• Published 18th May 2012
  • 12,435 Views, 1,757 Comments

Death Battle: Equestria - RLYoshi



Death Battle with ponies. Characters are researched, then pitted against each other in fights to the death, with pacifistic tendencies removed. Who would win in an Equestrian Death Battle?

  • ...
54
 1,757
 12,435

PreviousChapters Next
Battle 10: Ditzy Doo VS Vinyl Scratch

Background ponies: love 'em or hate 'em! And personally, I love 'em!

Ditzy Doo, the pegasus otherwise known as Derpy Hooves...

...and Vinyl Scratch, the unicorn also known as DJ P0N-3!

I'm Yah-Shee and he's Arrell, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armor, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.


Ditzy Doo

Nickname: Derpy Hooves
Species: Pegasus pony
Occupation: Mailmare
Suffers from strabismus
Clumsy, but strong
Can lift pianos and break wooden supports

Ditzy Doo is one of two names for one of the first, if not the first, background pony: Derpy Hooves.

With so many fan interpretations of her, it's hard to figure out which one's the most common...so we'll just go on it based on the few minutes the show's given us and throw in a few popular traits!

Ditzy is widely believed to be a mailmare and has a child named Dinky. As her name implies, she is clumsy and disoriented. However, this can likely be attributed to her eyes, which are almost certainly her most well-known feature.

One eye points up, the other points down!

It is a common error for people to refer to Ditzy as being cross-eyed, when in reality, the science goes much deeper than that. Ditzy suffers from a condition known as strabismus.

Stradivarius?

No, Arrell. Strabismus.

Science mumbo-jumbo bores me! Can't we just say she's cross-eyed?

While admittedly it is easier, for the purposes of this battle, we had to research it. Strabismus is a condition that affects the eyes and prevents them from focusing on the same point in space.

And time!

Stop cutting me off. Strabismus frequently causes a decrease in depth perception, which is most likely the cause of Ditzy's clumsiness. While there are many forms of strabismus, Ditzy's appears to be a type of vertical strabismus known as hypertrobia.

Hypothermia?

I said stop cutting me off! ...Anyway, hypertrobia is caused when one eye's visual axis is higher than the other, causing them to misalign and have one eye be higher up than the other.

I always thought it was just an animation error...

While she may be clumsy, Ditzy is much more powerful than expected.

She can lift pianos by herself and break solid wood just by accidentally ramming into it or sitting on it! Plus, she can take a direct hit from lightning and shake it off like nothing happened!

Speaking of lightning, Ditzy can control and manipulate the weather due to being a pegasus. However, we have yet to see her do this with anything other than storm clouds.

And if that wasn't enough, she's been taking lessons from Pinkie Pie, because this mare can warp physics like wood in the rain! She can appear pretty much anywhere, even inside of a snow globe!

It's impossible to deny that despite her clumsiness and the drama caused by her speaking, Ditzy is just as easily a contendor for an Equestrian Death Battle as anypony.

"I just don't know what went wrong!"


Vinyl Scratch

Nickname: DJ P0N-3
Species: Unicorn pony
Occupation: Nightclub DJ
Can use dubstep for various tasks
Defeated Discord with her bass cannon
Wears purple-tinted shades

Despite having less than fifteen total seconds of screentime, Vinyl Scratch is one of the most popular background ponies in the fandom. There are plenty of interpretations of her, but for this battle, we'll be taking the most commonly accepted fan theories and treating them as canon.

Vinyl is frequently referred to as being a dubstep-loving unicorn DJ - just like me!

...except you're not a DJ. Or a unicorn.

Eh, one out of three's better than I've ever done before.

...moving on, Vinyl doesn't seem to use her magic very much. The only spell we've seen her use is levitation, and she appears to use her hooves more than one would expect a unicorn to be comfortable with.

She doesn't even bother trying to use her magic on an iPhone! Hah!

However, while she may not appear bright, Vinyl appears to at least have some technological skills. She's learned how to use dubstep as an effective dishwasher, but if that wasn't enough, she's even weaponized it with her Bass Cannon.

YEAH! BASS CANNON!

The Bass Cannon is a modified sound system that fires a soundwave so intense and powerful that it completely incinerates anything in its near-endless path. This weapon was even used to defeat Discord when the Elements of Harmony could not. However, it has a downside.

Vinyl...is not Pinkie Pie.

Unlike the Party Cannon, Vinyl's Bass Cannon requires actually being pushed around, since she doesn't have hammerspace access. It also is apparently rather heavy, limiting its mobility, as well as taking a while to charge up.

Then again, considering you're killing your enemies with pure dubstep music, I think that the pros outweigh the cons! I wanna try that now...

Later, Arrell.

Fine.

While Vinyl has little to no actual combat training, she appears to have a very large resistance to pain. She can crush a wooden mug against her forehead without any visible consequences or flinching, showing both her ability to take plenty of damage and quite a bit of physical strength.

But one problem with Vinyl is that she's pretty oblivious. She focuses on one thing and doesn't notice - or at the very least, doesn't care about - anything else. And she misses the point a lot...hm, maybe she is Pinkie.

Pinkie with a Bass Cannon...oh dear Celestia, just kill me now.

"We crank that bass up to eleven, it cleans all the dishes on a microscopic level! YEAH!"


Alright, the combatants are set! Let's end this debate once and for all.

Hold up Yah-Shee!

Arrell, we're just a fanfic. We don't need sponsors.

Not a sponsor! An update on the Equestrian Death Battle Tournament!

Ah yes, the tournament. There are twelve days left until OC submissions close, but beginning on Sunday, we will no longer be accepting submissions from anyone who has not contacted our author, RLYoshi, beforehand about entering.

