• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 3,027 Views, 326 Comments

Lovey Dovey and the Uncertain Stallion - Crystal Wishes



Lovey Dovey knows that she's destined to be with Magnate. But is he so certain?

  • ...
16
 326
 3,027

Getting to Know You

"Making lunch for my lovey dove dove, my lovey dove dove," Lovey sang as she glided across the kitchen to retrieve a bunch of grapes from the fridge.

"But aren't you Lovey Dovey?" Derelict asked from her usual spot on the recliner chair, a book of overly complicated puzzles floating in her magic. "So you're Lovey Dovey, making lunch for your lovey dove dove?"

Lovey giggled. "That's right! Magnate is Lovey Dovey's lovey dove dove. Isn't it wonderful?"

Derelict declined to comment, instead tapping her pen against the page facing her. Poor Derri, she was so terribly smart, but she didn't know a thing about love! Sometime, Lovey would have to sit her down and explain the wonderful magic of love to her. But for now, she had to get Magnate's lunch ready so when it was time, she could just go straight to Eminence Tower to see him!

"Well, when you've finished with that," Derelict said, "perhaps you can answer a few questions for me."

With a slice of bread in one hoof and a bunch of grapes in the other, Lovey gave a small flutter of her wings to glide into the living area. "Sure!"

The puzzles had been quickly replaced with a notebook, pen ready to take notes rather than solve challenges. "How long have you and Magnate known each other?"

"Oh, that's a really good question!" Lovey almost put the grapes on the bread, paused to stare at her hooves in surprise, then hurried back to the kitchen. Once she had set down the grapes in favor of a knife to spread peanut butter, she answered, "Just shy of two weeks, I think!"

Derelict choked, which was rather strange, since she hadn't been eating or drinking anything. "Only two weeks?"

"Well, when you meet your very special forever somepony, and they meet you, two weeks is a very long time, actually! Two weeks is like, forever! So in a few days, it will be our forever anniversary!"

"I see." Derelict saw a lot. Her vision was fantastic. "And after two weeks, you want to move in with him?"

Lovey spun around, hugging the nearly full lunch bag to her chest. "After two weeks, I want to do more than just move in with him!" She came to a sudden stop and put on a serious face. "But he isn't ready. And that's okay! I can wait. I mean, after all, how long can he deny that we're meant to be together?"

Before Derelict could reply, a few knocks from the door interrupted her, followed by Magnate's voice. "Lovey? Are you awake?"

"See!" Lovey practically squealed. "Meant to be!" With a skip in her step, she pranced her way over to the door and threw it open. "Good morning, Magny!"

Magnate stood there, ready for work with his little collar and tie, briefcase suspended in his magic beside him. He was such a cute little business pony! "Good morning, Lovey." He kissed her cheek, sending a little bubble of delight through her. "Do you have my lunch ready?"

Lovey blinked. "Your lunch?"

"Yes. My lunch. I'll save you the trip to the office and pick it up now." His gaze flickered to look past her and he tilted his head. "Oh, hello. Are you Lovey's roommate?"

Derelict rose from the chair and walked over, her expression as blank as always. "Yes. Hello. I'm Derelict Apathy. Do you have time before you leave for work to have a talk?"

Magnate's brow furrowed and he glanced between the two of them. "I... Not right now, actually. I'm just here to pick up my lunch."

"I see." Derelict glanced him over. Lovey wondered what she saw this time. "Lovey just finished your lunch, I believe."

Lovey squeaked out a sharp, "Nope!"

Derelict blinked at her. "Nope? Is that not what you were putting together just a moment ago?"

"Nope!" Lovey took a step back and started to close the door. "Sorry, Magny! It's not ready yet. I'll just bring it by the office later!"

Magnate put a hoof on the door to stop her. "It's fine. I can wait for you to finish it."

