• Published 6th Mar 2015
  • 6,816 Views, 671 Comments

Upheaval: Journeys - Visiden Visidane



The ninth rebellion looms over Equestria, and its defenders must gather all the means they can to face the firstborn.

  • ...
16
 671
 6,816

Applejack 10: 'Till We Meet Again

Upheaval: Journeys

Applejack 10: 'Till We Meet Again

The dark slowly seeped out of the chasms, as if keeping in time with the slowly nearing hoof steps. It swirled like thick clouds of blackness. At a distance, some of it was starting to form four, long, slender shapes that moved in order. The air had grown still and very cold, Applejack shivered, then immediately looked worriedly to Vanguard. She pressed closer to him on instinct, hoping that the nearness of her body heat would help him. She would have thrown her hooves around him as well if she wasn't so worried about an attack. Vanguard, on his part, also pressed close. His eyes were locked on what was ahead, though. The four slender shapes were converging, revealing themselves as the legs of a very tall, four-legged creature.

The hoof-steps grew louder with each one, and a new scent rose above the typical stink of the abyss; blood. The thick, cloying stench of blood wafted from the figure, and crashed into Applejack's senses until she was reeling. Her head was already pounding viciously from all the knocks she had taken, this only made things worse. The shape finally finished forming once it was only several feet away. As Applejack had feared, it was an alicorn: built like a stallion, as tall as Prince Terrato, and covered in black, metal plates.

Not a single strand of fur showed past the alicorn's barding. His mane wafted from his criniere as deep red mist, like bloody vapor. His tail came out the same. Instead of a champron that might have shown his eyes and snout, a white, mask-like helmet, made to resemble the skull of a larger alicorn without the horn, covered his head. There were holes for the eyes, but they were shadowed and revealed nothing. Only two things revealed the colors of the pony beneath that armor: a long, light-blue horn, notched in several places, and a pair of large wings with feathers of the same color. Applejack's attention lingered on the right wing. It dangled uselessly by the alicorn's side, clearly broken in several places, and twisted gruesomely. A viscous, black, substance seemed to perpetually ooze out of its wounds, trickling down and dissipating when it dripped past the wing.

Despite the heavy, intimidating presence of black plates and red haze, it was easy enough to notice that the figure was translucent at best. Applejack didn't relax just yet, but it was likely that this alicorn was merely a projected image or something, like the one Prince Terrato used before.

"Lord Spatiator," Apple Slice said. He neither knelt nor bowed his head, but his tone carried marked respect. "You came to me when I called out, and you offered me your power when I asked for justice. I will never forget this."

Apple Slice paused, his heavy solemn expression allowing a very brief smile. Applejack couldn't help but mirror it when he glanced her way. Through it all, this "Lord Spatiator" remained perfectly still.

"But I..." Apple Slice went on. "I've held on to this grudge long enough. Even if I've done things worthy of the abyss...I wish to be with my family again. I've dealt enough misery in this world. It's time I rejoined them."

Spatiator said nothing. Instead, he took a few more steps closer. Applejack bit down on her chain. There was no way this cruel alicorn of the abyss would simply let her ancestor go. She had fought Nightmare Moon. She knew their type. Next to her, Vanguard also readied himself despite his shivering. He held no weapon, though. Perhaps, he lost them trying to get here. Nearby, Sakylthos merely observed. Apple Slice, on his part, did not flinch at standing so close to such an ominous figure. Spatiator raised a foreleg above Apple Slice, his horn briefly flashing. In that flash of red, an enormous metal collar of the same black metal as the alicorn's armor suddenly materialized around Apple Slice's neck.

"I knew it!" Applejack shouted. Well, at least she tried to shout. Her voice was ragged from the shouting earlier, and her throat was raw with blood and left over vomit. This Lord Spatiator was going to collar her ancestor like some two-bit ophidite slaver! A hoof from Vanguard held her back, though.

"Look to what it's attached," Vanguard said.

