• Published 17th Feb 2015
  • 1,596 Views, 28 Comments

Turnabout Bully - Paradox Theory



When Applebloom is accused of murder, it's up to Rarity to clear her name!

  • ...
2
 28
 1,596

Day One: Trial

August 2, 9:00
Defendant's Lobby 2.

"Well Rarity, this is it, when we walk through those doors, we have to show everypony that my sis isn't the killer." Applejack told me.

"I know dear, but we don't really have anything yet." I replied.

"The Defense and it's Co-council are to make their way to the court room." The Bailiff announced.

With that, we stepped into the Court Room.


August 2, 9:10
Court Room 1

"Court is now in session for the case of Applebloom." Said a brown earth pony from the Judges booth. "Is the Defense ready?"

"The Defense is ready, your honor." Rarity stated before pausing, "Haven't I seen you before?"

The Judge nodded, "Most likely around town. My name is Time Turner by the way."

"Strange," Rarity muttered, "I swear I heard somepony call you Doctor."

"Well, That's my other name. . . . but I'm afraid we'll have to talk later," the Doctor replied, "Prosecution, are you ready?"

"The Prosecution stands ready, your Honor." Shining Armor answered.

The Doctor nodded, "Then you may give your opening statement."

"Of course," Shining nodded, "Yesterday at 9:00 pm, the defendant was found next to the body of Diamond Tiara, the victim. Her death was caused by blunt force trauma. One blow to the head. We have substantial proof and an eyewitness. This case will be open and shut."

The Doctor nodded, "Then you may call your first witness to the stand."

"I call the detective in charge of this case." Shining said.

"Hey there pal." Silver Wing said from the witness stand.

"Detective, state your name and Occupation." Shining told Silver.

"Well, seeing as you already know my occupation, I'll only say my name, pal" Silver answered, "Silver Wing, reporting for duty."

"Detective Silver Wing, please testify to the court the scene of the crime." the Doctor said.

Nodding Silver replied, "At once your honor."


Witness Testimony
--The Crime Scene--

"We were notified at 9:00 that night, but we didn't arrive until 9:10"

"The first thing I noticed was the murder weapon, a candelabra, which was covered in the victim's blood."

"I then scanned the area for hoof prints, only four types of hoof prints were there."

"There's not much else I can say pal."

--End--


"Hmm, that seems in order," the Doctor stated, "Defense, would you like to cross examine the witness?"

"Of course your honor." Rarity answered.


CROSS EXAMINATION

"We were notified at 9:00 that night, but we didn't arrive until 9:10"

"Why did it take you so long to get there?" Rarity asked.

"Because the Rich Manor is across town from the station." Silver Wing replied.

"Continue," Rarity said after a short pause.

----------------------------

"The first thing I noticed was the murder weapon, a candelabra, which was covered in the victim's blood."

"Was there any hoof prints on the candelabra?" Rarity asked.

"Hmm," Silver Wing pondered, "This will sound strange, but there isn't."

"Why?"

"Why does it matter?" Shining asked.

"Because Applebloom is an Earth Pony, she could only hold it in her mouth and hooves." Rarity explained.

Shining then visibly flinched.

After a few moments, Rarity nodded, "Continue."

-----------------------

"I then scanned the area for hoof prints, only four types of hoof prints were there."

"Did you identify them?" Rarity asked.

"Yes," Silver replied, "One set belonged to the Father, another to the victim, and the third was the defendant's."

"And the fourth?" Rarity pressed.

"We could tell it belonged to a filly. But not much else."

"Continue." Rarity said with a nod.

--------------------------

"There's not much else I can say pal."

"Are you absolutely sure?" Rarity asked.

"Yep, there was nothing else." Silver replied.

"Hey! What's with the yelling?!" Silver growled.

"Because, there was something else!" Rarity explained.

"And what would that be?" Shining asked.

Rarity pointed her hoof at Shining. "There was a broken window not far from the crime scene!" Rarity explained.

Silver jumped and steam came out of his ears.

"That must have been how the defendant entered the house!" Shining countered.

"Look at the pattern of the shatter! It was broken from the inside!" Rarity countered.

The Doctor looked at the picture, "I'm afraid the Defense is right, somepony broke out. Not in. Objection overruled!" And then slammed his gavel. "I love this thing. I should have become a judge several hundred years ago."

"..." Rarity paused, "What, your honor?"

"Oh! Nothing, carry on." the Doctor replied.

Rarity turned back to Silver, "Why didn't you notice the broken window?"

"I suppose it's for the reason Shining said," Silver explained, "I thought that that was how she got in the house."

"Still, you should have mentioned it." Rarity said.

"Yeah, you're right." Silver said dejectedly.

"Besides the window, was there anything else you didn't mention?" Rarity asked.

"I'm sure that was all." Silver said.

