• Published 19th Feb 2015
  • 794 Views, 2 Comments

Ace Combat: The Wolfpack Missions - Lonewolf78



During the war with the Changelings, the Crystal Empire, with the help of Equestria hires a mercenary air group led by Sunset Shimmer to launch clandestine missions inside the Changeling Kingdom.

  • ...
5
 2
 794

Chapter 9: We Meet Again

Tantagel AFB
Dragon Kingdom
July 11 2024
07:00 hours.

Because of poor weather the past few days, most missions were scrubbed, giving the pilots a break. Unfortunately this also allowed the Centaurs to move in more troops. The skies were clear now, so it was time for the day's mission briefing with Omar.

Good morning pilots. Here's the rundown. Though the rain and clouds hampered air operations, it didn't slow down the ground forces, including the Centaurs, who took the opportunity to move in more troops. Including the Southern pass, which leads us to believe they are planning on taking Gas Town. Meanwhile our northern force has reached it's full strength, so we will begin our push towards Bonita and Agrabah today." There was a few cheers from the dragons in the room.

"So here's your assignments. Lancers, 88's: You will head north to soften up enemy positions and give our troops cover, with the Bengals providing air cover. Screamer, Razgriz, Wolfpack: You will head south to soften up the enemy there. If it's enemy, blow it up or shoot it down. That is all. Good luck." And the briefing broke.

"Now this is my type of mission," Shadow said as they headed out to the flight line.

"I'm honestly glad they put us with the Screamers again," commented Helia.

"I'm sure we'll get stuck with them at some point," replied Sunset.

-----------------

Central Pass
West of San Sabas, Dragon Kingdom
10:25 hours.

The squadrons had reached the west end of the pass, and it was time to split up.

"OK Wolfpack keep us covered," Ember said. And her squadron and the Razgriz split off to go after their targets.

"Let's keep our eyes peeled pack," announced Sunset. And they began orbiting, waiting for a command to go in. It wasn't long before they picked up contacts.

"Sentinel One to Wolfpack: 15 bandits coming from the northwest. 70 miles at angels 15."

"Roger. Razgriz can you spare someone?" Blaze asked.

"Sure can. Redskies, Cypher, go join them," replied Zap.

"Roger we're on the way," replied Cypher. Soon the tom and eagle were with Wolfpack.

"Time for another longshot!" announced Helia. And her plus Blaze and the two Razgriz pilots locked up the bandits and fired a salvo of long range missiles. All but four hit their targets leaving just four planes in the Centaur squadron, but they kept coming. Then Sentinel came back on.

"Sentinel One to all planes 20 more bandits from the west! 45 miles at angels two."

Just then the four bandits from the first flight fired.

"Break!" yelled Sunset. The group split apart and dodged the missiles.

OK you three it's time for another long shot, The rest of you go after those four."

"Roger Blaze," replied Redskies. The four formed up again and fired another barrage of long range missiles, striking 11 more.

"They're probably yelling "hackers!" cracked Cypher.

"HA! Been there and done that on Ace Combat 12 online," replied Helia. "Let's regroup."

By the time they got back Sunset had already downed one, and the other three MiG-29's were being chased by Shadow, Alvinar, Fido, and Spot.

"Turn your attention to the others now," Blaze said to the rest, and they turned to engage the oncoming wave.

"Oh lovely. Super Fulcrums," Redwing announced. The seven of them split up.

At the same time Spot got his bandit with a Sidewinder, and broke off to join the others, who were slightly outnumbered.

"Check your six Blaze!" yelled Cypher. She pulled a cobra and got behind him. Before he could even react she got an Archer locked on and fired, taking him out.

Then Spot got a gun kill on another.

"We're even now. Press it home," announced Sunset.

Redskies took one out with a heat seeker, then narrowly avoided getting hit by one himself. Serana dived on that one and got a gun kill. Redwing got on the squadron leader's tail and stuck to him like glue, ending the centaur with a heat seeker.

"They're running!" yelled Nightglider.

"chase em' down. Thanks for the help Razgriz," Sunset said.

"No problem," replied Redskies. And they headed back to rejoin the others.

Just before Wolfpack got tone on the others, a voice burst over the radio.

