• Published 20th Feb 2015
  • 8,970 Views, 311 Comments

Fauna of Mirrors - Eggtaro



What would you do when your brand new bathroom mirror doesn't act like a normal mirror but instead acts as a looking glass to another world (bathroom, really) and vice-versa?

  • ...
34
 311
 8,970

This Little Piggy Went To Work

Creme Fraiche closed and locked the door to his apartment with his backpack slung over his shoulder. The events of earlier were still replaying over and over in his mind.

Rainbow Dash saw my banana. Creme thought sheepishly, smacking himself on the forehead. It had only been one night since they made each other's acquaintance, and already things got off to a bizarre start.

Did she know what it was though? Do ponies from her world understand human anatomy? Well... judging from how Rainbow acted earlier upon seeing his thing... Even if she didn't know about human anatomy, it wasn't that difficult to discern.

Creme shook his head roughly from side to side. He needed to forget about the whole thing, he didn't want to spend the rest of the day thinking about yogurt guns.

Creme turned around and made his way down the stairs. There was an elevator he could have used, but there was a sign glued on to the elevator's door with 'Out of Order' written on it in red ink. He quickly but carefully made his way down, he was running late after all. After slipping on the toilet floor, he could've swore he broke something. Luckily, nothing was broken...except his pride. Creme sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose.

As Creme's foot crossed the last step from the stairs, the sound of heavy, thunderous footsteps came from above him. Before Creme could even turn to look up, someone suddenly rushed past him, bumping him hard on the shoulder.

"Hey!" Creme cried out, his hand reaching out and grabbing on to his assailant's arm. His supposed attacker let out a surprised "Whoa!" and braked, swiftly turning around to face Creme.

Creme glared angrily back at the person who bumped into him. It was extremely dangerous to run down the stairs at full speed. The person could've hurt both Creme and himself.

"Oh! I'm so, so sorry mister! I hope I didn't hurt you or anything!"

Mister? Creme blinked confusedly at the person. His expression soften as he got a better look at the stranger in front of him.

Herself. Creme thought. The person that had bumped into Creme wasn't actually a male like he previously thought. It was actually a young woman who had bluish-white skin. Her arctic-blue hair with persian-blue stripes was long and messy. She gave Creme the impression of someone who had woken up late. Very late.

She looked fairly cute though.

"B-b-baa---" Creme said stupidly, stunned.

"Baa? Baa baa? Like a sheep?" she asked, cocking her head to one side. "I'd like to play animal sounds with you, mister. But I really gotta run!" The young woman wiggled her arm free from Creme's grasp and dashed out the entrance, leaving Creme in her dust.

Creme just stood there, his mouth wide open, with his hand still in the air.

* * * * * *

Rainbow Dash opened the front door and grinned widely at the sight of Twilight Sparkle standing at her doorsteps.

"Hey, Twilight! Glad you could make it. I'm not bothering you from your royal duties, right?" She asked her friend, taking a step back to give room for Twilight to enter.

"No, not at all, Rainbow. I may be a Princess now, but that doesn't mean I can't make time for my friends." They both gave each other a friendly hug.

"Heh, how's the wings? Got used to them yet?" Rainbow asked, pointing at Twilight's wings with a hoof.

Twilight grinned sheepishly, folding her wings back. "It's still so weird to suddenly have a pair of wings. Magic? I can handle. But this?" Her wings flared out, smacking Rainbow in the face. "See what I mean?" she asked, smiling apologetically.

"Yeah, I could tell." Rainbow deadpanned, rubbing her muzzle. "At least you can walk on clouds now."

"Yes! It's really quite fascinating! I don't even need to cast any form of magic! I wonder if it's because of the sudden addition of wings." Twilight rubbed her chin in thought, and began mumbling to herself. Rainbow rolled her eyes, with a soft smile on her lips. Typical Twilight.

"Come on, Twilight." Rainbow prodded her friend in the side with her hoof, bringing Twilight back to her senses. "I'll show you the mirror."

"Ah, yes! The mirror! You said it showed you another world instead of your reflection?" Twilight asked eagerly, following behind Rainbow as she led the way upstairs. "What did you see? What was it like?"

Rainbow couldn't help but giggle at the bombardment of questions from Twilight. "Well, technically it shows a room...a...a bathroom." Rainbow felt the heat in her cheeks rising, remembering something.

"Rainbow? Are you okay? You look a little red."

"Wha-what? I'm fine! I feel great! How about you, Twilight?" Rainbow said quickly, flashing an awkward grin at Twilight.

Twilight eyed her friend suspiciously, "I feel fine." she replied slowly.

"Great! A-a-anyway, here it is!" Rainbow motioned at her bathroom mirror. "That's the mirror I was telling you about."

Twilight trotted past Rainbow and approached the mirror. "May I?" she asked. Before Rainbow could give her a response, she had already levitated the mirror with her magic. She brought it close to her face for inspection.

"Hmmm...interesting, very interesting...yes, yes...absolutely fascinating..." Twilight muttered softly to herself, turning the mirror around with her magic.

Rainbow said nothing, she knew better than to disturb Twilight when she was in her zone. All Rainbow needed to do now was wait. Patiently wait. She secretly hoped that she won't need to wait long.

