• Published 7th May 2012
  • 3,112 Views, 26 Comments

Spike The Time Traveler - FlashFoward



Spike is called upon by Tick to travel into his friends future and past.

  • ...
1
 26
 3,112

Company

The one thing Spike hated more dearly about waking up in the morning was this. He always woke up before Twilight. That meant he had to make breakfast every day, there was this one time that Twilight did make breakfast but it was a disaster, and usually having to sort out the shelves, only to have Twilight take out books to read during breakfast. Twilight might have been the eldest in the house, but Spike doubted that if he existed, Twilight would be totally at loss without him. However, the usual morning ritual was a tad different this time around. It was more tense, to the point where the very air its self-felt heavy. Twilight wasn’t oblivious to the sudden tension though.

“Spike, is there something wrong?” Twilight asked, obviously concerned that her number one assistant wasn’t in his usual happy mood.

“I’ve been meaning to ask you what happened back at Pinkie’s party after you knocked me out. And as to why you didn't visit me when I was in the hospital” Spike replied, more seriously then he would have liked.

Twilight’s ears dropped at the question and she wasn’t sure if she was willing to tell the truth. But lying to Spike about this felt…wrong.

“You see, Rarity and Rainbow Dash got in a fight. And I felt guilty if I went to visit you, after all I was the reason why you were there in the first place.” Twilight finally answered slowly.

“Fight as in argument or actual hitting?” Spike asked, wanting to clear up any confusion. He also didn't want to push the subject of the hospital visit anymore. It was easy to see that Twilight was scared of seeing him after she was the one who froze him. She felt sorry and probably made her self sick with worry.

Twilight’s face looked more sad and upset then it did a few seconds ago and Spike regretted even asking. But, curiosity is a killer and Spike wanted answers.

“Got that bad huh? Well, what could’ve it have been about?” Spike questioned.

“It was about you.” Twilight said in a barely there whisper.

Spike heart grew heavy at this information. It was his fault his friends were at each other’s throats. Even if Rarity felt rather distant and cold to Spike at this point, she was still a friend nonetheless. What really worried Spike about all this is that Rainbow was willing to fight with her friends for his sake. Even before things got as complicated as it did a few days ago, she was defensive of him. If Twilight had come to Spike’s defense it wouldn’t have bugged him so bad, because Twilight was practically like his big sister.

“Spike, it’s not your fault.” Twilight pleaded sadly.

“Maybe it is, and maybe it isn’t. All I know is that things have been getting complicated for me lately.” Spike groaned.

“Don’t worry Spike! Everything will work out on its own!” Twilight said, obviously trying to put a positive spin on things. She wrapped Spike in a comforting hug.

Only if she knew what I have seen, maybe then she’ll realize how bad I really feel.

“Thanks Twilight. If you don’t mind, I need to collect some new quills and parchment for you.” Spike said, trying to have an excuse to leave the library.

“Yeah, mind also grabbing some ink?” Twilight suggested.

“Ink…didn’t I just get you some a few days ago?” Spike asked in surprise. It was one thing for Twilight to go through ink since she wrote so many notes and letters to Celestia…but that fast?

“I’ve been writing a lot that’s all. Studying and taking notes eats up a lot of ink you know.” Twilight said dismissively.

“You’re a bad liar.” Spike noted.

“I am not lying.” Twilight shrugged off.

“You been writing nonstop for the last few days and been using the local mail office to deliver letters.” Spike pointed out.

Twilight gulped nervously as Spike put two and two together.

“After all, I am the only one capable of giving and receiving letters from Celestia. Either you been thinking I needed a break
from just sending letters…or those letters are a lot more than just “letters”.” Spike finished with a devious grin.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” Twilight said, nerves etching her voice.

Spike brought his face closer to Twilight’s “I don’t buy it for one second. You’re hiding something.”

“Oh wow, look at the time! The shops should be opening up soon!” Twilight said quickly.

The last thing Spike saw before Twilight teleported him downtown was her horn glowing and he tried to say “You’re just going to kick me out like that?”

Apparently she can.

“You forgot to give me money!” Spike yelled out.

With a loud crack, fifty bits appeared in front of Spike.

“Thanks!” Spike called out.

Spike was happy he didn’t have to contend with bartering for the things he needed to get for Twilight. The shop owner saw Spike as such a regular customer that Spike would actually receive discounts. The last time he had to barter with someone was for a very fancy emerald, which Spike didn’t get. Spike recalled how he had to point out how flawed the emerald was, but the stallion selling the emerald just wouldn’t budge. It was probably rude to call out the flaws, but hey that’s the deal with bartering.

