• Published 24th Feb 2015
  • 2,439 Views, 25 Comments

Just a Little Love - Game-BeatX14



Fluttershy finds Soarin alone at the donut shop and decides to converse with him a bit. She soon discovers that he’s been bottling up his feelings of loneliness and mistreatment for a long time.

  • ...
3
 25
 2,439

Lonely

Just a Little Love
By Game-BeatX14

It was getting late in Ponyville, and most of the townsfolk were leaving their places of work to go home. Fluttershy on the other hand, was still out and about around town. Once in a while when her shy isolation grew tiresome, she would explore the town a bit to get out of the house. Just a little.

She noticed that Donut Joe’s pastry shop was still open, and decided to go inside. Joe was tired after a long day, but he still managed to retain his usual cheery demeanor as she approached the counter.

“Hey Fluttershy! What can I get for you?”

“I’ll just have a small blueberry pastry.”

“No problem, coming right up.”

Donut Joe went back into the kitchen and returned with the pastry rather quickly. Fluttershy was glad he still had some left. Usually by this time of night he was out of stock.

“Here ya go, enjoy!” He set the pastry on the counter for her.

“Thanks, Joe. It looks delicious!”

Fluttershy picked up the pastry and trotted over to find a table. There were only two other ponies in the shop; a younger colt and his marefriend sharing a cream filled donut together and chatting. They looked cute together.

Fluttershy took a seat away from them, not wanting to disturb their conversation. At that moment, she noticed there was actually a third pony in the donut shop. Not just any pony, but a lone Wonderbolt. Soarin was slumped over onto the table in the back corner, looking rather tired. It was strange seeing him sitting alone, stripped of his usual uniform. He had a half finished plate of baked goods set aside next to him, seeming uninterested in finishing them.

Fluttershy had only met him once at the Gala, but it was enough to know he was a nice stallion. She decided to take her chances and approach him. She sat down across from him, and he looked up at her rather apathetically.

“Hey Soarin... Umm, I don’t know if you remember me, but we met at the gala once... I just wanted to see how you were doing.”

The drowsy stallion immediately seemed to perk up a bit.

“Oh, hey Fluttershy! I remember you. In fact, I see you and your friends around town all the time. Nice seeing you here.”

Fluttershy smiled, trying to think of how to carry on with the conversation. She decided to go straight to her concern upon seeing him.

“Are you feeling ok, Soarin? I noticed you were just sitting here by yourself...”

“I’m fine. Just having a bite to eat and relaxing a bit. I don’t feel like sitting at home tonight.”

Fluttershy couldn’t help but notice the bags under his eyes looked more pronounced, and his facial expression was lacking energy. She doubted he was really okay, and decided to pursue his feelings a little more.

“Positive?”

“I’m fine, Fluttershy.”

“It really doesn’t seem like it... You looked depressed.”

Soarin sighed deeply, realizing that Fluttershy could sense his unease. Her caring nature was too imbued in her personality to be fooled by a fake smile. There was no point in hiding it.

Maybe it wouldn’t hurt to talk to somepony about it for once.

He took a moment to collect his thoughts.

“Fluttershy, you know how sometimes you can feel alone, even when you’re not?”

“Oh yes, I know that feeling all too well.”

“Here’s the thing... I get lot of adoration from ponies. When I go to stunt shows, the crowd cheers for me during aerial maneuvers. Little fillies and even full grown mares want my autograph afterwards. But something is missing from all that…”

Fluttershy nodded her head, confirming she was following as she took a bit out of her neglected pastry.

“Other ponies tell me that I have no right to feel lonely, that I should be happy with all this attention. And don’t get me wrong, it feels good. But at the end of the day it’s all temporary, foalish adoration.”

Fluttershy nodded again, and Soarin continued.

“Everypony likes the Wonderbolt me, but nopony even bats an eye at the real me. You know, the normal, off duty stallion who likes to do things like play videogames during his time off.”

“Wow, that’s gotta stink. It’s amazing how shallow some ponies can be.”

“It’s more than just some. It’s every pony I meet...” He trailed off painfully, then sighed again.

“Fluttershy, I’ve been in the Wonderbolts for over five years now, and I’ve come to realize that it’s the only reason anybody cares about me at all. Some days I just want to burn that stupid flight uniform and walk away from it all because everything feels so superficial.”

Fluttershy gave him a slightly disapproving look.

“Soarin, what could ever make you think that? You’ve worked your whole life to get this far; being a Wonderbolt is an incredible achievement. I mean, look at me. I’m nearly as old as you and I can barely fly! Don’t you feel proud of yourself at all?”

