• Published 14th Feb 2016
  • 3,017 Views, 326 Comments

Lovey Dovey and the Uncertain Stallion - Crystal Wishes



Lovey Dovey knows that she's destined to be with Magnate. But is he so certain?

  • ...
16
 326
 3,017

A True and Honest Thought

Magnate rolled his shoulders to try to work out the kinks that had built up in his muscles from hunching over a desk all day. He yawned wide, then started up the stairs of the apartment complex. Night had come earlier than normal, or so it felt with the gloomy clouds lingering in the sky.

If he had to be honest, the whole of Manehattan had seemed to be overcast with a grey hue since Lovey Dovey had hopped the train back to Ponyville. She had suddenly appeared, turned his world upside down with things like love lines and romance, and then just left without so much as an explanation. His heart clenched with a brief pang of regret, but he shook his head to chase away the thoughts that swelled at the sound of her name in his mind's ear.

His horn lit up to unlock the door and he walked inside his apartment, dragging his hooves ever so slightly. There, in the place he called home, was his only physical memory of her, resting on the coffee table: a letter he had received two days ago that simply read "I'll be seeing you." Other than that, his life was completely normal and utterly mundane.

He dropped down onto the couch, the letter now hovering in the air above him. The parchment was light pink and glittery. Every time he reread it, glitter found its way into his coat, which had led to an awkward conversation at work the other day. He chuckled to himself and reached out a hoof to tap on the levitated letter, sending a small shower of sparkling dust down onto his chest.

"I'll be seeing you," he muttered aloud and sighed. "When, exactly?" He touched it again, this time more of a caress than a tap.

The pink paper floated down to its place on the table and he rolled off the couch. After a simple dinner, with nothing else to occupy his time, he simply went to bed. A boring evening, just like every one he used to have before Lovey had entered his life, but somehow it just felt more lonely after having met her.

In the morning, an excited flurry of knocks came from the front door. He was nearly startled right out of bed but managed to catch himself just before he tumbled off the edge, instead stepping down with a little more grace.

"Coming!" he yelled, though his voice was raspy and he had to cough to straighten it out. "I'm coming!"

The knocking ceased. He paused to take a deep breath in and let it out slowly, hoping to look more presentable if he could smile. "Yes?" he asked as he opened the door, then added with a startled lump in his throat, "Lovey?!"

The smiling pink pegasus stood on a welcome mat. He didn't have a welcome mat, so he had to pause first to wonder from where exactly it had come. The copious amount of hearts lining the border of it was a pretty big giveaway as to the culprit for its sudden existence.

"I'm home!" Lovey squealed, hopping just barely off the ground in struggling excitement.

Magnate's gaze lifted from the mat to trace her form, which was nearly engulfed by a bulging bag tied around her middle. It looked as though it would either burst at the seams, swallow her under its weight, or both.

The sight of it pulled his thoughts back to the matter at hoof and he furrowed his brow. "Lovey, I'm happy to see you, but... what exactly is going on?"

Lovey stepped forward and managed to get a third of herself through the doorway. Her front legs braced on the sides of the frame, she grunted and strained against the bag that prevented her from moving any further. She gave up with a sudden gasp and collapsed to the ground. "I'm"—she huffed—"home, d'uh."

Though he wasn't sure why, he looked around the apartment as if to confirm it was still indeed his and that he hadn't woken up in Ponyville. "What?" was all he could think to ask.

Lovey pointed at the bag that threatened to smother her. "Help me?"

With a little effort, he maneuvered his magic around the straps that tied the bag to her, then lifted it off her and set it just outside. She gave a frustrated sigh, got back up onto all fours, and turned to look at it.

"No, no, Magny, I want the bag inside, not outside!" She tossed her head and looked up at him, a small pout on her lips. "For such a smart stallion, you totally got that wrong."

He raised a hoof in confused protest. "Not until you—" He cut himself off, the rest of the sentence ending up a strangled grunt in his throat. "No, first, hello." He stepped toward her and wrapped a hoof around her neck, then placed a light kiss on her cheek. "How was the train?"

She leaned into his embrace. "Just awful! I couldn't fit into any of the seats with my luggage, which rather upset the conductor, because he couldn't get past me to check other ponies' tickets." She sighed, nuzzling her face against his neck. "Oh, I know it's only been four days, but I missed you so very much, Magny! I'm sorry it took me so long to make arrangements!"

"Arrangements?" He pushed against her to put enough distance between them so that he could look her in the eyes. "What's going on, Lovey?"

"Huh? What do you mean?" She blinked up at him with sincere confusion. "I thought that part was obvious! I'm moving in, of course."