After collecting Twilight’s parchment and such, Spike decided to walk over to Sugar Cube Corner, hoping he could buy something to snack on. It was busy as always and Spike even considered leaving to head back to the library. That is, until Pinkie Pie spotted Spike.

“Hey Spike!” Pinkie called out to the purple dragon.

“I see you’re busy as ever.” Spike replied, with a bemused smile.

“Here take this.” Pinkie handed Spike a bag filled with who knows what “Little treat that I have been trying to give to you for a while.”

“Oh wow, thanks Pinkie!” Spike said, obviously taken aback by Pinkie’s kind gesture.

“Sorry Spike, but duty calls.” Pinkie said quickly before returning her attention to the other customers.
Spike walked outside and took a seat at one of the tables outside Sugar Cube Corner. Leaving the bag filled with Twilights supplies on the floor, Spike made his attention focused on the bag Pinkie gave him. There was nothing fancy with it, looked like a normal plastic bag. Opening the bag with great caution, Spike waited for something to pop out of the bag. Nothing happened. Testing his luck, Spike probed his hand in the bag and quickly took it back out. Nothing happened to his hand.

“Guess it’s safe.” Spike shrugged, taking a bite out of the first cupcake that he grabbed from the bag.

Man, was that a mistake.

The cupcake oozed all sorts of jellies of different colors after Spike took a bite out of it. It was odd, to say the least, the cupcake looked like it was bleeding a rainbow from the bite marks Spike left on it. The taste the cupcake had was also an interesting taste though, it tasted like electricity its self and the sensation it gave through Spike’s spine and tongue was ticklish rather then painful. Not daring to take another bite, Spike checked the bag Pinkie gave him for a note, hopefully explaining the nature of the cupcake. Sure enough, there was a note buried underneath more of the rainbow cupcakes.

The cupcake that has a rainbow jelly filled center is called The Oozing Rainbow (get it?). The jam is made from The Apple Family’s famous Zap Apples!

Spike eyed the rainbow cupcake with interest, rather with paranoia, now. Taking a bite out of it again, Spike savored the odd taste the cupcake supplied. Maybe, if he was lucky, there would be time later on to ask Pinkie Pie for more of these Oozing Rainbow cupcakes because Spike felt like he could eat these things forever. However, three little fillies brought Spike from his tasting dreamland though.

“Spike, what are you eating?” Scootaloo asked, eyeing the rainbow colored cupcake.

“Some experimental cupcake Pinkie made.” Spike shrugged before taking another bite out of the cupcake again.

“Is it any good?” Sweetie Bell asked in wonder.

“Course it should be! That’s Zap Apple jam in there, aren’t I right?” Applebloom interjected.

“That you are.” Spike replied.

“What’s in the bag?” Scootaloo asked, eyeing the bag on the floor near Spike’s chair.

“Eh, bunch of supplies that Twilight needs” Spike shrugged, taking another bite out of the rainbow cupcake again.

“I really need to ask AJ for Zap Apple Jam when I have the time.” Spike mumbled, more to himself then to the fillies.

“Why would Twilight need a pocket watch? You would think she would know a spell that can tell her time.” Applebloom asked, holding onto the pocket watch Tick gave to Spike.

Spike nearly choked on his rainbow cupcake when Applebloom asked this “How did you find that?”

“It was in the bag.” Applebloom answered promptly.

“Mind giving it back?” Spike asked, trying hard to not to sounds too pushy. Last thing he wanted to do was give the girls a reason to leave with the watch.

“What do you think Crusaders? Give Spike his old watch back?” Scootaloo asked her friends.

“Why would you want such a thing anyway? It looks kinda old and beat.” Sweetie Bell pointed out.

“It has some sentimental value to me. Now hand it back.” Spike replied.

“Or else.” Spike added, trying to sounds as evil and twisted as he said this.

“Or else what Spike?” Applebloom challenged.

“I will show you the horrors the watch holds.” Spike said with a frown.

“Horrors, you say? Is it ghost?” Scootaloo asked in a panicky voice.

“Ghost are fake!” Sweetie Bell cut in.

“How do you know?” Scootaloo retaliated.

“How would a ghost fit in that little thing?” Sweetie Bell countered.

“You’re lying Spike.” Applebloom said.

