• Published 21st Feb 2015
  • 1,463 Views, 14 Comments

The Social Bet - ShyBaldur



A bet between rivals Rainbow Dash and Applejack leads to unexpected results.

  • ...
2
 14
 1,463

The Bet

A cool breeze swept over a peaceful ponyville, refreshing the few ponies out under the mid afternoon sun. Life had returned to normal a few months since Tirek's escape and ponies still occasionally admired the new crystal edifice. On the edge of town leading to Sweet Apple Acres, Ponyville Elementary rang its bell the last time before summer break, signaling that for better or worse the fillies and colts were free until fall.

Scootaloo eagerly hopped down the steps into the schoolyard and landed on her scooter, wishing her friends a good evening as she sped away. Tomorrow they would meet at the clubhouse for more crusading, leaving her almost free for the rest of the day. As she neared the school's fence gate, she recognized somepony placing flyers on the school's bulletin board and skidded to a halt.

"Hi, Miss Mane," greeted Scootaloo as she approached, "Is the social starting soon?"

"Hey there, Scootaloo," Candy Mane replied, smiling despite the nails in her mouth. She promptly plucked one from her lips, lined it up to a corner of her flier, then stamped it into place with a hoof. "It sure is, this weekend at Sweet Apple Acres again. Can I count you in this year?"

"Um..." Scootaloo rubbed her shins together, "Does an honorary sister count as a sister?"

"Sure does!" Candy Mane beamed as she stamped another nail, "I can be your big sister this year if you'd like."

"Oh! Thanks for the offer, but I have someone in mind already." Scootaloo's wings buzzed and lifted her from her scooter slightly.

"Well, you'd better go ask her then," Candy Mane chuckled and tilted her head over to Ponyville, "Miss Dash was asleep above the bowling alley last I saw her, she might've moved since then though."

"Thanks!" Scootaloo shouted and vaulted onto her scooter. Chores gotta wait, she thought, this is more important. Behind her, Candy Mane waved her goodbye before greeting the next group of fillies, fliers in hoof.

* * * * *

"Rainbow Dash!" A familiar voice called out her name, then again, before she woke up.

"Nnnnng-what?" mumbled Rainbow Dash as she bundled up under cloud covers. An exposed hind leg refused to find enough room in the warmth. "I'm sleeping."

"Will you be my big sister for the social?" The strained voice asked, a hint of desperation or hope included with it.

"Scootaloo?" Rainbow peered upside down at the voice and confirmed the orange and purple blur to be the filly. She yawned and slid off of the cloud headfirst, plummeting into a dive. Moments before she slammed into the ground, she flared her wings and straightened out in a smooth curve. Her hooves gracefully skimmed the dirt a second before she landed in a trot up to Scootaloo, her wings now tucked away.

"That was awesome!" Scootaloo bounced a few times, "You have to show me that!" Rainbow winced.

"Sure thing," Rainbow weakly grinned as she rubbed a hoof to her eyes, "But what social are we talkin' about?"

"The Sisterhooves Social!" cheered Scootaloo and Rainbow winced again. "I asked Candy Mane and you don't have to be real sisters to join, so I thought we should compete!"

"Compete, huh?" said Rainbow, suddenly awake, "That sounds like fun, when is it?"

"This weekend, please tell me you can come," Scootaloo pouted.

"Heh," Rainbow chuckled and messed up the filly's hair, "I'll come, but we'd better practice if we're gonna win this thing."

"Yes!" Scootaloo bounced again, "I can start after chores and dinner!"

"Awesome," Rainbow nodded once and a smirk creeped up on her, "Fuel up and report back to me for training!"

"Ma'am, yes Ma'am!" Scootaloo saluted and rushed off on her scooter.

Rainbow watched her go a moment and sighed happily. The mention of food from earlier reminded her that she hadn't eaten in a while, so she got her bearings and headed further into Ponyville for much needed hayburger.

* * * * *

The morning of the social came by quickly and she had made the training intense, probably more so than necessary for a silly race, but Rainbow was confident that she and Scootaloo had a shot at winning it. That morning had been blessed with dew, which still beaded along the grass at the edges of the path they took to the farm. It made her thirsty, yet the walk was that much more enjoyable.

"Thanks for being my big sister," said Scootaloo suddenly and sheepishly. "It really means a lot to me."

"No problem, kiddo," Rainbow replied softly and draped a wing over the filly as they walked, "It's pretty awesome having you as a little sister."

"Really?"

