• Published 18th May 2012
  • 12,416 Views, 1,757 Comments

Death Battle: Equestria - RLYoshi



Death Battle with ponies. Characters are researched, then pitted against each other in fights to the death, with pacifistic tendencies removed. Who would win in an Equestrian Death Battle?

  • ...
54
 1,757
 12,416

PreviousChapters Next
Tournament Battle 5: Hunger Pains VS Marr Bell

Arrell charged into the room, startling Yah-Shee. "We better get the next battle going! We've been out of commission for too long!"

"Audience getting unruly?" Yah asked, closing his book on earthquakes and putting it aside.

"Yep." The pegasus sat at his microphone. The other host did the same, and within seconds, they were going again.

Apologies for the delay. We hope to have the tournament moving along at a proper pace from now on, Yah-Shee apologized.

For our next battle, we've got a battle of the monsters; things with stories that'd keep fillies awake at night and make colts wet the bed!

We have Hunger Pains, the cannibalistic earth pony...

...and Marr Bell, the thirty-foot gorgon!

I'm Yah-Shee and he's Arrell, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win an Equestrian Death Battle.


Hunger Pains

Real name unknown
Species: Earth pony
Occupation: Custodian for the Autumn Tower
Capable of eating anything
Can heal from eating
Extremely durable, though still reacts to pain

Born long ago under a name other than what he goes by now, Hunger Pains is an earth pony stallion who has been cursed to roam the floors of the Autumn Tower as a Custodian, devouring the dead bodies of those who enter and are killed by the traps and monsters within.

What the hell? If that's what a custodian does, I'd hate to see what the rest of the faculty have to do!

Back before he was cursed, Hunger Pains lived an ordinary life in a village with his friend Laughing Fit. He met and married a pegasus mare named Radiance, until one day when she died. In an act that Hunger himself calls foalish, he began looking for a way to revive her, and stumbled across the Autumn Tower.

But, of course, he failed and died, along with Laughing Fit. So now he eats things and is trying to help a mare named Loosewing get through the tower, but that's a different story!

Hunger is capable of eating, quite literally, anything he wishes to. Eating at least a certain amount causes him to take on the properties of what he has eaten, and it can also heal him, though living beings and meat heal him more than inanimate objects.

Note that this "eat to heal" ability includes healing lethal injuries such as having his neck snapped!

However, his iron stomach and odd taste buds aside, Hunger doesn't have much in the way of special abilities. He has more than average speed and strength compared to other earth ponies, but not to major extents. And while he also can take unfathomable amounts of pain and come out fine, he'll still react to it and likely scream his head off.

But even if he can't fight, he can at least think! He's rather knowledgeable in setting up traps and fighting via guerilla warfare, which basically amounts to hit-and-run tactics and being sneaky. ...not that this helped him against Bardra.

Hunger is rather grumpy and sadistic, though he does have a soft spot. It's just...really covered up.

This guy's got a lot of attitude problems. He seems to hate anypony who's trying to help him and will usually make a lot of remarks at their expense, but at the very least, he'll still try to protect them.

However, there isn't a lot in the way of protection that he can do aside from eating things. He has generally slow reflexes, no weaponry, and next to no abilities that can actually help him in a battle.

But hey, he's part of one of the most dangerous structures in Equestria, so that's gotta count for something!

"We both found out bitterly that we were the very first ponies to try and scale the Tower. And while the Tower itself is a merciless entity, we found out how sadistic it can be as well. That is to say, we didn’t die that day. Instead, we were cursed for the rest of time."


Marr Bell

Species: Gorgon
Several centuries old
Over thirty feet in length
Can petrify opponents
Extreme magical resistance

With the head of a pony and the body of a really giant-ass snake, meet Marr Bell!

Over thirty feet long with the upper tenth of her body being that of a pony, Marr Bell is a gorgon who was manipulated by the rich artist Graphis Denarius to turn people into statues so he could sell them.