“Alright, the watch has nothing scary like that in it. But, it can do something that will freak you out nonetheless.” Spike said, in a grave voice.

“Come on Spike, tell us!” Scootaloo begged. The crusaders looked at Spike with their adorable puppy eyes.

“Sheesh, fine, I’ll give in.” Spike groaned. He had to admit, cuteness overload was his weakness.

“Sucker.” Scootaloo snickered into her friends ears.

“It gives me the power to time travel.” Spike finally revealed.

“You’re kidding.” Applebloom said in awe.

“Nope, I am not.” Spike replied with a smirk.

“Are you a wizard?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“You say ghost don’t exist, but you say wizards DO!?” Scootaloo said, angry that her friend was a bit of a hypocrite.
Spike ignored Scootaloo’s outburst. “No, I am no wizard. But I did get the watch from an Alicorn. His title is Time Smith. He told me to call him Tick though.”

“Time Smith, we are learning about him in school!” Applebloom said enthusiastically.

“Are you now?” Spike said in surprise, he didn’t know that the suitors of the role Time Smith were studied on.

“Yeah, so far we learned that Time Smith is the keeper of well time and is as old as time its self!” Sweetie Bell noted.

“That he is. He writes all about time on many different books to. And the role “Time Smith” is as old as time its self but not the actual pony.” Spike said, recalling all the books Tick filled in about what goes on in the modern day and possible future events.

“So, you’re saying he is like Twilight?” Scootaloo groaned.

“Nah, he likes jokes and isn’t so crazy about books. In fact, he uses magic to have the books in his studies keep track of themselves.” Spike recalled. How much Spike would love it if Twilight could magic books to care for its self. No more will he have to arrange a book. He could see it now, books parading all over the library and neatly arranging themselves whenever Twilight would remove them from their proper spot.

“Can you show us?” Applebloom suddenly asked.

“Show you what?” Spike asked in surprise.

“Time traveling!” The crusaders said in unison.

“I’d prefer if I wouldn’t.” Spike started to mumble but was cut short by the whining and pleading of the crusaders.

“Come on Spike!” Applebloom pleaded.

“We will be good!” Sweetie Bell whined.

“We need to see our cutie marks Spike!” Scootaloo groaned.

“Fine, just your cutie marks. You got that?” Spike said, trying to make is point clear.

“Yep.” The crusaders responded in unison.

“Good. Now, who do we start with?” Spike asked in a business man like fashion.

“Me” The crusaders said in unison again. They all glared at each other and Spike could sense a big fight happening just to see who goes first.

“Forget it, before you hit each other, Applebloom you’re first.” Spike said forcefully.

“Why can’t all three of us do it at once?” Scootaloo demanded.

“Simple, the pocket watch only registers one timeline at a time. Have three going at once and everything will probably be overlapping.” Spike dismissed.

“So, why does Applebloom go first again?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Looks like even being related to his crush won’t give you any favors.” Scootaloo teased. Spike acted oblivious to her comment, the less he had to hear about Rarity the better.

“I think Applebloom is the strongest in the group of yours and will easily win the fight anyway.” Spike shrugged.

“Are you calling me weak?” Scootaloo demanded, raising her hooves ready for a fight.

“No, but Applebloom is raised on a farm and works along with AJ and Mac when they start bucking trees. Dunno about you, but I like were my knees caps are at right now.” Spike replied simply.

Spike looked at the pocket watch and noticed the button to start the time travel looked like Applebloom’s fur already. Grabbing the watch from her, Spike started to turn that hands of time forward just enough for maybe a few years at best. The last thing Spike wanted them to see was their own ends.

“Okay, grab a hold of my arm.” Spike offered his left arm for the Crusaders to grab, which they did. “One last thing, expect to feel like your body is being crushed and maybe jammed through a REALLY skinny tube.”

“You act like its normal.” Scootaloo said in surprise.

“I got used to it overtime. And if anything dangerous happens, it won’t hurt you.” Spike also noted, the girls like scared at this knowledge but it didn’t bother Spike much.

Spike froze time with a single click, instantly causing his surroundings to freeze still. The young fillies were surprised to see everything so still and quiet.

“Don’t get so comfortable. We are just starting.” Spike said with a grin.
With one last click of the yellow button, the Cutie Mark Crusader and Spike vanished from the still Sugar Cube Corner. Spike left his unfinished rainbow cupcake on the table, the oozing Zap Apple jam not moving an inch since Spike froze time.