• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 15,764 Views, 368 Comments

Discord's Apprentice - Architect Ironturtle



Discord teaches Pinkie Pie chaos magic. God help us all.

  • ...
11
 368
 15,764

Interlude: Dreamwalker, meet Dreamtalker

With a shove that was as much physical as mental, Luna's spirit cast off from her body into the Dreamvoid. After a quick lap around her jurisdiction (which didn't include the dreams of other races) to make sure nopony urgently needed her help , Luna began her day-ahem, nightly chore of killing nightmares. She worked deftly and efficiently, saving a green foal from drowning, pulling a tan mare out of a collapsing house, and one odd instance where she fought off a swarm of seagulls that were shouting "Mine!" over and over in a cacophonous din of doom, saving a blue fishermare's catch.

Pausing to take a break, Luna went to visit the only subject of hers that was guaranteed to be having a pleasant rest: Pinkie Pie. Her bubble was always easy to find, given that it was the only one shaped like a balloon, instead of being a perfect sphere like most of the others. Luna was hoping she could relax in whatever frosty paradise Pinkie had created. However, as she approached, she saw something she never would have expected. Pinkie Pie's dream bubble was warping. Luna didn't even know that was possible, let alone thought she would ever see it. With a renewed sense of urgency, she leapt into action, diving into the dream to figure just what was going on.

What she found was pure, true, unadulterated Chaos. She saw uncountable versions of Pinkie Pie, in any and every conceivable state of dress and mind. Chicken costumes, aprons, party suits, happy, sad, mad, scared, laughing, crazy, you name it, it was in there somewhere. Then there was the landscape itself, which didn't even pretend to have a consistent orientation. Gravity would change direction at a moment's notice, if it was even present at all. Tunnels of air, land, and water crisscrossed Luna's vision, with occasional pockets of either making islands, ponds, or caverns in the mess. The entire dream looked like an ant nest that had been levitated out of the ground. Luna stepped into the maze, body tense, eyes alert. This was like no nightmare she'd ever experienced, past or present, and the sooner she found Pinkie Pie, the sooner she could figure out what had caused this. As she advanced deeper into the labyrinth, more impossibilities presented themselves before her. Stairways that lead to nowhere, doors that opened onto more than one exit, mutated flowers, liquid clocks, a veritable rainbow of grass, trees that danced, rabbits that debated, flamingos playing golf, butterflies turning into caterpillars, clouds that adsorbed rain, ponies with the heads where their tails should be, schools of fish with hooves and wings, it was overwhelming. Luna's eyes crossed just trying to take it all in.

After sidestepping a barbershop quartet singing something about a hairbrush, Luna finally spotted Pinkie Pie, curled up, out cold, on a small piece of grass and dirt in the center of a whirling vortex of baked confectioneries. If one the pastries got too close, her mouth would open and she would swallow it whole, but otherwise she didn't seem to be aware of what was happening around her. Luna flew up to meet her, dodging a 15 layer cake and a migration of apple turnovers along the way. She landed delicately on the grass of what seemed to be the only normal piece of turf in the entire dream, and poked Pinkie Pie with her hoof. When that didn't cause her to stir, Luna picked her up, held her to her barrel, and cast a spell that induced lucid dreaming, the one she used to talk with anypony who needed her help.

It was like a master martial artist striking the surface of a choppy pond. The Chaos blew away in a perfect circle of clarity, and the entire dreamscape righted itself, turning into what Luna recognized as the town park outside of Ponyville, with Sugarcube Corner off in the distance. The sky was blue, the grass was green, and everything was back to normal. Not a single trace of the previous madness remained.

"Princess Luna? I thought I went to sleep, not back to Canterlot," Pinkie said, yawning slowly as she snuggled a little deeper into Luna's barrel, and snapping Luna out of her confusion at the sudden change.

"You are asleep, Pinkie Pie," Luna replied, smiling softly. "When you dream, I can come to visit."

Pinkie looked up at her skeptically. "If I'm dreaming, then where's the frosting?" A giant mound of frosting dropped out the sky and landed right next to her. "Oh, there it is." Pinkie jumped out of Luna's forelimbs and devoured the pile in one massive bite, then bounced around to face her, eyes full of excitement.

"Wow, you've never visited me in a dream before! Are you here to have some dream cupcakes, or a dream party, or GASP, a dream cupcake party!?" She immediately dashed off towards Sugercube Corner.

Luna chuckled as she followed Pinkie. "No Pinkie, I'm just here to talk. I've noticed that your dreams are a lot more, chaotic, than usual." The understatement of the century, she thought to herself, "Is there something going on with you and Discord that I should know about?"

Pinkie froze midstep and thought, sending arcs of electricity over the ground as her mind raced. "Um, nope." She eventually said, the grounded lightning dissipating. "Everything's just hunky!" She muscled out for a second, before deflating like one of her balloons.

"I suppose," Luna replied, still uncertain, "You don't seem to be having any problems now, although that may just be my influence. If you remember anything, please let me know. Thank you for your time, Pinkie, I bid thee good night." Luna exited the dream, stepping out into the void between the bubbles. She stuck around for a bit to make sure nothing was wrong with Pinkie's dream, just to be cautious. While they did seem to be a bit more random than usual, it wasn't anything like the crazy storm of thoughts and emotions she'd found previously, and the bubble was back in its original shape, even if that shape was now upside down.

With one last parting glance, Luna went back to work. She cleared the rest of the nightmares in record time, before going back to her own bubble to get some sleep. Along the way she passed Discord's bubble, which looked like a mobius strip crossed with a figure eight crossed with an unknown number of polygons, and her sister's, which looked like a caricature of the sun she moved every day, before stopping in front of her own bubble, in the form of a crescent moon, still brooding on Pinkie Pie's irregularity. Whatever had caused the outburst, it was either gone, controlled, or suppressed, although Luna hoped it was the first option. She didn't even want to think about what would happen if it was one of the others.

Author's Note:

Sorry this took so long. I hadn't actually planned on putting a dream scene in here, so I didn't have anything ready to go. Remember to like, everypony!