• Published 22nd Feb 2015
  • 11,400 Views, 380 Comments

Summer Sunset - RobRoyale



Summer vacation has arrived in the human world and Sunset Shimmer takes a trip back to Equestria. However she comes back to something more than she bargained for.

  • ...
23
 380
 11,400

Into the Fire

Chapter 10

The smoke could be seen rising from the mountains. The heavens had opened up and it began to pour rain. This didn’t stop Celestia’s pace. She tore through the skies, flying as quickly as possible towards the smoke. Luna kept up next to her and gave her sister a worried look.

“Tia, slow down,” said Luna. “The soldiers are having difficulty keep up.”

Celestia kept her pace then it. “Twilight was on that train! I have to find her!” Less than an hour ago, a guard stormed into the palace. His armor was cracked and his face blackened by soot. He told them about the attack on the train and said they couldn’t find Princess Twilight anywhere. Celestia hadn’t taken a second moment to think. She raced out of the palace leaving Luna to gather a platoon of guards and follow. “She has to be alright!”

Luna pushed against the gusts of wind that ripped through the sky. “Sister, we are worried about Twilight as well. But remember, she has been in more tight spots than this. She will be alright.”

Celestia looked to Luna, who was giving her a reassuring smile, but that didn’t lessen her worries. The twin sisters flew around the mountain peak and smoke and tracks came into full view. The bridge was collapsed and the smoke was drifting up out of the darkness below. Without a second to pause, Celestia went into a nosedive down into the abyss. Luna followed behind her and they lit the way for the guards struggling to keep up. It wasn’t long before they reached the bottom. The whole train was in shambles. There were a few fires still going. Huddled near them were guards in conditions ranging from bruised to bloody.

“Where. Is. Twilight?” Celestia demanded marching towards the guards.

“Tia!” Luna put herself between her and them. She gave her sister and stern look, then turned to the platoon of guards. “We need medics and healing unicorns over here now!” The guards made their way to the groups of survivors and began treating their wounds. Celestia looked over the wreckage and didn’t see any sign of Twilight. She marched forward, surveying the small groups. None approached her out of fear and shame. Near the head of the train, she saw two guards aiding a wounded Flash Sentry.

She approached them quickly and Flash looked up his eyes widening. “U-uh, your highness!” He saluted and cringed. From the looks of it, his arm was twisted.

“Sergeant, what happened here?” She said in as calm a tone as she could muster.

“We were ambushed by the changelings, they were led by Queen Chrysalis, they blew up the engine and destroyed the bridge.” He coughed, and laid back. One of the medics hurried over and surrounded his body with healing magic.

“Where is Twilight?”

Flash gulped and looked away. “They took her…”

There was silence. For all who could see, Celestia’s face was in sheer horror and shock. The last time anyone had seen her like this was during the Canterlot wedding fiasco. She gritted her teeth and stomped her hoof into the ground causing it to shake slightly. One guard jumped back with a high-pitched eek! Luna walked up to Celestia, putting a hoof on her front leg. “We’ll get her back, sister.”

Celestia stared at the ground with pinprick eyes, then breathed slowly. “Yes… we will…” She shook her head slowly. “Have the wounded taken care of and clean up here, I’ll be heading to Ponyville. Twilight’s friends need to be informed on what’s happened.”

Luna nodded and went to attend to other guards. Celestia sighed and fought back the anger growing inside her. She wanted to scream for what Chrysalis did. First Cadence, now Twilight, she thought.

She turned to leave and out of the corner of her eye she saw a small light. It was faint and it wasn’t coming from the dying fires. Slowly, she walked over to it. The light came from under a few pieces of wood and rumble, every few seconds it would shine on and off. Using her magic she moved the wreckage aside and lifted up a glowing notebook that continued to vibrate. Her eyes widened and hesitantly, she brought it forward and opened it.


Sunset touched the surface of the statues stone face and it rippled like a drop of water against a pool. The portal was open again. She breathed slowly, trying to lower her heart rate. She had it all worked out in her head.

Walk through the portal.

Embrace Twilight.

Apologize (Apologize to Flash if he’s there).

Tell her that you like her.
It was the ideal plan and she wasn’t going to let anything stop her. Not even the Lord of Chaos who was standing behind her tapping his claw foot impatiently.

“Well? What are you waiting for?” He yawned.

Sunset shot him a look. “Just readying myself. Give me a moment.”

Discord smiled slyly. “Oh, thinking about how you’re going to sweep Twilight off her hooves?” His hands turned into sock puppets and he made them do kissy faces.

