• Published 8th May 2012
  • 2,058 Views, 85 Comments

Harpflank and Sweets: Forced Introspection - Arcainum



The New Elements do some involuntary soul-searching.

  • ...
0
 85
 2,058

Going Under: Lyra

Lyra caught Rainbow Dash’s striking hoof between hers and used the pegasus’ momentum to throw her over her shoulder, slamming her toward the ground. Rainbow quickly twisted in Lyra’s grasp and, with a single powerful wingbeat, reversed her descent and dragged her into the air. Crying out in surprise, Lyra kicked up at her opponent, but Rainbow was too agile. She raced towards the gym’s high ceiling, shifting her weight so Lyra was above her, preparing to smash her into the padded surface.

Seconds before impact, however, Lyra’s horn glowed. Rainbow’s hooves were enveloped in a green nimbus and pulled from free from Lyra. A look of shock and frustration flashed across the speeding pegasus’ face as Lyra fell away, waving nonchalantly in midair before she landed lightly on the soft floor. Before she could recover, Rainbow had slammed into the ceiling face first, leaving a new dent in the sea of depressions that, on closer inspection, could be seen all around the room. She too fell, clutching her face, and Lyra caught her telekinetically, lowering her gently to the ground.

Rainbow sat up, rubbing her bruised nose as Lyra trotted over smugly. She glared at the preening unicorn standing over her, who grinned widely and expectantly.

“Oh, hey, you’re on the floor.”

“Yeah, I guess I am.”

Lyra’s grin widened.

“And that means...”

Rainbow crossed her forelegs and huffed.

“It means...”

Lyra leaned in closer.

“It meeeaaans...

Rainbow stood up and sighed. She hated it when this happened. Lyra was insufferable in victory.

“It means I lose.”

Lyra punched the air in triumph.

“Ha! Yes! Who's the mare? I'm the mare!”

Rainbow strode over to her and prodded her in the chest.

“Hey, it’s still only fifty-forty nine to you! We got a long way to go until a hundred.”

“I still hit fifty first.”

Rainbow waved her hoof dismissively.

“Eh. I’m going to bed. Vinyl really wants to weaponise the sonic rainboom somehow, and she’s got me doing tests all day tomorrow. That unicorn is wacko.”

She smiled, suddenly.

“Good session tonight, Lyra. Let’s do it again soon, huh?”

Lyra grinned again, and raised her hoof for a bump. Rainbow returned the gesture.

“Yeah, good match. You better win next time.”

As Rainbow Dash trotted out of the gym, yawning, Lyra began the arduous process of cleaning up after their mock battle. HQ had cleaners, but leaving the twisted metal wreckage of the exercise machines just lying around always made her feel a little callous.

As she reached for a mangled spar, something in the air, just a feeling, made her coat bristle. She span swiftly around, scanning the room.

“Who’s there?!”

She jumped as she felt the faintest touch on all four of her hooves, and the voice enveloped her.

“You love to win, Lyra. But what if the only way to win... is to lose?”