• Published 7th May 2012
  • 4,283 Views, 69 Comments

Fallout Equestria: project human - Gaz1997



a alternative ending/follow on from my first story crashed and burned

  • ...
59
 69
 4,283

Chapter 7 Return to a place like hell.

Fallout Equestria: Project Human.

By Alonelypegasus, formerly RainbowMissile97.

Chapter 7.

Date: unspecified, estimated to be sometime in the middle of the great war

Location: Forward Operation's Base Celestial, Equestrian territory, 50 miles from the main lines



Things were going smoothly in and around the F.O.B, normal as they could be any ways, masses of vehicles moved around continuously dropping off or picking up supplies and troops to and fro, ponies moving around in groups training or resting from a bout of battles. in the barracks section connected to the mess hall, a platoon of 15 ponies were heading to eat after a ten hours sleep, they had just finished basic training merely a week ago and some of them were raring to get into a fight, others slightly skittish, they had only just reached the base yesterday after a three day journey from the training facility deep within the confines of Equestria.

there platoon leader, lieutenant White Sails, a unicorn in his late mid fifties and former leisurely sailor, he donned a dark grey coat, navy blue mane and tail with two pearl white stripes through both, he had dark blue eyes that reflected like the surface of an ocean, his cutie mark, an anchor with a white main sail behind it, he was in charge of the newly formed platoon, dubbed 'fetlock company'.

it was a mixture of of unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies, all in either there late teens or late twenties and they all had a hoof in all specialities, sails looked ahead of them as he trailed behind the group along the corridor, he was an ex-royal guard that served of the ships, an ex-military, when he left he spent his time doing what his passion was, a life on the sea, but when the war sounded, he knew he had to come back.

"there so young, adventurous, foolish, and scared"

He spoke quietly to himself as he followed them down to the mess hall, inside was full of others ponies eating and conversing with each other around high school like tables, he levitated a tray into his grasp and fell in line with his troops and collected his meal and sat alone on an empty table whilst his platoon sat on a collection of tables listening to other ponies battlefield stories, he sat on his lonesome and slowly ate his salad, thinking about what the situations were like 'over there',

he felt a tap on his shoulder and he turned his head to look it was, it was one of the bases colonels, he turned and snapped to attention but the colonel waved it off, he un-froze and sat down.

"this seat taken sails?"

"Hills? is that you? I haven't heard from you in over twelve years!"

"its been the same with me old friend, so I'll ask again, is this seat taken?"

"no, it isn't.....sir"

"good cause I need a word with you" he replied as he sat down next to him and took of his beret.

"About what....sir"

"oh please, drop that 'sir' act for now, it makes me feel older than fifty!"

"but you are fifty? heheheh its been to long rolling hills"

"I know, but now I need you and your platoons help, so it might be wise if they heard this"

"of coarse....sir, FETLOCK COMPANY, ATTEEEEN HUT!" they all rose out there seats and lined up in front of there tables with a hoof in salute.

"this here is colonel Rolling Hills, he has some information that he wishes to share with myself and your's as well, colonel as you were saying"

"thank you lieutenant, first of all, welcome, fetlock company to Forward Operations Base Celestial, I trust you all had a decent training and trip over here, now onto business, I'm sure that some or most of you have heard of bleak hills.

There eyes looked from one to another, they had heard of it, bleak hills wasn't just a mountain range full of passes and ambushes, at the end of the ridge itself lay a southerly stretch of over a twenty mile line of hills, flat grass land's and knolls. those parts where called the 'southern deaths knolls' as they had come to be known, trenches, artillery, basically no-ponies land is what the areas around there had become since the start of the war, death counts couldn't be properly collected, they were to high, for both sides.

"I take it you have, any-ways, for three days now, we have lost contact with a group of four platoons that were sent to reinforce a section of trench-line and small town originally held by three, they have come repetitively under artillery fire for weeks and only just three days ago, we lost contact, so we are sending you......to investigate, mission objectives, find out what happened and if possible get any survivors out, and then we can reinforce that line again"

one of the platoon members raised a hoof.

"do we get any support at all? sir"

"well for one with you lot being a fresh blood squad, yes"

"was it is colonel?" asked sails

"well 'he' should be here any....second....now"

*SLAM*

Everyone turned there heads to the main doors, which had been slammed open, and in said doorway stood a tall two-legged figure, his duster/armour covered in scratches, mud and the blood of others which he trailed across the floor as he walked in, he wore no helmet so they could see his features perfectly, he had pales skin covered in mud, scratches, blood and sweat, his brown muddy blood drenched hair hung limply over one of his green eyes, the other had two faint scratches criss crossed over his eye, though he could see through it, still...

