• Published 18th May 2012
  • 12,438 Views, 1,757 Comments

Death Battle: Equestria - RLYoshi



Death Battle with ponies. Characters are researched, then pitted against each other in fights to the death, with pacifistic tendencies removed. Who would win in an Equestrian Death Battle?

  • ...
54
 1,757
 12,438

PreviousChapters Next
Battle 12: Trixie VS Gilda - Second Look

We put a lot of work into researching for these battles, but even we have to admit we may have screwed up along the way!

Our very first battle, pitting the unicorn stage magician Trixie against Rainbow Dash's old griffon friend Gilda, was not nearly as looked into as we look into battles nowadays.

A lot of you have pointed out little bits of info, such as "Hey, Trixie can't summon more than one lightning cloud!", and while normally we ignore this sort of thing, we still want to make extra sure our battles are completely accurate!

Today, we'll be watching Trixie and Gilda fight once more, this time using the decision processes we use for battles nowadays to look back on flaws and information we missed.

He's Yah-Shee and I'm Arrell!

And it's our job to accurately analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win an Equestrian Death Battle.


Seeing as we already went over most of the information in a previous battle, we'll be skipping all of that and getting to looking over information in ways we missed last time.

One really popular complaint you guys had was that Trixie shouldn't be able to teleport!

For one thing, it was never stated in the show that Twilight is the only pony that can teleport. And since both she and Trixie have magic itself as their special talent, it's likely that if one can do something, so can the other. The difference between the two is, as we stated, that Twilight has more raw power while Trixie is more experienced with what she has.

For example, let's say they both made a fireworks display. Trixie's would be really flashy and colourful with all sorts of cool lights, while Twilight's would consist of one gigantic light explosion in the sky. Huge, but really not that much to look at!

Seeing as how Twilight teleports around with absolute ease, it's likely that the main reason she can do it is because of her large amount of magical power. Trixie would theoretically be able to teleport rather quickly and to the exact spot she wanted, but not nearly as often.

But we're not just running off of assumptions here!

In her debut episode, Trixie performed a magic trick where she summoned a bouquet of flowers. As the act of creating matter is scientifically impossible, and there was nothing for her to transform-

Not to mention transformation spells being impossible for even Twilight to do at the time and not really brought up until season three!

-that leaves only one possibility: she teleported the flowers to herself from somewhere else. So she can definitely teleport objects, and it would not be out of the question to teleport herself.

One other thing you guys brought up a lot was the lightning clouds, saying she can only summon one! Honestly, this one kind of intrigued us.

First off, we can assume that the average adult mare is about four feet tall from hoof to head, ignoring their manes. This would mean that they would also be about two to three feet long, ignoring their tails. In the scene where Trixie summons a lightning cloud to zap Rainbow Dash, we can use Applejack as a comparison against the cloud by removing her hat, tail, and a certain amount of her mane from the image.

Through this, we can figure out that the cloud Trixie summoned was just under two feet tall and five feet long! Since we can't measure thickness due to the show's style, we'll have to go with the idea of a symmetrical cloud, and assume it's five feet wide as well!

Now, a cloud is made of water vapor, and there is always certain amounts of water vapor in the atmosphere. While just creating a cloud out of nowhere would be impossible, it would be possible to use magic to collect water vapor into a cloud, and so the idea if Trixie gathering water molecules into a roughly five-by-two-by-five-foot cloud is not beyond possibility. Gathering it into a lightning cloud, however, would be much more difficult.

Lightning is created by separation of electrical charge and generation of an electric field within a thunderstorm, and believe it or not, cold weather effects such as ice, hail, and graupel are essential to lightning development! If a cloud can't produce a lot of ice, it probably can't produce a lot of lightning!

...Arrell, I didn't know you knew so much about lightning. That's kind of...

Shocking?

...I set myself up for that one.

Yep!

Anyway, we have determined that, actually, we were wrong in the end. While the creation of a single lightning cloud or a series of regular clouds would be easy for Trixie, creating a huge amount of lightning clouds would be much more difficult. This also explains why the best she could do against the Ursa Minor was a single lightning cloud, and didn't summon more or a bigger one.

We can't accurately go by the information from Magic Duel, since Trixie was powered by the Alicorn Amulet, so that episode is basically-

Ah ah ah! Hold on a moment, Arrell.

Huh?

Yes, the Alicorn Amulet powered up Trixie's magic greatly. But that's exactly it.

...huh?

"Even though it provides great power, it also corrupts the user!"

