• Published 18th May 2012
  • 12,434 Views, 1,757 Comments

Death Battle: Equestria - RLYoshi



Death Battle with ponies. Characters are researched, then pitted against each other in fights to the death, with pacifistic tendencies removed. Who would win in an Equestrian Death Battle?

  • ...
54
 1,757
 12,434

Chapters Next
Battle 1: Trixie VS Gilda

While it may be a peaceful place, there is no doubt that Ponyville has certainly seen its fair share of antagonists.

Like Trixie, the unicorn showmare...

...and Gilda, the awesomeness-obsessed griffon. I'm Yah-Shee and he's Arrell, and it's our job to analyze their weapons, armour, and skills to find out who would win a Death Battle.


Trixie

Name: "The Great and Powerful" Trixie Lulamoon
Type: Unicorn
Special talent: Magic
Occupation: Showmare
Very boastful
Skilled with magic
Wears a purple cape and hat
Has a favourite star

"The Great and Powerful" Trixie is a unicorn with one passion and one passion only: showing off.

Unless you count referring to herself in third-person as a passion! Boy oh boy, does that ever get annoying.

Trixie's special talent is magic itself, as evidenced by her magic wand cutie mark. However, unlike a certain Twilight Sparkle, this does not mean she necessarily possesses extremely powerful magic.

Instead, she's able to use her magic to perform illusions and entertain crowds. Having magic as her special talent allows her to use her magic more efficiently and for a big presentation. Plus, since it's her job to perform, she's got all of her known spells practiced and perfected to a tee. Spells she has performed include creating fireworks, forming objects out of pure air, manipulating rope to quickly hogtie other ponies, summoning clouds that shoot lightning, changing hair colour, and making clouds of smoke...though she might need to practice that last one a bit more.

While unicorns aren't exactly known for their strength - that's left to earth ponies - Trixie appears to be of above average physical power. She lives in a wagon that appears small, but actually contains a rather large stage for her to perform on, as well as presumably whatever possessions she has.

And she pulls this wagon, by herself, from town to town! Let's see an earth pony manage that and not give up after ten minutes!

In addition, Trixie has been shown to be a capable runner. She moves especially fast when scared, but even normally she can gallop at a decent speed.

Probably helps for getting outta town when the townsfolk turn on her!

Yes, while she may be talented, Trixie also thinks rather highly of herself, believing that she is the most powerful unicorn in all of Equestria, also demanding that ponies always refer to her as "The Great and Powerful Trixie".

And if that wasn't bad enough, her pride becomes especially obvious through her habit of referring to herself in third-person, her elaborate descriptions of her usually fake accomplishments, and her constantly challenging any pony to do one thing that she can't do better. ...Which they, more often than not, do, but she just interferes with their performance and humiliates them.

From what we've seen of her performances, it seems as though the bulk of each act consists of her challenging ponies to try and outdo her, only for her to mess them up by using some of her spells. And if they do manage to outdo her in a way that leaves her unable to fight back, she just runs away.

Good riddance!

She may be boastful, narcissistic, and even downright cruel at times, but there's no denying she has real skill as a magician. Whether or not she has skill as a fighter, though, is what we're going to find out.

"Anything you can do...I can do better!"


Gilda

Name: Gilda Griffon
Species: Griffon
Considers herself to be "awesome"
Used to be friends with Rainbow Dash
Large, powerful wings
Can roar loud enough to blow back objects
Metal-esque guitar chords play around her often

Griffons are part-lion, part-eagle, and as Gilda herself puts it, all awesome!

Gilda is a griffon-

No, really?

Shut up. She is a griffon, likely from Cloudsdale. Like Trixie, she thinks highly of herself, but not to the same degree.

Instead of thinking she specifically is the best, she just thinks ponies are the worst. Buuut...given the fact that just about every character in the show is a pony, that still ends up leaving pretty much the same impact.

Gilda is a strong flyer with wings much larger than those of a typical pegasus. These allow her to fly quite a bit faster than average pegasi, as well as perch on clouds just like them. In addition to her wings, she has extra sharp clawed talons, which are powerful enough to bend and break solid metal.

Griffons. Are. Awesome.

Pretty much, Arrell. In actual mythology, the griffon was considered to be the king of creatures, due to being part lion and part eagle, which are considered the kings of the beasts and birds respectively. This makes Gilda especially ferocious and powerful.

And she doesn't just have strong arms! The rest of her body's got power where'd you least expect it. Her lungs can hold enough air to blow back a pony's mane and tail with a roar like they're standing in a windstorm, and her tail can actually squish tomatoes.

However, Gilda doesn't usually use these skills in fighting. As stated before, she considers herself to be above all ponies, and so uses her raw power to scare and intimidate them.

Just like my ex-girlfriend.