He lurched his way over to a table and slumped down his rifle, a weapon very rarely seen or used by anypony else, he rested his head on the table and let out a series of long breaths and sigh's. just from the look of him he hadn't eaten, slept or washed in days, he let out shallow sigh as a voice called out to him.

"hey hon, I'll get you a steak just the way you want it, I'll bring it to you're table in a sec" the mare, sweet roll, behind the counter,the two were friends ever since he saved her brother by taking a bullet in the leg for him, he grunted in acknowledgement and turned to the group still in formation as the colonel looked over them.

"ATEN HUT" they all saluted, but matt waved them off

"nice reception you got me here hills"

"I know I work hard, sir these are some new fresh bloods, so mares and gentlesatllions, any guess as to who this here is?"

"is that...'the specialist' sir?" a suggestion came from one of the raised hoofs

"bingo was his name"

the group let out there own gasps and whispers amongst themselves, they all suddenly became excited from just being in the same room with a Equestrian war and civil hero and former celebrity.

"specialist? what in the hell happened to you?" asked hills

"me? you really wanna know?, i've just come back from a fight that was a fucking. hell. hole, there was so much blood on the battlefield you were practically swimming in it, for. five. days. I haven't stopped fighting, I haven't slept, eaten, washed, taken a shit, my hands are numb from the continuous trigger pulling, I saw hundreds die, in the space of a manner of minutes, seconds even, and all that was just for some fucking pussy reconnaissance mission........good honest ponies died out there.........none that I could bring back, high command honestly fucked this one up" he looked crest fallen down at the table and played with the wedding ring on his finger as the mare chef brought his meal out.

"here you go Hun, you need this" the said and she gave him a friendly peck on the cheek and walked back behind the counter

"you gonna be ok sir?" asked the colonel putting a hoof on his armoured shoulder, he merely nodded.

this war was taking its toll on him, the constant fighting, the constant death, he's seen more blood flow than any man should see in a lifetime, he was slowly beginning to lose himself, this war was a like a combination of world war one, two, the Vietnam war, the modern war on earth, that and something based on futuristic war, a combined hell. right now the squad he would have normally been working with right now was somewhere else.

"where's you're helmet specialist?"

"in for repairs, some lucky fucker thought he could get a shot on me and although he skimmed me he got me right in the fucking lens and the back has been cracked after if continuous wear and tear, you got any normal combat helmet's I can borrow?"

"sure sir, I'll still have your old one, you'll have it in an hour, you get some rest then report to the HQ for De-briefing then briefing of this next mission"

"you got it, and everyone else can drop it now"

they all dropped there stances and went back to the tables, matt just sat in silence whilst the ponies around him on other tables conversed between themselves with stories of each but mainly about him and his 'heroic' deeds.

but where they really heroic deeds? he didn't feel like it, how many lives had he taken just in this pathetic, lie of a war, the reason for this whole conflict was all but lost to everyone now, he didn't regret following Celestia's or Luna's commands, he would take a fucking rocket for them, they had been to good to him for him to doubt them. not now or ever.


/~\~~4 hours later~~/~\


fours hours passed, mat being asleep for two of them, although he troubled himself with nightmares, the same ones he had been having for years now, being slightly sleep deprived he woke up anyway and undressed himself down to his boxes and left his armour on a bench and dumped his dirty underclothes in a wash basket, and grabbed a new set from his own personal locker, a simple olive green shirt and dark brown trousers, he picked a spare pair of boots and disposed of the old ones.

looking like a new tool of war, he made way to the HQ, upon entering there were many ponies wandering around on radios and drawing out battle plans on tables, he walked up to the biggest one, a rectangular holo table with the colonel propped up against it as well as the lieutenant form earlier.

"so what's the shit storm you got planned for me this time hills?"

"it's a rescue mission you'll love it, there's some juicy mare soldiers out there that need rescuing form there virginity!" a few in the room let out a laugh, mat would've done too, that is, until he saw the name of the place on the hologram.

"the death knolls......why are you sending me back there, you know I would rather die then return to that....that hell"

out of all the places matrix would not go, the knolls was the number one of the large list, he'd happily take tartarus, or rainbow's heat period, any-day.

