• Published 7th May 2012
  • 3,112 Views, 26 Comments

Spike The Time Traveler - FlashFoward



Spike is called upon by Tick to travel into his friends future and past.

  • ...
1
 26
 3,112

Twilight's Future and Spikes Dread

Spike woke up in the morning the next day. Twilight has yet to wake up which is never new. So following his usual routine he walked into the kitchen cooking breakfast for Twilight and himself. In the middle of cooking Twilight came wobbling down the stairs and got all wide eyed when she saw Spike cooking.

“When did you get here?” Twilight asked bewildered on how Spike even came home without waking her up. She had set a spell around the house that sets off an alarm when someone sneaks on the house at the night time. Spike wonders to this day why she even bothered with this but it is all for the name of safety he guessed.

“Magic.” Spike replied.

“Don’t be silly you’re not a unicorn.” Twilight retorted.

“Very true but I did get here by magic.” Spike smiled mischievously.

Twilight couldn’t wrap her head around this. Spike was a dragon not a unicorn she was sure of that. Maybe Time Smith had something to do with Spike’s appearance. But Time had to be very powerful to smuggle Spike in the house without tripping off the spell. Twilight sat down near a desk and started skimming through pages of a random book. Spike felt satisfied with Twilights actions. He had beaten her in an argument which was a rare achievement. As Spike was cooking breakfast he realized something. This was the perfect chance to investigate on Twilight. All he had to do was smuggle the watches magic in her orange juice and she would never notice the difference. Grabbing Ticks watch he realized there was a flaw in his plan. He still never figured out how to draw out the power of the watch and manifest it into something else. Spike rubbed the watch in his palms absent mindedly and he felt a burning sensation. Looking down at his hands he realized that his claws were glowing blue. Was this the magic the watch? Sure looked like the same thing in Tick’s hourglass back at Canterlot. With some hesitation he waved his hand over the glass of orange juice. The magic dripped from his hand like water and fell into the orange juice. Spike examined the cup for a bit and it looked normal to him.

Handing Twilight a dandelion sandwich and the spiked orange juice Spike sat on the other side of her desk nervously nibbling at his gems that was for him. Twilight ate her breakfast calmly. After she was done she said thanks to Spike and continued with her studying.

“I’m going to walk around town for a bit you don’t mind?” Spike called to Twilight.

She just waved her hoof at him. He took this as a sign to go. As he walked out the door he checked the watch. He noticed how the purple button had turned a lighter shade. It somewhat resembled the fur on Twilight. Taking this that Spike had the magic make contact with Twilight he pressed the button with zero hesitation. Suddenly his surroundings stopped. Spike was baffled by this sudden change around him. No one moved and there was no sound of the town’s people chatter, birds chirping and the rustling of the leaves. Nope, there was nothing going on. Spike checked the watch and remembered that he had to turn the arrows of the watch to suggest if he wanted to go into the future of Twilight or past. Spike wanted to see the future mainly since he knew a whole bunch about Twilights childhood already. Winding the arrow forward he heard a rushing sounds pressing against his ears. It was like his skull was getting smashed in between to walls. Just as the pressure started it stopped. Spike looked around at his surroundings and realized that this was Ponyville…well sort of. For one thing the buildings were much taller and it seemed like Ponyville had become a miniature version of Manehattan. Spike walked around and saw a pony that looked like Applejack. Walking closer to her he was in shock on how much older she looked. True, it was nothing like Granny Smith but she was easily in her late 30’s now. Her hat and warm green eyes stayed the same though. As Spike was trying to digest AJ’s new appearance he noticed AJ was waiting outside Fluttershy’s house. Time and age didn’t seem to exist to this part of Ponyville. It still had its lush green pastures and wildlife (which Spike guessed was still being supported by Fluttershy) unlike the rest of the city that grew more industrial.

“Fluttershy you ready? That new plow is no use when it’s just sitting around.” Applejack called out.

The front door of Fluttershy’s house cracked open slowly. Applejack started stomping her hooves down on the ground impatiently.

“Come on Fluttershy! I don’t have time for your dilly dallies!” Applejack snapped angrily.

There was a small squeak sounds and a pink mane slipped behind the door and the door slammed shortly after. Spike smiled to himself. Considering how everything changed in Ponyville his friends remained the same. It made him feel a little more secure at this point. Sure, holding onto old memories was feeble but it just made him feel happier. Applejack seemed angry but Spike knew that she had no intention of leaving Fluttershy behind.

