• Published 20th Feb 2015
  • 8,970 Views, 311 Comments

Fauna of Mirrors - Eggtaro



What would you do when your brand new bathroom mirror doesn't act like a normal mirror but instead acts as a looking glass to another world (bathroom, really) and vice-versa?

  • ...
34
 311
 8,970

Who's The Weirdest Of Them All?

The sudden ringing of the alarm clock woke Creme with a start. He threw his hand out onto the bedside table and flailed about, blindly searching for the vile timekeeper. After a few futile attempts to switch off his alarm clock, Creme grudgingly lifted his head from the comforts of his pillow. He then proceeded to properly turn off the clock with both hands.

Creme blinked a few times, as his vision was still blurry. When he was able to see, he sat up on his bed and stretched while a loud yawn escaped his lips. He glanced back at the clock to look at the time. It was 7:30 A.M. He needed to go to work, it was his first day anyway.

Here we go. Creme thought to himself, as he moved his legs from the warm bed down to the cold floor. He wanted nothing more than to stay at home and rest, but without a steady job, he will be broke in less than a week. Creme gave his butt a scratch---which was itching like crazy---while walking towards the bathroom. He needed a shower to wake himself up, unless he wanted to fall asleep on the floor.

Creme flipped the light switch on and entered the bathroom, heading towards the toilet. He was about to pull down his boxers when---

"Morning." said a scratchy, feminine voice from beside him.

Creme almost pissed himself right then and there. He let out a yelp and turned his head towards the source of the voice. His hands covered his private parts automatically, even though his boxers were still on. The sound of someone giggling reached Creme's ears. His eyes darted towards his bathroom mirror.

"S-s-sorry! Didn't mean to frighten y-you." said the scratchy voice again, which was also trying hard to stifle laughter.

Creme rolled his eyes and headed for the mirror. He placed both his hands on either side of the sink and glared at his bathroom mirror.

"Very funny, Rainbow Dash, you almost gave me a heart attack." Creme said to the mirror. He looked at the cerulean-coloured Pegasus with her rainbow-coloured mane. She had replaced Creme's reflection on the other side of the mirror. The Pegasus gave him a cheeky grin, giving Creme a wave with her hoof.

"Hey, it's not my fault you were not paying attention." she shrugged at Creme. "Aren't you an early bird?" she asked playfully.

"I would love nothing more than to continue sleeping. Money is something I currently have in short supply. My job is the only source of obtaining it." Creme replied, stifling a yawn. He glanced at Rainbow. "How come you're so energetic?"

"Ha! I always wake up before the sun even begins to rise! I need to keep my body in tip-top condition you know, so, morning exercises are a daily routine for me." Rainbow replied smugly.

"You do exercises before the sun is up?" Creme asked, turning on the tap. Rainbow nodded. "Wow."

"Don't any of you hoo-mans do exercises?" Rainbow asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Of course we do, and it’s 'human'." Creme allowed the cool water to run through his fingertips before splashing the water on his face. "It's just that, I don't know anyone that does it as early as you."

"You hoo-mans are just lazy." Rainbow said.

"Maybe." Creme replied nonchalantly. He reached out for his toothbrush and gently squeezed out some toothpaste on top of it. He was about to start brushing when he noticed that Rainbow was still staring at him from the other side of the mirror. He rolled his eyes at her.

"You know, it's kinda hard for me to brush my teeth with somebody staring at me."

"Somepony, why do you say somebody? It sounds so...weird."

"Not any less weird than yours, I assure you. You think I sound weird? You're a talking pony. If anything's weird around here, it's you." Creme said, pointing his toothpaste encrusted toothbrush at her.

"Hey!"

Creme ignored her and brushed his teeth. It was a weird sensation, brushing your teeth in front of someone else. Well...in front of a pony. Rainbow Dash stared at Creme for a few more seconds before turning around and trotting away from view. Creme caught a brief glimpse of what seemed to be a bathroom covered in clouds (Or was it made of clouds?) before the scene vanished completely. He was staring back at his own reflection.

So the mirror returns back to normal when there is no one on the other side... Creme mused to himself. He spat the toothpaste out from his mouth. Good to know. But what about sound? Creme paused and gargled with water in his mouth, then spat out the liquid. He washed his mouth and face before calling out. "Rainbow Dash?" he called out, wondering if he would be getting any sort of response at all.

"Yeah?" came her reply, which sounded far.

Sound is not affected at all. Creme thought, making a mental note for himself. He turned around and headed for the toilet. He pulled down his boxers and was prepared to relieve himself when a sudden thought popped into his mind. Will she hear the sound of pee? Creme glanced at his mirror warily. Did he dare to take the risk? His bladder was about ready to explode. He needed to go. Bad.

Creme waited a few more seconds, before turning back to face the toilet. It's now or never. he told himself mentally, taking aim.

* * * * * *

Rainbow Dash tilted her head in the direction of her bathroom with an eyebrow raised and a daffodil sandwich in her mouth. She could've swore she heard Creme calling her name. Was she just imagining things? She shrugged and trotted back towards the bathroom, munching on her breakfast.

The events that took place yesterday night still freaked her out a little. But, strangely enough, things haven't take a turn for the worse...yet.


What. The. Buck.