"as I was saying, nine days ago, the original three platoons led by captain blackout requested support after taking a major beating in a fire fight, four more platoons were sent in to reinforce them and as far as we know they held the line, until three days ago we heard they had come under attack once again, we lost contact with them mid transmission and haven't heard from them since"

"and why am I here?"

"I need you to help this fresh platoon ease into the fighting, they may be newly trained but they are inexperienced and have yet to go through the site of constant death, so you're going with them, I also want you whilst you're there to get photographic and video evidence of whatever the situation over there is, we have no idea if the stripes have unleashed anything new and also get anyone out of there if they are still alive, for the next time we will re-enforce this section more thoroughly........you are the only one I got that can do this"

"....................understood colonel"

"ok, you got one hour to gear up and get ready before departure, same for you white sails, get you're platoon up and at em"

"roger that sir"

"and also for this mission, the specialist is in command of this rescue, so anything that goes, is his call"

"affirmative"

"right get going"

sails saluted then cantered of and out to tell the orders to his men, hills walked up and placed a hoof on mat's arm, who was looking at the holo screen still.

"I wont pretend to know the horrors you have seen there, but I have no other better suited for this mission, I know we have friends there but we need to do this, nopony left behind, no matter what kind".

"nopony left behind, no matter what kind" mat repeated the motto as he stood and left.

"stay with it" hills said to himself as he watched him leave.

/~\~~50 minutes later~~/~\

*click....click....click...clunk*

mat finished loading the last few rounds into his tenth magazine before putting it his bandoleer pouch, he pocketed four grenades, four frags, he unsheathed and cleaned his shoulder blades and his combat knife to glistening perfection, his M9's , primed and ready for anything, and his own special rifle 'Hayley' also locked and loaded, he picked up and placed the combat helmet he used to wear before his current attire upon his head and checked its camera.

after checking all his supplies and everything else. he made way to the landing pad's and waited for the platoon to get ready whilst the zebra hunter vertibuck and another one alongside were prepared for the mission.

"hey matty! how you doing" asked bolt as he sat besides his wife, matt merely nodded back, they both took notice and didn't say anything, they had known him long enough to know his many moods, this one most of all, when he was at his most down, and the readiest to kill, sails cantered over form the other bird and approached the man.

"sir, our second bird is fuelled and loaded, my team are green for go as well" he casually saluted him. the specialist nodded back and told him to get his platoon loaded into the birds.

"star. bolt. lets go get our soldiers, nopony left behind, no matter what kind"

"Hoah" they replied, mat watched as the platoon filled into the crafts and as the last pony stepped into his, he climbed in and and sat in the door way with his leg dangling out and his rifle on his lap, he sat there in silence, the others muttering to themselves.

"is he normally this quiet" suggested one corporal

"who knows? but now's one of those times, it pays to be the strong silent type answered sails.

as the vertibuck left the ground, he spoke a phrase to himself under his breath that he once said the first time to the troops that went to where he was going all those years ago.

"when we go into battle, I will be the first to set hoof on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind. Dead or alive, we will all come home together. So help me celestia, for nopony left behind, no matter what kind"

and that's were the motto became known to everypony and official. all those years ago.

"did you say something, sir?" asked a mare questionably as everypony else sat looking at him, he just smiled to himself with his eyes covered by his hair and helmet.

"We who have seen war, will never stop seeing it. In the silence of the night, we will always hear the screams. So this is our story, for we were soldiers once, and young, I am a soldier, we are soldiers, what we do is something that most could never do and live with after, we experience things people and ponies should never see or do, yet we go through it because were trained to do it and because we choose to do it, each for our own reasons"

they all looked over each other taking in this little piece of wisdom, unexpectedly to come from the man himself, matt gazed out at the scenery as it passed by, thinking back to that day all those years ago when he was the first to lead the battles,

"nopony left behind............no matter what kind"



/~\ 30 minutes later /~\

"alright soldiers listen up, I want a nice clean dispersal, look sharp" shouted sails from his seat and matt stood in the doorway as the bird came to the ground, seconds later, wheels touched the ground and matt was already in a crouched position as the others filed out and from the other veritibuck as well.

"check you're weapons, only fire unless fired upon, you know the drill, lets go find our soldiers" the specialist shouted as the birds took to the sky and they all started sprinting upwards over the ridge towards the trenches, many smoke stacks were visible above the line, matt was the first to reach the top and instantly he regretted coming.

red, a sea of red, of bodies, of limbs, of death, death lay everywhere, the smell was the most intolerable thing mat had smelled, so bad it made him retch.

