• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 895 Views, 43 Comments

Diablo - StoneWare13



Rainbow had never forgiven the ShadowBolts for trying to take her away, so when rainbow dash discovers that they where spotted over ponyville, she tells all her friends to inform her of any news. But applejack life gets hard, when she is forced to l

  • ...
7
 43
 895

Chapter 8: good run bad questions PART 1

Applejack sat quietly at the kitchen table. To her left a bowl of cereal and to her right a hoof written letter addressed to herself. It was early morning, only a slow hour since the rooster call.

"Morning, Applejack," Diablo greeted, walking happily through the doorway, without any support whatsoever. After last week’s injuries, his wing still sat in a sling by his side, since Granny had insisted on caring for him like a young foal, but Diablo loved finally getting the attention he desired after the many years of been feeling abandoned by his mother.

"Mornin’," Applejack said, still focused on the small letter. She repeatedly read each word like a contract with some kind of hidden term.

"What's with the letter?"Diablo asked as he sat at the wooden table with his own cereal, a puzzled and curios look on his face.

"Instructions from Granny," she explained with a smile. Yesterday, the family had received a request for Granny to visit one of their cousins in Appleoosa. The Apples had allowed Diablo to stay and take care of the farm while the rest of the family went to see Granny off at the station, an act that gave Diablo much responsibility.

"Granny’s visiting family and Big Mac’s gone out for the day with little Apple Bloom to school for Family Appreciation Day." Applejack giggled, remembering how excited Big Mac had been to see Ms. Cheerilee again. "So, I would say we have this morning off, then start bucking tress after brunch." She looked up at Diablo, who was stuffing his face, and smiled. "Sound good?"

Diablo lifted his muzzle from the bowl. "Nice, but if we have this morning off, then why are we up and not still in bed?"

Applejack downed a glass of apple juice before speaking. "Ah’d planned on going for a run, ya know. To get the old blood bumping. Care to join?"

Diablo look concerned and Applejack saw his gaze drop to his leg as the pegasus inspected it with an inquisitive eye "Oh, sorry! How's your leg?" she asked sympathetically.

He smiled shyly. "It's... fine," he replied hesitantly. "I'm sure I can run."

Applejack nodded. Both of them knew that Diablo’s leg was still weak, but a run would help him gain the lost strength. "If you’re sure." She stood up and moved to the door. "Ya comin’?"

-------------------------------------------

At the word ‘go’, the pair began to hurtle through the acres of farmland. Applejack could feel every beat of her heart as she pounded the fertile land with her hooves. Just behind her, Diablo cantered with a power most stallions where capable of.

Applejack’s only advantage was her light frame, plus Diablo was still injured but he sure didn't show it. All these factors gave her the upper hoof over the weaker stallion. She could feel the wind rushing through her golden locks, her hat ready to fall from its spot between her ears, her powerful legs carrying her across the orchard with ease.

The whistling breeze sent shivers of bliss down her spine. Occasionally she would jump into the air just to feel the wind rustle through her ears harder. This was one of the many reasons she loved her home. As she ran, her mind blocked out the world around her, including the stallion who was slowly closing in on her.

In the blink of an eye, Diablo whooshed past her. He turned his head around towards Applejack, smirking. This was no longer a casual run; it was a race.

"Come on, Applejack ! You can run faster than that!" Diablo cheered, encouraging the distracted mare. Determination suddenly sparked in Applejack’s eyes; she couldn't back down from a challenge.

With a burst of energy, the farmer caught up to the Shadowbolt, gritting her teeth and pushing with all the strength she had remaining. They galloped neck-and-neck across the east orchard as a hill approached. The panting pair dug their heels into the untrodden grass but, as expected, Applejack pulled away from Diablo in a split second, streaking for the peak.

Instinctively, Diablo jumped into the air. His broken wing, feeling the air rush past the pegasus, attempted to lift Diablo into the air. With a stab of pain down his left side he fell, landing squarely on Applejack who was just curving over the hilltop.

Applejack and Diablo rolled down the side of the hill, wings and hooves getting covered in grass cuttings. The pair giggles and laughed with each bump they hit on their way down until they came to a stop at the foot of the hill.

Applejack panted as she lay upon Diablo’s chest. He had fallen onto his back and was pinned down by the mare. They gasped and giggled as their heart rates slowed into a steady pulse. Applejack looked down, surely noticing the almost nonexistent gap between their muzzles.

Both ponies studied the eyes of their partner, their faces muzzle-to-muzzle. Each breath calmed their beating hearts. Neither pony said a word; both just stared at the other, attempting to read the thoughts of the pony who lay so close to them.

Author's Note:

Muhahah Iam been evil just giving you part 1, but I hope you enjoyed. Let me know what you think

A big thanks and hug to my editor spirit guide xx

Comments ( 6 )

Yes! Another chapter.

love it a perfect cliffhanger.

i would really love to see more of this grate story.

I would love to see more of this

Login or register to comment