Rarity nodded, "Then I am done."

The Doctor nodded, "You may leave, witness."

With a salute, Silver left the stand.

"However, this still looks bad for the defendant." the Doctor muttered, "Prosecution, do you have another witness?"

Shining nodded, "Yes, I do. And I call him to the stand."

A brown earth pony with black hair and a bag of money for a cutie mark took the stand.

"Witness, state your name and occupation." Shining said.

"Rich, Filthy Rich. Owner and proprietor of Rich's Barnyard Bargains." Mr. Rich said.

"Filthy, please testify to the court what you witnessed the other night." the Doctor said.

"Gladly, and please, call me Mr. Rich," Filthy replied.


Witness Testimony
What I Witnessed

"I had been away most of the day."

"When I got home, I knew something was wrong."

"The front door was ajar."

"And who should be standing there but the defendant herself?"

"Her guilt is obvious! I demand justice!"

--END--


"Hmm, I don't see much room for anything else," the Doctor commented, "But, the law dictates that the defense has the right to cross examine the witness."

"And I will do so." Rarity huffed.


CROSS EXAMINATION

"I had been away most of the day."

"Where were you?" Rarity asked.

Shining slammed his hoof on his desk, "Where he was before then doesn't matter. That is a pointless question."

"Agreed," the Doctor stated, "Objection Sustained."

"Next." Shining smirked.
-----------------------

"When I got home, I knew something was wrong."

"How did you know?" Rarity asked.

"My front gate was ajar. It was closed when I left." Filthy replied.

"How-how does that make you worried?" Rarity asked in disbelief.

"It only opens for a keycard."

"..." Rarity had nothing to say. So how did Applebloom get inside the property?

"So how did the filly get on the property?" the Doctor asked.

Filthy blanched, sweat running down the sides of his face.

"Perhaps Filthy just forgot to shut the gate on the way out. I'd imagine he was in a hurry." Shining suggested.

"I agree," the Doctor piped up, "I know I've forgotten to lock the TARDIS more then once."

Again, everypony looked at the Doctor. "Oops, me and my big mouth. Carry on!"

"Y-yes, that must have been it. I was in a hurry." Filthy agreed.

"You just said it was closed when you left! You can't just change your testimony!" Rarity pointed out.

"Yesterday was all sorts of stressful! Perhaps I just assumed it was shut!" Filthy yelled.

Rarity grit her teeth, "Continue."
--------------------------

"The front door was ajar."

"So, your house was just open?" Rarity questioned.

Filthy scowled, "I guess so, but where are you going with this?"

Rarity paused, "I don't know yet, just getting details."

Shining scoffed, "Some defense attorney you are."

"Continue." Rarity said.
----------------------
"And who should be standing there but the defendant herself?"

"Could you describe in greater detail what you saw?" Rarity asked.

"I saw my beloved daughter dead, The yellow earth pony just sat there staring at her." Filthy said, his face dropping at the mention of his daughter.

"Did you see anything else?"

"Hmm, besides the broken window and fur, nothing."

"I never mentioned any fur." Rarity smirked.

Filthy blanched and began to sweat down the sides of his face.

"So, can you identify this fur Filthy?"

Filthy's face turned red, "Stop calling me Filthy!"

Rarity slammed her hooves down on the desk in front of her. "Fur. Can. You. Identify. It?"

"I can't tell you who it's from, maybe a friend of my daughter? Maybe a cat? I don't know!" Filthy all but yelled

Rarity nodded, "Continue please."
------------------------

"Her guilt is obvious! I demand justice!"

"And what makes it obvious?" Rarity asked.

"She was there, the candelabra In front of her. Both doors were open." Filthy listed, "The window was broken from the inside, but she never left. I think it's pretty obvious."

"And I think she was in the wrong place at the wrong time." Rarity insisted.

"Prove it!" Filthy challenged.

Rarity smiled, "First, according to Applebloom, she got there ten minutes before you. The window must have already been broken."

"I think she broke the window! Unless you can prove otherwise." Shining countered.

"I can, and I will." Rarity replied, "With this!"

Filthy blinked, "A piece of grey. . . fur."

"Filthy, something you said earlier today intrigued me." Rarity continued, "Could you describe Diamond's friend?"

"Well, let's see. . . . her name is Silver Spoon. She wears glasses, and has grey. . . . fur." Filthy's eyes went wide with realization.

"The defense would like to cast suspicion on Silver Spoon." Rarity announced.

"On what grounds?" Shining demanded.

"On the grounds that she was the last pony to speak with the victim, and that she had escaped the house by jumping out of the window." Rarity explained.

Shining Armor fumed quietly, but Filthy wasn't done yet.

"Why would Diamond's best friend stab her in the back? I think that Applebloom was the true killer!" Filthy cried.

"What motive does a kid have?" Rarity countered.