“I do Fluttershy, it’s just... Ah, forget it. You’ll never understand...”

Fluttershy took slight offense to that.

“I’m perfectly capable of understanding if you can take the time to explain.”

“Don’t make me spell it out… I’m a national icon during the day and go back to my lonely bed at night, because nopony gives a flying feather about me the second I take off that suit. And the few mares who did seem to care about me just wanted to have a famous coltfriend. I remember when I dated some mare a few years back and she would brag to all her friends about how ‘Her coltfriend is in the Wonderbolts, her coltfriend is so famous.’ Bleh. I can’t take it anymore!”

Soarin was starting to look more uptight with every sentence. Fluttershy was surprised by his sudden outpouring of emotions.

“I understand now. I’m sorry, Soarin...”

“Me too. I shouldn’t be venting on you, Fluttershy.”

He felt a pang of regret, and tried to calm down before he continued, still having a bit more left to say. He spoke slowly and wearily.

“It’s… It’s just so hard, having this stressful job, which is physically and mentally exhausting every single day, training endlessly, getting pushed around by teammates who don’t respect me, and never having anypony to go home to. I just need somepony who loves me and can comfort me sometimes, even if it’s just for a little bit...”

Fluttershy took a moment to think of suggestions that might help him.

“How many mares have you dated in the past five years?”

“Three. And none of them were very sincere about their feelings towards me.”

“Have you thought about Spitfire? You two get along so well.”

Soarin sighed, trying to hide his irritation at her oblivious suggestion.

“I can’t be in a relationship with her because she’s my captain. The rules prohibit it.” He remarked impassively.

“Oh...”

“And honestly, even if I could date her, I wouldn’t because she gets on my nerves. It’s like she takes pride in being an alpha-mare and ordering me around. I’m all for strong and decisive mares but she borders on emasculating. She does it to every stallion she interacts with, and I just can’t take that. Not like I have a choice though, because she’s the one holding a paycheck over my head.”

“I’m sorry to hear that. It surprises me somepony with a prestigious rank like hers would be so cruel.”

“She’s cruel, she’s hot-tempered... Spitfire respects me only when I succeed yet takes every other opportunity to bring me down and stomp all over me the second I make a mistake. She doesn’t even realize how she affects other ponies.”

“Don’t worry Soarin; I’m sure you’ll find somepony who really appreciates you someday.”

Their conversation was interrupted as Donut Joe approached the table. Fluttershy suddenly noticed that the other couple had left, and they were the only ones left in the place.

“Sorry to disturb you two, but it’s past closing time. I don’t like to rush customers out, but I’ve got to get home soon.”

“It’s alright Joe; we’ll be on our way.” Soarin answered politely.

He quickly packed his extra food into a container and slipped it into his saddlebag, not wanting it to go to waste. Fluttershy stuffed the remainder of the pastry in her mouth. The two got up and left the store, while Donut Joe stayed back to close up the shop.

Once they were outside, Soarin and Fluttershy stood under the dim lights, looking at each other awkwardly.

“Well, looks like I have to get going…” Soarin announced, with a tinge of sadness in his voice as he started to flap his wings and turn towards Cloudsdale.

“Soarin, wait.”

He turned around and landed with a soft thump.

“I’ve been feeling kind of lonely lately too… maybe you could stay with me for the night?”

Soarin sighed, seemingly almost annoyed.

“You don’t need to invite me over out of pity; we barely even know each other.”

Fluttershy was surprised by his despairing response.

“It’s not pity Soarin. I may not know you as well as some other ponies, but you truly deserve better than this. That and… I really do like you. You’re incredibly sweet and kind.”

Soarin pondered that for a moment.

“Fluttershy, can I ask you something?”

“Why yes.”

He paused for a moment.

“What made you decide to sit down by me tonight? Because you’re the only pony who even stopped to say a word to me… Nopony else noticed me without my uniform.”

Fluttershy smiled.

“I just can’t walk away from a pony who looks like he’s hurt. Kindness should extend to more than just close friends.”

Soarin smiled sheepishly, feeling a tingle in his heart.

“So you’re a hundred percent serious about me staying over?”

“Of course.”

He seemed to lighten up at her confirmation.

“Will we be able to cuddle a bit? You know... Nothing serious, unless you want to...”

Fluttershy smiled, and responded by leaning forward and embracing him a strong hug. Soarin smiled back, and wrapped his forelegs around her in return.

“I wouldn’t get ahead of yourself, but cuddling sounds like a good start.”

Comments ( 25 )

Heh, cute.

Felt more like a good start of a romance story than a finished one, but quite decent.

