• Published 24th Feb 2015
  • 20,468 Views, 1,280 Comments

The Conversion Bureau: Worlds Where It Wouldn’t Work - Sora2455



Worlds where The Conversion Bureau would fall flat on its face.

  • ...
47
 1,280
 20,468

World Eight - Narnia

"So... you don't have any problems with the humans being in charge of your world? Surely they must have some fault?"

Xlestia's annoyance rose as the native unicorn shook her head. "Nothing that comes to mind. I mean, Miraz was an awful tyrant, dear, but no one has had a cross word to say about King Caspian since his coronation."

Munching on a piece of toast, one of the native centaurs - a curious version of the Equestria creature, with no horns and pale skin - rolled his eyes. Swallowing, he said "Your Highness, you won't find any hidden problems by asking more than once! Do you know something about humans that we don't?"

Thinking fast, Xlestia said "Even though I was worlds away, the cruelty and hateful nature of humans was known to me."

"Sounds to me like you were using Miraz as an exemplar for Adam's race." A pony-sized Talking Beaver explained in-between mouthfuls of fish. "But the true Kings and Queens of Narnia are as polite and well-mannered as one could ask for! Besides, Aslan has endorsed them anyhow, so you can put those worries of yours to rest."

When the word 'Aslan' reached their ears, the equestrian ponies seated at the picnic table all had very different reactions.

Twilight was gripped with the idea that the Princess was coming and she had to get ready, which was strange because her mentor was right next to her. She still felt like she should start cleaning, despite the Narnian/Equestrian luncheon being held outdoors.

Fluttershy felt like all of her animal friends were hugging her at once, and the winged pony looked very silly trying to cuddle them back.

Pinkie Pie squealed in delight; her special squeal she saved for only the greatest of celebrations.

Rainbow Dash found herself suddenly sitting bolt upright, like she'd somehow been caught napping.

Rarity started to swoon, then stopped in confusion as she had no idea why she would do such a strange thing at the mere name of a stranger.

Applejack perked up, smiling broadly under her hat, before slumping in confusion much like her friends.

As for Xlestia... she could feel, deep in her soul, the most primal of fear stirring.

She shook herself, but the feeling remained. "W-who?"

"Aslan." The beaver repeated, and Xlestia's dread mounted. "The King of Beasts, son of the Emperor-Over-the-Sea, and rightful Lord of Narnia."

It was just a name. The name of some native trumped up creature: probably a human, Xlestia reassured herself. No need to fly back to her castle and hide under her covers right this instant. Really, she just needed to get a hold of herself.

"Actually, he's the reason none of us are worried about that magical wall you arrived with." The native pony spoke up, a brave steed by the name of Michael. "There have already been sightings of Him. They say He's on His way here!" He whispered in excitement in the way that actors do when they want their whole audience to hear them.

"WellthishasbeenanicelunchbutIreallyneedtogonowbye!" Xlestia squeaked, vanishing in a burst of golden magic.

"What was that about?" Rainbow Dash wondered.

"Well, royalty is on its way. Perhaps the Princess merely feels that she must be ready in time to greet him?" Rarity speculated.

Michael reached over to take a bite out of another apple, but the bowl was empty. Seeing this, Applejack said "Hold on, partner."

Trotting up a hill to the trunk of the apple tree they were eating under, Applejack gave it a powerful buck.

The dryad of said tree leaned out of it's upper branches, furious with the earth pony. "I say, do you mind?"


The border 'guards' were the first Equestrians to sight the Lion. Though the sight of him evoked feelings of fear and comfort both, their first thought was to their duty, and to that end they blocked the path leading to the Barrier.

But the Lion took no notice of their efforts, walking straight through the upheld spears without touching them, leaving the guards scratching their heads at the feat.

Walking quietly up to the hostile wall of magic, the Lion simply breathed on the Barrier, a breath whose power was undeniable to all who saw it. Imminently, the Barrier halted, to the stunned amazement of the guardsponies.

"Recede." Aslan commanded, and it was done. Both guardsponies and Barrier withdrew from his presence, and though the Barrier did naught but shrink slowly, the guardsponies would later report that it acted as though it was somehow ashamed.

Without hesitation, the Lion resumed his trek towards Canterlot as the Barrier shrunk out of sight.


"Ignite." Xlestia whispered, horn aglow, as she channeled sunlight into attempting to recast her Barrier. The spell spluttered and died as it had done many times so far. "Come on, ignite."

"It will not ignite, Princess of Sunlight."

