• Published 20th Feb 2015
  • 8,966 Views, 311 Comments

Fauna of Mirrors - Eggtaro



What would you do when your brand new bathroom mirror doesn't act like a normal mirror but instead acts as a looking glass to another world (bathroom, really) and vice-versa?

  • ...
34
 311
 8,966

And This Little Sweetie Cried Whee Whee Whee At The Taco Shop

"Greetings!" Twilight said gleefully to Creme, as she and Rainbow entered the bathroom. She was flooded with euphoria as she set her saddle bags down on the puffy, fluffy floor underneath her hooves. Her horn was then surrounded by a light raspberry-coloured aura as she lifted her tools and books from her saddle bags with her magic.

Creme pulled up a chair and sat down in front of the mirror, staring curiously at the new pony that had entered the bathroom. She looked a lot different than Rainbow Dash. Besides from her light mulberry-coloured coat and her sapphire blue-coloured mane (With streaks of violet and rose.), she has wings too. But she also has a horn.

From what Rainbow had taught and told him about the land of Equestria and the friends she has there, Twilight Sparkle was once a unicorn. But after going through some sort of mysterious magical magic madness episode (Something about Twilight accidentally casting an ancient unfinished spell, but was then able to complete the spell and solve the problem.), she was then turned into an alicorn.

Alicorns, according to Rainbow Dash's knowledge, are ponies that has both the power of flight and magic. Being an alicorn also meant being royalty. Thus the name, Princess Twilight Sparkle. There are only 5 of them in the land of Equestria, and all of them are mares. The first one, Princess Celestia, was in charge of raising the sun, and is one of the rulers of Equestria. Princess Luna, the younger sister of Celestia, was in charge of raising the moon, and she too, ruled over Equestria alongside her older sister.

The third alicorn, Princess Mi Amore Cadenza or Princess Cadance, is the ruler and guardian of a place called the Crystal Empire. Rainbow said that Princess Cadance has the power to spread love and reduce anger among ponies through her magic. She is also married to Twilight's older brother.

The fourth and newest alicorn to join the royal family was none other than Twilight Sparkle. She is the leader of the Elements of Harmony, and the possessor of the element of magic. (6 in total: Honesty, Generosity, Kindness, Laughter, Loyalty, and Magic) Rainbow Dash said she possesses the element of loyalty.

Rainbow had also told Creme that she and her friends are also tasked with being the protectors of Equestria. Their job was to ensure no harm would befall upon their homeland. She recounted the journeys and adventures they had and the foes they had encountered to Creme. Most of the stories, however, tended to be more focused on Rainbow Dash instead of her friends.

The last alicorn was a mystery, and still remained so. All Rainbow Dash could say was that the alicorn was believed to be the very first alicorn to have existed in Equestria. There wasn't much information about the mare, however. Even Celestia has little knowledge about the first alicorn. And she has already lived for more than a thousand years.

The ponies of Equestria called her Faust, the first queen and the first alicorn of the kingdom.

Creme blinked and allowed a yawn to escaped his lips. He had been watching Twilight moving about Rainbow's bathroom, who was still busy pulling out books from her bags, and was slowly starting to get sleepy. He wondered to himself how much longer all of this was going to take.

"Psst! Creme!" a soft voice whispered. Creme stifled another yawn and saw Rainbow's face slowly appearing in front of him, blocking Twilight from view.

"Yeah?" he asked drowsily.

Rainbow was about to open her mouth to speak but was suddenly interrupted by Twilight. "Alright! Everything is in place! Rainbow, if you don't mind, I would like to begin with my study."

Rainbow looked at Creme for a second longer before letting out a sigh and stepping away from the mirror, giving Creme the full view of the bathroom. Except it no longer looked like a bathroom. The entire place now looked more like a mix of cloud, bathroom, and library. There were papers, quills, and ink bottles on the floor. Stacks of books were all over the place, some of them open, some of them closed. There were also some equipments that were placed next to Twilight. Equipments that would be more fitting inside a laboratory instead of inside a bathroom.