“Cut that out.” Sunset blushed and frowned. She stepped forward and entered the portal. Even though it was the third time she was stepping through it still felt like a roller coaster ride. But the second she was there was over in an instant and she came out landing on her belly again. She heard the portal shimmer again as Discord came through behind her.

“Ah, it's good to be ba— oh…bye!” Discord disappeared in a flash of light. This made Sunset nervous. She lifted her head from the ground and saw light pink hooves in front of her, clad with gold.

Oh… Sunset gulped, she knew who was standing in front of her. She knew so very well but she thought if she didn’t raise her head that this would all just go away. But fate was not so kind to her as the pony in front of her spoke.

“Sunset Shimmer.” Celestia spoke. Her tone was a mix of endearment and sternness. One she had not heard in a long time.

Buck. Slowly Sunset raised her head. She saw Celestia’s plain expression and she was terrified. This was not what she expected and now all she wanted was for Twilight to come save her from this nightmare. She got to her hooves and quickly turned around lunging for the portal entrance, however her face hit the solid glace surface. She rubbed her forehead and turned to see Celestia holding the enchanted book with her magic. Having nowhere to run now, she turned to Celestia and bowed her head. “…P-Princess… Celestia…”

“It has been a long time since I’ve seen you,” Celestia started in a matter of fact voice. “I’m am very troubled that Twilight didn’t tell me you had come back to Equestria.”

“P-Princess I can explain, I—” Sunset started looking up, but Celestia cut her off raising her hoof.

“But at this moment, there are more pressing matters at hand.” She motioned to the rest of Twilight’s friends behind her. Their expressions were a mix of fright, anger, and worry. Celestia was clenching her teeth before she spoke again. “Twilight has been captured by the changelings.”

Sunset Shimmer went pale. Something inside her chest plummeted into the depths of darkness while the gears in her mind stopped turning. Everything stopped for her, each motion and thought. “W-what…” she said softly.

Celestia nodded. “On her way back from Canterlot, her train was attacked by Queen Chrysalis. They’ve taken her to their stronghold in the dark lands of Equestria.”

Sunset sat there for a few moments in utter disbelief. Finally, a switch clicked on in her head. “I’m going to get her back.”

“Sunset, I—”

“Don’t tell me no, Celestia! I won’t abandon Twilight!” She stomped her hoof down in place. The group stopped walking and looked at her. Whatever fear she had at the first sight of her former teacher was gone. All that remained was a look of absolute determination.

Celestia looked down at her former student with a curious look. “Hm, it seems she’s had a positive effect on you.”

Sunset nodded with her cheeks lighting up a bit. “Yes, she has.”

Celestia smiled, “Well, I was going to say I’m not letting you go alone.” She motioned them to follow and they exited the library, entering the main circular throne room of Twilight’s palace. There was Luna and a few guard ponies clad in decorated armor standing over a table with maps. “There will be a battle, and we will be fighting in it.”

She guided them over to the table that showed a map of changeling stronghold with various troop positions and battlements in place. One of the decorated guards spoke. “As you can see, the stronghold is heavily fortified. The changelings are spread out all over the area in strong numbers. Their battlements are located between all strategic aerial and ground points.”

Another guard drew his hoof over the palace. “Our scouts have also identified a network of tunnels under the stronghold that give the changelings immediate access across the battlefield, meaning at any point they could flank our troops.”

“Oh, it's like wackamole!” Pinkie Pie piped up. Everypony looked at her. “What? They pop out of the holes and you try to bash em!”

Celestia smiled a little. “It’s not that simple Pinkie Pie. Though, the tunnels will be key in this battle.” She placed her hoof on the edge of the map. “Our forces must enter here, led by myself and Luna. We will set up defensive positions at these three points to draw the changelings in away from the palace.”

“Where do we come in, your highness?” Asked Applejack.

“Yeah!” Rainbow Dash. “Are you going to have us lead the charge and storm the palace to save Twilight?!”

She shook her head. “Not exactly. While Luna and I distract the changelings, you will be using the tunnels to access the palace from below. Your mission will be to free Twilight and get out as quickly as possible.”

Fluttershy shrunk back a little. “T-that sounds dangerous.”

“C’mon ’Shy, it’s only a palace crawling with blood thirsty changelings! We’ve dealt with them before!” Rainbow gave a cocky grin and the yellow pegasus hid her face behind her mane.

Sunset looked over the map and her expression hardened. “What if we run into Chrysalis?”

Celestia shook her head “Don’t seek her out, only engage her if she is in between you and Twilight.” The girls nodded to her. “Good, we haven’t time to lose.”


