• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 1,671 Views, 21 Comments

From Regret to Rage - GivingSpider



Screwball laments her father being trapped in stone for the second time. Then she decides to do something about it.

  • ...
5
 21
 1,671

Chapter 2

Characters used here are property of their respected owners
-


Screwball had never had to run so fast in her life. Manipulating that pink pony had come with downright scary consequences. The Daughter of Chaos fled the bakery in such a fever that she almost forgot to reapply her invisibility spell. She didn’t even care that others had witnessed seeing a strange Earth Pony filly suddenly disappear into nothing. She didn’t care who saw the door open and slam shut either. All that mattered to her was her father and escaping the storm that she had started.

Just as soon as Screwball had released Pinkie from her gaze the energetic creature bolted into a mad frenzy. Everything in her way was either jumped over or got out of her way. She took another deep breath as she stepped away from the door. Screwball turned and saw thick smoke coming from the chimney of the bakery she had escaped from.

Clearly her first target decided that the ovens weren’t good enough and elected to use the fireplace as another method of preparing cupcakes.

Pinkie’s burst of labor was enough to keep her and a good chunk of Ponyville preoccupied. When Pinkie either broke free of the suggestion spell or exhausted herself she still wouldn’t be in any shape to leave the building to possibly get in her way. Screwball grinned as she started towards her next target. The biggest obstacle of her plan was the fabled ‘Pinkie Sense’; and it was no longer a threat to her. All she had to fear now was the collective abilities of the remaining element bearers.

She skipped lightly along her path. At her next stop she would remove two more opposing pieces from the board.

Screwball let her heart rate return to a relaxed pace. Pinkie falling under her spell marked the beginning of the end of her father’s imprisonment. She glanced at the sun for a moment and with very smug satisfaction she taunted the great orb in the sky.

Her path led her to a building with an atmosphere that was the exact opposite of the state she had left the bakery in. The town’s library stood as a metaphorical monument to inner peace. The fact that you could see Sugar Cube Corner from the library doorstep made the symbolism much easier to spot. The eager filly took some composing breaths and ran over her plan once again. She had two targets to deceive inside the structure and at least one of them would pose a challenge.

She ran through her plan again before dropping the spell that kept others from seeing her. She raised her hoof and knocked on the wooden door. After a moment it opened. Screwball held back a growl as she looked at Twilight Sparkle. She anticipated the dragon. She made a few quick calculations and before the Unicorn had a chance to saw anything; Screwball put on her best pleasant face and addressed the resident librarian.

“May I come inside?”

Twilight looked down at her with a smile that did a fair job of concealing a small amount of amusement.

“Sure.” She said as she stepped aside. “It’s a public library after all.”

Screwball stepped inside and glanced around. Books, books and even more books upon shelves, shelves and more shelves greeted her. She glanced around and at the sound of the door closing she asked the Unicorn another question.

“Have you read all these books?”

“Yes I have!” Twilight replied proudly and she walked up to the filly. “If there’s anything I can help you find just let me know.”

Screwball pulled out a random book.

“You read this one?” She asked as she held it up to Twilight.

“Of course.” Twilight replied.

“This one?” The filly asked as she withdrew another tome.

Yes.” Twilight responded with enthusiasm.

“This one?” Screwball asked as she pulled out yet another book.

“Yes.” The Unicorn replied with slowly diminishing enthusiasm.

Screwball continued her game until Twilight’s tone turned into an obvious attempt to be polite and humor the strange filly. When Celestia’s student’s attention began to wane Screwball called upon her power and changed the next book she could reach. She held it up for Twilight to see and before she could repeat her question again Twilight hurriedly snatched it up.

“I…I’ve never seen this book before!” She said with excitement.

Screwball took a step back and waited for a few moments. Twilight had seated herself on the floor and used her magic to hold the book in front of her face. The new fabric bound collection of paper sheets had captured her attention. Twilight seemed to forget that Screwball was even there.

Discord’s spawn smiled to herself as she made her way up the stairs. With Twilight indisposed she could carry out her plans for the first target without interruption. She gave the Unicorn a last glance before leaving the public area of the library. Twilight hadn’t budged at all.

Screwball helped herself to the upper floor and into the first door she found. Inside she found her target as well as something very surprising and yet very predictable. The young dragon that served as Twilight Sparkle’s assistant was sitting at a small table. The table held a simple tea kettle and two small cups. Across the table from the dragon was a good sized pillow with a photograph of a certain white mare with a purple mane. She cracked a smile as the dragon softly spoke sweet nothings to the photo of his apparent beloved. Screwball didn’t foresee this altering her plan, other than making Spike a bit more susceptible to her powers.