Exac - wait, what?

MOVING ON! Gilda is prone to angry fits, and when she gets mad, she'll just lash out at whatever pony she thinks deserves it. Even if they're an innocent bystander.

Hot-blooded and with a short fuse, Gilda usually just does whatever she feels like, such as stealing food, frightening the elderly, and roaring in the faces of ponies who do something as little as accidentally bumping into her.

That is one freaky falcon.

Griffon.

Whatever.

"This is your idea of a good time?! I've never met a lamer bunch of dweebs in all my life!"


Okay, the combatants are set! Let's end this debate once and for all!

IT'S TIME FOR A DEATH BATTLE!


In an empty field, a certain blue unicorn trotted along, her purple hat and cape resting on her body. She searched for her opponent, only to find her flying in the air above. Spotting the unicorn, the brown and white griffon descended to the ground and faced her opponent with a glare.

FIGHT!

Gilda, not even giving Trixie a chance to breathe, flew forward and charged into her. Trixie was flung backwards, but managed to regain her balance and skid to a stop. As Gilda tried to ram her again, Trixie's horn lit up, and she teleported away.

Gilda stopped and looked around for her foe, not noticing the unicorn teleport right behind her. Acting quickly, Trixie turned and bucked Gilda in the back of the head, knocking the griffon forward and giving Trixie time to magically summon a long rope and begin twirling it. Gilda, seeing this, spread her wings and took to the air, avoiding the lasso as Trixie attempted to catch her with it.

Perching on a cloud above, Gilda looked down and saw Trixie looking around for her. Smirking, Gilda silently began lowering the cloud to the ground, staying out of Trixie's sight. As soon as she was within range, Gilda jumped and tackled Trixie to the ground, causing the mare to lose her magical grip on the rope. The griffon punched and clawed at Trixie, giving the latter quite a few cuts and bruises. However, the unicorn managed to regain concentration enough to teleport a few feet away and start running off. Not willing to let her prey escape, Gilda took to the skies to give chase.

Trixie knew that her opponent was closing in and started to run faster, her hat and cape falling off as she galloped. It proved futile, however, as she turned her head and saw Gilda picking up even more speed than her. She knew it wouldn't be long before she was caught, so she decided to try a different tactic. Her horn glowed and she formed another rope, turning and managing to catch Gilda's wing with it.

Working her magic, Trixie used the rope to slam Gilda into the ground over and over again. Gilda, however, eventually used her talons to cut the rope, leaving Trixie holding only half and freeing her. Thinking fast, Trixie pulled her end of the rope taut and thrust it at Gilda's feet, tripping her up and buying her a few precious seconds.

While Gilda stood up, Trixie started her horn up again, this time summoning a huge display of fireworks and lights that she was known for starting her shows for. Gilda was blinded by the lights, but charged forward anyway, unaware that Trixie had teleported several feet away and was now casting several other spells in continuation.

The griffon continued to stumble around in the brightness, swinging her wings and talons at thin air. Whenever she got too close to Trixie for comfort, the unicorn just teleported away and continued casting her spells. Finally, she finished, panting for breath but ready. She finished the fireworks display, granting Gilda back her vision.

...only for her to see about a hundred black lightning clouds, directly above her and crackling. Her eyes widened and she tried to fly away, but the clouds all unleashed their lightning at once, striking the griffon with loads of electricity. By the time the electricity died down, Gilda was left as nothing but a pile of smoldering ashes.

K.O.


Daaaamn, I never expected Trixie to fight like that!

While Gilda may have the advantages of flight, size, and raw power, Trixie had this in the bag from the very beginning thanks to her capabailities of magic and planning.

She may be an egotistical, loudmouthed showmare, but she's still a showmare! She knows how to plan an act, she knows how to plan a murder.

Even with limited spells at her disposal that were useful in a battle situation, Trixie's practiced efficiency kept her magic flawless and perfectly timed. And when something did fail, it only took her a few seconds to think of a Plan B and keep her assault going. Gilda's habit of charging right on in and trying to overpower her opponent did frighten Trixie temporarily, but after that, it ended up becoming her downfall.

I guess Trixie's skills were too "shocking" for Gilda to handle!

The winner is Trixie.


Next time on DEATH BATTLE: Equestria:

These two mares have been friends, rivals, and in several fans' minds, romantically attracted to each other. However, when it comes down to a fight to the death, which is truly more powerful?


Got a suggestion for a Death Battle? Post a comment below suggesting matchups, or send me a PM with suggestions in it!

You may suggest OC characters, provided they are from a story on this site that is at least somewhat well-known.

Please do not suggest matchups that have already happened. You may suggest individual characters to appear in matches against a different opponent than one they have fought previously, but suggestions like those are less likely to be used (unless I REALLY like the idea).

Chapters Next