Though, typically none of them wore clothes, Celestia had insisted on fitting each pony with armor plating. Having fought the changelings before with nothing but bare hooves, each pony was grateful to have more protection now. Sunset sat at the back of Celestia’s chariot, looking down at the world below her. The clouds passed by, behind her were dozens of chariots surrounded by pegasi escorts. Their battle chariot was large enough to hold all of them and would drop them off near the closest tunnel entrance. Once inside, they would have to feel their way through to the tunnels to the palace.

Sunset however, though determined to get Twilight back, couldn’t help but think that each second they were in the air, was another second Twilight was in the clutches of Chrysalis. Her mind raced with all the thoughts of what Chrysalis could be doing to her: Torturing her with magic, draining her own magic, or worse, draining all the love from Twilight reducing her to a crippled shell of a pony.

“I know you’re worried.” A hoof touched her shoulder and she looked back to see Celestia. “We all are.”

Sunset frowned and looked back to the clouds. “I don’t see how you’re so detached.”

She chuckled, “I already let my worries get the better of me earlier and now I’m focusing on the task at hand. It’s something you pick up after a couple hundred years.”

Sunset raised a gold plated hoof and stared at her reflection in it. She gulped and started slowly “But what if something has already happened to Twilight?”

Celestia went silent. Sunset looked back and saw the light pink alicorn with her gaze off to the side and her head lowered. After a few moments she spoke, “Whatever Chrysalis’s plans are, we will stop her and bring Twilight home.”

Sunset could tell see she was hiding her worry and fear. She was sure it was a thought on everyone’s minds at the moment, what if they were too late? Sunset cringed at the thought of something bad happening to Twilight and gripped the edge of the chariot. But Celestia’s words had some sense of comfort. They would save Twilight and Sunset would never let her go again. Another thought came into her mind.

“So what happens after this?”

“Pardon?” Celestia asked.

“To me. What are you going to do to me after we rescue Twilight?” She trailed off at the end.

There was a moment of silence then she draped a wing over Sunsets back. Sunset tensed up and looked to Celestia in confusion. “Ask me that again when we’re done here.”

“But-“

Celestia put a hoof up. “Steel yourself for now and focus on our objective. Worrying about what may come won’t aid you in battle.”

“Not knowing is worse,” Sunset frowned.

Celestia smiled, stifling giggles. For Sunset, it had been a very long time since Celestia had giggled at something she said. “Well, I can tell you one thing.”

“What’s that?” said Sunset.

“You and Twilight have much in common.”

Sunset blushed and looked back to the sky below her. Past the clouds, the terrain was rocky with any amount of vegetation growing smaller and smaller. The mountains crossing over to Equestria shrunk in the distance, the sun was high in the sky, but the clouds became thicker as they went. Sunset took note that it would most likely be darker on the battlefield. The chariots and pegasi behind them tightened up their formation and chariot buckled slightly as it started making its descent.

There was a gust of wind and water as they dropped through the thick clouds. Sunset wiped the moisture out of her mane and looked on ahead at the front of the chariot where the other girls were. Celestia stepped forward, taking point and lit her horn. Sunset was right, it was much darker under the cloud line. Visibility was lessened but she could still make out most of the objects in front of her, specifically the changeling fortress ahead of them. Celestia’s horn glowed brightly and a magical field enveloped them. The chariots around theirs disappeared.

“What in tarnation?” Applejack exclaimed.

Sunset looked around then at Celestia. “It’s illusion magic, the Princess is shrouding the other chariots to make them invisible.”

Luna nodded in conformation. “Precisely. The best tactic in battle is the element of surprise.”

The chariots continued their descent until they touched down on the wide cliffs overlooking the fortress. Celestia kept her horn lit and it shined brighter. As it did, the other chariots revealed themselves. She was extending the illusion spell over the entire attack force. Two divisions fanned out to other parts of the cliff face to set up the defensive positions. The other guards unloaded armaments from the chariots.

“Oh my,” Rarity spoke, “I don’t believe I’ve ever seen those before.”

“I would think not,” said Luna. “These are special magical arms from the times when King Sombra ruled the Crystal Empire.”

The earth pony guards heaved the armaments to the edges of the cliff face. Each stood on four legs with a large orb structure between them. It shined bright blue and on the end of it was a barrel that stretched out facing the stronghold. In the back, unicorns lined up in groups of three at each one. These arms lined the cliff face in all three locations as they were set up.

Luna stepped forward, conjuring a magical blade in front of her. “When Celestia drops the field, all arms focus your fire on their ground structures.” She turned to Sunset and the rest. “You will take the chariot down and find the tunnels. Celestia will redirect her magic to cover you.”

