• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 1,463 Views, 14 Comments

The Social Bet - ShyBaldur



A bet between rivals Rainbow Dash and Applejack leads to unexpected results.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,463

The Advice

Dawn crested the rolling hills of Sweet Apple Acres. The morning twilight's blue skies and faint stars relented against the sun's red glow, but Applejack watched the floorboards of her room in favor of the beautiful colors outside. She had sat there since her last attempt at sleep and since her eyes had run dry. Exhausted, she wanted nothing more than to crawl back into bed, but she knew she couldn't.

Applejack fell onto her back, sending a ripple through her comforter and a loud creak from the bed frame. Yesterday, it had taken every bit of self control she could muster to pretend all was well in front of her family. That had only been a few hours, now she faced an entire day and she doubted she'd be able to make it. She'd have to handle them in small doses.

She regretted telling Rainbow the way she had, but she knew she couldn't have hidden it from her much longer. She had felt trapped: Either be dishonest with her feelings or risk her friendship. It sickened her that she could endanger a friendship over something like honesty, it made no sense.

Applejack sighed and rolled off of the bed and onto her hooves. Maybe work will get mah mind off of it, fer a little while at least.

Applebloom announced breakfast from downstairs. They'd grow suspicious if she didn't head down soon, so Applejack steeled herself and headed for the door. She caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror as she passed the vanity and stopped. The outer rims of her eyes burned red and she sported terrible bed-mane, like she was hungover or had aged significantly overnight. Applejack huffed and continued on regardless, maybe her family wouldn't notice. She headed down the hall and made note that Granny was still asleep, one less pair of eyes on her that morning. The pleasing smell of oats and toast enveloped her as she clambered down the steps to the main floor, but it did nothing to raise her appetite that morning. She entered the kitchen unceremoniously and immediately felt the gazes of Applebloom and Big Mac on her. Small doses.

"Mornin', sis," Applebloom greeted from her seat at the table, "You, uh, sleep okay?"

"Had some bad dreams, that's all," Applejack lied and fussed over her hair, making it worse.

"We takin' the applecart into town this mornin'?" Applebloom asked and scooped a spoonful of oatmeal into her mouth.

"Yep, but ah can handle it myself," Applejack replied and headed straight for the door, "Ah think I'll get an early start too, see you later!"

"But sis!" Applebloom pointed to AJ's usual spot at the table, currently set with hot oatmeal, toast and juice. "Don't you want your breakfast first?"

"A-Ah'm good! Ah'll have some apples on the way to town, gotta go!" Applejack replied hurriedly and rushed out of the house. Applebloom and Big Mac shared a concerned look at each other.

AJ grimaced as she galloped towards the apple cellar. She'd be questioned about that later she was sure, but she'd have to deal with that then, currently it was time to focus on work and not Rainbow Dash. Once she had loaded a cart, she strapped herself in and made her way towards Ponyville. The walk alone offered some respite from hiding her feelings, but the moment she was safely alone again her heartache resurfaced and her eyes stung.

No! Yer a tough pony, AJ, you can do this. Just stop thinkin' about her fer a bit.

In a few minutes Applejack reached town. It was early yet, but some residents had begun their day and greeted her warmly as she passed. She swallowed hard, she realized too late she should've sent Applebloom in her place, now she risked bumping into Rainbow. Every Pegasus that passed caused a hitch in her step and she reflexively tugged at a hat she forgot at home. Light blue ponies at the corners of her vision became Rainbow until examined closer. By the time she reached a favorable spot at the market, Applejack sweated and shook at her post.

Get a hold of yerself, AJ, Rainbow's prob'ly not even awake this early. Shoot! Stop thinkin' about Rainbo-

"Hey, Coooooousin!" Pinkie exclaimed, eliciting a jump from Applejack.

"Gueh!" Applejack ducked behind her cart, then peered around the corner, "Oh, it's just you, Pinkie."

"Just me?" Pinkie looked around, "Were you expecting someone else?"

"No! A-Ah mean yes, just not-ah mean uh, care for an apple?"

"Sure!" Pinkie accepted the fruit, "Are you alright, AJ? You seem twitchy but you don't have an apple-sense." She gasped, "Unless you DO have an apple-sense."

"N-No, Pinkie." Applejack sighed, "Ah don't have no apple-sense, ah'm just havin' a rough mornin'."

"Oh!" Pinkie bit off half of her apple and chewed, "Aht's 'oo 'ad, 'oo 'eed a 'ardee?"

