• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 5,313 Views, 27 Comments

Save me - WhiteFur



Twilight had always been the one to save the day, but what happens when she is the one in need of saving. The Changeling queen is back and out for revenge.

  • ...
23
 27
 5,313

A Long Night

Author's Note:

Thank you to TheBionicBrony for the edit!

"Editor's Note: This was certainly fun going through this story. This is gonna be good!"

Crawling into bed that night is not as hard. My heart still aches though for having to say goodbye to Rarity. Pull yourself together Twilight! I scream at myself. I reach to pull the blanket over myself, but Flash beats me to it. Lying back down against the pillow I give into the help.

“Anything I can get you, princess?” Flash asks.

“Please Flash, call me Twilight.” I say, snuggling down; I wish he would wrap me up in his wings.

“Princess, while I’m wearing my armor I must respect your title, even if you don’t.” His face is inches from mine. If I just reach out a little I could be kissing him. The thought sends a slight blush across my face.

“Take your armor off then and call me Twilight.” I know I sound a little brazen, and I don’t know why I even say it. But I want, no, need him to hold me. Make me feel whole and safe.

“I’m on duty tonight princess, I will be standing by the door, only a few feet away. If you need anything just yell and I will be by your side in an instant.” He rubs his nose against mine, tingles of warmth spreading down my spine.

“Sleep tight, princess.” He says in a final good bye before going to his station. As the door closes, my heart drops a little bit. I had finally given in to accepting help, finally admitted that I was not healthy. Now I didn’t want to be alone, didn’t want to go back to punishing myself. I didn’t want to be that Twilight anymore. I close my eyes giving into my tiredness, letting the sweet tranquility of sleep wash over me.

In my dream, I’m running across the frozen north. Something is chasing me, but I can’t see what. All I know is that I can’t stop running. I push myself harder and harder, my legs aching. I flap my wings trying to fly, but they’re frozen to my side. Tears start to fall down my face as I realize that I can’t outrun this evil. I turn ready to face the evil, ready to try. Before I can even start a spell, darkness sweeps around me, suffocating me. I am lost in a sea of black, a lake of nothingness. Screaming out brings no noise, no relief. Pain starts to creep slowly across me. I try and scream louder, thrashing to escape.

Warmth cascades over me, expelling the fear and pain. Soft words slowly grow louder in my ear; someone is calling out my name. The warmth and voice are my lighthouse I try to find my way to them. I am wrapped in somepony’s legs tightly, almost too tight. I realize my real body is crying as I open my eyes, soft sobs escaping my body.

“It’s okay Twilight, I’m here, you’re safe.” He whispers in my ear, softly rocking us back and forth.

“Please Flash, take me to the library, I need to study!” I can’t sit here, this dream is proof I’m not safe, that the world’s not safe.

“No Twilight, you need to sleep. You need to heal and books won’t help.” He holds me tighter as I try to squirm from his grasp.

“No, no, no! We’re not safe, please let me train.” I’m sobbing harder. Why won’t he let me?

“Twi, you’re scared, and you just had a nightmare. You need to find a way to deal with your fear that isn’t going to kill you. Please just lie back down, and relax. I’m here for you.” He kisses the top of my head, expelling some of the fear.

“I don’t think I can relax.” My body is still coiled ready to fight or run. He lets go of me getting up and walking over to my window.

“Come fly with me.” His armor is gone, his eyes hopeful as they stare at me.

“Flash, I’m not the best flier.” I get out of bed on shaky legs, walking over to him. As soon as I reach his side he wraps his wings around us, cocooning me in his orange coat.

“I'll help you Twilight, trust me.” He removes his wings and starts to fly, gently lifting off the ground, holding his hoof out to me.

“Why do you want to help me so much?” He hovers back down to the floor, a solemn look overcoming his face.

“There was this mare, and apparently I cared for her. Instead of helping her when she needed it though, I left her alone. She turned dark. I could have helped but I didn’t. So I have vowed now to help anypony I can. It’s why I’m a guard, so I can protect ponies” This time it is I who lifts his chin; starring into his eyes I see the pain. I know exactly who he is talking about, Sunset Shimmer. My heart goes out to him, but I know she is in good hands back at CHS.

“Flash, Sunset Shimmer is okay, and I’m not her, I’m not going dark.” He grabs my hoof with one of his.

“I know that Twi, I heard about how you saved her from herself. Thank you for doing what I couldn’t.” We stare at each other for a while, letting these new revelations sink in. “Now take a flight with me, it will calm you down.” A smile returns to his face, bringing one to mine.

“Okay” my voice is shaky as we leave the ground, slowly ascending into the starry sky.

The night is so peaceful, so quiet, as if the whole world is holding its breath. We fly up among the clouds stopping at a big one, way up high. As we settle down I’m amazed at the beauty and splendor the night brings. My nerves calm down, my body relaxing into the cloud. I look over to Flash; he is starring at the moon, which is reflected in his eyes. How did I get so lucky that this stallion cares for me? He turns to me, that something from earlier else shinning in his eyes.

“Twilight I really care for you.” He says, scooting closer to me, his muzzle only inches from mine.

“Will you go on a date with me?” He looks nervous as he asks me; I want to giggle a little bit. I’ve never been asked out before. What do I do? I can’t speak so I just nod my head; of course I want to date him. The elation in his eyes is contagious as I smile along with him. We stare at each other again; I don’t think I’ll ever tire of looking at this handsome stallion. After a while we snuggle together up on the cloud, his wings wrapped around me. The exhaustion seeps into me again and as I lay my head my head down on Flash’s hooves I drift softly into blissful sleep.