The words sent a sudden shock of surprise through him and he nearly jumped out of his coat. "You're what?!"

She pointed at herself. "I"—her hoof lifted and moved in a circle to gesture at his apartment—"am moving in." A bright smile lit up her muddled expression as she pointed at him. "With you!"

Magnate rubbed his temple, slowly shaking his head. "Lovey, it's too soon for you to move in! We have only been on one date."

"Oh, we can still go on dates!" She giggled and pranced over to her bag. "But we're meant to be, so why delay? That just seems silly."

"To you, perhaps," he retorted a little too sarcastically. The words fell out faster than he could think them through. "To the rest of us, your 'meant to be' nonsense is just that: nonsense." Finally, his brain caught up and his eyes widened. "That's not—What I mean is—Lovey, I—"

She turned to face him with an amused smile, the corners of her mouth wrinkling as though she was struggling to keep laughter at bay.

"... You're smiling?" He blinked. "You're not upset?"

"Of course I'm not upset! Silly Magny." She giggled and leaned against the doorframe. The light caught in her eyes as she gazed up at him, making his heart skip a beat. "I've been a matchmaker my whole life. You don't think you're the first naysayer, do you?" Another giggle bubbled up. "Everypony comes around eventually at their own pace. And when you come around to realize you're my very special forever somepony, I'll be ready! I mean, I'm totally ready now, but I can wait."

Magnate sighed. He put a hoof on hers, a small, weak smile on his lips. "I'm sorry. Anyway, you can stay here until you go back to Ponyville, if you'd like."

Lovey's smile fell and she tilted her head. "Isn't that the same thing as moving in?"

"No." His smile similarly fell. "My version implies you leaving to return home at some point."

"But I can't do that!" She sat on her haunches and crossed her forelegs over her chest.

His voice grew strained as he pressed, "And why not?"

Lovey huffed. "Because Juniper's living there now. I sold it to her since I thought I wouldn't need it anymore. Which I don't!" Her cheery air returned as she dropped back down onto all fours.

He stared at her, mouth slightly agape. "What?"

"I'll just use the bits to rent an apartment for the time being. They were going to help cover my portion of the rent, since I figured I should pull my weight, you know, but it'll take me some time to get settled here. So the upfront bits seemed like a good idea!"

Magnate sighed and, despite knowing better, tried to catch her attention with a small wave of his hoof. It was no use. The rambling had started and she was lost to the world.

"Of course," she continued, "that's not to say that I won't figure something out for bits once my little fund runs dry. I don't know exactly what I'll do, though. I can't be a matchmaker anymore, considering that requires me to travel all the time, and I'm ready to settle down!" She giggled, covering her mouth with both hooves like a school filly.

"Lovey..." He waved his hoof again.

"Oh, Celestia, who ever thought I would be the one who gets to settle down? After attending so many weddings for happy clients, I get to attend my own! As the bride! Should I start booking a venue? Is it too soon for that, too?"

"Lovey!" he shouted and grabbed her by the shoulders. He gave her a small shake for good measure. "Lovey, look at me!"

Lovey blinked. Her gaze, which had glossed over with glee, focused on him. "Huh?" She blinked again and smiled. "What's wrong, Magny?"

He took a moment to catch his breath and wits before he asked carefully, "How can you sell your house, give up your job... leave your whole life behind?" He frowned. "What if it doesn't work out between us?"

One of her ears started to fold against her mane, but it snapped back into its usual perky, upright position. "Of course it will! We're soulmates, after all." She playfully bopped him on the snout. "Don't be such a Nervous Nelly!"

He sighed. "Let's just start with breakfast, okay?" He let go of her and walked to the kitchen. "I'll make it while you figure out how to get your things inside."

"Roger that!" She bounced back into the hall and grabbed the bag with her teeth, then tugged with all her might.

He listened to her struggle with a small amount of amusement, even glancing over in between cooking steps. "Lovey?" he finally asked.

She grunted and let go of the bag to reply, "Yes?"

"It's Saturday." He transferred the light meal to two plates. "Do you want to go on a date after breakfast?"

A high-pitched, giggling squeal erupted while her wings fluttered, lifting her off the ground. "Abso-positively-lutely!" She sailed across the living room and threw her forelegs around his neck, swung around, and landed beside him. "Where are we going to go? What are we going to do?"

He smiled down at her. "It's a surprise."

She squealed again and climbed onto one of the chairs. Her hindhooves swung back and forth while she wiggled and bounced. "I'm so excited!"

"I know." He sat across from her. "Now, eat your breakfast before your hummingbird wings blow it away."

Her wings paused for a moment, then continued flapping rapidly. "Okay!"