“Well, I guess I’ll be going on about my business see ya round Fluttershy.” AJ said in a slow voice. Spike wasn’t dumb, he saw past this clever ruse by AJ. Fluttershy hated letting people down and AJ was trying to say the right things to push her buttons.

“Wait!” a scared whisper came from behind the door.

Fluttershy came out from her house. Spike was in shock on how young Fluttershy looked. Compared to Applejack she defied age, she looked the same as the modern day Fluttershy he knew just a little taller though. She looked like she would not like anything more than to run back home and hide under a pillow. But she came up to AJ and the chatted while Spike’s mind drifted from the conversation.

“This has nothing to do with Twilight. I don’t get why I am watching AJ and Fluttershy.” Spike spoke to the watch. It sparked violently and the atmosphere around Spike started to shift and deform around him then reassembled into a library.

Yep, this was Twilights house without a doubt. Books everywhere and a familiar purple pony sitting behind a desk stacked with books. It felt like Spike never left Twilight while he went outside. Spike walked closer to Twilight and realized what she was using as a pillow. It was a diagram on the town’s expansion and possible new buildings to be added to the town. He had to admit from what he was reading it was really going to help the town. New hospitals, parks, schools, and what looked like a large plow on wheels (probably for the Apple family). Then it hit Spike, Twilights future was going to be assisting the town in becoming more efficient, modern, and all together better. AJ mentioned something about a plow. Was it possible the plow in the diagram was what Applejack was talking about?

“Well I guess that explains what Twilight will be doing in the future but what did Fluttershy have to do with-“Spike wondered when the watch sparked violently again and cut off Spike in midsentence. Spike had a weightless feeling and suddenly flew right through the walls off the tree house and off to Sweet Apple Acres. Spike yelled out as he flew over the pastures of the acres.

“Hey what’s the big idea?” Spike yelled angrily at the watch.

The watch sparked again and sent Spike in a nose dive straight to a large ox pulling an even larger plow. It all made sense now Spike thought. Fluttershy was great with animals and obviously the ox was stronger then Big Macintosh.

“Oh, well I um...my bad.” Spike finished lamely to the watch.

Spike was settled down to the ground and the feeling of weightlessness vanished. If that’s what Rainbow Dash had to go through whenever she flew he had a totally new respect for her. Flying wasn’t exactly his cup of tea. As nice as it was to see Twilight become so useful to the town the feeling of the inevitable started crawling at his scales. It was time to see the death of his closest friend, which he considered her a sister, all for the sake of Tick’s studies. For a moment Spike felt like abandoning the task. He felt watching his friend’s death wouldn’t sit well with him. Toughing it out was the only option now, Tick needed the date on Twilights death, after all he is a dragon which are notorious for being tough creatures.

“I’m ready” Spike whispered to the watch while slowly turning the arrows of the watch forward until it stopped suddenly.

Again, the Spike’s surrounding became distorted and blurred has he passed through time. He could faintly here chatter and crying but as it all started it ended. Taking a look at his new surroundings Spike wasn’t all that sure if this was Ponyville. Deciding it was pointless to stand around looking around and listening into people’s conversations might help him get an idea on where he was. It must be night time; Spike barely knew where he was going.

“AJ did you hear about Twilight?” came a voice.

“No, why?” came another voice in response.

Spike knew this is a conversation he had to listen to. Walking to the chatter he noticed the conversation grew more grave and saddening.

“No, it can’t be! She was just fine a few days ago when I went to see here at her house!” said a voice nervously.

“I know, gave her some cupcakes a few days ago.” replied the voice.

Spikes heart stopped. Cupcakes were usually associated with…Pinkie Pie.

“Well, does Spike know?” asked the voice shakily

“Oh he does, but he prefers to say it’s not true and say people are lying to him” said Pinkie sadly

“Why is he denying it? You can’t hide from the truth forever!” snapped the other voice impatiently

“Spike and Twilight knew each other from childhood. They considered each other brother and sister. How would you feel if Big Mac or Applebloom died?” retorted Pinkie

There was no response. Spikes mind was racing rapidly now. AJ and Pinkie were talking about Twi’s death and about how badly his futuristic self is taking it. He felt miserable at this point but also slightly happy that Pinkie, AJ, Big Mac, and Applebloom were still alive at this time. AJ seemed to regain her comeback because he heard her voice again.