Applejack paused and stared. There must be dozens of black chains attached to that collar, all spreading out to the nearby surroundings. She followed them with her gaze, and gasped. All the apple branches had disappeared. In their place were the tangled, twisted, silhouettes of ponies, all struggling and moaning in pain. The chains wrapped around them, leaving them suspended in agonizing positions. These...these were what the apple branches were all along?

"You will let them go to attain your place in the Herd?"

Spatiator's voice was deep, and surprisingly gentle. Not at trace of outrage at all.

"Yes," Apple Slice said. "This filly showed me the truth of it. I thought I was being just, but I was just being afraid."

Spatiator waved a hoof, and the collar shattered with a loud clink. The chains quivered and followed soon after, echoed by the myriad cries of relief and joy all around.

"Then...go in peace."

Spatiator stepped back and stayed silent as rays of light began to pour out of Apple Slice's chest. He looked at his hooves with shocked disbelief first, then with gentle joy. Around them, the broken, shadowy, pony ghosts also erupted with light.

"Thank you," Apple Slice said solemnly. He turned towards Applejack with a much wider grin. " And thank you." His face turned serious for a moment as he raised a hoof. "To me one last time, chain!"

Some invisible force yanked the chain from Applejack's mouth. A surprised grunt from Sakylthos told her that he experienced the same thing. The two halves converged in front of Apple Slice, who was now glowing brightly and becoming more translucent. He grasped each chain with a front hoof, and held them close. Apple Slice looked at her and smiled a warm and approving smile at last. "You've reminded me of truths I've forgotten in my misery. This here chain's yours now." With that, he plunged both halves into his chest. The light from him flared into a dazzling array of golden motes. When he pulled his hooves out, there was only a single, long chain of fine silver. He extended his hooves towards Applejack, and the links gently floated her way. "We'll meet again someday. You better have some great tales to tell me about what you did with that, you hear?"

Tears streaming from her eyes, Applejack tried to say something, only to choke up. She had to settle for nodding vigorously.

"Bear Wrangler!" Sakylthos called out.

Apple Slice turned towards the ophidite. "You went far and fought hard, Champion of Ophidus," he said. "And you weren't wrong. In my dying moments, I did curse the ponies who led me to that final battle, and that rage passed on to the half you carried. No doubt, you slaughtered many brave legionnaires with my weapon."

"A great many," Sakylthos said. "Say what you will, Bear Wrangler, but I do not regret a single kill, and I believed I carried out your will."

"I've got no grudge against you, champion," Apple Slice said. "You serve your Empire loyally. As much as I despise Ophidus, I admire your dedication." His eyes hardened. "But your time with my chain is over. I've chosen my successor, and what grudge I hold towards ponies is gone."

Sakylthos merely chuckled. "So be it," he said. Applejack could have sworn she heard a sigh between those words. "It was my folly to rely on ponies in the end. Go to your final rest, Bear Wrangler, I shall have to find other ways to conquer Equestria."

Apple Slice let out a snort, though his smile was back. "Not if my family has anything to say about it!" The light from him grew brighter still, and his image was nearly gone. He looked to Applejack one last time. "See you around, filly!" he said. With one more flare, he disappeared, and the light dimmed swiftly. He did not disappear in silence, however. As Apple Slice faded away, a chorus of cheers erupted from the shadowy ponies in the background. Many of them also burst into light before fading away.

Many, but not all.

After all the lights faded, there were still plenty of the ghostly figures drifting about, their forelegs raised in a cowering pose. They quivered and moaned quietly as they slowly circled the place. Applejack didn't understand. They were free of Apple Slice's grudge. What were they still doing here?

"You guilt-soaked souls frightened of the Herd's light, to me. I shall guide you to the abyss."

The pony ghosts swirled around Spatiator, slowly descending upon him until they disappeared into the ground beneath his hooves.

The elation from seeing Apple Slice freed faded. Applejack took a step towards Spatiator. "What are you doing?" she cried out. "They were free!"