"Yeah," Rainbow smiled at her, "No matter how we do today, I'm proud of you."

"Thanks," Scootaloo blushed and returned an embarrassed smile.

They continued walking in silence until they reached the crowd that had gathered at the edge of the social grounds. Sisters had lined up for signup booths already, those that had finished entering made small talk by the wooden fences that outlined the different event grounds. Rainbow also noted the number of pigs and vegetables other ponies brought with them.

"Guess there's more than just the race, huh?" Rainbow absentmindedly commented as she surveyed the booth banners.

"You betcha, friend!" Applejack shouted joyfully as she and Applebloom trotted up to Rainbow and Scootaloo. "Or should ah say... foe?" Applejack threatened Rainbow with a fierce look. She knew it was all she needed to do to get a rise out of Rainbow.

"This may be your home turf, AJ." Rainbow bared her teeth mischievously, "But we'll give you a run for your money, won't we Scootaloo?"

"Yeah!" Scootaloo mimicked Rainbow's confidence, and Applebloom returned it right back.

"That so?" Applejack feigned a measuring look at Rainbow, "Y'all prepared to put your bits where your muzzle is?"

"A bet?" Rainbow bristled with excitement, and butted her forehead against her rival's, "Name it."

"If ya lose, ya gotta help me with applebuckin' season this year." Applejack poked Rainbow's chest with a hoof, "Could use another pair a' legs such's yours, give 'em a real workout fer once."

"Hah! A few days hard labor is nothin'," Rainbow taunted. I would've helped if you had just asked, she thought, safe bet. "Now if-"

"Hello, everypony!" Rarity interrupted as she sauntered up to them, getting surprised looks from everypony, "Oh my apologies, were you arguing again?" Sweetie Belle swept past Rarity and bounced over to hug her friends.

"Rarity? What are you doing here?" Rainbow questioned, clearly exasperated.

"Why, I am merely upholding tradition," Rarity humphed and cocked her head back in contempt, "Besides, you have been to this social fewer times than I."

"I've had a sister for less than a year," Rainbow retorted, "How long have you and Sweetie Belle been-"

"Semantics!" Rarity harshly interrupted again.

"Semanti-what?"

"Regardless," Rarity stated coolly as she regained her composure, "I'm here for apple pie, as it were."

"...What?" Rainbow scrunched her face.

"Never mind her," Applejack chuckled but gave Rarity a wink, "What're yer terms, Rainbow?"

"Hmm..." Rainbow pondered a moment, then glanced at Rarity. "I know. If you lose, you have to wear a Sunday dress for applebuck season!"

"What?" Applejack exclaimed as sweat beaded under her stetson, "A-Ah...Ahright, but to make things fair 'n all, I say you should wear one too if you lose."

"You're on!" Rainbow replied hastily, she'd never seen Applejack quite caught off guard.

"Wonderful!" Rarity squealed, and broke their glare-off once more, "I can fashion something suitable, something light and airy, something that won't catch while you do your... farm... thingie." She waved her limp hoof at the last word, to which Applejack frowned.

"Grown-ups sure are weird," Applebloom stated suddenly, and her friends nodded their consent.

"C'mon you, let's get back in line." Applejack nuzzled Applebloom in the direction she wanted her to go and she complied, but Applejack stopped a few steps away and turned back to Rainbow. "Honestly though, it's great t'see ya both here, thanks fer comin'."

"Yeah, you bet," replied Rainbow earnestly.

"Ah thought ah just did," Applejack chuckled and continued on her way.

"It truly is admirable of you to come with Scootaloo," said Rarity under her breath to Rainbow, "But that won't make your dress any less frilly." With that she trotted elegantly away; Sweetie Belle accompanied her to the back of the line a moment later.

Wait a sec... Rainbow gulped hard as a thought crossed her mind. Rarity, the biggest gossip in town, is going to make the girliest dress ever. Why did I agree to this so quickly? I should have stuck with AJ's original terms! Everyone in Ponyville will come to see me wearing a dress! I'll be humilia-

"Rainbow, you okay?" Scootaloo asked as she nuzzled Rainbow's foreleg, "You don't look so good, and your eye keeps twitching." Rainbow snapped out of her panic and leaned down to Scootaloo's level.

"I'm good." Rainbow lied and gave her a winning smile, "'Cause I know we're gonna win this thing!" Please Celestia let us win.

"Yeah!" Scootaloo pumped her hoof, instantly excited and eager at her mentor's words.