"She is a poor farmfilly, and my family has wealth, that's no secret! So, she was jealous of my daughter!" Filthy explained.

"JEALOUS?!" Applebloom screamed, "OF THAT TWO BIT BULLY?!"

"Applebloom! Calm down!" Applejack urged.

"Bully? My little girl was an angel!" Filthy huffed, "Just one big lie!"

"NO!" Two new voices shouted, the owners revealing themselves to be an orange pegasus and a white unicorn. "Diamond Tiara is a bully!" The pegasus barked, "And all of you adults are too blind to stop it!"

With this the court, and Filthy started talking murmuring and yelling.

"ORDER!" the Doctor yelled, "Order in the Court!" Then slammed his gavel.

Everypony fell quiet, even Filthy. "Bailiff! Please escort these two fillies out of the courtroom." the Doctor said.

The Bailiff jumped up and escorted the two fillies out of the courtroom.

"Now, where were we?" The Doctor asked.

"I cast suspicion on Silver Spoon." Rarity answered.

The Doctor closed his eyes in thought. "I believe I have made my decision, I will suspend court to analyze the fur and see if it matches the filly. As for the defense, I expect that they will return to the crime scene to investigate more."

Rarity nodded, "Of course your Honor."

The Doctor nodded, "Prosecution, do you have any objections?"

Shining shook his head, "None your honor, it seems this theory is solid."

The Doctor smiled, "Then Court is Adjourned." And his gavel slammed one last time.


August 2, 2:30 PM
Defendant Lobby 2

"Good job Rarity, I thought we were done for once or twice in there." Applejack sighed.

But Rarity only frowned, "I'm afraid that if Silver isn't the killer, Applebloom will be back on the spot."

And AJ's smile vanished.

"You did good in there, Rarity." Shining Armor said as he approached the two.

"And you sir! Why and when did you become a lawyer?!" Rarity demanded.

"It was one of the requirements of becoming a member of the royal guard." Shining explained, "But I'm only here because Filthy scared all of the other prosecutors."

"Ah, still, you did a god job as well. Though you were awfully quiet. Why?" Rarity asked.

"While I may be against you, I'd rather know the truth before making any decision." Shining answered.

"Then as th' element of Honesty, I thank ya Shining." Applejack said.

"No problem AJ." Shining answered with a smile. Then he left.

Then Filthy appeared with a scowl on his face. "You think you've won! You think that Silver Spoon back stabbed my daughter! When her innocence is found, Applebloom will go away for good!"

"Filthy, I already disproved your theory for her motive. There's no reason for her to kill anypony." Rarity sighed.

"Then why did she lie about my daughter bullying her?" Filthy countered.

"If it were a lie, then why did two other fillies step forward and say the same?" Rarity asked.

"I know those three, they are friends. No doubt Applebloom told them her plan!" Filthy growled.

Applejack then stepped forward and yelled, "Listen here Filthy! Ah am the Element of Honesty, an' ah can tell when someone is fibbin'. Those girls were telling the truth!"

Filthy narrowed his eyes, "Then we'll see tomorrow who's right." He turned and scoffed, "Element of Honesty! Ha! Why bother!"

Applejack and Rarity looked at each other.

"Perhaps we should ask the other schoolchildren to confirm this whole bullying thing." Rarity said.

"An' ah'd like to apologize to Applebloom for not asking about this sooner." Applejack sighed.

Rarity put a hoof on AJ's shoulder, "Then go save your sistership, I'll be fine for awhile."

With tears in her eyes and a nod, Applejack took off.

With a sigh, Rarity left the courthouse and made her way toward the schoolhouse.


End of Day One

. . To Be Continued

Author's Note:

Rarity's Records:

Profiles:

Rarity: Resident of Ponyville, now is Applebloom's attorney.
Applejack: Good friend of Rarity and Applebloom's older sister.
Applebloom: A yellow earth pony filly, accused of murdering Diamond.
Diamond Tiara: Heir to the Rich Family Fortune. The Victim.
Twilight Sparkle: Equestria's newest Princess. Former Student of Celestia.
Silver Wing: A Detective, and the head of the investigation on this case.
Pinkie Pie: Another one of Rarity's friends.
Filthy Rich: The father of Diamond, and a witness.
NEW: Silver Spoon: Diamond Tiara's best friend.

Evidence:

Attorney's Badge: With this, Rarity can defend anypony as a defense attorney.
Autopsy report: Victim died at 8:45 sharp due to blunt trauma.
Candelabra: The Murder Weapon.
Note: A note for Applebloom, uncertain who wrote it.
Silver-grey fur: Found at the crime scene near a broken window. Update: May belomg to Silver Spoon.
Broken Glass shards: Remains of a Window near the Crime Scene. Update: May have been broken by Silver Spoon.