“You can count on us!” said Rainbow saluting. The others nodded including Sunset.

“All right.” She looked to Celestia and nodded. “Tia, on your signal.”

Celesta strained keeping up the illusion spell up and gave a quick nodded. “Three.” The girls readied themselves on the chariot. “Two.” Guards drew their blades and unicorns fed magic into the armaments. “One.” Sunset took a quick breath and readied herself for their inevitably bumpy trip.

“Attack!” Celestia yelled.

The illusion spell dropped over the three positions and fell over the girls chariot. The arms on the cliffs fired bright beams of blue energy at the changelings ground armaments. Explosions ripped through the changeling battlements and ground forces caught off guard by the sudden attack. Smoke rose as concentrated blasts of energy destroyed a line of changeling battlements. The changelings below responded by firing back up at the cliff face. Luna conjured a shield, deflecting them. Sunset gripped the chariot as Celestia levitated it and sent it flying down the cliff face. There was a mix of screams with a wahoo! from Pinkie Pie as the carriage descended and made a sharp incline before impacting with the ground. The magic around it dissipated, and the chariot rode the propulsion of gravity as it skidded across the ground.

The girls jumped off and ducked behind a nearby boulder. Applejack peared over and saw the changeling forces advancing towards the cliff face, which in turn, meant them as well.

“Ya’ll remember where that tunnel was?” She asked.

Pinkie Pie pulled a map out of her hair and unfolded it. “Here!”

“Those changelings will see us before we get there.” Rainbow frowned.

“Hold on.” Sunset interjected. “Everypony get behind me and stay close, Spike cover us.” She charged her horn with a cyan light and a magical aura descended upon the group. Sunset gritted her teeth and strained her neck as she stepped forward. “C’mon, I’m not sure how long this will hold.”

The group followed close to Sunset as they stepped out from behind the rock. The advancing changelings didn’t show any reaction of surprise or take notice towards them. They were completely invisible as they moved towards the point on the map. Sunset kept her breathing steady and her thoughts on the goal ahead of them. Illusion magic was normally not very difficult, but using it on a wider area of space put a strain on her, not to mention the artillery fire above didn’t create the best environment to concentrate. Ahead of them, they saw a couple changelings crawling out from large rock. As they exited, they pushed the rock over the hole and flew up towards the equestrian forces.

Once they were behind the rock, Sunset let out a hard breath, dropping the illusion spell. “Never… again.”

“Thank you, Sunset.” Said Fluttershy, gently rubbing her back. Sunset smiled through her panting and wiped sweat from her forehead.

Rainbow Dash tapped the rock. “How do we get it open?”

“Leave that to us,” said Applejack proudly. “Spike can ya lend a claw?” The dragon nodded and walked over to the bounder with her. They pressed their weight against it and with a heave, shoved it to the side revealing the tunnel network entrance. A changeling, having noticed the light entering the tunnel, popped its head out and hissed at the ponies and drake. Spike stomped his foot down on its skull sending it back down into the hole.

After a second there was a thud. “Hm,” Spike was then the first to jump down, landing with a thud. “All clear, it’s a short drop.”

The other ponies followed him down. The only light came from the eerie dark green walls and visibility was low. Sunset and Rarity shined lights with their horns down the tunnel. Ahead of them, it branched off into have a dozen paths with no clear indication as to where it may lead. Her ears dropped, they could spend hours down there looking but may take too long to find Twilight.

“We should split up!” Rainbow Dash said. “Meet you at the palace!” Before she could dash off, Applejack grabbed her tail.

“Ya remember what happened the last time we split up in changeling country?”

Rainbow Dash frowned. “Fine, then how do we figure out which way to go?”

“We don’t have time to wander around either.” Sunset rubbed her chin with a hoof. She noticed the changeling from before getting up rubbing its head. Immediately she seized it with her magic and pinned it to the wall.

The changeling hissed and glared at Sunset, trying to wiggle free from her telekinetic grip. “Grah! Let me go!”

“Not until you tell us which way the palace is!” Sunset growled.

The changeling kept squirming and laughed. “Ha! Even if I told you it wouldn’t help, only a changeling can find its way through these tunnels.”

“Then you will show us the way.” Sunset tightened her grip.

“Or else what?” The changeling smirked as Sunset’s expression darkened. “You’ll hurt me? No, you see…” It green glow covered its body and it took the image of Twilight. “I don’t think you will.”

Sunset growled and threw the changeling against the wall the adjourning wall. “I would, and for copying Twilight, I really would!” She fired a beam of magic, knocking it back to its normal form.

