• Published 22nd Feb 2015
  • 1,496 Views, 82 Comments

Lessons in quirks - Mike84



When a student from Fillydelphia appears in Ponyville to continue his studies on the field of cutie marks there at the recommendation of Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle and her friends are in for another adventure.

  • ...
5
 82
 1,496

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter LV

"Oh my goodness! Princess Luna!"
The call came from Fluttershy who appeared in the door of her cottage and bowed low at the sight of the Princess of the Night.
Everypony, including Rainbow Dash who had just been released by her guard, followed Fluttershy's example. Pinkie Pie and Rarity hastened with their displays of reverence as much as etiquette permitted and hurried to catch up to the others.
Princess Luna let her stern look wander over everyone present, but didn't tarry long.
"We have followed the call of the dragon...", she announced with her booming voice, "...and none too soon it seemeth. Tell, us why doest thou attack my guards?!"
Not even Rainbow Dash could remain unintimidated under the glare of the Princess of the Night, fell back a few steps without raising her head again and unable to give a clear response.
"Call of the dragon...?" Fluttershy squeaked, looking up at the sky.
The others too were alarmed and wondering what kind of obscure, archaic calling the princess was referring to.

Spike jumped from Rarity's back and rushed a few steps towards the princess. He too took a deep and hasty bow, but he seemed much less stunned by Princess Luna's appearance than all the others.
"Thank you for coming here so quickly, Princess Luna!" he said. "I wrote you after Twilight, Rainbow and Pinkie left me in the library."
The explanation was clearly directed at everypony else since Princess Luna was of course aware of the short but urgent letter she had received.

"Oh... our dragon's call!" Pinkie Pie sighed with relief.
"I don't know if I got everything right, but it seems a pony of your guard was trying to kill Mr. Blanket and Twilight is now pursuing him in Everfree Forest", Spike continued hastily.
"Oh my goodness!" called Fluttershy, who was less aware of and more shocked about the recent developments than anypony else.
"Nopony of my guard was here! Nopony of my guard would try to kill any subjects! 'Tis a lie!" Princess Luna shouted enraged.

"A misunderstanding, Your Highness", Frank piped up. "A deception. The attacker did come in the shape of a guard in your service. Rainbow Dash confused your guard with that attacker."
"Why were you attacked, Frank Blanket?" the princess demanded to know.
"Because... I acquired knowledge about the nature of the attacker and foolishly revealed so to the attacker itself as it appeared in a different shape. It wanted to kill me lest I reveal its identity."
"Stop being cryptic, Frank, and reveal already!" Rainbow Dash shouted but was silenced by another stern look from Princess Luna.

"Thou speakest of shapes and callest the attacker it. Doest thou speak of a changeling?"
"Yes, but more. A kind of changeling which among their kind is as rare as alicorns are among ponies. There's so little time to explain and Princess Twilight—"
"I know what thou speakest off."
"You... do?" Frank looked perplexed. "How...?"
Princess Luna gave him a look that seemed to instill an understanding in him.
"Oh...", was all Frank said and he evaded her eyes.
"We shall then take on this fiend and—"

"No!" Frank shouted and at the same moment flinched at the own audacity towards the princess he had interrupted and who now pierced him with her eyes.
"Your Highness, I know now what it takes to take on this fiend and you are..."
He was looking mortified while the look of the princess became icy.
"Thou thinkest thou hast what it takes?"
Frank's face hardened and he stared back into the eyes of the princess.
"If I do not succeed, the less the loss to everypony, if too successful much less the threat. But I can succeed!"
Princess Luna nodded very slowly and for the first time since she had appeared, her stern demeanor showed cracks.

"Time is shorter than you all know", she said. "As we descended from Canterlot, we spotted fires in the forest!"
Everyone gasped and Rainbow Dash flung herself higher up into the air.
"Fire!", she said. "Fire in Everfree Forest!" she shouted.
"Come down!" Princess Luna ordered.
She cast a look at Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom: "You two, sound the alarm in Ponyville! The subjects must know of the threat. Everypony is to get out of the way of harm that may come from the forest and seek shelter on the far side of the river. Only those capable of contributing to fighting fire and deterring what may come from the forest are to assemble on the green. Understood?"
"Yes!" Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom said in unison, whirled around and rushed back towards Ponyville.

"Captain Crescent", The guard Rainbow Dash had tackled sprang to attention. "You guard the bridge! The others are to line up along the other side of the brook. Keep watch for what comes out of the forest and keep it from the town. 'Tis will be be a night's work to remember!"
Captain Crescent and the other three guards did as they were told to.
"Fluttershy?"
Fluttershy squeaked at being so unexpectedly singled out by the princess. Luna's tone however was much less commanding and much gentler when she said: "I beg you to stay by my side. Your understanding of the woodland creatures and your kindness may prove invaluable tonight."
Fluttershy nodded nervously.
"You other Elements of Harmony, do what deems you best... kindness and harmony may not be all it takes tonight."

Frank turned towards the forest and Applejack, Rainbow Dash, Rarity and Pinkie Pie were immediately with him. None of them looked at ease though. The news of the fire had turned the prospect of going into Everfree Forest at night from very precarious to insanely perilous.
Spike too rushed to their side.
"Spikey-wikey!" Rarity protested. "Stay here!"
"I'm coming with you!" Spike said determinedly.
"Oh no, you don't!" Applejack said. "There's fire in the wood, Spike! Twilight would never—"
"And Twilight is in there!" Spike snapped. "I am a flame-breathing dragon! Who of us do you think will fare better in fire?"
Everypony stared at him in surprise.
"And also you won't be able to contact the princesses or receive messages from them unless I am with you!"
Without another word, Applejack grabbed Spike and put him on her back.
"Hurry!" Princess Luna said and the group set in motion. "Celestia be with you!"
There was an indeterminable howl from somewhere deep in the forest. Princess Luna cast a look at the sky and mumbled: "You hear that, sister mine? We really need your help down here!"

Author's Note:

Last edited on December 17th 2015.

PreviousChapters Next