"dear celestia above" said one of the platoon troopers, they either had there snouts buried in there shirt collars or hooves, matt fought back the urge to vomit and surged forward.

"company split in two, first half walk along and check our trench line, the rest of you are with me, sails you go with the first group"

"sir!"

matt, followed by his little team trekked across the bit of no-ponies land to the other trench, the zebra's trench, he cautiously walked along the edge, rifle aimed at anything that moved, he turned on the camera on his helmet and started filming and took a few snapshots then carried on filming.

"lieutenant, anything?" he spoke into the radio,

"negative sir, we've found the seven platoons all amongst here, what's left of them"

"*sigh* roger that lieutenant, tag and bag any friendlies, there's to many bodies to bring home here, gonna have to wait till reinforcements come and do that"

"copy"

"shit" matt took a knee at the side of the trench and took of his helmet and in a small fit of rage smacked his rifle but in the ground.

"fucking wasteland! fucking death! fucking war!" he shouted whilst throwing a rock into a nearby flooded crater, his squad just looked at him in worry and sympathy, they couldn't feel like he was a the time. he stood up and placed his helmet back on his head and gripped his rifle, holding it close.

*rustle* *SNAP CLICK*

"contact movement, twenty metres, trench ahead of us" matrix had heard something move in the nearby trench and almost instantly was he dialled on it, the ponies following his lead, moved behind him rifles trained where he aimed. matt dropped down into the dugout and kept moving along until he came to the source, under a pile of mangled zebra bodies, a black and white tail flickered, albeit a small one?

"got a live one, pulling him out, cover me!" he grabbed the tail from under the pile and yanked out the struggling form, but just as squad had there guns trained and ready to shoot matrix shouted.

"WAIT" he held his hand up then brought it back, they squad couldn't see what he appeared to be holding and couldn't make out his coherent mumbling but were shocked and pointed there guns at him when he turned around.

"put you're fucking weapons down!"

"but sir that's a fucking zebra!"

yes, yes it a was a zebra, but it was just a foal. he was so scared he was so adamant to not jump into matt's arms into the first place, the foal was no older that of the cmc when they were younger, yet he was decked out in a smaller zebra military garb, why he was here? matt may have known why.

"he's a fucking foal ass-hat, he shouldn't even be here! look at him, he's scared out of his mind and no doubt he's witnessed death already, something he should never have too! and you're not fucking helping by pointing that fucking gun at him so stand down or I'll shove that thing up you're ass and pull the trigger on full auto!"

by now the other squad had walked over and had heard the beginnings of the conversation.

"what's going on here sir?" asked sails

"this dick face who is getting de-fucking promoted and quite possibly court marshalled if he doesn't put his gun down soon, was about to kill a innocent fucking child"

"but he's a zebra!" the pony shouted again

"does he look like a fucking soldier to you! DOES HE LOOK LIKE A KILLER!"

"he could be a scout!"

"bull. fucking horse shit. my ass! if you want to kill a innocent child that's been caught up in a war that shouldn't even exist! then you're just as worse as the fucking enemy"

that shut him up, the poor foal was now clinging to the humans chest, although he couldn't necessarily speak Equestria/English, he understood partially what was going on, but he clung onto the his protector like a father would do a son whilst he shivered and cried all the while mumbling in his language.

"you know what you are! you're just like the zebra's right now, wanting to kill everything without remorse, he's probably been taken from his family, forced to fight in a wrong war, witness death and be scarred for life, and you tell me we should 'shoot' him, hell if I thought like that I may as well shoot you in the dumb. fucking. hollow skull because how can a Muppet like you pass through the recruitment session!"

with that mat turned away and walked off to a nearby fallen tree with the zebra foal wrapped in the folds of his duster as he clung to him, the platoon followed scowling at the one pony who realised his actions and lowered his ears then head to the ground in shame.

the human ran his hand through the shivering colt's mane, wasn't necessarily proper fluent in zebrican, but he knew enough yo hold a conversation

"it is okay little one, you are safe now" he spoke in his most calmest"

"where is mama! where is papa!" the poor colt cried as his tears ran down the humans chest plate all the while hugging for all his worth, mat couldn't believe this whole situation, the stripes were crossing the line now. this poor child is that young that he can only speak the shortest of sentences.