"Ah think ah'm alright, Pinkie," AJ replied quickly, a party was the last thing she needed right now. Pinkie swallowed.

"Okay! Later, 'cuz!" Pinkie replied cheerfully and bounced away humming a tune.

Applejack returned to hiding behind her cart and checking the skies. No more surprises revealed themselves for a while and she calmed down some. Ah can't continue like this, Applejack thought, Ah'll be in the looney bin at the hospital by the end of the day at this rate... Ah need Rainbow t'say yes already, but ah can't even face her right now. What am ah gonna do now? She looked across the street and her gaze fell upon Carousel Boutique. Jaw set in determination, she stood and made a beeline to Rarity's shop. Rarity knows 'bout this sorta stuff, she'll know what to do. She knocked on Rarity's door and checked over her shoulder, when no answer came after a moment she knocked louder.

"We aren't open yet!" Came Rarity's distant voice from deep inside.

"Rarity, ah need to talk to you!" Applejack yelled into the door and hoped no pony was watching her.

"Applejack? One moment!"

The sound of dishes clanging on counter tops reached Applejack, so did Rarity clearing her throat. Hoofsteps approached the door until it swung open abruptly and Rarity gestured her inside. Applejack obeyed and shut the door behind her.

"What's wrong, Applejack?" asked Rarity, her curls were still a mess and her voice tired, but she appeared deeply concerned as she looked Applejack over.

"Ah don't mean to bother ya, ah'm sorry, but I just have to tell somepony," replied Applejack with her head low.

"Come into the kitchen make yourself comfortable first," Rarity waved and headed into the back of the store, "have you eaten?"

"No, ah kinda forgot." AJ chuckled nervously. Rarity paused briefly mid-stride.

"This must be serious, I'll make you some breakfast."

"Ah appreciate it," Applejack took a seat and worked up the courage to confess her feelings. Rarity waited patiently without a word as she prepared something quick and easy to make. "Ah told Rainbow that ah like her, more than just a friend." Rarity froze and slowly turned around, she couldn't quite contain her glee at first, but worry soon replaced excitement.

"What did she say?" Rarity asked slowly.

"She needs time to think."

"I see..." Rarity finished breakfast and brought Applejack some toast and coffee, "Please, you need to eat something." Applejack nodded and forced herself to. "How do you feel?"

"Ah'm... scared," replied Applejack, "Ah was scared of her answer for weeks now, but it's so much worse that she knows and ah'm still waitin' to find out. Ah don't want this to make things weird between us, or... or worse."

"I understand... It is scary, Applejack," Rarity placed a hoof on her friend's, "You've revealed your true feelings to the one you love. That is a difficult thing to do. I suspect Rainbow was caught off guard by your confession."

"Ah didn't mean to tell her the way ah did, she just knew somethin' was up and kept pressurin' me to tell her." AJ sighed and Rarity soothingly rubbed her foreleg. "Ah couldn't lie to her anymore."

"Did you start this bet so you could get her alone on the farm with you?" Rarity suddenly asked.

"Uh..." Applejack looked away guiltily, "Yup." Rarity gave her a sly smile.

"Clever. When did all this happen?"

"When we finished applebuckin' yesterday. Ah was tryin' to feel her out at first so ah brought up what we would like in our special someponies, she didn't exactly say what I'd hoped... and ah was gonna just forget about it, but ah guess ah acted like a long tailed cat in a room full o' rockin' chairs and she must've figured ah was lyin' 'bout somethin'."

"Well, she hasn't told you no..." Rarity explained softly, "It's a lot to take so suddenly, she needs some time to figure out what you mean to her too. Wouldn't you rather she be sure about her feelings towards you?" Rarity looked to her sympathetically.

"Yeah..." Applejack sighed. "But ah've been jumpier than a grasshopper since. Ah can't stop seein' her everywhere and ah can't face her right now. Ah'm so scared she'll tell me no."

"Applejack, I know this is hard," Rarity stated seriously, "But you cannot avoid her. You must think of her as the pony you've fallen for, not as the pony you expect to break your heart. Don't give up on your feelings, and on her, before she has a chance to tell you how she feels."

Applejack stared at the empty plate and cup before her a moment, surprised to find that she had eaten without knowing it, then looked to her friend.

"Yer right, Rares," Applejack nodded, "Ah'll try... Yer not... upset about this, are ya?"

"Certainly not," Rarity replied, shocked, "Why would I?"