He apparently did this by making her think he loved her, using a special amulet to increase his self-control and avoid tipping her off as to the truth...so, you know, it's like high school all over again!

After she discovered the truth, she went on a rampage, nearly killing Graphis before the mane six and the Doctor stopped her. She was then exiled and taken away by the Doctor to a valley of other gorgons, where she could live.

...okay, not so much like high school anymore.

Marr Bell has the ability to petrify others, obviously. She does this using her retractable "cobra hood", which shoots out beams of rainbow light for a few meters that turn anyone caught by them into a stone statue. This petrification ability is extremely accurate, as only her target gets turned to stone.

It can affect all sorts of materials! Grass, metal, plastic, gemstones, the kitchen sink! ...but it doesn't work on wood. Gotta say, considering she comes from a Doctor Whooves story, that seems a little expected!

She is also extremely resistant to magic, as Twilight Sparkle was only able to keep her pinned for about fifteen seconds while using enough magic to keep a half-grown dragon pinned indefinitely, and was incapacitated due to a headache for several minutes afterwards.

She's also exceptionally strong and durable! You know the TARDIS? That blue box that can pretty much never be moved at all when it's parked? She slammed into it, rocked the inside, and made it tilt! She tilted the goddamn TARDIS!

...anyone who's never watched Doctor Who probably thinks that isn't much of a feat. However, to compare, three dozen ponies with strength comparable to Big Macintosh hitched an iron rod to the door handle and pulled on it with chains to pry the door open, and all they managed to do was break the chains. And when they tried a battering ram on it, they merely caused a tiny blip on the TARDIS's radar for a fraction of a second. So that should give you an idea of how durable the TARDIS is. And despite her size and strength, Marr Bell has surprising agility and precise movements.

Getting away from TARDIS stuff, Marr is also sensitive to vibrations and can sense a pony's presence through the ground! She can also use this to tell if they're lying based on their heart rate! Only problem is...particularly loud sounds actually hurt her because of this ability, mostly based on the shock value of the noise.

Marr Bell's emotional state is likened to that of a 17-18 year old human in her bestiary entry, and that does seem to describe her well. She is highly emotional and somewhat mercurial in her moods, and just the word 'monster' is a sensitive subject for her.

Basically, she gets mad at everything that hits a sensitive area, then feels sorrow and guilt-trips over it afterwards. Sounds like a teenager to me!

She also seems to panic a bit when an object gets wrapped around the pony part of her body, either trying to buck it off, wriggle out of it, or otherwise escape rather than trying to continue after high priority targets in spite of her handicap.

So we've got a giant-ass snake-thing that you can freak out with a piece of rope, and a cannibalistic pony that spends more time being a douchebag than eating? ...this should be fun.

"You came down here expecting a monssster, little pony! ...Far be it from me to disssappoint you…"


Alright, the combatants are set! Let's FINALLY end this debate once and for all.

IT'S TIME FOR AN EQUESTRIAN DEATH BATTLE!


A dreary, gray haze seemed to permeate the field as a thick fog gradually thinned, revealing decrepit buildings in disrepair standing like husks. It was a ghost-town, once thriving homes and businesses now standing hollow in mute acceptance of the fact that those who had once called this place their own had long since gone.

Then, movement as an aghast looking gray mare stepped out of the fog and into the town square, green eyes wide in shock as she took in her surroundings before taking note of the only other sign of movement in the entire village. Sitting back upon a half-broken sundial was a stallion with a coat that could only be described as grimy, gnawing loudly on a thick femur bone.
His eyes lit up with delight as they fell upon the mare, who seemed quite confused.

“Well… hello there, cupcake.” He grinned, pulling the bone away from his lips and grinning, showing off a row of razor sharp teeth. “Now what have we here?”

“I…I’m Marr Bell…” The mare answered in a hesitant, fearful voice before inquiring. “Wh-who are you?”