"im sorry young one, I do not know, but as of now, I will take care of you, you are safe with me"

the colt let out another stream of tears, the rest of the platoon had caught up with him and were circling him and were trying their hardest's to keep their wits about them.

'there's nothing here, just bodies, nothing new to cause this, is was all a stalemate to the death...........I just want to go home'

he felt a hoof touch his chin and thus his chain of thought was broken, he looked down and saw the little colt with the saddest face he ever did see, it almost made him want to cry. but he put on a kind smile and unclipped his helmet and plopped it onto the young striped colt's head, it was obviously to big for him but he adjusted it with his little hooves so he could see, the thing that got mat though was that he was now smiling. and of course he smiled along with the rest of them.

he ruffled the fur on his back and put his arms around him like a barrier as the little soldier striped colt pressed into his chest. the mare soldiers where D'awing at the scene and the stallions had smiles, apart from the one from earlier who looked away from the group.

it was a heart warming scene to break away from the torments of war, but it wouldn't last long. mats smile was suddenly lost, he felt a chill run along his spine, a sign of darkness and something bad about to rain upon them. with one hand he held the colt to his body and the other his rifle in hand.

"something's coming! you radio, get the birds to start coming back now! shits about to go sour! everyone to the trenches move!" he started sprinting. the others in tow.

they all jumped into the nearby trench that there fellow comrades had once held and hunkered down. they all cocked there rifles and readied themselves for whatever he predicted to come.

"anyone got a mirror?" he asked, to no surprise a mare pulled out a small one from her front chest pocket, she tossed it to him as he set to young colt down to his side, he sat against the wall and held to mirror over the trench top. and what he saw in the reflection.

three tanks. not of any zebrican design he'd seen before and certainly not of a ponies. but his suspicions were rested when he saw a zebra pop out of hatch.

"shit" he spoke over the small distant noise of the engine coming closer.

"what is it"

"guys we got a tank, three of them, new ones it seems"

"you got to be kidding me"

"nope"

'well if this is one way of easing them into a fight I don't know what is'

he looked over them, it seemed none of them had come along with any explosive, not good in this situation, that is until he saw a rocket launcher along the trench in the hooves of one of the deceased.

"this is either one of the best plans i've had or the worst, yeah the worst it is"

"sir? what are you planning?"

"sails, i want to you take this colt and the rest of you to the LZ and get the hell out of here whilst i give you a distraction then come pick me up when you get out and after i've started running"

"um yes sir"

he then turned to the young colt

"its ok little one, these ponies are going to take to away to safety, but don't worry I will come back to you"

the colt protested as he shifted along the line to grab the weapon he needed along with some spare rockets

"I want you to hold onto that hat" he smiled

"sails, on my go.............3................2................1...................GO!"

he jumped up the side and ran forward, took a knee, aimed and fired, the rocket flew true and hit it dead on and exploded in a fire ball of shrapnel and soil.

"come get me you fucks!"

the other tanks turned, there guns aimed dead centre on him, he had no time to react as they both fired upon him

*KRA-BOOM!*

Author's Note:

bout damn time i updated...................sorry if there are any mistakes, bit rusty you see, still more to be written more to be revealed............as well as a major rewrite with some changes to be made as well. see ya'll later

Comments ( 14 )

THE ONE THAT COMES ONE BEFORE SECOND!

3047554 ? i cannot make sense from you're unsense?

3047559 "before second is first so he made a FIRST post ....:ajbemused:

is there a necromancer around or something? *scrutinizes the room* no? well then why are all these stories coming back to life?!
damm straight, join the horde of undead stories my friend.... good to see you.:moustache:

3050139 sorry officer is there a problem

now we must wait and see what happens to the zebra foal, i really hope something good
all in all I give this chapter 4 mustaches out of 5 :moustache::moustache::moustache::moustache:

3050879 thing is im in desperate need for an editor.......like all the time now, not just this story but my other one as well.

JFK

No update whhhhy

5911775 because my dead american president friend, i haven't.

JFK

5912801 oh okay

3051321 So you need an editor. I could help, Directly or bring the editor for my Side-fic for FO:E

6878528 yeah it would be if the rest of it was written better

7352126 I haven't touched this story in 3-4 years mate, my grammar has improved but theirs a reason why im not writing them any more, check my latest blog post and you'll see why.

Pls tell me you're not going to cancel this story. I love it

Login or register to comment