The race was scheduled as the last event of the day, so Rainbow and Scootaloo watched what the rest of the social had to offer; Competitive apple pie eating, bobbing for apples, mud pit Tug o' War, 6 legged racing, barrel racing, vegetable growing, pig beauty contest and the obstacle race itself.

Rainbow noticed that Applejack and Applebloom competed in nearly all of the events, and had done very well, they had even won first in the barrel race. This unnerved her a bit, how well Applejack maneuvered at high speed over rough terrain, but she held fast to mental pictures of a dress laden AJ. This seemed to help.

Suddenly, Applejack picked her out of the crowd and their eyes locked. Rainbow could have sworn that AJ wiggled her eyebrows under the shadow of the hat she wore, and she definitely strutted across the grounds. The crowd cheered again when AJ and AB made a grand bow before they received their ribbons. Once ponies started dispersing, the winners made their way over to the bleachers.

"Like what ya saw, RD?" Applejack flaunted a little as she walked by, her blue ribbon displayed prominently.

"Yeah, yeah." Rainbow rolled her eyes. "You've got nothing on me, AJ."

"Sure, Sugarcube," Applejack chuckled and continued on her way, "Ah'll let Rarity know t'get started on yer dress early. Say Applebloom, how many times we win the big race, ya reckon?"

"Gotta be five, maybe six." replied Applebloom.

"Sounds 'bout right." Applejack tipped her hat, "Later RD, Scoots."

"Later! Good luck!" Scootaloo replied and waved innocently.

With but a few sentences from AJ, Rainbow felt like she had been punched in the gut. I hadn't thought of that, Rainbow mulled, she's got the experience. Darn it, I haven't even done the race before! There's no chance we're gonna win!

The call to assemble for the obstacle race was made over the loudspeaker, and instantly Rainbow's coat bristled on end at the sudden rush she felt. It was always that way with her and she normally loved it; the nervous-citement, the adrenaline and especially the fame afterwards. That day though, fear had firmly settled in the pit of her stomach.

No! Rainbow gritted her teeth, I will not lose to Applejack, not today! I will see her in a dress, I swear it!

"C'mon, Scoots!" Rainbow stood defiantly, "It's go time!"

"Alright!" Scootaloo hopped off the bleachers, her legs wobbled as she stood up straight.

"Y-You okay?"

"Yeah," Scootaloo replied, her voice and body jittered as she spoke. "Just a little nervous about the race."

"Heh," Rainbow chuckled in relief, "Listen Scootaloo, it's okay to be nervous, I am too to be honest."

"Really?"

"Of course," stated Rainbow easily, and put a foreleg around Scootaloo to help her along, "I always feel this way before I compete, especially against A-" She cleared her throat, "Uh, Point is, you have to use it to your advantage, don't let it take you over. Put that nervousness into action."

"Don't let it take you over," Scootaloo quoted her, "Put it into action. Got it."

Rainbow found that her words helped, and she felt better too, briefly. That changed when they reached the obstacle course.

Sisters had paired up before the starting line and stretched limbs or whispered game plans to one another. Spectators slowly filled the bleachers surrounding the large ring of the obstacle course. Once everypony was settled at the start line and in their seats, Granny Smith announced the annual race was about to begin, and listed off the teams that competed for the grand prize this year: A barrel of apple cider.

"Remember your training Scoots." Rainbow whispered, "Let's do our best." Scootaloo nodded her consent and inched closer to the start line. Rainbow smiled outwardly, and prayed silently to Celestia.

The countdown had begun and yanked Rainbow back into the moment; her mind cleared as she mentally ran through the course one last time before Granny Smith yelled 'Go!'

Like a rocket they took off and Rainbow could tell she already had the lead. She blocked out all the other racers around her and listened for Scootaloo's small hoofbeats, which trailed just behind her and to the right. In a moment they'd reach the first obstacle: the mud pit. She cleared it easily, then waited just on the other side, a hoof stretched over the pit.

Scootaloo jumped a moment later and reached for Rainbow's hoof with everything she had. They connected, barely. Rainbow used the momentum and tossed the filly forward, just like they had practiced. Doing good so far, Rainbow thought, just keep it together!

A sudden thud to Rainbow's side distracted her. Time slowed as she stole a sidelong glance at Applejack, who had her younger sister attached to her tail for the jump. As she dipped her head, AJ tossed Applebloom ahead as well. AJ totally copied our move, Rainbow snorted, I can't believe it!