“Ohhh how boring. It’s always the same old questions, isn’t it, Morsel?” Hunger Pains pulled himself off of his seat, tossing the heavily gnawed bone aside. “Who are you? What do you want? Why are you doing this?”

He chuckled throatily as he took a step forward, delighted to see the mare take a step back from him, keeping herself half hidden in the fog.

“Nah-uh-uh, Pudding pop. Don’t think of running off now, you simply MUST stay for dinner.” Hunger swayed as he moved towards her, again flashing his pointed teeth, which seemed to have the desired effect of paralyzing his newly acquired prey in her hooves.

“B-but… I-I’m not hungry.” The mare stammered

“No, but I am.” Hunger guffawed as he quickly closed on the mare, who shrank back fearfully, but still hadn’t gained the intelligence to turn and run away. “Come come, Gum drop, didn’t anypony warn you? You’re off the edge of the map now… and here there be Monsters.”

Hunger Pain’s grin started to fade as the mare’s trembling expression hardened into an angry glare. he watched those brilliant green eyes lose their fear and narrow into angry reptilian slits.

Then she suddenly rose up off of her hooves as if pushing herself to her hind legs, folding them up against her chest in a manner not unlike a preying mantis. But then she didn’t stop rising, her head and chest continuing to elevate until she towered over the cannibalistic pony. It was then that Hunger saw how the mare’s backside didn’t end in a succulent, juicy flank garnished with a tail. Instead it continued on, and on… into an enormous serpentine form that had until now been shrouded in the fog.

“You know what, Painssss. You’re right.” The gorgon nodded, her forked tongue flickering out between her lips, which were now turned up in an angry snarl.

“Awwwww manure…”

FIGHT!

Hunger Pains threw himself to the side as the Gorgon hissed threateningly, practically telegraphing her attack as her stony tail came sweeping around overhead in an attempt to smash him on the spot. And he was grateful he did as he took note of the deep, broken rut she had made in the road.

Not giving her the time to recover, Hunger quickly dove on top of the gorgon’s snake like tail, wrapping his legs around it as she lifted it up again and prepared to slam him into a nearby wall.

*CHOMP*

The Gorgon never had a chance to do so as razor-sharp teeth bit into her stony hide, chipping and splitting stone as well as enamel, but managing to dig deep enough to reach the thick, corded muscle underneath. Managing to get a mouthful of thick, magic-thick blood, Hunger nearly went lax from the exotic flavor before Marr flicked her tail roughly and reality came crashing in.

Well, less reality and more the second story wall of the building next door as he went flying though it, unable to keep his grasp of the gorgon’s rough scales.

“Ohhhh You rock-humping piece of-” Hunger gritted as he came to a stop, rolling along the dilapidated floor boards of the of the building, having to reach around to pull an enormous shard of broken wood out of his flank. Swallowing the magic-rich gorgon blood still in his mouth and staining his lips, he felt the wound close over as his teeth grow back in.

If nothing else though, he had to admit, this creature was a whole new realm of tasty.

And once he got a taste, he wanted the whole meal.

He just needed to be smart about it.

Marr Bell slithered easily down across the street and rose up to peer into the hole made by the monster she had sent flying.
“Hello? Ssstill alive, Hunger?” The Gorgon snickered, leaning down so that her hooves stood in a pony fashion while the rest of her body remained outside. “If sssssso, come on out and we can fix that.”

Silence met her as those slitted eyes looked around the room, making out a small pool of blackened blood from the flesh-eating monster.

“Where did you go?”

CLANK-KKrrrkkk-KRRRRkkkk

“EEP!” Marr’s eyes widened as she pulled back, feeling something harsh scrape up against her under-belly. Looking down, she took a moment to react as she saw the creature she faced drop a rake and break into a run.