"Provides great power". That's all the Alicorn Amulet does; it greatly enhances the magical capabilities of the wearer. Everything Trixie did in that episode, she can still do. It'd just be harder, since she'd have to work her magic a lot more in order to pull it off.

Then why the hay doesn't she use that power more often?!

Well...she's lazy. Plain and simple.

"You and I have some unfinished business...my magic's gotten better since I was here last. And I'm going to prove it!"

"Got any new moves in your tricktionary, or are you one hundred percent old school?"


Alrght, the combatants are set! Let's properly end this debate once and for all!

IT'S TIME FOR A REPEATED EQUESTRIAN DEATH BATTLE!


"Well, this looks familiar," the unicorn muttered as she entered a clearing she knew from long ago. The sound of wings flapping alerted her to a presence behind her, and quickly jumped to the side, barely avoiding the swipe of a talon.

"Alright, you little horse," a griffon long since thought dead growled. "We're getting a round two!"

FIGHT!

Quickly, Trixie flared her horn up and summoned a cloud over Gilda, intending to quickly end this battle the same as before. Gilda saw this coming, however, and flew out of the way just as the lightning came out, hitting the spot where she just was.

"That won't work on me twice," the griffon declared haughtily. With a charge, she slammed into her opponent, knocking her back several feet. Rolling to her hooves, Trixie thought quickly. Just as Gilda was charging at her again, she summoned a small fireworks display, creating a series of blinding lights in front of her foe. Disoriented, the griffon missed her completely.

The pony did not let this opportunity be wasted. She ran up and tackled, grabbing onto the back of the slightly larger creature. Wrapping her hooves around her neck, she tried to strangle the griffon, but other plans were in the mind of her potential victim.

Using the close range to her advantage, Gilda swung a talon behind herself, cutting Trixie across the cheek. The unicorn's grip loosened, and that was all Gilda needed. She grabbed onto her forelegs, pulling them down to her chest where no real damage could be done, and flapped her wings. Quickly, she took off into the sky, Trixie still on her back.

"Get ready for a ride!" Gilda chuckled. She flew around at top speed, making Trixie dizzy and slightly nauseated. Getting an idea, Gilda flew down towards a large tree. Turning around, she slammed into the bark, back-first, crushing the unicorn between herself and the wood. She stayed there for a second, then flapped her wings again and flew off. She found another tree and repeated the process.

Trixie grunted in pain. This was beginning to get to be too much for her. She started concentrating on her magic again, trying to keep one spell going despite all the hits she was getting. It was hard, considering this was a spell she had only done once before, and that was with help.

Gilda hadn't noticed her unwilling rider's glowing horn, and continued to fly around, smashing her into anything she could find.

POOF!

Suddenly, Gilda lost control of her flying. She yelped as she began spiraling out of control. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her right wing. It had suddenly grown!

Unable to pull herself out of her descent, Gilda braced for impact. She slammed hard into a tree, crashing right through it. She hit the ground and completely released her hold on Trixie's legs. With a bit of a stumble, the unicorn jumped away from the griffon.

Growling, Gilda started to get up. "You little...fix my wing! Right now!"

Trixie was panting heavily. "Even if I had...the energy to do that...I wouldn't." She smirked.

With a roar, Gilda ran at her...only to fall over due to the excess weight on her right side. With a grunt, she hit the ground again and tried to get up.

"Say, have you ever heard the saying 'lightning never strikes the same place twice'?"

Gilda looked up. A black cloud loomed over her.

"They lied."

ZAP!

One powerful electrocution later, all that remained of Gilda was - once again - a pile of ashes.

K.O.


There we go, people! Happy?

See, I could go into a list of reasons as to why Trixie won a second time, but...really, it's the same reasons as last time. This battle's outcome wasn't affected because the lightning clouds - and even the teleportation - from the first battle weren't part of the research. They were only there for the battle's sake to make it interesting.

So now you can stop griffon us so much hate over this!

The winner was and still is Trixie.


Next time on DEATH BATTLE: Equestria!

We took a break from the tournament to do this, but next time, we'll really be getting to Hunger Pains VS Marr Bell! Stay tuned!


Got a suggestion for a Death Battle? Post a comment below suggesting matchups, or send me a PM with suggestions in it!

You may suggest OC characters, provided they are from a story on this site that is at least somewhat well-known.

Please do not suggest matchups that have already happened. You may suggest individual characters to appear in matches against a different opponent than one they have fought previously, but suggestions like those are less likely to be used (unless I REALLY like the idea).

PreviousChapters Next