5666130 That's usually one of the main criticisms of my stories, is that they're too short or need continuation. But I have a hard time committing to longer more developed stories since I'm such a slow writer. :twilightblush:

Glad you enjoyed it though, I appreciate the comment. :pinkiehappy:

Incredibly well written.
Incredibly well description of Fluttershy and Soarin.
Incredible romance working, you're a natural.
Greatest SoarinShy story so far, only complaint:
More detail about the shop and the pastry at the beginning would have done wonders for this story, probably featured if such was done. Also, slightly rushed, but not bad at all.
Great job all the way though.

5666213 Wow, thanks! ^__^

I appreciate the honest input, and agree with your point. Guess I kinda skimmed over the setting too much, heh.

This just feels rather lacking. There's not enough time spent really establishing the conflict that leads to the romance.

5666277 I'm gonna ask this out of the sincerity of my heart:
Can you like re-write it and resubmit or something? I'd really like to see what you can do and to see how it would change.

5666745 There's always opportunities to improve, but I would rather just focus on writing new stories than re-writing something that's already finished. Otherwise it turns into a chore rather than being fun. Atleast that's how I personally feel about it.

the dialogue and the natureness of the story were well done, though i don't think fluttershy would just up and ask soarin' what she does. granted, i don't think i could completely understand the inner workings of a technicolor sentient timid pony with wings.

5667456

I was going to comment about a few things I think could be improved, but it sounds like you prefer writing at your own speed and getting ideas on the page. To each their own!:eeyup:

The picture alone gets to me. He just looks so heartbroken. I bet Fluttershy is exactly what he needs.

Fluttershy picked up the pastry and trotted over to find a table. There were only two other ponies in the shop; a younger colt and his marefriend sharing a cream filled donut together and chatting. They looked cute together.

Button Mash and Scootaloo. Duh.

Little fillies and even full grown mares want my autograph afterwards.

:rainbowwild:

"Everypony likes the Wonderbolt me, but nopony even bats an eye at the real me. You know, the normal, off duty stallion who likes to do things like play videogames during his time off."

There's a lot of ponies who need to have this side explored. Poor guy.

And the few mares who did seem to care about me just wanted to have a famous coltfriend.

Some mares in town are not that shallow.:rainbowdetermined2::ajsmug::twilightsmile::yay::pinkiesmile::derpytongue2::trollestia:<--<whisper>This one knows exactly what you are talking about.

And honestly, even if I could date her, I wouldn't because she gets on my nerves. It's like she takes pride in being an alpha-mare and ordering me around.

That sounds like Spitfire.

“I’ve been feeling kind of lonely lately too… maybe you could stay with me for the night?”

Go on. This can only end well.
5666191 Weeell BUGGERY! Now I'm going to have to ship this

best soarinshy fanfic ever

After getting sick of seeing one SoarinDash shipfic after another, I'm glad to finally find a ship that's fresh and original, plus giving something new to learn about Soarin. Have a mustache, my friend. :moustache:

5670274 Thank you for the mustache of approval, fellow reader. :twilightsmile:

I agree with Coconut Swirl there's too much SoarinDash out there already, nice to see something different. I would also like to see this story continued if possible. :twilightsmile:

I really, really want to see more! Mustache of supreme approval: :moustache:

jxj

I really liked this story, I don't see this pairing much and you did a really good job. My only complaint is that it was two short; it felt like chapter 1, or maybe only part of the first chapter. I'd love to see this continued if you have plans for it.

He seems almost too quick to accept her love back towards the end despite all he's been through. Even though her love is genuine, it's hard to believe that's he's not instantly suspicious or something.

Donut Joe`s shop is in Canterlot...

While it`s likely that Fluttershy knows Soarin`s name, she`s very unlikely to start off by addressing virtual stranger by his name.

It`s equally unlikely for Soarin to spill his voes like that... or even phrase them like that. Celebrities usually seek their relief in excess or spirituality. Not in faux-depression.

You know, this could be a longer story if need be it's really good.

“Everypony likes the Wonderbolt me, but nopony even bats an eye at the real me. You know, the normal, off duty stallion who likes to do things like play videogames during his time off.”

He plays video games that's awesome

“Sorry to disturb you two, but it’s past closing time. I don’t like to rush customers out, but I’ve got to get home soon.”

This is actually pretty nice I kind of wish there was more to it to see how the relationship goes and actually how they will be like a couple or something like that but I do like how Fluttershy actually feels what soarin felt well I would say this is pretty good keep up the good work

I love this rare pair. Thanks for posting

Login or register to comment