While the metal rake had done no real damage, the grating feeling of metal on her craggy scales was beyond annoying.
“Really?” Marr shook her head, her expression distasteful as the cannibal pony dove into a large building that must have been a warehouse for shelter. “Issss that the best you can do?”

The gorgon dove forward, slithering like a serpent towards the doorway that the creature had retreated to.

“What’s the matter, little monster?” Marr cracked a smile as she moved to her hooves and opened the door, amazed that the dolt-colt had been in too much a panic to even bother locking it.

Inside, boxes and crates were piled high, the smell of rotted food clearly left behind in the rush of the citizens that had left this place behind.

“Sssspent too much time terrorizing little fillies and old maressss sleeping in their beds that you can’t just step up and face me? Are you afraid? Have to run and hide from a genuine creature of myth?” Marr asked, her eyes scanning the dim room, looking and feeling for any sign of movement as she trotted forward, her snake like body winding in from the door as she took care to tread lightly.

“Ehh, you’re all just meat to me. ” Came the response, echoing loudly off the boxes, causing Marr to turn as she tried to pin down the source. “And ‘Creature of Myth’? You say that as if it is something to be proud of. Come come now, Maredusa. You hardly have any right to lecture me.”

“My name is MARR!” The gorgon’s eyes reverted to their slitted appearance in spite of herself, making it more difficult to see in the dimly lit area, her tongue flickering angrily as she twisted around, rising a bit from the floor. “And I am NOT the Maredusa!”

“I’m ‘sorrrryyy’, did I strike a nerve?” Hunger’s condescending voice echoed off the boxes with a wicked chuckle. “Ohhh, OOOhhhHHHhh I get it. How adorable… the little filly trying to play heroic champion for all of the victimized little ponies.”

One of Marr’s ears twitched as her jaws locked , her words quiet as they escaped her lips with a defined hiss.

“Ssssshut it.”

“You came all this way just to put down the scary flesh-eating monster that they have been going on about didn’t you? Trying to win their affection? What a sickeningly sweet… utterly empty dream.”

“I Sssssaaidd SSSHUT IT!”

“You know that lisp of yours is adorable, right?” Hunger smirked, looking down at her from his hiding spot with his mouth watering. “That they might be able to overlook… but let’s face it sweetie, that backside of yours… well, it’s a deal breaker. I mean, I just can’t imagine you giving one of those squishy ponies a nice warm hug. If you didn’t just crush them to jelly, then they would be all cut up on that rocky hide of yours.”

Marr dove forward, her movements no longer imitating a pony’s steps as she slithered deeper into the warehouse, darting around crates and looking around for the stallion as he kept talking.

“It’s actually rather sad, now isn’t it? I mean, at least I can accept what I am. Hell, I enjoy it even. But you? Trying so hard to be a pony when you’re anything but?”

Finally, her snake-like body leaning up against a set of crates, Marr felt movement, coming to recognize the location coming from above her, along the tops of the stacks.

*WHUMPH*

“HIISSS!” Marr winced, hissing in pain as she felt a heavy crate crash into her her tail near the door, the impact rattling her bones.

*CRASH-THUMPH-THUD*

Followed by three more, clearly shoved off the top of the stacks and smashing down on her body, which had been winding around the corridors created by the crates, with a healthy helping of gravity-aided momentum.

Finally, pinned up by the impact, trying to pull her long body out from under the weight of the mostly intact crates, Marr caught sight of the monster she sought up along the top of the warehouse catwalks.

“Silly little snake.” He grinned, showing off a row of shining white, razor sharp teeth. “To them, you’re just as much a monster as I am.”

As he watched, the cannibal pony took note of those green eyes, the slitted pupil now so thin that it could barely be seen. And perhaps it was his imagination… but he could have sworn he heard a faint, sudden ‘snap’ before watching the Stone-Serpent’s entire body flex.

“HIIIIISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!”

——

The doorway and walls of the warehouse all but exploded outward as thick, gray coils of muscle and stone tore though them like a colt though a sheet of parchment, sending crates (both in pieces and whole) flying though the air.