But this was her meal ticket! The meal that was the ticket to getting to see him at lunch! He couldn't just... just barge on in and take her ticket! Shaking her head, Lovey put more of her weight against the door. "You don't want to be late!" With a flutter of her wings for extra oomph, the door clicked shut and she quickly flipped the lock. "Toodles!"

"Lovey, just—" A sigh. "Fine, you win. I'll... see you at lunch, I guess."

Lovey pressed her ear to the door to listen to his hoofsteps as they grew distant, smiling. She would see him at lunch, no guessing necessary!

"I see."

Lovey blinked and looked over at Derelict. "See what?"

"The lunch is an excuse to see him. You're very invested in this relationship." Derelict's brow raised. "And yet he..."

Lovey swallowed, trepidation filling her all of a sudden. But why? "Huh?"

"He doesn't seem as invested." Derelict started taking notes. Notes of something. Something Lovey wasn't sure she thought was fun anymore. "I would like it if I could talk to him more than just in passing. Your relationship is fascinating."

"Oh, uh, well, I'm glad!" Her wings were clamped tightly to her sides and she glanced about. As her heart started to race with nerves, she found herself searching for them—the lines that drifted through the air to remind her that love was real.

Thin lines of pink, red, and every shade in between faded into view despite the carefully selected decor. Ponies searching for love, ponies in love... love, love, love. Love was everywhere. She had love!

Slowly, her gaze lowered to her chest. Her chest that was barren and empty, as it had been her whole life.

She was certain she had love, she just... couldn't see it.

♥ ❤ ♥ ❤ ♥

As Lovey trotted along the busy sidewalk toward Eminence Tower, she hummed a happy little tune that kept her spirits up. The brown paper bag was tucked under one wing, safe and sound.

"Oof!" Lovey grunted when she abruptly bumped into the pony in front of her. "Sorry!"

She blinked a few times when she noticed the pony had stopped to stare. She blinked again when she noticed that everypony around her had stopped moving, all of them staring. When she followed their gazes, she gasped at the sight of the fanciest carriage she had ever seen. It was super long—like it had been stretched out—and had four doors on each side!

Two posh-looking stallions were at the back of the carriage, their hind legs balanced on little steps and their forelegs hanging on to keep themselves upright and along for the ride. One dropped down onto the street, a formal tuxedo contrasting with his greying coat, and he started toward the sidewalk. The crowd parted to let him through as he approached her. "Miss Lovey?"

Lovey's ears perked. "Hi! That's me!"

"Please, come with me. Master Magnate wishes to speak with you." He offered a hoof toward her.

"Huh?" She tilted her head. "Magny? But I'm on my way to see him right now!"

With a soft chuckle, he shook his head. "Not the young master, Miss Lovey. His father."

Her lips curled into an 'o'. "Well, I'm sorry, but you'll have to tell him I'm busy! I'm taking Magny his lunch, you see. It's our special time together during his busy, busy work day!"

"I'm afraid I'm not at liberty to allow that." His hoof remained held out to her. "Ponies do not typically turn down requests from Master Magnate. The sooner you come with me, Miss, the sooner you may be on your way to see the young master."

Lovey hummed for a moment in thought. Well, how long could a little chat take? It'd be fine! She beamed and started to prance forward, putting her hoof in his. "Okay! Let's go!"

The stallion led her to the carriage and opened one of the doors, then bowed.

"Thank you, Alfred," a deep, gravelly voice said from inside.

The hairs of Lovey's coat stood on end as a chill ran down her spine. The voice was like Magnate's, but at the same time, nothing at all like it. Like if Magnate had never smiled a day in his life. Her heart wanted to run, but her hooves guided her inside.

The whole interior of the carriage was covered in a plush, dark purple velvet. Seating ran along the sides in the spaces between the doors, and across from her were two ponies that just oozed power and authority. Lovey suddenly felt very, very small.

Eyes that were just as cold as their ice blue color stared at her over a pair of glasses. "It's nice to meet you, Miss Lovey," the stallion—Magnate's father, Magnate, she assumed—said. He gestured at the seat across from him and his wife. "Please, have a seat."