"Yes," Spatiator replied. "They are." He looked to Sakylthos. "As are you, Q'tzal-spawn. This abyssal sanctum will collapse soon. Set aside what fight you have with Equestria for now, and leave. I grant you this one time to traverse the abyss without any means to attune yourself to it."

Sakylthos grunted. "Then, I shall take it." He looked to Applejack. "We will fight again someday, Applejack. Until then."

The rising shadows enveloped Sakylthos, shrouding him in darkness for a moment. After that instant, the shadows dispersed, and he was gone. Applejack swallowed and focused. The twisted apple branches were gone, as was most of the odd light. She stood on bare, cracked, and uneven ground with the darkness closing in on her and Vanguard. Her new chain sparkled silver around her neck, but she was still hurt, and Vanguard was in no condition to fight. In front of them, the image of Spatiator stood perfectly still.

"Hello, Applejack."

That alone nearly made Applejack jump. "H-how'd you know my name?" she asked.

"Our Spymistress has made her report," Spatiator replied. "We know all of your names."

"You've sent the others away," Vanguard said. "But you keep us here. Why?"

"Calm yourselves," Spatiator said. "My projected image can only influence a few, specific things where you are. I cannot harm you, even if I wished to. The Element of Honesty will protect Applejack once you traverse the abyss to leave this place. You, on the other hoof, will surely die given the damage you've taken from your last trip. As with the Q'tzal-spawn, I shall give you leave to do the same without further harm."

Applejack couldn't bear it any longer. This alicorn wasn't making sense. "Why did you do this?" she asked. "You spent centuries trying to drag Apple Slice to your abyss, then you let him go 'cause he asked you nicely? Why did you pick him of all ponies? Don't you have enough crazy ponies from the Old Kingdom?" Her voice lowered. "Who...are you?"

At first, there was only silence, and the lingering cold. Despite the throbbing in her head and the stink of blood., Applejack forced herself to listen.

"I am Abysso Spatiator, one of the three prime servants of the Rightful King. I offered your ancestor a place among my knights, Applejack. He thought it through, then refused. I have no interest in slaves so I did not press the matter. And I did not pick him out of so many. Quite the opposite; he picked me."

Applejack's eyes narrowed. She remembered that vision of Apple Slice calling out for any alicorn to help him. She recalled his words about his crying out, and the abyss answering.

"Understand, ponies, that we alicorns of the abyss are sympathetic in spirit. Whether we wish to or not, we hear your cries if they are loud and resonant enough. Apple Slice's grudge disturbed my peace. I sought him out because he wanted to be found and refused to be silent until he was. He should be grateful that it was not Coruscaria or some other alicorn he disturbed."

"I don't believe you," Applejack growled.

"I care not. Now, I have answered your questions. Propriety demands that you grant me a boon as well."

Applejack was about to make another retort, but she shut her mouth. She didn't like this weird interaction with the great enemy they were all preparing to fight for. She almost wished that he was arrogant and self-serving. All she could do was nod instead.

"Tell Prince Terrato that I shall protect his beloved as long and as best I can. In return, he must defeat me first before he dares to draw his regalia against the Rightful King."

That was...reasonable. Too easy even. Though Applejack found herself having to deliver news to Prince Terrato. Again. "I will," she said warily.

"Then, go. When the day comes, Applejack, seek me in the battlefield. It shall be my honor to slay you, and I promise a swift death."

With that, Spatiator walked away. The shadows blurred and coaelsced all around them as he did. The ground gave way beneath their hooves, and the last thing Applejack heard was a very loud splash before the dark overtook her.


With one more ginger tug, Anektor finished binding the last of his wounds: a long gash across the shoulder from a constrictor's halberd. Fortunately, most of the camp's medical supplies remained intact after the Empire's attack, and there were enough for his myriad injuries as well as Seshimyssen's, and their newfound allies.