"Sentinel One to all planes: Firebane air base at Gastown is under attack! Repeat Firebane is under attack! All available planes render assistance immediately!"

"SHIT! they are going after Gastown!" yelled Ember. "what is the attack in the form of Sentinel?"

"Cruise missiles and bombers!" he replied.

"Dammit. We're still tied up with our bombing and the Razgriz are dealing with some more bandits. Blaze are you..."

Sunset cut her off.

"Sentinel we are formed up and heading that way."

"Roger! Ember and Zap get your squadrons in there as soon as you can! We're trying to get an Equestria squadron in there also," he replied.

By now Wolfpack was already supersonic and heading that way.

"Why didn't they pick them up? In addition to other AWACS one of Equestria's battle groups is off that coast," Rover said.

"With so many mountain peaks it would be nearly impossible to track terrain following missiles, and their aircraft might have found a few canyons to fly through," replied Shadow.

The group could see the smoke rising from 30 miles away, and at the same time their radars picked up some contacts.

"Nine bogeys ahead at angels eleven," announced Helia.

"It's safe to say they're bandits," replied Spot.

"What's that one further in front of the others?" Serana wondered.

"It could be a Dragon being chased down. We've gotta' help them out. All we have is short range missiles now so close in and nail them," replied Sunset.

At 23 miles the bogeys noticed them and turned towards the group.

"Here they come," Alvinar said. Then something unexpected happened.

"Blaze my IFF is displaying a code for the bogeys," announced Rover. Everyone else's lit up too.

"We've got two codes. The loner is a Dragon, and the others... Mercenary?" Redwing said in a puzzled voice.

"Wasn't there a merc group at that base?" Nightglider asked.

"Yes, but they would be squaking a Dragon code, not mercenary," replied sunset.

"So is it that group that was there?" Serana asked.

"We're about to find out," replied Sunset.

As they got within visual range, they saw the front plane bank and drop flares.

"They fired on it!", yelled Spot.

Then they fired on them.

"BREAK!" yelled Sunset. The group dropped flares and chaff and split up. The lone plane dived under them.

"A magenta Kfir?" Alvinar said.

Then they saw the others. Eight black SU-35's with colored wing tips, and a solid black Typhoon.

"Son of a bitch," cursed Sunset.

"Well well well. Look who it is," a familiar voice said over the radio.

"You're on the Centaur's side aren't you?" Redwing asked.

"Oooh you figured it out? Was it because we shot at you, or because we just helped wipe out that airbase?" she said sarcastically. "And now we have some more to deal with."

"Then bring it bitch," replied Blaze.

"Black Knight to squadron: You know what to do."

And once again the Knights and Wolfpack faced off.

"Dragon mercenaries, this is the magenta Kfir. Callsign 'Archer'. I'll help you out," announced a mare over the radio.

"Oh OK, thanks," replied a surprised Sunset.

For the next 21 minutes both squadrons engaged each other, but neither could get the upper hand. The Knights new super Flankers were giving them a slight edge. Starlight and Sunset were going one on one, but were simply trading positions as both knew each other's moves.

"So why did you join the Centaurs instead of the Dragons like all of the other mercenaries?" Sunset asked as she tried to get tone.

"We can't all be angels," replied Starlight as she pulled a cobra and got behind Blaze. "And I figured I might get the chance to pay you back."

"Well you're violating the rules of engagement by squaking your merc IFF code instead of a Centaur one. And I have a friend who held a grudge that long, and it almost killed her until she let it go," Sunset said as she rolled down and hit the brakes.

"And that's what will happen to you if you continue."

"Oh spare me the sob stories," replied Starlight, as she got behind Blaze again. "You're with the Dragons, we're with the Centaurs, so we're enemies." She fired her cannon, striking Sunset's left engine.

"Dammit," she cursed as she shut it down. She was now at a significant disadvantage.

"Mess with the best, die like the rest," Archer said as she swung behind Glimmer to cover Sunset.

Then there was a radio call.

"Screamers to Wolfpack: us and the Razgriz are heading for you now," announced Ember.

"Grrrr. Black Knight to squadron: break off and let's get out of here."