Screwball waited for the dragon to realize that he was being watched. When he turned to face her his face became a crimson shade. He started to stammer and stopped only as Screwball stepped forward and addressed the young drake.

“I think it’s kind of sweet.” She said calmly as she made her way to an empty spot at the table. “It’s fun to pretend to be with somepony you care about deeply…but the real thing means so much more.”

“Yeah…” Spike replied as his face returned to its normal shade. He glanced longingly at the photo and seemed no longer fazed that a strange filly had just helped herself into the room. “…I’d give anything…but it’ll never happen…”

“Not with that attitude it won’t.” Screwball spoke with a degree force that made the dragon give her his full attention. “As long as you’re content to play with a pillow and a photo you’ll never go after the real thing. You have to get up and make your dream a reality.”

She locked her eyes onto Spike’s. She took hold of her power and went straight to work.

“Spike…when a real dragon chooses another dragon or pony he goes right up to his object of affection and proves himself. He puts on a display of dominance to prove that he will be a strong and protective mate. He uses his brawn to hold his partner down without hurting them until they submit and accept; or until an outright rejection is announced.”

Spike hesitated. He seemed slightly dazed by what he heard. Screwball tried to imagine what was going through his head. The dragon stood up and made a confident announcement.

“You’re right. I’m gonna do it. I’m going to march over there and show her how much of a dragon I am!”

Screwball took note of Spike’s lack of a certain type of drive. She leapt from her spot and firmly planted herself in front of him. She began to channel her power and her eyes began to swirl.

“Hey…you’re not quite ready. You have to do it properly without hurting her. Since you’re still small you can’t pin a Unicorn down. If you’re weak then she’ll toss you off.”

Spike didn’t look away from the filly. Even as he succumbed to her will he stayed locked onto her eyes. Even as he slowly grew in size to just a bit taller than a full grown pony he continued to look into the swirling vortexes in her head. Screwball gently let go of her spell and went on.

“Use your strength and purpose as if to seduce her. Use rope, silk scarves or a bit gag to give your argument some impact. Get over there and make that Unicorn yours!”

Spike’s response was to soundly pound a clenched fist against his heart. He marched down the stairs and right out the door. Screwball fought back her laughter. Not only did this keep Spike and Rarity out of the game, but it left Twilight alone to fend her herself.

Something that Twilight might not be able to do.

She returned to the lower floor and saw Twilight still absorbed in her new book. Not even the sight of a mature dragon marching out the door could get her to look away. The summer breeze coming in from the open door didn’t distract her either.

The strong sent of smoke however, did manage to get Twilight to look up.

She dropped the book and darted to the door and from a window Screwball could see dense smoke rising from the chimney of the bakery. Not wanting to lose her chance to ensnare the Unicorn she grabbed her power and teleported herself in Twilight’s path. The Unicorn stopped in her tracks and stared at her.

“But…you’re an Earth Pony…you just…how…who are you?” The librarian asked as she steped back away from the filly.

Screwball identified a problem. Twilight now had just cause to be suspicious. A suspicious Twilight could blow the whole thing. Screwball grabbed at her resolve. Her father was counting on her to get it right and she only had one shot. She mapped out some quick changes to her plan and steeled herself for her ‘Plan B’. She thought of her father's imprisonment. She thought of his pain. She though about how much she missed him.

“My horn is smaller than it should be for my age…and I’m self conscious about it…so I wear a beanie.” Screwball said as wore a sad expression while aiming it at the floor.

Twilight seemed to be taken off guard by the words and stepped back further.

“I…I’m so sorry…I’ve never heard of that kind of thing before? Has this affected your magic at all? Are you a few grades behind because of it?”

Screwball strongly fought her urge to grin as Twilight had unknowingly stepped right into her improvised trap. The filly looked right at the grown mare and went straight for the throat.

“You don’t know?” She asked as she began to channel her magic. “Twilight…you’re about to be tested on this condition. Did you forget?”

Twilight paused as she looked into Screwball’s eyes. She shook her head and seemed to be resting Screwball’s spell.

“No…I never forget a test. Not once have I ever let the Princess down like that. Who are you?”

Twilight took at step forward. Screwball matched the action and regained eye contact. She elected not to take any chances and went full power.

“Never forget a test? Like how you knew every book in the library? You forgot Twilight…it’s as simple as that.”

Twilight couldn’t look away. Screwball stepped closer and maintained her spell. She reached with her magic and shut the door.

“Twilight…you need to study for your test. You need to study. You need to practice a spell.”

“What spell?” Twilight calmly spoke in a droning voice.

“How to unlock a body from stone petrifaction.” Screwball replied with a grin on her face.