Charging away from the scene, Hunger didn’t take the chance of looking back as the gorgon managed to play the part of a single-mare demolition crew and tore the entire building apart in a blind, bestial rage.

‘That was easier than I thought’ he considered with a dark grin before whistling, drawing the gorgon’s attention to him as he dove though the door of another building.

Within moments, the gorgon had crashed though the door and proceeded to tear the empty homestead down, lashing out with all of the fury of a volcano while Hunger quickly, but calmly, proceeded out the back door and to the next building, waiting for her to finish wrecking ball impression before drawing her to the next point.

Some time later, the ghost-village was little more than a pile of rubble, devastated by the wrath of the panting, trembling gorgon coiled up in the center of the town, her back to the brick-stone Town Hall, which was the only standing structure remaining. Her muscles burned from the prolonged rage as she surveyed the destruction, sweat matting her coarse upper body fur as she clenched her teeth.

“I… think… I… got him.” Marr smirked proudly to herself looking over the ruin, running a fore-hoof over her head as she panted. “Well, at some point.”

Slumping wearily as she felt the adrenalin rush wear off, Marr laid back, her coil unraveling as she stretched out and laid on her back, leaning against the threshold of the town hall as she tried to catch her breath.

Clearly not taking notice of the predatory pony perched above her on the edge of the roof, holding himself stock still as the stone-covered creature left herself wide open to him.

No matter how mighty this beast was, no matter how tough the hide, she was hardly invincible. She could bleed, and that meant she was a mortal, living creature.

All it would take was one well placed bite on the neck, and she would go down.

Lining himself up perfectly over the exhausted gorgon, Hunger pounced, his mouth already watering as he prepared to land his finishing blow...

...only for Marr to sense his location through the ground just before he pounced. Turning towards her foe, she decided it was finally time to end this.

She activated her hood, emitting a dazzling display of rainbow light. Hunger's eyes widened as he was caught in the beams just before he could land on her neck, and screamed as his body was petrified to stone.

With a tired smirk, the gorgon lifted up the pony-turned-statue. Without a word, she popped it into her mouth, chomping down on the rock with ease before she began to relax so her wounds could heal.

K.O.


Holy crap! That's one of the best David-VS-Goliath fights I've ever seen!

Marr Bell quickly showed that she was too tough and way too strong for Hunger to even think about fighting head on, so he resorted to psychological warfare, which Marr was immensely susceptible to, leading to her rage. He had assumed she would be tired out by her demolition of the surrounding area, allowing him to land a single well placed ‘kill-bite’ on her neck, but he underestimated her endurance, her strength, and the fact that once she calmed down, she was intelligent enough to recognize his planned tactic.

Add to this the fact that Hunger was unaware of her ‘ace in the hole’ petrification ability, which is why most creature that know of gorgons stay well clear of their seemingly more vulnerable upper-body. Still, it was definitely a closer battle than you'd think!

Hunger Pains' idea of just biting down on Marr Bell's neck would have likely done her in, so really, she managed to win in what could have been her last chance. Plus, she's eaten gemstones before; a regular stone shouldn't be a problem for her.

I guess Hunger just-

-bit off more than he could chew. We all saw that one coming, Arrell.

...aw.

The winner is Marr Bell.


Next time on the Equestrian Death Battle Tournament:

Jack Khajiit VS Abstract the Dark!

Who will win? Who will die? Find out next time!

Author's Note:

EXTRA APOLOGIES! This took WAY too long to finish...but here it is!

I just want to give out a super-special thanks to Loyal2Luna and Marr Bell (yes, there's a user with that name); they were both extremely helpful with research on Marr Bell, not to mention the fight scene in this chapter was written by Loyal2Luna herself. Without them, this battle would have taken even longer to finish and wouldn't have been nearly as amazing.

PreviousChapters Next