Just after Starlight announced that, Red Knight found himself being chased by Shadow, and found himself on a collision course with Helia and Green Knight. He hit the brakes hard and turned right, which made him briefly lose control, and Fido was in the right spot at the right time.

"Fox two!" he yelled as he fired an Archer, striking Red Knight and sending him down.

"Red's down!" exclaimed Gold Knight.

"Dammit I said retreat!" snapped Starlight. And they hit the afterburners and headed back to Centaur controlled airspace.

"Blaze to Sentinel One: Bandits are retreating, one down."

Roger. You did what you could," he replied. The Screamers and Razgriz joined up with them.

"Blaze you've been hit!" yelled Zap.

"I know. Looks like I'll need to get a new engine," she replied.

"Sentinel One to all planes: Can someone check on the air base?"

"This is Cobra I'll do some low and slow looking," replied Alvinar. The three squadrons joined up and headed towards it. There was tons of smoke billowing from it, and smaller columns of smoke scattered around, which indicated where planes had been shot down. They finally flew over the base.

"Damn," Redwing said.

"My squadron mates!" yelled Archer.

All of the base buildings were destroyed and/or burning. Dozens of aircraft including the mercenary squadron Archer was with had been bombed on the ground. The runway was cratered beyond use.

"I'm heading down," announced Alvinar. He flew down to just a couple hundred feet above the ground and went into a hover. What he saw as he passed over mortified him.

"I see no survivors. Looks like they strafed everyone who were caught in the open," he announced. Sunset and Ember flew over.

"Cobra check over by the main building," Sunset said.

He jinked over to it, and saw more bodies. Then he noticed something about them.

"Shit shit shit SHIT!" he yelled as he hit the throttle, lifted up, and got out of there.

"What's going on?" Serana asked.

"Those bodies had no wounds on them nor were there any signs of strafing. There might have been chemical weapons involved."

The radio erupted with gasps and yelling.

"Sentinel One to Cobra say again!"

"There may have been chemical weapons used in the attack. There's bodies with no wounds," he replied. The radio was silent until Ember came on.

"So help me if they did, I will personally BLOW THE CENTAUR CAPITOL OFF THE FUCKING MAP!" she screamed.

"I know the Cents didn't sign the no chem weapons treaty, but the Gryphus convention still applies so they just fucked themselves royally," commented Redwing.

"I can't see Tirek being that stupid. It might have been a rouge general," replied Sunset.

"Well they better hope that was the case," snarled Ember.

"Sentinel One to all planes: Return to base. Equestria already has an NBC response team on the way there so we'll find out the verdict before long."

As they grouped up to return home, Ember noticed the new plane in Wolfpack's formation.

"Who's that with you Blaze?" she asked.

"Oh yeah I forgot. Archer what's your story and what happened?" Sunset asked.

"My name is Kitori Palvanaff, and I was a member of the Stingers," she replied.

"What happened? Why wasn't there radar warnings of the attacks?" Zap asked.

"I don't know. We didn't know about it until the cruise missiles started hitting. They must have taken out the radars without anyone knowing," she replied.

"What about the AWACS?" Helia asked.

"I just did some checking. The attack took place in between flights, and it looks like they did some terrain hugging," replied Sentinel One.

"They planned this to a T'," commented Redwing. "Then what?"

"Many of the Dragon planes and four of ours were wiped out in the first wave. The second wave was 20 Frogfoots. The rest of my group and the remaining Dragons managed to get airborne and managed to shoot down a couple, but then the Knights jumped us. By the time it was over I was the last one standing so I ran for it. And you know the rest," she replied.

"A total Blitzkrieg. Typical strategy of the Centaurs," commented Zap.

"I'm pegging five to one odds the Frogfoots are where the chemical weapons came from. It'd be pretty easy to slip one or two in with the regular bombs," replied Nightglider.

"We'll find out soon," replied Sunset.

"Where are we heading to?" Kitori asked.

"Tantagel Air Force Base. There should be room for you," replied Sunset.

Author's Note:

I've finished the fanfic. Just need to get the chapters typed up on the computer and get them posted.

Kitori: http://lonewolf3878.deviantart.com/art/Kitori-Palvanaff-Pony-584492223