“Granny died a few years back…” recalled AJ.

It was time for Pinkie to go into silence. Spike stomach started forming knots. Granny Smith died? Okay, yes she was old but even for the little old lady she was Granny ran the farm with an iron hoof. Spike noticed that the sun was starting to rise. At last, Spike finally was able to get a good idea on where he was. He was standing near the door way to the Apple Family’s house, which was stationed at Sweet Apple Acres, which looked a lot larger than it does in Spikes time. The house looked as if there was about two or three floors added. “Why is all that room needed anyway? Spike thought to himself.

“Well, Pinkie it’s time to start work. You mind helping my wake up the young ones?” Applejack asked, eyeing the sunset.

Pinkie obeyed without saying a word and Spike followed the two mares. It became clear to Spike that Pinkie was obviously not her usual self. Her mane was not frizzed it was just flat and dull. Spike recalled Pinkie hair getting like this when she felt upset that her friends were ignoring her invitations to a party, even when they were trying to get a party set for her own birthday. Spike was in shock to see a small colt and foal sleeping soundly in their beds.

“Up and at em lazy bones you sleep on your own time!” AJ commanded.

Moans of complaint answered her command.

“I’ll make you some cupcakes if you do your chores!” Pinkie declared.

“Pinkie I think it’s too early for…“ AJ started and was cut off by the two young pony’s running past her to rush off to the farm to work.

“Sweets…” Applejack finished lamely.

“Whelp, that’s one way to get em moving.” Applejack shrugged.

Spike watched AJ and Pinkie walk down stairs, probably heading outside to watch over the two younger ponies. Who were they anyway? Where they AJ grandkids or something? Spike thought to himself. They looked a little bit like her but not by much so maybe they were her grandkids. Pinkie was holding up alright and so was AJ except for a few wrinkles here and they looked alright. The watched sparked violently again. Spike knew the watch was going to take him to the funeral of Twilight and for once he felt prepared. Yet again, they feeling of his skull being squashed were evident but ended just as quick as it started, as usual. Tick never seemed the least bit phased by the constant travel of time and Spike envied him for that. Spike noticed there was row after rows of chairs in this room. At the head of the room Spike noticed there was a coffin, which he guessed carried Twilight, it looked rather small but looked elegant with its white paint and looked simple all at the same time. It was a fitting resting place for his sister. Walking down the aisle Spike noticed that Princess Celestia, Luna, and Tick where stationed near the front row. Spike felt like Tick was able to see him when he walked by Ticks row. After all, Tick is the Time Smith Spike wouldn’t put it past him if Tick could see him.

When Spike got near the back is when pony’s started filing in. It looked like the entire world of Equestria was there to say there farewells to Twilight. There was an absence of Rainbow Dash and Rarity at the service which put Spike at unease. Either they were ill or worse off. Spike saw his future self walk into the room. The future Spike was tall, lean, and had a longer snout but other than that looked like he did. There was no sign of a mustache which kind of let Spike down and also brought a nostalgic memory of Twilight giving him a fake mustache for a bit. Spike giggled to himself, not realizing that the service was well underway by now.

There were many creatures and pony’s giving there thanks and blessings to Twilight and her family. What looked like her children, grandchildren, and the future Spike sat at the very front row near the Princesses and Tick. Spike felt a sudden surge of pride grow in him. Twilight’s family was under his watchful eye when she was gone. This was such an honor to him.

“She was 87 when she passed away. In those 87 years she has helped many creatures, big and small, with their lives and also helped Ponyville prosper. We owe her are deepest gratitude.” Celestia said, a tear running down her eye when talking.

Spike felt miserable but also accomplished. He had found out the year when Twilight died, what she did later on, and what she influenced. Celestia also saved him the time of traveling into Twilights past since she went into full detail of Twilights childhood .There was no need for him to endure through the rest of the service. Spike took out the watch and wound back the arrows in the watch until he heard a click. The familiar sensation of his head being crushed returned but it wasn’t long until Spike knew he was back in present day Ponyville. Pressing on the purple button time continued as he left it. All that time spent running around in Twilights future and it was still morning in the present day. Spike felt like taking a nap but knew Twilight would not allow such a thing, not when there were chores to be done. Slowly, Spike walked back into the library fully expecting Twilight to give him a week’s worth of chores to do and expecting him to do it in a few days. That is the price to pay of being her number one assistant and to be honest it was worth it in his eyes more so than ever before.