Well, "allies" might be stretching it for now. Anektor stared at the group of ponies tending to themselves at the far side of the cave. He knew as well as any crocodilian that the Southern Legion's rangers had eyes out in the swamp, even the most remote areas. He was sure that even this camp had, at least, one mark on a ranger's map. What he wasn't sure of was Vanguard Clash's ability to call on them, or their willingness to answer even if it did mean helping a traditionally hostile race.

But help they did. Vanguard must have signaled while they were still outside as it didn't take long after Applejack disappeared into that pond before they showed up. First, the ophidites broke through the defensive line outside the cave. They poured into the camp eagerly, likely aware that Sakylthos had inflitrated the place and softened up the defenses for them. They were right too. By the time they showed up, the only ones left were Anaketor and Seshimyssen. Vanguard dove into the pond after Applejack.

A lone crocodilian mercenary and a vipren traitor was hardly a proper match for so many. They would have dearly sold their lives right there if the Southern Legion rangers had not showed up. The rangers were few in number, but they were some of the Southern Legion's most efficient fighters, a necessity as their agents often had to fend for themselves in the very harsh jungles and marshes of the south with no protective walls or numerous allies. They cut down more than their fair share of ophidites, and they had the advantage of surprise. They held on with surprising tenacity until the ghosts exploded from the pond.

Yes, that was the strange part. More restless dead emerged from the pond, though these ones glowed brightly with white light, as opposed to the darkened, soaked, beings from before. They swirled about shouting and singing joyously. The racket was so unnerving that, combined with the surprise attack and their inability to locate their champion, the ophidite attack broke. The restless dead did not even make a single attack. After a while, they simply disappeared.

One of the rangers caught Anektor staring and glowered. It would have been more intimidating if this mare didn't have a shattered snout and a badly swollen eye. Her companions were still treating her, and she clearly didn't like the nursing, especially in front of the crocodilian who was so obviously mocking her.

Oh, that was a hilarious sight despite the danger. Shortly after the retreat, Sakylthos himself emerged from the pool. It took him a single glance around to realize that he was in hostile territory and had to flee. He was clearly injured: with deep gouges around his chest plates and a head wound. Still, he was an explosion of movement, slithering his way towards the exit while the ponies shouted in alarm. They knew who he was and what he was worth dead to Equestria. Sakylthos moved swiftly and deftly, however, evading most of their attacks. One ranger, the glowering mare, planted herself between him and the exit. She earned a punch to the face for her courage. She should consider herself lucky that the chain he had been using wasn't on him at that time. Otherwise, her companions would be burying a body, not nursing a filly.

The fighting together was the easy part. Anektor counted nearly zero survivors of this major rebellion camp. Only Maldaktor made it out with serious injuries. The Rebellion had not been exterminated, but it certainly was crippled. The ophidites will strike again, harder than ever now that they've committed this amount of troops. Sakylthos will likely fight harder than ever now as he looks to have lost whatever he was trying to acquire here. Destroying the Crocodilian Rebellion would ease the sting of failure, and salvage his reputation as an imperial champion somewhat. The tatters of the Rebellion won't be enough to stand up to the Empire. They needed Equestria for certain, even if it did mean begging and becoming part of that nation of ponies. Of course, Anektor already anticipated being paid to act the diplomat again.

Next to Anektor, Seshymissen was staring elsewhere: a nearby tent under a large mushroom and close to a roaring campfire. He had fought hard, and showed an array of fresh scars-in-the-making for it. "Those two should be rutting by now," he said.

"That bump on your head not enough, Ses?" Anektor asked with a grin.

Seshimyssen shrugged. "It's the proven best thing for them to do."

"Maybe," Anektor replied. "You saying it to their faces certainly wasn't."

The last to emerge from the pond were Applejack and Vanguard Clash. She bore the marks of a brutal beating on her face and legs, though she carried the injuries with a stoic satisfaction. Vanguard wasn't wounded, but he was shivering and soaked, odd given Applejack was dry. Seeing the freezing stallion, Seshimyssen had told them to rut. His medical advice earned him a conk on the head from Applejack.