"Ah'm pinin' fer another mare, one of our friends," explained AJ, "It'll change things between all of us."

"Yes, and it'll be a good change, you'll see. Good friends will accept you for who you are and who you will become. I have no doubt that everypony will be ecstatic for the both of you."

"Thanks, Rarity, that really means a lot to me."

"You're welcome," Rarity smiled warmly and gave her a hug.

"Ah'd better get back to mah cart," Applejack stated reluctantly as she stood to leave, "Did you want some apples? No charge." She quickly added.

"I can't say no to that." Rarity beamed.

* * * * *

Rainbow locked eyes with Applejack, who strutted across the event grounds with a blue ribbon showing prominently against her orange coat. The crowd cheered around Rainbow, but it sounded distant to her even though she sat amongst them. Instead, she heard Applejack's voice clearly over the rest.

"Like what ya see, RD?" Applejack teased as she sauntered by Rainbow.

"Y-yeah," replied Rainbow without thinking, her gaze followed Applejack's every move. The crowd was gone then, there was only her and Applejack.

"Better hurry, ah'm gonna win the race, Rainbow," Applejack said suddenly and took off in a sprint.

Rainbow gave chase and the ground beneath her became the loose soil of an endless racetrack. She felt light as a feather, like she was flying instead of running. She kept her gaze on Applejack; where they were going didn't matter to her anymore, she simply needed to keep Applejack near. Just as she was about to take the lead, Applejack gave her a sultry look and tackled her to the ground.

They fell painlessly that time, like falling on clouds. Rainbow felt Applejack envelope her in a hug, her sturdy frame and tender warmth wrapping Rainbow up comfortably and securely. Rainbow nuzzled her face into Applejack's throat and breathed in her familiar smell as the rhythmic sound of her love's heartbeat soothed her. Applejack said her name softly and Rainbow glided her muzzle up until they were face to face.

Rainbow closed her eyes and in the warm darkness felt soft pressure against her lips.

Rainbow woke up. Sunlight flooded through her open bedroom window and bathed her in warmth. Birds chirped melodies outside and the scent of the Everfree carried in the breeze. Sometime during the night she had bundled all her cloud covers up and hugged them tightly. Rainbow breathed in deep and laid there for a few more minutes until the lightness in her head and her heart faded. Judging by the sun, it was late morning.

What the hay was that? Rainbow thought as she tried to push herself up. Her muscles protested loudly and she fell back into bed, although comfortably. I've never had a dream like that before, or thought of Applejack that way... now I can't get her out of my mind. Rainbow rolled onto her back and brought a hoof to her lips. It felt so real. She went flush as she replayed the last few moments of her dream in her mind. Is that how AJ thinks of me? I... wouldn't mind that, I think.

"I need to know more about this stuff..." Rainbow said to herself and slipped slowly out of bed. Urgency deferred breakfast -or lunch at this point- and she headed straight out her front door. Once she had taken flight, she banked towards twilight's new home and kept her eyes open for a certain orange pony. She was surprised to find that she felt both relieved and disappointed that she didn't find Applejack during her short flight to the crystal tree.

Twilight liked to keep her doors open when she was home during the day, so Rainbow glided right through the entrance hallway and landed delicately on the golden disk of the throne room. Rainbow called out and heard Twilight's beckoning reply down one of the passages. Through a tunnel-like hall she went, the scent of parchment, candles and books growing stronger as she neared the library. The hall opened into a modest room full of newly crafted bookshelves and desks. The last time Rainbow was there, she had helped Twilight organize and fill the few bookshelves they had scrounged from town, now the room was overflowing with knowledge.

"I think you're going to need a bigger room," Rainbow commented as she trotted from row to row in the search for her friend.

"Yes, I'll have to use a third room I think," Twilight replied from somewhere behind Rainbow, "Or put my own collection in my room."

"Did the Golden Oak have this many books?" Rainbow about-faced and searched down a new set of rows.

"Well, every wall in almost every room was a bookshelf in the Golden Oak... but no, Princess Celestia is sending me copies of books from The Royal Canterlot Library." Twilight sighed, "And I think I recognize a few of these when we were in the library of the Crystal Empire."

"Does that mean you're too busy to hang?" Disappointment crept into Rainbow's question.

"No," Twilight replied as she emerged from the row behind Rainbow somehow, "I could use a break, what did you have in mind?"

"U-uh..." Rainbow stammered, she hadn't really thought that part out yet but knew she needed somewhere private to talk, "Want to go for a fly?"