Rainbow's jaw dropped at the sight of her bathroom. "Twilight, what did you do?" she asked in a shocked tone, as she stared around the room. She lifted a book that was near her with a hoof. "What's with all the books?"

Twilight raised an eyebrow at her, as if surprised by Rainbow's question. "I wanted to be sure that I have all the proper materials for this study. So, I brought every single book that has a possibility of supplying and providing information for me, with me."

"But what about all of that?"Rainbow asked, pointing at the equipment beside Twilight.

"Oh, these?" Twilight said as she lifted a roll of multi-coloured wires using her magic. "Just something that I might need."

"For what?" Rainbow cried, smacking her forehead.

Twilight smiled. "Oh, you know. Just in case." she said, her eyes twinkling.

Rainbow shook her head from side to side. "I don't like where this is going."

"Me too." Creme said nervously from behind his mirror. Looks like everything that Rainbow had told him about Twilight were true: She can be quite terrifying. Creme gulped, a feeling of fear slowly surfacing from his stomach.

"And you must be Creme Fraiche!" Twilight suddenly zoomed pass Rainbow and came face to face with Creme. Creme was grateful that the mirror was here, he wasn't sure what would happen if he were to actually meet the alicorn without the use of the mirror. "My name is Twilight Sparkle." The alicorn said.

"H-hello." Creme stuttered. "N-nice to m-meet you."

"Now, if you don't mind, Creme." Twilight said, pulling out a piece of paper with her hoof while summoning a quill and an ink bottle with her magic. "I would like to ask you some questions."

* * * * * *

"Fascinating!" Twilight exclaimed as she continued to write on her paper. "Humans are simply fascinating!" she pulled out a fresh piece of paper and resumed jotting.

Creme took a sip of water from his cup, his throat feeling a little dry. It was nearly approaching midnight and all the questions Twilight had been asking him for the past couple of hours was about his world and the inhabitants that live in it, nothing else.

"Science and technology is such a marvel in your world!" Twilight said, her eyes sparkling with joy. "All the feats and achievements your species has accomplished! All the discoveries made! All the knowledge acquired!" she sighed happily. "How I wish I could study more about your world!"

Creme smiled at her. She was not as terrifying and menacing as he thought her to be. She simply has a huge thirst for knowledge, and merely wishes to see it sated.

"Thank you very much, Creme!" Twilight said, stacking her mountain of papers neatly with her magic . "The fact that I am actually able to communicate with an entirely different species from another planet is simply astounding!" She skipped around the packed room. "This proves that there are other worlds out there! We now have strong evidence that we are indeed not alone in this universe!"

"That's great and all, Twilight but---" Rainbow yawned loudly, not bothering to cover her mouth. "---what does any of this got to do with the mirror?"

"Don't you understand, Rainbow?" Twilight teleported over to Rainbow and grabbed her by the face, pulling their muzzles close to each other. "This is the discovery of a life time! The answer that all of us have been searching for!"

"You mean you have been searching for, right?" Rainbow said, rolling her eyes at Twilight. "Look, I know you want to continue questioning Creme about his 'fascinating' world and all, but didn't you say you wanted to study the mirror?"

Twilight grinned sheepishly at Rainbow, rubbing the back of her neck. "Well...yes, but all of this is part of the study!" Twilight quickly grabbed her notes that were written down on the papers and showed them to Rainbow. "I need this information to help me understand the mirror much better!"

"No, you don't." Rainbow said, yawning. "None of the questions you were asking Creme had anything to do with the mirror at all. You just wanted the notes for yourself don't you?"

"Wha...? No! I would never do such a thing. I honestly believe that these notes would help me understand Creme bet--- eep!" Twilight quickly covered her mouth with a hoof. But the damage was done.