Applejack put a hoof on Sunset’s. “Settle down there, sugarcube. Leave em, we’ll find Twilight ourselves.”

She continued to glare at the now very frightened changeling and then dropped it to the ground. Applejack nodded to her and turned around bucking the changeling in the head with her back hooves, knocking it out. Sunset turned back to the paths ahead of them. “He said only a changeling can navigate through here, what do you think he meant?”

“Oh, um, I know.” Fluttershy spoke softly, the rest turned to her and she was hiding behind Spike. “Well, you see, changelings are like insects, they are all connected by a hive mind and can tell each other where to go based on the collective thoughts.”

Sunset rubbed her chin with a hoof. “Hive mind…”

“Maybe you can hive mind with Twilight, you're both unicorns after all.” Rainbow chuckled.

Rarity rubbed her forehead. “Unicorns don’t work like that, darling.”

“How do you know they don’t?” Rainbow countered.

“Wait… you might be onto something.” Sunset interrupted, causing everyone to turn and look at her. “Maybe if…” She closed her eyes and opened up her senses. She reached with her magic down the tunnel feeling her way through the ether of magic.


The changeling stronghold did not have the best accommodations for guests and most travelers would rate it as a one star on trot-advisor. For Twilight, her room was made up of a hard wooden bed, a couple dressers, and three tubs. Also, each unicorn guest was also given a clamp around their horn that prevented magical surges during rest at night. However, the wooden bed was upright and her hooves were bound against it. The dressers were filled with various tools for torture acts and the three tubs were each filled with bubbling liquids. The clamp around her horn prevented her from doing any magic.

Chrysalis had made sure Twilight was given the best accommodations she had to offer and ensured a constant high quality entertainment system. Well, entertaining for Chrysalis, not Twilight. Since Twilight was brought here, Chrysalis had used magic to shock her, boiling liquids to scorch her fur, and given her bruises by her own hooves. Twilight was able to endure most of the pain and pushed through the next bout of punishment. She couldn’t break in front of Chrysalis. Her ears had perked up when the attack started on the palace and she looked at Chrysalis with a confident grin.

“Give up now, Chrysalis.” Twilight smirked.

The changeling queen circled her, flicking her tail across Twilight’s chin. “Oh, but we’re having so much fun,” She came around and centered on Twilight’s gaze. “And they are fools to come face me.”

“My friends aren’t fools.” Twilight glared at her.

“Really now?” Chrysalis licked her lips and drew closer sniffing Twilight.

“Cut that out!”

“Mm~ All that love inside you, it smells delicious. How I could just eat you up!” She opened her maw flashing her large fangs. Twilight’s eyes widened and she turned her head looking away. Chrysalis closed her mouth and laughed. “They are fools if they actually believe they can save you.”

Twilight looked away staring at the wall. She had faith in her friends and the princesses but the odds were stacked against them in this case.

Twilight. There was a voice. Twilight turned her head from side to side. She recognized the voice. “Sunset?”

“What? That little mare you seem so fond of? Hm, she was actually fun to turn into. Maybe it was the bad girl vibe, or the look on your face when you fell for my ploy.” Chrysalis laughed.

Twilight I’m here! The voice said again and Twilight realized it was in her head. She didn’t know how she was hearing it but that voice still made her heart speed up. Where are you? Sunset’s voice asked.

“Oh Twilight~”

Twilight looked and saw Sunset standing next to her. Except it wasn’t Sunset, it was Chrysalis. Her eyes thinned and she closed them concentrating. Sunset, I’m here!

Sunset Chrysalis trotted close gently sniffing Twilight’s neck. Twilight craned her neck away, then snapped at her. She trotted around to the other side brushed her tail against Twilight’s side. Twilight cringed, biting her lip but kept her eyes shut.

We’re coming for you! Hang on!

But not too tight! A higher pitched voice said.

Wha?! Pinkie! How are you… oh nevermind. I’ll be there soon Twi.

Twilight opened her eyes and smiled and looked at Chrysalis triumphantly. “My friends are coming and will save me.” Sunset, Sunset is coming to save me.


Sunset opened her eyes and looked back. “I know how to get there. Let's go!” She raced off down the right path with the others in hot pursuit. Twilight is alive and that’s all that mattered to her.

Author's Note:

I meant to have done earlier but one of my friends came over for three days and we gamed playing: League of Legends, Skyrim, and SWTOR. Good times good times :moustache: So now I just finished this at 1 AM :pinkiecrazy: wahoo.... I need sleep. Anyway enjoy! Hopefully I'll have another chapter or two up before spring break is over! :twilightsheepish:

Proof Read/edited by: 1DATMLP