Lovey swallowed and quickly did so. She felt so out of place, a bright pink mare surrounded by dark and muted colors. Magnate was a deep brown that was almost black and had a light grey, perfectly smooth mane with sideburns that dipped low on his gaunt cheeks. The mare at his side wore a silver gown that practically faded against her coat of pastel lavender. Her blonde mane—just like Magny's!—had a few streaks of aging grey running through it.

The door closed and, after the sound of what Lovey gathered was Alfred climbing back onto the carriage, she felt the momentum of them starting forward. She tried to glance out a window, but it was tinted so dark she could hardly see. All she could make out was that they were indeed moving. "Where are we going? Didn't you just want to talk?"

Magnate steepled his hooves and nodded idly. "I just don't like to sit in one place for too long. You saw yourself how ponies reacted to our presence." His brow raised. "To the matter at hoof, however. Miss Lovey, what are your intentions with our son?"

"Intentions?" Her wings fluttered lightly, dropping the lunch bag. "Oh, to live happily ever after, of course!"

"And what, pray tell, does that include? You were hired by our daughter to find a suitable partner for Magnate. Does matchmaking not pay enough for your liking?"

Lovey blinked a few times, her head tilting to one side. "It paid enough for my liking plenty! But I had to quit, because it required me to travel oh so much, and I would rather be here with Magny!" She giggled. "And happily ever after includes, well, a wedding someday, and maybe foals, and growing old together and rocking chairs and lemonade and fireflies! What else?"

Magnate glanced at his wife, who shrugged and then smiled at Lovey. "Dear," she said, her voice silky smooth, "I believe you are quite missing the point of this conversation."

"I believe so, too, Mrs. Magnate!"

"Please, my name is Affluence. Only the stallions are Magnates." She raised a hoof to clasp her cheek. "You see, it looks quite suspicious for a mare to so suddenly attach herself to our son. While we want a grandson to continue the family, we have no interest in a leech."

Lovey's nose scrunched up. "A leech? Oh, no, I'm not a leech! I'm a pegasus, though I can see how you might be confused... sort of. Not really."

The two of them looked at one another again. Magnate's ears swiveled toward Lovey before he looked back at her. "You mean for us to believe that you have an earnest interest in Magnate?"

"Well, it's true, so I guess I do expect it!" She waved a hoof. "But expect sounds so demanding. How about hope? Yes! I hope you believe me! Your son makes me happy, and I want to make him happy, too. That's why I'm bringing him lunch!"

Magnate's gaze dipped to the brown paper bag. "Is that so?"

Affluence put a hoof on her husband's foreleg and, when he glanced at her, she nodded.

"Mm." He tapped his hooves together. "We will be arriving at the manor soon. If what you're saying is true, then we will find out shortly." A brief smile quirked his lips. "If not, then we will have to ask you to return to the duty for which you were originally hired."

Lovey's ears started to droop, along with her wings and her shoulders. "But how can I do that? I'm... I'm the special somepony for Magny!"

Magnate leaned back and levitated a small glass filled with a caramel-colored liquid to his lips, taking a sip. "We'll see."

"It's nothing personal, dear," Affluence said. "We have to look out for our son's best interests, as well as our family's."

"Oh..." Lovey nodded. "I understand."

She didn't, but she wasn't going to say otherwise. They seemed serious. Did they really think she wasn't sincere? How was she supposed to prove that she was? How could she—

"Young Master!" Alfred's voice cried from outside, followed by a yelp of surprise. The carriage came to a sudden halt and one of the doors was flung open by magic.

Magnate—her Magnate, not the older one—shoved his head into the carriage, a stern look on his face. "Father! Mother! What have you done with—" His eyes met hers and a relief lightened his features. "—Lovey?"

"Hi!" she chirped, the feathers on her wings quivering with excitement. "Are you done with work already? Have we been in here that long?"

Magnate—the older one, not her Magnate—looked between them. "Well, consider me surprised."