"AH-HA! I knew it!" Rainbow shouted, pointing a hoof at Twilight, a look of pride painted all over her face. "You were never interested in the mirror in the first place were you?"

Twilight opened her mouth to reply, but no words escaped her. She kept quiet for a moment, before sighing in defeat. "No...I was actually more interested in Creme and his world instead of the mirror." She looked at Rainbow with an apologetic look on her face. "I'm sorry, Rainbow. I was so caught up by the prospect of being able to learn about an alien species---"

Excuse me? Creme thought.

"---that I completely forgot about the reason you asked for my help in the first place." Twilight walked closer to Rainbow. "Can you ever forgive me?"

Rainbow grinned at her friend. "Of course I forgive you, silly. There was no real harm done anyway."

"Except reducing the amount of sleep I'll be getting tonight."

"Shut up, Creme!" Rainbow hissed. She looked back at Twilight. "All I'm trying to say here is, you might want to tell me about this first, next time. You know, that you wanted to study about Creme's world too. At least we'll be more prepared." and she gave Twilight a hug.

Was that really necessary? Creme thought, scratching his head.

"But Creme was right about one thing." Rainbow said, as she separated from Twilight. "We won't be getting enough sleep if this goes on."

Twilight stared at her notes and then to the mirror. "I suppose...we can continue tomorrow." Twilight said slowly. "And for real this time." she added, smiling at Rainbow.

Rainbow nodded lazily, her eyelids barely able to stay open. "Good! Now if you don't mind, this mare needs her beauty sleep." and with that said she trotted out of the bathroom.

Twilight giggled softly as her friend left the bathroom. She turned around and approached the mirror, where Creme was still waiting.

"So..I guess we're done for tonight?" he asked Twilight.

Twilight nodded. "I'm sorry for causing you so much trouble, Creme."

"No harm done." Creme said, grinning. "There's really no need to apologize you know. If I were you, I'll be also quite interested in your world too."

Twilight smiled at Creme. "Haven't Rainbow told you about Equestria yet?" she asked.

"She did but...most of the information tend to change into stories of how awesome and cool she is." Creme said, and they both laughed.

"Rainbow can be like that sometimes." Twilight said, stifling a giggle. "If you want to, I can tell you all about our world. When we are not sleepy that is."

"Sounds like a plan." Creme said. "Are you going to be sleeping at her place tonight?"

Twilight yawned, and nodded. "Mmm hmm. But I'm gonna tidy up her bathroom first before going to bed. I already have you as the source for information anyway."

Creme chuckled. "Well then, I hope my knowledge will be enough to satisfy your needs, your highness." and he bowed his head a little.

Twilight giggled. "Why thank you, good sir. I'm positively sure you'll be all that I need."

After wishing Twilight goodnight. Creme went to take a quick shower. The cold water splashing all over his body made him wide awake, but he didn't mind it. He would fall asleep eventually. Once done with the shower he proceeded to brush his teeth.

First Rainbow Dash, and now Twilight Sparkle. Would he be meeting more of these talking ponies? What would happen then? Will Twilight be able to figure out the mysteries surrounding the mirror? Creme could only ask himself these questions, but none of them can be answered. Not yet.

As Creme laid down on his bed, waiting for the sleep to consume him, his thoughts slowly wandered towards Sonata, and his promise to treat her to lunch the following day.

Tacos huh? Creme thought. He grinned to himself and closed his eyes, allowing the Sandman to do his job.

* * * * * *

Twilight shoved the last of her books back into her saddle bags before staring around the bathroom. It was no longer surrounded with books and lab equipments. She smiled to herself and walked towards the mirror, wanting to give it a last look before going to bed.

Since Creme had already went to bed. Twilight could only see her reflection in the mirror. But the sounds of someone snoring can be faintly heard from the other side of the mirror. Twilight chuckled. Humans are indeed fascinating creatures. she thought to herself.