Xlestia's breath caught in her throat. Frantically, she reinforced her door with as much magic as she could channel. The door itself glowed a brilliant gold as enchanted chains snaked around the hinges and latch. So impressive was her spellwork that for an instant, she dared hope that it might hold.

But the latch turned regardless, the hinges swung smoothly, and the force holding the door shut failed completely. Standing behind the wood was the great Lion himself, Aslan.

"W-who are you? Get out!" Xlestia scrambled backwards, abandoning her spellwork.

"Do you claim not to know me, Princess of Sunlight?" Aslan advanced into the room.

"Go away!" The Princess cried, hurling a bright yellow bolt of attack magic at the feline intruder. To her escalating panic, the bolt flowed over his mane like water before disappearing entirely.

"Why can't I hurt you?!" Xlestia cried hysterically.

Aslan, his face as calm and unmovable as a mountain, looked unblinkingly into the eyes of the panicked princess. "This world was intruded upon by your own - not merely that, but the land around yours became poisoned. Tell me how that came to be, Princess of Sunlight."

"I - I don't know - "

Aslan's face did not change, but when he interrupted her, she could almost feel herself pressed into silence. "Tell me how that came to be, Princess of Sunlight." He repeated.

Xlestia suddenly got the distinct impression that Aslan was not asking her because he did not know the answer to his question. She bit her lip.

"Tell me how that came to be, Princess of Sunlight." He asked for the third time - and Xlestia knew that he wouldn't be asking a fourth time.

"Because - because I moved us here." She finally admitted.

"And why did you do such a thing?" Aslan said, his voice low and deep.

"Because they needed saving!" Xlestia spat, annoyed that the Lion had to ask.

"They?"

"The humans! They're all the same kind for sunlight's sake! And yet they segregate themselves from each other, usually on the most asinine of reasons, like color or heritage or economy! What kind of species nearly starts a war because one group wanted to try communism?!"

The alicorn took a deep breath. "They fight and they hate and they die. And this isn't a recent thing either; they've been doing this for their entire history! Clearly, there is no hope for the species. Surely it is the ultimate kindness to free them from this cycle of pain and death?"

"You believe that you can redeem the race of Adam and Eve by yourself?" Aslan asked without inflection.

"Of course I can! Simply changing them to ponies will fill them with Harmony such that they can't even think of treating each other that way ever again!" Xlestia roared into the lion's face.

Aslan didn't react in the slightest to the alicorn's voice, merely continuing to stare intently into her eyes.

Hmph. Xlestia thought. He can't refute me, can he? I'll bet he's just as frustrated with the humans as I... why can I smell ink?

Blinking, the solar princess looked up - and nearly screamed in shock.

Words had been scrawled in broad strokes on the ceiling.

Neglect.

"Sister, perchance could thou spare some time today?"

"My apologies dear sister, thou wouldst not believe the number of nobleponies clamoring for our attention this day. It will have to wait for some other opportunity..."

Condescension.

Xlestia marked off the final lines of the spell. This should lift the entirety of Equestria off and onto the human world. Well, not quite all of it - magic rarely respected political boundaries. Still, even if she did leave somepony behind - or even part of somepony - it wouldn't affect the overall plan...

Hypocrisy.

Humans. Xlestia sneered though her crystal ball. Look at them all... such creatures that couldn't even scrounge up the basic levels of Harmony ponies had managed before I even took the throne, all those years ago. This just won't do - I can't stand such disorder in this world or any other.

There were other words too, but Xlestia screwed her eyes shut and placed her hooves over her ears, trying not to see, to feel the record of all her faults plastered around her bedroom.

So determined was she at desensitizing herself that she only realized Aslan was next to her when she felt his breath on her neck. She stiffened.

"The children of Epona do not hold any special position in the Final Judgment, Princess of Sunlight." He told her quietly. "Both you and your people require saving just as much as the children of Adam and Eve. You may show them the path - but only one with no faults of their own is truly capable of cleansing another of their sins. Do you understand?"

Xlestia didn't move, terrified the Lion would bite her if she so much as twitched. Watery tears of fear began to drip down her face.

Aslan sighed, and his sigh was like the wind blowing down from the mountains. "Go home, Princess of Sunlight. Rest, and contemplate thyself."

With a soft tap of one of Aslan's paws, the castle vanished, revealing barren mountain as both the nation of ponies and it's inhabitants were whisked back though the Woods between the Worlds back to their home.

The ancient Lion softly walked away. Unlike Jadis, the "White Witch", the Sun Princess had neither enacted something as evil as the Deplorable Word nor had stolen a fruit from the Tree of Life. There was still hope for her - if only she would heed his warnings.


World Eight - Once a friend in Narnia, always a friend in Narnia