• Published 8th May 2012
  • 2,058 Views, 85 Comments

Harpflank and Sweets: Forced Introspection - Arcainum



The New Elements do some involuntary soul-searching.

  • ...
0
 85
 2,058

Breaking The Surface: The Great and Powerful Trixie

“Hmph.”

Discord cocked an ear mockingly and beckoned Trixie to say more.

“I’ll admit that, at times, I have had... doubts. My Lady’s cause, M.A.R.E’s chances of victory... my own talents.”

Do go on.”

Trixie glanced at the hat Discord was casually spinning around one claw.

“First, I would like my hat back.”

“Nope.”

“My hat, Discord.”

“Nah.”

My hat.

The hat vanished from Discord’s grip in a blue flash and reappeared on Trixie’s head, where she adjusted it self-consciously. Discord gave her an infuriating smile, receiving a toss of her mane in response.

“So, yes, you’re right there. I have doubts. But if you think that having doubts makes me any less of a pony...” She scoffed. “You are sorely mistaken.”

Trixie began pacing back and forth as she spoke, her voice slipping into the smooth, practised tones of her showmare past.

“You see, Discord, it is my doubts that have driven me! Am I the pony I think I am? No? Then I shall become her! A worm on the throne, as you say, is just a worm in a funny hat.”

She spun on her heels with a flourish and shot Discord a withering glance.

“But what if the worm is a great ruler? Then the worm is no longer just wearing a funny hat, she is a queen! A mare of power, influence and, dare I say it, beauty! She is, in short, the Grrreat and Powerful Trixie!”

As she finished, crackling magical fireworks erupted at her hooves, the grandest finale she could conjure in the void.

Discord stared at her, then shrugged.

“Mix whatever metaphor you want. Delusion only lasts so long.”

~

Trixie awoke to find her vision filled with the terrified face of Twilight Sparkle. Yelping in surprise, she pushed her pupil away and leapt to her hooves.

“Ah, refreshing! Nothing like a power-nap to break up research!”

She stopped as she saw Twilight’s expression.

"What... what is it?”

“Trixie, I just saw all the colour drain out of you.”

“Oh, come now, I may have had a mildly disturbing dream, but-”

Twilight shook her head as Trixie laughed.

“No, I mean the actual colour. It was like... like the life was gone from you.”

Trixie looked down at herself in confusion. Her coat was the same blue it had always been. She shook her head.

“We shall discuss this later. You really need to see what’s in this book...”