So if you want to enter, then you better at least let RLYoshi know today or tomorrow, or you'll miss your chance!

Also, extra judges are no longer being accepted, as we have enough already.

But for now, IT'S TIME FOR A BACKGROUND PONY DEATH BATTLE!


In the middle of a forest far away from any civilization, a white unicorn with a spiky blue mane wheeled her Bass Cannon onto what would soon become a battlefield. As if on cue, a gray wall-eyed pegasus dropped from the sky, landing on the ground and stumbling a bit before standing up straight.

FIGHT!

As soon as the command was given, Vinyl Scratch hit the button on her Bass Cannon and aimed it at Ditzy Doo. Ditzy took to the air quickly, though, using the several seconds of charging the weapon took to get away. Not willing to be outdone that easily, Vinyl tilted the Bass Cannon up, trying to follow Ditzy with it.

Just as the cannon was about to fire, however, Ditzy suddenly tilted down and flew toward the ground. The dubstep soundwave that poured from the Bass Cannon barely missed, but the pegasus still took a small hit from being close by, turning her dive into an unwanted somersault into the ground.

Leaving her Bass Cannon behind for the moment, Vinyl bounded up to the fallen mare, hoping for the battle to be over. She was surprised to see Ditzy stand up, looking completely unharmed, and fly back into the sky. Silently cursing, Vinyl lit her horn in an attempt to pull the mailmare back down, but she couldn't get a proper magical hold.

Seeing an opportunity, Ditzy looped around in the air and flew right back down, surprising the DJ below. Before Vinyl could react, Ditzy plowed into her with unexpected power, sending them rolling across the field. It wasn't until Vinyl flung Ditzy away with levitation that she managed to stand back up. Knowing she'd need a weapon, she looked around for her Bass Cannon, but they had rolled so far away it was no longer in sight. She turned back to where Ditzy was, only to find her no longer present. In fact, she was nowhere to be seen.

Nervous, Vinyl began galloping back in the direction the battle started, only to be stopped when a piano suddenly fell right in front of her. Had she been any faster, she would've been crushed. Looking up, Vinyl saw Ditzy carrying a large amount of items with no hint as to where she got them from.

The DJ kept running, avoiding dropped items every few seconds. Every time she looked up, Ditzy had a completely new array of objects, freaking Vinyl out further. As soon as she saw her abandoned Bass Cannon again, she dove for it, hitting the button and turning to aim it up at Ditzy.

Only now Ditzy had vanished again.

Panicking, Vinyl looked around for her foe, pulling off her sunglasses to help her see better. Seeing a bit of gray behind a nearby tree, she grinned, aiming her weapon at the same tree. It fired, the ear-splitting dubstep soundwave incinerating every visible tree in that direction, and ostensibly Ditzy as well.

Vinyl smirked in victory, but that vanished when she felt a hoof tap her on the shoulder. Turning around slowly, she was met with Ditzy's cheerful smile and crossed eyes.

Thinking fast, Vinyl turned and bucked, sending the pegasus flying a fair distance away. Using her magic to snap off a branch from a nearby tree, she charged in desperation, hoping to stab Ditzy to death since her Bass Cannon wasn't working out. As soon as she got close, though, Ditzy flew up and away, causing Vinyl to completely miss. A split second later, the mailmare returned with a storm cloud and began jumping on it, showering the area around Vinyl with lightning. Every time the unicorn tried to move, she had to jump back to avoid being shocked.

Suddenly, the lightning bolts stopped, garnering suspicion from Vinyl. She glared up at the cloud, stick ready. A few seconds passed with no event. Quickly, Vinyl levitated her stick up to the cloud and stabbed right through it, destroying it and revealing nothing on top.

The sound of something charging up behind her caused Vinyl to turn around. The last thing she saw was her Bass Cannon aimed at her before it fired, obliterating her in its blast.

Ditzy stood proudly behind the Bass Cannon as she watched it finish the job for her, then turned and flew away, leaving the field void of all life. Just a modified speaker set and miles of burned trees in two directions.

K.O.


Man, dubstep really is dangerous!

While Vinyl Scratch may have had magic, she didn't know enough spells to make use of it, while Ditzy was at least a decent flier. Bass Cannon aside, Vinyl had no real advantages aside from pain resistance and extra strength, neither of which were very useful.

Pain resistance doesn't help much when your opponent has the same amount of it, and extra strength...well, that's only useful if you can actually land a hit, but thanks to Ditzy staying airborne, that didn't happen enough.

The Bass Cannon itself had too many disadvantages to be useful in Vinyl's favour. It took too long to charge and couldn't be moved around easily, which made landing a hit difficult. The only reason Ditzy was even able to use it to win was because Vinyl was too focused on the cloud to notice Ditzy aiming and starting it up. By the time she saw, it was too late.

Something tells me this is gonna start a few arguments in the fan-bass!

The winner is Ditzy Doo.


Next time on DEATH BATTLE: Equestria!

It's time for another free-for-all, but this time, we've got three beings of unknown power and potential duking it out for survival! The show's three main - er, mane - antagonists are all being put in a cave for a battle. Who will win? Who will die?


Got a suggestion for a Death Battle? Post a comment below suggesting matchups, or send me a PM with suggestions in it!

You may suggest OC characters, provided they are from a story on this site that is at least somewhat well-known. You may also suggest characters from other universes (i.e. anything non-pony related), as long as their opponent is from MLP:FiM, either the show or a known fic.

Please do not suggest matchups that have already happened. You may suggest individual characters to appear in matches against a different opponent than one they have fought previously, but suggestions like those are less likely to be used (unless I REALLY like the idea).

PreviousChapters Next