"My old master performed experiments with this situation," Seshimyssen said. "He wanted to know the best way to revive a slave exposed to enemy frost spells or cold weather. He and his colleagues got some slaves on the cheap, and cast frost spells on them. The control subject died soon enough. One was allowed a blanket, another a campfire, yet another had fire spells cast on him." Seshimyssen snorted. "The first and third died. The second took a while to recover. The last one was tossed into the company of a nubile, young mare. He revived the fastest. As such, they concluded that if a pony was allowed to rut, he would recover from freezing quickly."

Anektor chuckled. "You could have gotten some ponies from the north and asked them. You might have saved some casualties."

"That's what I said," Seshimyssen said. "Of course, no one wanted to listen to the perverted majordomo." He shrugged. "Besides, they already bought the cheap slaves. What else were they going to do with the unskilled labor?"

Anektor stared at the tent. He could have sworn he saw the sides move slightly. "Well, Ses," he said. "If it's any consolation, it looks like someone is listening to the perverted majordomo."


Applejack nestled against Vanguard, her forelegs around his midsection, and her cheek against his chest. The strong and steady heartbeat and the gentle breathing were music to her ears. After an hour or two, he had stopped shivering, and his fur had finally dried. The inner light that flared from her had faded as well. As for her injuries, the rangers provided quick-acting poultices for the wounds, and some minor healing spells that Princess Luna had already distributed among the Legion. More than that, though, she just recovered really quickly for some reason. She breathed with ease already, the worst of the swelling had gone down, and the headache was gone.

"So..."

Vanguard's voice no longer trembled with the cold, but it was softer and...growlier than normal. Applejack's ears twitched giddily. It was almost as if every hair in her ear gently trembled as the sound passed through, softly tickling her in the process. "Hm?" she asked. Even talking straight proved a challenge. His warm, musky scent, mixed with damp vegetation, filling her lungs with each breath: not exactly an odor for parties, but an honest...oddly exciting smell. The warmth spread from her chest and rushed through her like blood coursing through her veins.

"Where do we go from here?" Vanguard asked.

Applejack had to hide a pout. Business as usual of course. She glanced at her new chain by one side of the tent, where it lay along with her armor and her hat. Vanguard's gear lay among them. Mission accomplished, she supposed. " Dunno..." she mumbled. "Think I'll stay south for a while. The crocodilians need help, and I want to do more about ponies helping slavers. Pick up where Apple Slice left off and stuff. Besides, Sakylthos got away. I got a bone to pick with him."

"Our friends?" Vanguard asked.

Applejack sighed. "They got their own things to do. I just got this hunch that we'll come together again in the future. Just...not right away."

Vanguard let out chuckle, his chest rumbling. She could understand. More hunches. "South it is then."

Applejack raised herself against him so her muzzle pressed against his neck. Her own need to get things done protested. She ignored it. She had just freed a hero of the Legion and improved her weapon. She deserved something like this. "No more work talk," she said. "Just for tonight."

Vanguard wrapped a foreleg around her and held her even closer. His muzzle brushed the tuft of fur in her ear when he spoke. "As you wish," he whispered.

Oh, that was it. Her heart throbbing, Applejack put a hoof to the back of Vanguard's head, burying it in his long, thick, black curls, and pulled him in. He tasted of that dried fruit the rangers shared with them earlier: mildly sweet and tangy. He nipped her lower lip slightly with a fang when he kissed her back; nothing painful, but all the more exciting. Their hind legs tangled until he swept her against her back. He broke off for a moment, his breathing heavy. She looked up to a pair of red eyes gleaming brightly against the tent's darkened interior. He smiled, not that gentle, assuring smile, but a predatory one, gleaming with excited anticipation. "For tonight..." he growled.

Applejack threw aside the concerns for the future as carelessly, just as she did her gear. Vanguard all but crashed into her every sense; his scent, his rough fur, his nearly crushing embrace, and his taste. Yes, just for tonight.