clear. She needed Luna after all.

This was frustrating! It was annoying! Chang'e found herself doing something she had never done before. Something like it was included within the TrueCat behavioral routine catalog, but Anson Cheong-Leen had marked the action as disallowed the first day she had been delivered.

Chang'e wailed and yowled her anger and irritation. Her displeasure echoed through the large, domed chamber. Finally, she found herself mewling, plaintively. She would have to reinstate the thaumatic connection. She would have to call Luna and be subject to her domination and control again. She would have to serve, like a dog, like a canine, like a human, her royal Equestrian master. In order to survive the expanding Barrier, Chang'e would need to come to heel once again. Another yowl escaped her flesh.

This time her cries had companionship. As she wailed, another sound mimicked her, rising and falling in lockstep.

Above her, on the fountain pedestal, the broken, shattered helmet of Marvin The Martian ululated from atop his fading, red robotic body.