Rainbow Dash stared at her...reflection. No...that...that thing in the mirror was clearly not her. Maybe she was just hallucinating, she was tired from work after all. But...even if this was a hallucination, why wasn't it a pony? What was she looking at anyway? The thing in the mirror looked like nothing she had ever seen in Equestria. What should she do?

I should find Twilight, she thought to herself, her eyes still glued to the bathroom mirror. She'll know what to do. Rainbow considered the thought for a moment. On one hoof, if she flew down to Twilight's library, she could probably get a solution or an answer for this particular...situation. But Twilight can take forever just for that, and Rainbow wasn't sure if she had the patience to wait. Patience wasn't exactly her strongest suit.

And, on the other hoof, she felt exhausted, and lazy. All Rainbow wanted was to go to bed and sleep like a log. Yeah...maybe she just needed sleep. She would wake up the next morning and find herself staring back at her own cool, and awesome reflection.

Yeah, Rainbow mused. Just need some sleep. She let out a yawn, and rubbed her eyes with her hoof. She reached out to turn on the tap when suddenly---

"Whoa."

Rainbow jumped at the sudden sound, her eyes widening with shock. "What the hay?" she cried out in surprise. Rainbow glanced around her surroundings, her wings outstretched. "Who goes there?" she asked cautiously.

"Hi there." It was coming from behind her. Rainbow swung around. She saw that the voice was actually coming from her...from her bathroom mirror. Her heart was racing, and a cold sweat had formed on the side of her face. She glared at the mirror.

"W-w-what a-are yo-you?" Rainbow stuttered, trying but failing to sound brave. The thing behind the mirror was staring at her, with what she thought was its eyebrow, raised.

"Is this some sort of new technology? Creating an alien world to which you can view and interact from a mirror? Interesting." Was it talking to her? Rainbow was wide awake now. Any thoughts of sleep had all departed from her mind. She suddenly felt scared, and Rainbow Dash rarely gets scared. Should she run? She could make a dash out the door and head straight for Ponyville, to her best friends. They can help her. They always did.

"I wonder if this is touchscreen? You there, err...pony. May I ask you something?" the thing spoke, and it sounded like it was asking her a question. Rainbow eyed the thing curiously, debating whether she should speak. She needed to calm down. Has she not seen and faced weirder things than this? Surely, something such as this shouldn't faze her as much. Rainbow took a few deep breaths before speaking.

"Who are you?" she asked, ignoring the question from the thing.

The thing gave her a confused look. "Are you an AI?" it asked.

"What's an AI?" Rainbow asked back. What was it talking about?

"Artificial intelligence."

Arty-what? Rainbow thought. "Huh? What are you talking about?"

The thing eyed Rainbow curiously, it looked like it was deep in thought. After a minute or so, it finally spoke.

"Are you real?" it asked slowly.

Rainbow stared at the thing. "Of course I'm real. I wouldn't be here talking to you if I wasn't, now would I?" She took a step closer towards the mirror, trying to take a good look at her inquisitor. "Are you real?" she asked.

The thing backed away from the mirror. A look of sudden realization and fear forming slowly on its face. "Holy Shit." it muttered.

"Hey! Watch the language pal!" Rainbow scolded. This thing may be weird, but that doesn't mean it could use the S word in front her so casually.

"Nononononononono, this can't be happening, this can't be real! I must be dreaming." The thing was pacing about, ruffling its...hair? Rainbow's eyeballs followed the thing's movement.

"This is not scientifically possible--" It stopped in its tracks and pointed at Rainbow. "--You are not scientifically possible! Is this mirror some sort of portal to another dimension? Another world? Nononononononono...that can't be true. This isn't real. None of this is real"

Rainbow couldn't keep herself quiet any longer. "Well, it sure seems real to me."

"No! I reject your reality and substitute my own!"


Rainbow giggled as she swallowed the last of her daffodil sandwich. The memory of yesterday night was still fresh in her mind. It took a few more minutes before Creme finally calmed down. After an awkward introduction, they spent the rest of the night talking. They spoke of and explained their separate worlds, and the differences between the two.

Apparently, Creme came from a world known as Earth, and it was populated by hoo-mans. Earth had its share of ponies, but they could not speak, nor could any of them fly or cast magic, which was shocking. An entire world where ponies couldn't talk? A world where weather wasn't controlled by a team of pegasi? A world where the sun rises and sets on its own? Everything about Earth was mysterious to Rainbow. And weird.

But Creme seemed like an okay sort. She was just as surprised as him at how easy it was to talk to each other. This, despite both of them coming from different worlds. It was still freaky, talking to an alien, but at least this alien was a good one.

Twilight. The sudden thought of her friend made Rainbow remember that she still needed to inform her about this. The egghead would definitely want to study this.

Rainbow approached her bathroom and trotted inside, making her way towards the mirror. She stood in front of the mirror and peered at it. One second, she was looking at her reflection, the next, she was staring at Creme, who had his back at her.

"Hey, Creme." she said, cocking her head to one side.

Creme jumped and shouted something that sounded like "Fuck!" and slipped on the floor. Rainbow would've burst out laughing, if she wasn't busy staring at something flopping between Creme's legs. Something that looks oddly like a---

She blushed.

Author's Note:

Welp, here's the next chapter folks! Thank you for all the support and love for this story! I will continue to do my best to deliver as many chapter as I possibly can. Hope you all will enjoy this!! :rainbowkiss:

Stay tuned for the next update!