"Can't come up with your own tricks, hey, AJ?" Rainbow teased as they sprinted neck and neck, soon they'd close the gap with their younger sisters.

"Ah'm no one trick pony, but a good move's a good move," Applejack admitted, "Can't have ya beatin' me on mah own turf, suger."

In the remainder of the obstacles, Rainbow and Scootaloo had eked out a marginal lead over the Apple sisters. Rainbow's heart pounded in her chest, the adrenaline surged her towards victory. Scootaloo's hoofbeats barely kept up with her, but they were still there. She swelled with pride for the little filly, they were going to win it!

Hooves thundered dangerously close behind her as they completed the last turn, and Rainbow knew it was Applejack. Nothing laid before them but loose soil to the finish line. So it comes down to a sprint, Rainbow thought as she hoofed it like mad, don't let me down Scoots!

With just a few gallops to victory, Rainbow heard the hoof-falls of her strongest competitor fall in line next to hers. Her resolve wavered; she thought of herself in a pink polka-dotted dress lined with white lace. She heard the other ponies' laughter in her mind, Rarity's shrill giggling somewhere in their midst. She closed her eyes to block it out, but AJ's smug face was all she saw. Finally, her focus destroyed, she turned her head.

Applejack was looking straight at her, with the same smug face.

An ankle twisted from a misplaced hoof and Rainbow fell chin-first into the dirt, which flew up in a cloud around her. She painfully rolled head over hooves a few times, carried by her momentum, before she felt herself slam to a halt. She tried to move, but it felt like her limbs were weighed down or entangled with each other. She blindly fought and fought in the chocking cloud, but she could not free herself.

Suddenly, Rainbow heard the crowd cheer over sounds of the dirt and rocks that fell around her. Her name was called once by somepony before the loudspeaker pierced the air with feedback.

"The winner is... The Belle sisters!" came Granny's shakey voice over the cheering crowd.

Rainbow cursed silently and waited for the dust to settle around her, though she wished she could hide in it forever. The heavy scent of sweat tickled her nose and as feeling replaced pain in her extremities, she felt something warm and solid stir against her. Wait a sec, the Belle sisters?

Rainbow opened her eyes slowly to find she was pressed against Applejack, with her head nestled in the crook of AJ's throat. She tried to move but their legs were still entwined. Exhausted, she gave up. Apparently, AJ had reached the same conclusion. A good minute passed while Rainbow listened to the sounds of the crowd, her own panting and heartbeats, as well as AJ's.

"You okay, guys?" Scootaloo suddenly asked from somewhere behind them, "You look pretty messed up."

"I'm alright, just hurt my pride," Rainbow groaned as she pulled her legs free and rolled away from Applejack, "AJ?"

"Ah'm good," replied Applejack, her tone flat as she sat.

"Sorry, Scoots," Rainbow said weakly as she stood and patted herself off, "I screwed up."

"It's okay..." Scootaloo sighed and lowered her head, Applebloom doing the same.

"Hey." Applejack grabbed her hat and brushed it off, she had not bothered to do the same to her coat, "Did you girls have fun?"

"Yeah." Applebloom and Scootaloo admitted.

"Why don't ya go see yer fellow crusader, she looks like she needs a coupla friends to celebrate with," Applejack offered and put a hoof around Rainbow, tightly, "Rainbow 'n ah need a moment to recover."

"Yeah!" They said in unison and dashed off, in higher spirits. A moment passed in silence between them, dreadful silence, before Applejack said low under her breath.

"Rainbow, tell me the truth now." Applejack kept her grip tight on her captive. She smiled, but her eyes were hard. Rainbow sweated profusely. "Did y'all do that on purpose t'get outta the bet?"

"A-Applejack, I-I swear to Celestia," Rainbow stammered, then swallowed hard, "I was going to win until you distracted me with that stupid look you gave me. It's your fault that I tripped, really."

"Rainbow..." Applejack growled and her grip tightened, painfully now.

"Haha... Ow." Rainbow winced out a tear but held her smile, "I'm just being honest! Hey, at least neither of us have to wear a dress now, right?"

"Ooooh no!" Rarity interjected as she pranced victoriously up to them, a blue ribbon proudly adorned her coat. She stopped short once she noticed how dirty and sweaty they still were. "Ahem! If I do recall correctly, which I most certainly do, your bet was that if you lost, you were to wear a dress. Since you both have lost, to me, a fact I simply must point out, you both must wear a dress!"

"WHAT?!"