"Where did you get this mirror from?" Twilight asked, her eyes still fixed on the mirror.

"I got it from a sale."

"A sale? In Ponyville?"

"Yeah, I can't believe that they were selling such a cool looking mirror for such a cheap price!"

Twilight studied the mirror. By Rainbow's definition of 'cool, She was probably talking about the four individual dragon's heads. Each affixed to of the mirror's corners.

"Who did you buy it from?"

Rainbow rubbed her chin, pondering. "To tell you the truth, I don't really remember."

Twilight turned around, "You don't remember?" she asked, to which Rainbow nodded.

"I was distracted by the coolness of the mirror."

Twilight rolled her eyes at Rainbow. Returning her attention to the mirror, she stared at the front side. Her own reflection stared back at her. "How does it work exactly?"

"Oh! Creme needs to be here for the mirror to actually work."

Twilight looked up at Rainbow "Creme?" she asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Creme Fraiche, the hoo-man. He said something about how the mirror only shows the other world when we both are staring at the mirror at the same time."

Twilight nodded thoughtfully. "Interesting, what else did this...err... Creme say?"

"He said that sound won't be affected even if we are not staring at each other."

"So that means his world and ours are constantly connected...through sound and sight." Twilight mumbled, nodding knowingly. "But how does it work? Why this mirror in particular? Who was the pony that sold it?" she scratched her head, her mind overflowing with questions. She remained silent for a while, deep in thought.

"Rainbow, can I borrow this mirror, by any chance?"

* * * * * *

Creme knocked on the manager's office door before entering. He was late by about 5 minutes. He prayed that his new manager wasn't someone who loathed tardiness.

"Good morning." Creme said as he peeked into the room, looking around. What he saw startled him. The office room, from top to bottom, was filled with odd and strange things. There were paintings of chocolate milkshakes hanging from the wall. A real, live beaver was sleeping on the desk in front of him. The room was also painted in the most uncanny combination of colours ever possible. Grey and bright yellow.

What the fuck? Creme entered the room and closed the door behind him. "Hello?" he called out.

"Hello!" said a voice from behind, making Creme jump. He spun around to find a tall and skinny man looking at him.

"Creme Fraiche?" the man asked, smiling at him. Creme nodded nervously. The man walked pass Creme and sat in a leather office chair behind the desk. The man looked like he was in his 50s. He had short white hair, with a mustache and goatee of the same colour. He was wearing a plaid suit that looked like it came from the 70s, with a matching bow-tie.

Just like the room, the man looked bizarre and very odd. They both stared at each other in silence.

"So, Creme! Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the Holy Shrimp restaurant. The 8th---and newest---Holy Shrimp to be opened in this fine, fine country." The man clapped and rubbed his hands together and grinned at Creme. "My name is Ord." he added, standing up and extending his hand out at Creme.

Creme shook Ord's hand. "Thank you, Mr.Ord. It's a pleasure to be here."

"I believe your previous boss had told you the reason why you were transferred here?"

Creme shook his head. "Not really, no. I was just given a memo."

"Hmmm... I see, but you've managed to find a place to stay yes?"

"Yes, Mr.Ord. I was lucky enough to find a nice apartment nearby."

"Please! Just call me Ord. All this 'Mister' business makes me feel old." Ord stood up and headed towards Creme. He placed his hand over Creme's shoulder and dragged him out of the office. "Shall I give you the grand tour?"

* * * * * *

"As you can see, we are still lacking in chefs and waiters at the moment. Since I don't cook very well myself, I am unable to assist anyone in the kitchen. You, on the other hand, are experienced. You lead the entire kitchen staff at your previous Holy Shrimp, correct?"

"Yes, but it really wasn't anything that great. I just did what I was told to do." Creme said, feeling embarrassed.

"Nonsense. Why else would your boss send you here? He must have a lot of faith in you." Ord said, smiling. "I will be helping out at the front, while you will be aiding those in the kitchen."

Creme nodded. "How many kitchen staff are there at the moment?" he asked Ord.

"Including you, three. As for the servers, also three, which includes myself of course."

Creme opened his mouth again, ready to ask more questions when someone crashed into him, sending him flying towards the floor.

"Oooohhh..." he groaned, sitting up and rubbing the back of his head. "Did someone order the battering ram?" Creme opened his eyes and stared at the person who had crashed into him. She looked familiar.

"You!" Creme shouted upon recognizing the person, while pointing his finger at her. It was the same person that had bumped into him that morning. She was wearing a black and white waitress uniform. Her hair was now tied up in a ponytail. She blinked at Creme, rubbing her nose. She let out a yelp and pointed at Creme.

"Sheep man!" she shouted.

"Ah! I see you have already met one of our waitress." Ord said, offering his hands to both Creme and the waitress. "But it seems that introductions are still in order."

Ord pulled Creme up, and helped dust his back. He turned to face the waitress. "Come now, please introduce yourself to our newest chef!"

The waitress dusted herself off first, before smiling sweetly at Creme. She gave him a funny salute and grinned widely.

"Hi there! I'm Sonata Dusk!"

Author's Note:

The next chapter folks! Hope you all will enjoy this one! Thanks for all the comments and feedback! It really helps me out a lot! I will do my best to keep on improving on my writing! Enjoy! :rainbowkiss:

Stay tuned for the next update!