"He really came," Affluence said, her green eyes wide.

Her Magnate glared at them, then grabbed Lovey's hoof and gave it a tug. "Come on, Lovey. I'm taking you home."

"Oh. Okay!" She flashed a smile at Magnate's mother and father. "It was nice to meet you, I think!"

They didn't get a word in before Magnate had practically dragged her out of the carriage and his magic slammed the door shut. He let out a heavy sigh, shaking his head. "What happened? What did they do to you? Did they say anything strange?"

Lovey giggled. He was still holding her hoof! Did he know that? Oh, she wasn't going to remind him, definitely not! "I don't think so! I mean, your mother mistook me for a leech, and your father is kind of scary, but I'm okay!" She tilted her head. "How did you find me?"

A light flush crossed his cheeks and he focused his gaze sternly ahead as they walked down the sidewalk. "I... I just happened to be looking out the window. I knew you were coming, so I stopped working to wait for you."

Her ears wiggled and it took everything she had not to hug him right then and there! But he already looked pretty embarrassed, and he was still holding her hoof, and that was much better than a hug. "Well, I'm okay! I think they just want to be sure you're happy."

He snorted. "If that's the impression you have after that, then I'm glad. That means you didn't spend as much time with them as I feared." He shook his head with a sigh. "They—"

"Oh, no!" Lovey stopped and jerked her head to look behind them at where the carriage had been. "I forgot your lunch!"

"What? I don't... It's fine. We're almost home, so we can just have lunch together. I'll just..." His tail flicked. "I'll just work late tonight to make up for it."

She bit her lower lip. He hated missing work, which meant that he had been really worried if he came running after her. That was really sweet! But now he was agitated. So she just felt guilty now.

They walked the rest of the way to the apartment in silence while she pondered how to make it up to him and he was content to not talk. Magnate undid the lock and they went inside, at which point he finally noticed their interlocked forehooves. His face turned red and he quickly pulled his hoof away. "S-Sorry."

"Aww, don't be sorry!" She hopped forward to nuzzle her nose to his, giggling. "I like holding hooves! That's what couples, do, right?"

He turned away from her, the flush reaching his ears, and made his way into the kitchen. "I, uh, guess so."

Lovey sat down at the table and watched him as he rummaged through the fridge. "You'd guess correctly! But, you shouldn't worry so much, you know? Your parents were nice. Kinda. I mean, they weren't mean. I don't think. I didn't feel bullied? I just felt a little confused." Her ears drooped briefly. "They just wanted to make sure I was your special somepony." She perked back up. "Which I am! Totally! Absolutely!"

"Right," he replied absently, his attention focused more on musing over lunch than responding. He didn't have much in his fridge, did he? He just had sandwiches a lot. He really liked sandwiches.

Their ears flicked simultaneously at the sound of knocks in a specific rhythm that made Lovey's heart jump with excitement.

Magnate leaned back to peer at the door, confusion in his furrowed brow. "Who—"

"Oh! I almost forgot!" Lovey hopped down from the chair. "My parents wanted to meet you! I gave them your address because when I wrote the letter, I thought I was going to live here." She threw the door open and smiled brightly at the ponies standing in front of her. "Hi, Mom! Hi, Dad!"

Author's Note:

At Magnate Manor

"What... is this?" Affluence asked, her nose upturned. "This is the lunch she made for Magnate?"

"It's not a balanced meal at all," Decorum, Affluence's maidservant, said with a huff. "A paltry sandwich, warm grapes, and tomato crisps? It's only enough food for half of a course! Where is the dessert?" She narrowed her eyes. "If I meet this mare, I will teach her how to make a proper three-course lunch befitting of the young master!"

Affluence poked a hoof at the bag of tomato crisps. "Isn't this... junk food?"

Decorum swept the lunch off the counter and into a bin. "Waste not another thought on the matter, ma'am. At least she's not serving him"—she shuddered—"Hungry Mare meals."

Affluence paled at the thought and looked as if she would faint.