"Sure!" Twilight beamed, "It could help clear my head a little, you ready?" She spread her wings.

"Yeah!" Rainbow cheered for she knew what was coming next. Twilight's horn hummed and lit in a pink aura, bathing them both in a soft glow. Rainbow felt a hidden force surround her, where it contacted her coat it sent little jolts under her skin and forced her hairs on end. Teleportation feels so cool, Rainbow mused, we must be going far this time. Once the humming reached its peak and the force spread over her whole body, her entire world went pink, then white. For a split second nothing seemed to happen in the whiteness, but her senses went for a loop and she suppressed the feeling of vertigo that she was so used to by now. Suddenly they were several thousand feet in the air above Ponyville and Rainbow plunged into a dive. She shouted in exhilaration as she gained speed, the feeling of the wind in her mane and coat rejuvenated her, before she extended her wings and soared in quick circles back up to Twilight. "Eh-heh... Sorry."

"It's ok, I know you like to do that," Twilight giggled, "I'm glad you're feeling better today."

"A bit, yeah," Rainbow said uncomfortably as they flew lazily over Ponyville, "That's why I wanted to see you, actually."

"Oh?"

"Yeah, last night..." Rainbow trailed off and thought of her dream again, then cleared her throat, "The reason I asked you that question is because I think I'm in love with somepony."

"Oh?" Twilight echoed with a knowing smile.

"Yeah, i-it's..." Rainbow's stammered, she felt anxious just trying to say it, "It's AJ."

"Oh! Really?" Twilight sounded shocked.

"Yeah, what of it?" Rainbow asked, a bit offended and embarrassed.

"Oh! I'm so sorry, I was just surprised," Twilight replied in a panic, then furrowed her brow, "But it makes sense."

"It does?" Rainbow paused in mid-air, stunned.

"Yeah..." Twilight hovered as well, "You two are always competing against each other and spend a lot of time together. She's one of your best friends, you two share more commonalities than the rest of us."

"Commonalities?" Rainbow scratched her head.

"Yes! You're both competitive, athletic, loyal, stubborn-uh, but in a good way... to name a few..." Twilight chuckled nervously. "But, my original question still stands, what brought this on?"

"AJ said she had the hots for me last night," Rainbow bragged.

"So, you love her because she thinks you're attractive?" Twilight raised an eyebrow.

"No! That's not-" Rainbow face-hoofed, "She asked to be special someponies, and I admit I kinda freaked out and left, but then I thought-"

"You what?"

"Gah! I-mean-I told her I needed to think about it, then I was confused, then I talked to you last night, then I thought about it more and I think I do like her like that!" Rainbow replied rapidly. Twilight flew dumbfounded a moment while her ear twitched.

"Alright, that's not so bad, um, congratulations?" Twilight offered. Rainbow groaned.

"What do I do now, genius?"

"How should I know?" Twilight went on the defensive, taking a few flaps backwards, "I'm not Cadence."

"But you had the hots for that Sentry guy!" Rainbow jabbed Twilight with a hoof, who flushed.

"M-Maybe! But I never told him! That hardly makes me an expert!"

"But you're good at everything! And I'm completely lost here and I need help!" Rainbow brought her hooves together and begged, "Please, Twilight, ya gotta help me." Twilight sighed in defeat.

"Alright, alright, um..." Twilight thought of the most obvious answer, "Why don't you go tell her how you feel?"

"I can't do that!" Rainbow panicked.

"Why not?" Twilight shrugged, "I'm sure she'd appreciate the honesty, she's probably going crazy waiting on your answer."

"I know! I know..." Rainbow put her face in her hooves, "But I'm not sure of anything yet."

"Rainbow, you don't have to be sure," Twilight explained and placed a hoof on Rainbow's shoulder, "Just be honest to her, try asking her out on a few dates and see where it goes. You don't have to have all the answer right now."

"Yeah, okay, I can do that. Ask her out... yeah. How do I do that?"

"Oh dear," It was Twilight's turn to face-hoof, "Well, there's a surprise party for Applejack tomorrow night, maybe ask her at the party?"

"There's a surprise party for AJ tomorrow?" Rainbow went numb. "Why? It's not her birthday."

"Pinkie didn't say, didn't you get the invite?"

"Oh-my-gosh," Rainbow bolted towards Ponyville, leaving a rainbow streak behind her. Twilight called out and started to chase but quickly gave up, she had no chance to keeping up.

"So much for clearing my head." Twilight muttered irritably, then disappeared in a pink flash.