• Published 28th Jan 2016
  • 810 Views, 23 Comments

Lost of thoughts - CraftAids



It wasn't even worth mentioning; out of the corner of his eye, he caught just the slightest glimpse of a chicken head on a small dragon body, waddling away. It wasn't even worth mentioning, and it was the closest he came to death.

  • ...
1
 23
 810

Uppity

It was a bright, sunshiny day. Lovingly crafted items were being crushed and consumed, as is the place of such things, sitting on a basic, small town cafe menu. Birds chirp in the sky (or, more accurately, from within little alcoves in the houses that nobody ever intended a bird to live in). Kids played in the middle of the street. Adults chatted disinterestedly and animatedly and watched. Houses with the same personality displayed their charm down each side of each street.

Someone left their house, smile on face and eyes shining like stars. She looked at trimmed lawns and competing children and into the ball of fire in the sky and at pretty butterflies and in people's windows and at the clouds in the sky. She trotted off the streets and along the shrubbery line, down the grassy patch between the cafe and someone's house. She looked at everything as she passed down the alley: a garden gnome, two walls, and the grass. She paused her walk as she came out from between the two buildings. Quietly, quickly, she said, “T’day's a good day.”

He stepped on a garden gnome and stumbled forward into a neat row of bushes. It took a moment, nestled in that relatively quiet, cool, and dark space in the bushes that ran along and defined the edge of the cafe property and gazing glazed-ly out at calm, smiling, socializing creatures eating together, for him to stop hyperventilating. There was no tremor. There was no roar. There was no pain. There were umbrellas in the sun and low, wrought iron chairs. There were drinks and cups and flowers on bread. There were ponies sitting.

The first table he looked at had 7 people: a white one with horn and purple mane, a pink one with a darker pink mane, an orange one with the yellow mane and a cowboy hat, a blue one with a prismatic mane and wings, a tiny purple dragon, a yellow one with a pink mane and wings, and a purple one with a horn, wings, and a mostly dark purple mane. He stared at her for a moment. He sighed and pulled himself back out of the hedge. His legs were shaking.

A child was next to him. The child looked at him and gasped. A look of terror overtook the little one. As a child ran away, he decided to avoid being seen. His legs weren’t shaking anymore.

He backed into the space between the cafe and the house. He put the gnome back on its feet and then looked forward. A green pony was standing a few feet away, at the end of the alley, and looking away from him. She turned to start walking and noticed him out of the corner of her eyes. She turned to face him and her smile dropped. Her mouth opened and her eyes slowly moved from his muzzle to his ears.

He ran past her and into the nearest relatively dark alley. He did not stop.

She turned to watch him go. She looked at the alley he had disappeared down for a few moments. Her eyes narrowed and her lips curved down. She growled, “It IS a good day.”