Twilight was about to turn around when something caught her eye. She crouched down on all fours, just below the mirror, and saw written words scribbled neatly on the underside of the mirror. She raised an eyebrow. How could she had miss this? She probably wasn't paying any real attention during her earlier inspection of the mirror.

Twilight turned her head to look behind her. She could make out Rainbow's loud snoring. Twilight focused her attention back on the mirror and carefully removed it from the wall with her magic. She set it laying down on the cloud floor, giving herself a better view of the words found on the mirror's underside:

BTSS .ɿɘdmɘmɘɿ ƨyɒwlɒ ,ƚɘǫɿoʇ ɿɘvɘИ .lɘɘƚƨ nɒʜƚ ɿɘǫnoɿƚƨ bnɒ ,boold nɒʜƚ ɿɘʞɔiʜƚ ƨi ɿɘʜƚɘǫoƚ ƨu ƨƚɔɘnnoɔ ƚɒʜƚ bnod ɘʜT .ƨƚɿɒɘʜ ƨ'ɿɘʜƚo ʜɔɒɘ ni ɘd ƨyɒwlɒ lliw ɘw ƚɒʜƚ ɿɘdmɘmɘЯ ,ɿɘʜƚɘǫoƚ ɿɘǫnol on ɘɿɒ ɘw nɘʜw nɘvƎ.

Twilight stared at the words, questions already bombarding her brain. What sort of language was this written in? Who was the one that wrote it? Who is BTSS?

Twilight was going to find out. One way or another.

* * * * * *

The knocking on Creme's front door woke him up. He was having a weird dream, something to do with talking horses that has magical powers. He sat up on his bed and stretched, yawning loudly.

The knocking continued, a little louder than before. Creme rubbed his eyes and stared at his clock. It was ten in the morning. He slowly and reluctantly got out of his bed, and headed for the door. He scratched his itchy butt before opening the door.

Sonata Dusk was standing in front of him, with a huge smile on her face. Her hair was tied into a ponytail, and the scent of shampoo was already filling Creme's nostrils. They both stared at each other for a while. One smiling. One sleepy.

"Morning, sleepy head!" Sonata said cheerfully, giving him a funny salute. "Are you ready for lunch?"

"Sonata...it's...it's...ten in t-the---" Creme yawned. "---morning. Lunch is like...in about two hours."

"I know! But I thought I could maybe show you around the area first before grabbing lunch!"

Creme blinked slowly. He was still feeling a bit groggy. "Fine...just let me---" he yawned again. "---freshen myself up." he motioned for her to come in his apartment. "Come in...come in..."

Sonata skipped passed Creme and stared at the apartment. She placed her hands behind her back, and walked around the place, humming softly.

"Have a seat." Creme said, waving his hand at the couch. "Just give me a few minutes. I'll be right out." and he entered the bathroom.

Sonata sat down on the couch, and looked about. She spotted Creme's bedroom, where the door was left wide open, exposing the contents of the room to her eyes. She giggled to herself. Her eyes continued to wandered around the room when she spotted a mirror on top of a table. She raised an eyebrow and made her way towards the mirror.

Why would someone put a mirror here? she asked herself mentally. She approached the mirror and noticed 4 dragon's head on each of the mirrors corners. She touched one of the heads with her finger, getting a feel for the surface. She then stood herself in front of the mirror, wanting to have a look at her reflection.

Except that something else was already staring back at her.

The sudden loud scream almost made Creme slipped. He quickly covered himself with a towel and made a dash out the bathroom. As he opened the door, Sonata suddenly ran behind him, using Creme as a shield from the danger she was about to face. She poked her head out from behind Creme's shoulder and glared at the mirror on top of the table. Creme followed her glare and saw Rainbow Dash looking back at them.

"Oh, crap."

Author's Note:

Hey there folks! Here's the next chapter for this story! As always, I hope you folks enjoyed this chapter! :yay: