• Published 7th May 2012
  • 3,851 Views, 162 Comments

Battle Magic - Gaekub



Twilight finds a sport that she can't resist.

  • ...
3
 162
 3,851

Chapter 1

Twilight Sparkle, star pupil of the princess and bearer of the element of magic, wandered aimlessly through the streets of Fillydelphia. She was looking for something to eat, but wasn’t familiar with the restaurants of the city.

She had been visiting the various bookstores and libraries of the city, in search of a rare book. The weight in her saddlebags was a constant reminder that she had been in luck. It was a tome on old transformative magic, and she was excited to crack open the dusty pages.

However, at this particular moment her stomach took precedence. She had lost track of time, as she always did in such places. The sun was beginning to set, and she hadn’t eaten since breakfast. Her mind was focused entirely on finding a place where she could sate her appetite for the few bits that rattled in the bottom of her saddlebags.

Her mind was so focused on her stomach that she didn’t notice she was wandering into the bad part of the city. It was only when a brusque earth pony pushed her aside with an annoyed grunt that she snapped back to reality.

Most of Fillydelphia was pleasant, bright, and well cared for. Stable Boulevard, which Twilight found herself on, was none of those things. The brick buildings were coated in dirt, the street lanterns flickered and spat, and graffiti decorated the walls. With a small whimper, Twilight searched for a refuge from the darkness.

Just as she fancied she heard voices from the alleyway behind her, her searching eyes landed on a small tavern. With no better options, she walked into the warm light as quickly as she could without looking like a victim. A sigh of relief escaped her lips as crossed the threshold.

The tavern was infinitely cleaner than the streets outside, but that wasn’t saying much. It was far from spotless - Twilight was particularly concerned about the several stains that appeared to be blood - but it was passable. It smelled of smoke and sweat, and the lights were dim, but nopony seemed like an immediate threat. Twilight approached the bar.

“What do you have to eat?” she nervously asked the one-winged pegasus who stood behind the counter. Rather than speaking, he jerked his head at the sign that hung behind him. It was very small, and looked as if the pegasus had painted it himself. Most businesses hired unicorns for things like that, but apparently that had been too much of an expense.

Twilight squinted at the ill-defined letters. “Oh, uh, can I have some hay fries?” she asked, picking the safest legible thing on the menu.

“Two bits” replied the Pegasus, his voice surprisingly pleasant. Twilight had expected a growl, not this soft, low tone with a hint of an accent.

Two bits was well within her budget, and she dredged two tarnished coins from her sack. She dropped them on the counter with a small effort of magic. The pegasus scooped them up, and stepped into the back.

Twilight searched the room for an unattended table, and found one near the door. Keeping one eye on the three other patrons, just in case, she trotted over and sat down. She tucked her bag under the table, making sure one of her hooves was still in contact with it at all times.

Twilight examined the three ponies she shared the pub with, more for something to do than anything else. Near the back of the room sat a skinny, middle-aged pegasus, nursing a mug of cider. He appeared to be deep in conversation with a rather bedraggled female earth pony, her orange mane scattered haphazardly across her light brown coat. Sitting at the bar where Twilight had ordered her hay fries was a young looking unicorn, quite possible younger than herself. His head was pressed against the surface of the bar, and Twilight would have thought him asleep if he hadn’t occasionally lifted his head to drink from a mug.

She was trying to gauge his age more precisely when she heard the creak of hinges behind herself. She turned to see a newcomer –another unicorn- step through the door.

She had thought the bartender was scarred, but this stallion’s pale blue coat was a maze of raised tissue. As he turned his head, she noted that whatever had cut him so badly had also robbed him of the use of one of his eyes, the milky white globe focusing on nothing. His good eye (which he was lucky to have, judging by the large scar that bordered the
socket) focused directly on Twilight herself.

“This is my table. Do you mind?” he asked in a low, rough voice. He was more muscular than any unicorn Twilight had ever seen, and although he wasn’t much taller than her, she was probably half his weight if that. All in all, a very intimidating sight.

“Oh, of course. I’m sorry” she apologized, hoping to avoid confrontation. She reached under her chair to grab her bag and move to another table, but froze when a hoof touched her back. Her body tensed with fear, and her horn began to glow as she prepared to put up whatever defense she could.

“Woah woah woah. Calm down there filly” the older unicorn said, lifting his hoof from her back immediately. “I didn’t mean you any harm, I was just going to say I was asking if we could share the table. Didn’t mean to make you move once you’re all settled in.”

“Oh. Um, are you sure? I can move, it’s no trouble.” Twilight wanted an excuse to leave, but she didn’t want to offend this pony.

“No, no, course not.” The corners of the intruder’s mouth raised in a friendly smile. “I could use the company.”

Twilight nudged her bag back into place and watched the stallion carefully as he sat across from her. Now that she was in such close quarters with him, and the adrenaline of fear had mostly left her system, she noticed something else about him. He was emitting an incredible amount of magic, so much her horn was buzzing almost painfully.

“Uh…” said Twilight, not sure how to bring it up. “Is your horn… okay? Because-“

“Oh, I’m sorry” he interrupted. “I completely forgot. I must stink of magic.”

Twilight nodded slightly.

“Sorry about that. Just a second…” The pony closed his eyes, concentrating. His horn glowed slightly – his magic a red that contrasted his coat neatly – as he gathered in the passive energy that surrounded him. With a slight grunt of effort, he released it all in a pulse that dazed Twilight and caused the unicorn at the bar to gasp in shock and fall off his stool.

It was at that moment the bartender returned, carrying a basket of hay fries. Although he couldn’t feel the pulse himself, he could see the effect it had on the on the unicorn at the bar, and he put two and two together.

“Silver!” he snapped, dropping the hay fries on the bar. “I told you not to do that in here. It upsets the unicorns. Last warning.” He turned from the offending unicorn to Twilight. “Your fries are ready. You want anything to drink with those?”

“Oh, no, I’m all right. Thank you though” Twilight answered, approaching the bar. She leaned down, as if inspecting the fries, and murmured “that blue unicorn. Is he… safe?”

“Who, Silver?” asked the pegasus, a little louder than Twilight would have liked. “Oh, you sat at his table. Nah, don’t worry about him, he’s harmless. Well, harmless to ponies that aren’t fighting him.”

“Oh, alright. Thank you.” Twilight turned back to her table, but was stopped by the accented tones of the bartender.

“Actually, since you’re sitting with him…” he said, trailing off. Twilight turned back to see him filling a mug with cider from a tap. He dropped in on the counter once it was full, the foam bulging over the rim. “Would you mind taking this to him? He always gets one, figured I’d save both of us some time.”

Twilight shrugged, nodded, and snatched it with a tendril of mental force. She could carry two items nearly as easily as one; she had no reason not to.

She trotted back to her table and dropped her hay fries in front of her seat and the cider opposite.

“Ah, thank you very much, Ms…” the unicorn trailed off, lifting the cider to his lips.

“Sparkle” Twilight responded shortly, dragging a few fries from the bowl and taking a cautious bite. They were greasy and slightly overdone, but they tasted good and she was starving. She began wolfing down the rest.

“Well, nice to meet you Ms. Sparkle. My name’s Silver. Silver Chimes, but everypony just calls me Silver” her dinner partner said, drinking deeply from his mug.

Twilight looked up at him, chewing slowly. “Silver Chimes? Are you a musician?” she asked after swallowing.

“Do I look like a musician?” he laughed, pointing to his battle torn face. “No, my parents wanted a musician, but they ended up with me instead.”

“Oh” Twilight replied simply, before turning back to her meal. She wasn’t sure she wanted to know what he did. Something told her that it might not be strictly legal.

She made short work of her fries, and was still hungry once she was done. She was considering getting another, weighing the hunger against her desire to get away from this seedy inn, when the unicorn opposite began muttering to himself.

“Sparkle… Sparkle…” he muttered, brow knit in concentration. “I’ve heard that name…” he suddenly looked up at Twilight, a spark of recognition in his eyes. “Oh, I remember now. I’m thinking of Twilight Sparkle. Any relation?” he asked, taking a deep drink of cider.

“Uh… that’s me, actually. I’m Twilight.”

The stallion choked on his cider. He dropped the cup heavily, and let out a series of wet coughs. “You?” he wheezed quietly. “You’re Twilight Sparkle? As in, Celestia’s student? Bearer of the Element of Magic? The pony who defeated Nightmare Moon and Discord in the last two years?”

She nodded. “How do you know all that? Most ponies I meet have barely heard of me.”

“Let’s just say the circles I move in have taken a particular interest in you.” He paused. “Er… I realize that sounded incredibly sinister, but trust me, it’s not. Although on that note, you might not want to advertise who you are. Not all ponies are the upstanding examples of citizen hood that I am” he said with a hint of laughter.

Twilight’s eyes widened and her head sank towards the table as she glanced around the tavern. “You… you mean somepony in here might try and kidnap me?”

“Well, not in here specifically.” Silver craned his neck to look into the back corner. “Although to be fair, I don’t know that pegasus. I guess he could be trouble. Doesn’t look it though.”

Twilight relaxed slightly, but kept her head as low as she comfortably could.

Silver paused for a second before leaning forward. “…Look, I will be kicking myself for the rest of my life if I don’t ask you this. How do you feel about battle magic?”

Twilight narrowed her eyes as she scoured her brain. “Is there a specific meaning to that I’m not aware of? Because I know that magic can be used to fight, but-“

“It’s a sport, but yes, you’re right in broad terms. Exactly what it sounds like. You’ve never even heard of it?”

Twilight shook her head.

The light blue unicorn leaned back. “Well, I guess that actually makes sense. I guess it was simpler for the princess to just not tell you about it.”

“She’s not a fan?”

“I think it’s safe to say that. I believe her exact words were ‘it is a completely reprehensible activity, devoid of any intellectual or entertainment value’. I actually think she’d outlaw it if she could figure out a way to justify it.” He chuckled.

Twilight pushed her chair back from the table. “Well if the princess said that, I don’t want anything to do with it. I’m going to be on my way now. Have a nice day.”

Silver reached out to stop her as she reached for her bag, but thought better of it. “Look, just hear me out. Battle magic might not be as technical or intellectual as the stuff you learned in Canterlot, but it does have a sort of… base charm. I mean, I’m sure you know what magic was first used for.”

“Of course I do. It is currently believed that magic was first used to protect unicorns from predators” Twilight said, standing up from under the table with her bag draped across her back.

“Right, which makes battle magic the purest form of magical competition that exists. How can you refuse that, with a cutie mark like yours?”

“It doesn’t make it the purest, just the most primitive. Goodbye Silver Chimes.”

“Look look look. There’s a tournament on tomorrow at this address.” His horn lit up as a quill floated up from the bar and began to scribble on a napkin. “Just come for one match. Just to see it. You have to be at least a little curious.” The note floated into her bag.

Twilight sighed. “Look, I’ll admit to… a small amount of idle interest.”

“So you’ll go?”

“No promises.”

Silver grinned, the scars around his mouth stretching into an unsettling shape. “Wonderful. And if you see the match and decide you want to know more, I‘ll be waiting right here.”

Twilight walked into the night without another word to him. He briefly considered following her to make sure she made it home safely, but decided against it. She’d probably find that a little disturbing. Besides, he could hear his cider calling his name.


Twilight paced back and forth in her hotel room. The book she had come to Fillydelphia for lay, unread, on the bedside table.

She had found what she had come for. The carriage was going to pick her up first thing tomorrow morning and take her back to Ponyville. Then she could read her book in peace and forget that this ‘battle magic’ the princess hated so much even existed. It was that simple.

She collapsed on the bed with an annoyed snort. If it was that simple, why was she so conflicted? Some part of her wanted to see that match. Not a large part, but a very vocal one.

“I mean, it’s just one match” she said, speaking to the book on her bedside table. “And I could use the extra day to look for other rare books.”

The tome remained silent.

“It could even be good for me. Not that I think magic should be used like that” she hastily corrected herself, sitting up on the bed. “But my life has been a little… violent since I moved to Ponyville. A few self-defence tips wouldn’t be a bad idea.”

Decision thoroughly rationalized, she set about writing a letter for the princess saying that she hadn’t found the book yet and that she needed one more day in the city. Her conscience twinged at misleading the princess, but it was only a white lie. She signed her name at the bottom, rolled the scroll into a tube, and ignited it with one of Spike’s bottled fire breaths she had prepared at home. The letter puffed into smoke and curled out the window, leaving Twilight to fall into a fitful sleep.


The address on the napkin was only a few blocks from the neighborhood where she had met Silver, and no more hospitable. The arena however was significantly cleaner. There was still graffiti on the walls, to be sure, but there was less of it. That which there was strayed away from the general theme of bad words and unsavory drawings, and more dealt with which players ‘sucked’ and which ‘ruled’.

Twilight headed in through the main entrance, and found herself faced with a bored unicorn at a desk. She was about to ask for a ticket when he looked up and spoke. “You Silver’s filly?”

“No!” she shouted, shocked. “Or… wait, he sent me, if that’s what you meant.”

“That’s what I meant, yeah. He already paid for you, wait in there” the unicorn drawled, pointing towards the door to the right of his desk. Before Twilight had even moved, he went back to the magazine that lay in front of him.

“Oh. Thanks” Twilight replied, walking through the indicated door. “Well that was nice of Silver” she said, stepping into the shadowy room beyond.

Several unicorns sat on benches, either reading or just sort of staring off into space. They all looked up when Twilight entered, but went back to their activities soon after. The purple unicorn found an empty spot next to the only other female and sat down.

“…This your first time?” asked the unicorn next to her asked after a few seconds.

The purple pony smiled shyly. “Is it that obvious?”

“Nah, I can always tell the first timers. Did I hear you right out there? Silver got you in?” she asked, leaning forwards slightly.

Twilight noticed out of the corner of her eye that quite a few of the other unicorns seemed to have perked up their ears at that. “Yes, you did. He convinced me to try it just once.”

“So he’s training you then?” the pony asked, leaning forwards even more. Even more ears perked up.

“Uhh… no. I’m actually a student of the princess.” As soon as the words had left her mouth, Twilight cursed them. Silver had told her not to advertise that.

“The… seriously? Princess Celestia you mean?” her neighbor said, leaning away from her.

Twilight smiled and blushed in response.

“Well, shit. Glad I’m not fighting you” the pony chuckled.

“Fighting me? Why would you be fighting me?” Twilight asked, confused by both the non sequitur and the unnecessary profanity.

The other pony raised an eyebrow and opened her mouth, but before she could speak, a large door across from them slid open and daylight flowed into the room. “You. Purple, with the bangs” came a rough voice from the light.

Twilight squinted into the invasive light. “Me?”

“No, princess Cadence. Yeah you. C’mon, you’re up."

Twilight trotted into the blinding glare. “My seat is ready?”

“…Yeah, sure, if you say so.”

The purple pony squeezed her eyes shut as a hoof on her back guided her along the corridor. “That’s a strange system you’ve got there, with the holding room. Is it to make sure ponies don’t get in each other’s way when they’re getting settled?”

A chuckle came from beside her. “Lady, I don’t know what you’ve been taking, but a word of advice. I’ve been down that road, and it ends nowhere good. They check. In there.”

“What are you talking about?” Twilight asked, but only the slamming of a door answered her. She looked behind her, and there was only a large wooden door. “Weird” she muttered.

She jumped slightly when an overly loud voice began to speak. She recognized the slight reverberation of a voice amplification spell. “I guess they can use magic for more than fighting” she mumbled to herself.

“Welcome fillies and gentlecolts, young and old, new and returning customers. Welcome to the largest bi-monthly tournament in all! Of! Fillydelphia!” the voice shouted. A sudden burst of cheering followed the last word, none of which, Twilight noticed, came from near her.

In fact, she seemed to be completely alone. She was standing in a small room with a dirt floor and no chairs. It was open to the sky, but the walls were high enough so that she couldn’t see anything. There was a wooden door behind her heading back to the holding room, and another larger metal door on the other side. Presumably, that led to her seat, but when she pushed it refused to budge.

“In the red corner, we have a recurring fan favorite, the most adorable filly to ever step into the ring. Thirty pounds of violence in a ten pound body, Blast Waaaaaaaaave!” The final drawn out syllable drew out an even larger cheer from the unseen crowd.

“Hello? Where’s my seat sir?” asked Twilight, knocking on the wooden door.

“In the blue corner, we have a new comer to our fair arena. A purple pony-“

“Huh?” asked Twilight, turning her head towards the voices source.

“-under the tutelage of the famous Silver Chimes-“

“What?”

“-an unknown quantity by the name of: Dusk Shiiiiiiiiiine!” The cheers that followed that announcement were quieter, but far from non-existent.

“What!?” Twilight yelled as the metal door in front of her slid open, revealing a large dusty arena with a filly across from her behind a similar door. “Silver, I am going to get you for this” she muttered under her breath before stepping out into the arena.

“The contestants are stepping into the ring. Blast is setting up her signature move, and Dusk Shine is… talking to her?”

“Hello? Little filly?” Twilight shouted.

The small green unicorn stood up slightly from her crouch, and the glow that had been gathering in her horn faded as she looked at Twilight quizzically.

“Look, this is all a misunderstanding. I didn’t want to fight, I just wanted to watch. I’m not a battle magician, or whatever you call yourselves.”

“What is Dusk doing? Is this a trick?”

“No! It’s not a trick” she shouted at the announcer.

“So you don’t have any training?” Blast Wave asked.

“No, not at this” Twilight replied, relieved that somepony seemed to be listening. Even if she was here for this, she wouldn’t fight this pony. She was just a foal, she didn’t even have her cutie mark yet.

“Oh.” The green pony grinned evilly. “This should be a cakewalk then” she said, and her horn pulsed.

Twilight had just enough time to register the pulse when a blast of invisible energy hit her full on and flung her through the air. She slammed into the concrete barrier that surrounded the arena with a pained grunt and fell to the ground.

“What is wrong with-“ she started to wheeze before two more blasts hit her in quick succession, driving her into the wall and slamming her head against the concrete hard enough to make it spin.

“Looks like this might be a short match for Dusk Shine. Blast Wave’s withering assault is proving too much for her.”

“Shut up” Twilight muttered at the announcer, momentarily drowning out the pumping of blood in her ears. She could feel the adrenaline begin to pour through her veins, and she angrily turned towards the cockily smiling filly.

Her horn pulsed again, but this time instead of just taking it, Twilight sent out a wave of energy herself. A subtle rippling flowed through the air away from her and met a similar wave coming the other way.

Both shattered, and Twilight felt a moment of victory before she was driven bodily into the wall by Blast’s follow up wave.

When her ears stopped ringing, the violent filly was talking to her. “Alright, so you got a spell in. Good job. Ready to give up?”

Twilight groaned and spat out the liquid that had gathered in her mouth. One of her eyes had begun to swell up, but the other saw that the glob of mucus was dyed red. She grunted.

“Alright, just raise your right front hoof straight up and yell ‘forfeit’. Then they’ll let you out.”

Twilight’s hoof lifted from the ground, and she stumbled slightly as the other three took on the extra weight. She licked her lips in preparation to yell as loud as she could.

“Looks like we’ve got a forfeit here in the first four minutes. What a short stint for Dusk Shine. Looks like she wasn’t the magician she thought she was!”

Twilight’s leg paused. Her ribs hurt. One eye wouldn’t open. Her mouth was rapidly filling with blood. There was no way she was going to win this. The rational thing to do was to give up. This wasn’t the magic she’d been taught.

“What are you doing, moron? Say the word.”

Twilight gritted her teeth. “Never” she hissed, stomping her hoof back onto the ground.

“Looks like the forfeit isn’t going through!”

The filly groaned and set herself back into a battle stance. “Oh, you’re one of those. Alright, let’s get this over with.”

Twilight narrowed her eyes and pawed at the ground. With a hoarse scream, she charged across the arena, kicking up dust behind her.

Blast Wave’s horn pulsed. “Come and get me” she said, the wave of force spreading in front of her.

Twilight’s horn slowly lit up as she charged across the open space. Blast prepared a follow up spell in case the first was blocked.

Just before the wave threw the purple pony backwards again, the light in her horn grew to a crescendo, and she disappeared in a flash.

“I- what?” said the green filly.

“Oh, so you do have a cutie mark. It’s just that you can’t really see it, because it’s a wave of magic. Interesting” came a voice from behind her.

Blast spun in place, her horn beginning to shine, but she didn’t have a chance to release the energy. A column of force, much more concentrated than her own spell, slammed into her stomach and drove her spiraling straight up into the air.

“Nopony” growled Twilight.

The spiraling pony reached the apex of her flight and attempted to regain her sense of direction. Before she could do so, another magical burst smacked into her side and sent her flying horizontally.

“Calls me” shouted the purple pony, her horn’s light growing.

The small green unicorn slammed into the wall and fell to the ground. She tried to stand, but felt a telekinetic grip close around one of her back ankles.

“STUPID!” Twilight screamed, closing the grip and pulling as hard as she could. Her opponent flew across the ring and slammed into the opposite wall with a crunch that made the crowd groan.

“Looks like we’ve got a knockout by the newcomer in a surprising comeback! The ref is counting it now- wait, looks like Blast Wave isn’t finished.”

The abused pony stumbled to her feet and saw Twilight slowly walking across the arena towards her. Her horn lit up, ready to release her signature spell, but Twilight’s flashed and the magic flowed away. “Fine, I get it. You win. Finish it, knock me out” she panted.

“That’s not what I want. Forfeit” Twilight ordered, standing in the centre of the ring.

“You… what? You want me to forfeit?”

“That’s right. Raise your hoof and say the word. I want you to admit defeat.”

“And what are you going to do if I don’t?”

Twilight’s eyes flashed. “I don’t know. Do you want to find out?”

Both unicorns stared each other down, panting heavily. Blood trickled out of the side of Twilight’s mouth, and Blast Wave was definitely favoring on of her hind legs.

After a few moments, Blast Wave’s hoof lifted a few inches off the ground. “…Forfeit” she hissed.

The crowd exploded in cheers. Twilight smiled.


Silver Chimes sipped his cider and glanced at the clock. The tournament would have started ten minutes ago, meaning that if Twilight had acted as he expected her too, she would be showing up at any moment.

“SILVER CHIMES!” came an angry voice from the street outside.

“Oh holy hell Silver, what did you do now?” asked the pegasus behind the bar.

“Time to face the music” Silver said with a grin and pushed back from the table. He headed towards the door, but was still twenty feet away when it flew open and he was driven off his hooves. The huge unicorn flew through the air and crashed through the table he had been sitting at moments ago.

“SILVER, I AM GOING TO RIP YOU APART!” yelled the furious purple unicorn that burst through the door.

“…okay, so you’re not happy with what I did. I’m picking up on that” grunted Silver.

“NOT HAPPY!? NO I’M NOT HAPPY!”

A heavy metallic clank drew both of the unicorn’s attention. The bartender had placed a large knife on his counter, and looked up at them with tired eyes. “Hey. Look, you want to beat the hell out of Silver, be my guest. See if you can get twenty years of bar tab out of him well you’re at it. But you’re not doing it in here.”

“Are you threatening me?” snapped Twilight. Silver began to slowly pull himself out of the wreckage of the table.

“Yes, ma’am, I am threatening you. I’m not afraid of you. You think I lost this wing in a pillow fight?” he asked, gesturing to the mangled appendage on his left side. “So you can either take it outside, deal with it peacefully, or I can give you some scars to match Silver’s.”

Twilight took a deep breath to calm herself. When she spoke again, her voice reverberated with barely concealed anger. “Silver, outside.”

The blue unicorn heaved himself up from the floor. “Er… are you going to throw me through a wall as soon as we get out there?”

“…Maybe” she muttered.

“Then no, I think I’ll stay in here” he said, moving to an adjacent table.

The mare gritted her teeth. “Fine” she said. “I just came to say that what you did was a terrible violation of my trust. I’m leaving, and you better hope you never see me again.”

Silver grinned. “Did you win?”

“I- That’s not the point” she sputtered.

“Yeah, I know. But did you?”

“If you must know, yes, I did” she said reluctantly.

Silver pumped a hoof into the air. “Yes! I knew you’d be good at this. Did you enjoy it?”

Twilight slammed her hoof into the table. “I’ve got a black eye, I’m spitting blood, and it hurts to breathe!”

“But did you enjoy it?”

“It is a brutish, disgusting sport. Celestia was right about it” she growled.

“But” he said, leaning over the table. “Did you enjoy it?”

“Of course not” Twilight lied. “Oh, and here’s your blood money back” she spat, grabbing two small sacks from her bag. They jingled as they hit the table in front of Silver Chimes.

“No no no no” he objected. “I only put up the first fifty bits.” He drew one of the bags towards himself while pushing the other towards Twilight. “You won THAT money fair and square. That’s the entry fee of- who’d you beat?”

“Blast Wave. And that’s another thing, what kind of sport lets fillies fight like that?”

Silver chuckled. “Blast Wave is no filly. You shouldn’t feel bad about hitting her. She’s older than you, and a bit of a bitch. And her real name isn’t Blast Wave, that’s a stage name. Speaking of which, how did you like yours? Personally, I think ‘Dusk Shine’ might be a little too dramatic, but the crowds do go for that sort of thing.” He grinned widely. He did that a lot. Despite his appearance, he was reminding Twilight of Pinkie Pie more and more as time went on.

“I don’t care. I don’t want that money. Goodbye.” Twilight stood up and slung her saddlebags across her back.

“Oh, come on. Fifty bits is nothing to scoff at. Take it” he said, levitating the sack into her bag.

Twilight snorted in annoyance. “If it’ll make you let me leave faster, fine. I’ll take it.” She headed out the door.

Silver followed, taking care to remain just inside the door of the bar. “You ever want to try this again-“

“I won’t!” she shouted, walking away down the street.

“But if you do” Silver yelled after her, a smile in his voice. “I’ll be here. Ask anypony, nopony better to train you than I.”

“Goodbye Silver Chimes. May we never meet again!” came the mare’s voice from the darkness.

The blue unicorn grinned at her retreating back before heading back into the bar.

“Looks like you’ve lost a student Silver” the bartender said as he sat back at the table.

“Maybe. I doubt it though. Hey, there was a bag of bits on this table. Where did it go?”

“No idea. But on the plus side, your tab is now fifty bits smaller.”