• Published 16th Feb 2015
  • 3,247 Views, 134 Comments

My Diamond - Regis-Th3-Lesser



Rarity has had a fulfilling life among her friends and family, but they could not fill the hole left in her heart.

  • ...
14
 134
 3,247

Ch.5 Dyin' of Thirst

Rarity sat in her room anxiously tapping her hoof on the desk in front of her. It was less than a quarter till seven. She glanced up to a nearby clock. Okay, fifteen minutes until seven. She had been waiting since she returned home from Sugarcube Corner, planning out how she would approach him. She has the perfect plan: invite him in, feed him a little, then engage in casual conversation. Nothing could go wrong, given one minor problem. Her nerves would not hold steady.

“Ugh, why am I so frazzled!” she fumed. “He is nothing but an old friend coming to visit...”

“Rarity?” she whipped her head around. “Are you okay?”

“Yes... Sweetie Belle, I'm alright. Just... thinking out loud is all...”

“What has you so “frazzled”?”

“Another order that I need to finish…” Sweetie Belle approached her with a skeptical look.

“Aren’t you on leave or something?”

“Well I just-”

“And when was the last time you came back to Ponyville for work?”

“Well, I… You see I was…” she sighed in defeat. “I’m nervous because Spike is coming over soon…”

Sweetie laughed loudly. “Really? That was this is about?”

“It isn’t funny Sweetie Belle…”

“It’s just Spike. He used to come over all the time. What makes this time so different?”

“Have you seen him? He’s humongus!”

“You mean like when he grew all big after trying to take Scootaloo’s scooter?”

“No, not that big… He- he’s fully grown… Naturally at least…”

“Thank goodness… There’s nothing to worry about. He’ll come and hang out like he used to.” She turned to leave the room.

“Where are you headed?”

“Nowhere, just going to go relax…”

“Alright then…” Rarity turned back to her window. She glanced back up at the clock. “Six fifty-three…” She turned her gaze back to the window and saw a large creature approaching the boutique. She couldn’t tell who it was but judging by the time she had a good idea. Then there was a knock at the door. “I’ll get it Sweetie Belle!” She rushed to her mirror touched up her mane and hurried downstairs. She took a deep breath and opened the door for her guest. “Hello Spike.”

“Hey Rarity.”

“Well, don’t be a stranger. Come in.”

Spike ducked in through the doorway. He looked on with nostalgia. Everything looked the same as when he left, he could have sworn that the mannequins didn’t move an inch.

“May I get you something to drink?”

“Huh?”

“A beverage dear, would you like one?”

“Oh, water is fine with me…” Rarity pranced away to the kitchen. “Wow…” he admired at how little it changed over the years. The decor, the odd trinkets lying around. He stumbled over a small chest. “Ha, really?” he lifted her gem box to eye level. “And to think I was once small enough to fit in here…” He looked over himself and chuckled setting it down. He turned finding the eyes of a white mare with a curly light purple mane set upon him. “Uh, hello…?” she came closer not taking her gaze off him. He stood awkwardly still trying to find out who she was and why she is just staring.

“Spike?”

“H-How do you know my name…?”

“Spike! It’s me, Sweetie Belle!”

He pieced it together. A white mare with a curly mane, she’s a unicorn, and her eyes were as green as his. “Sweetie Bell! I didn’t recognize you!”

“Me neither! Wow, Rarity was right…” She circled him examining his massive frame. “You really grew!”



“Wait until Scootaloo and Applebloom see you… I’ll go get them! Wait here!” She charged out the front door. Things have changed so little yet so much. Last he saw of her she was a little filly running around trying to do whatever it took to get her cutie mark, and now it seems that she had achieved get goal. He remembered the times he had with all his friends. The laughing, the crazy life altering events, and just the regular days that would always be upset by somepony’s shenanigans. Then it hit him. He had missed a pivotal moment in his friend’s life and probably in the lives of others. The leave he took was good for him, but how much had he missed, what could he have experienced, and what would his life be?

“Here you are Spike.” Rarity held a vase full of water.

“What is this?” Spike said, laughing at the absurdity of it.

“You are a big dragon, so I though that you would like a big drink. Was I wrong?”

He cleared his throat. “N-No you were not…” he took hold of the vase with his tail. “Thank you.” He passed it on to his claw and began gulping it down furiously. Rarity stood next to him staring as if she witnessed a rare wildlife spectacle. He didn’t notice until the water was nearly gone. “Sorry... I haven't had a drink all day.”

“It's not a bother at all. You were famished and needed to drink something fast. It was just a tad blunt is all.”

“Right...” silence fell between the two. Rarity tapped the rim of her glass while Spike made small fireballs in his claws.

“How did you learn to do that?”

The fire in his claw wisped slowly away. “In a way I always knew how.” Rarity tilted her head slightly. “Sorry, that was a little vague, wasn't it?”

“Just a tad,” Rarity chuckled.

“Well, I found out about it after I...”

“After you what?”

He fumbled with his claws some, looked towards the door then neck to Rarity. “H-hit puberty...”

Rarity laughed louder than she meant to, causing Spike's face to turn as red as a tomato. “Oh, I-I'm sorry Spike! I've never seen anypony or dragon embarrassed about crowning into adulthood.” Spike sat, his nose scrunched and glowing a hot red. “My sincerest apologies, please continue.” still silence. “Spike?” nothing. “Spike, I'm sorry if I've offended you...”

“That was the most awkward time of my life... Especially since I didn't know enough about my own kind to be able to expect what was happening to me.” Rarity leaned forward, eyes wide and ears perked up. “First was my voice, instead of breaking like a pony's would, mine broke.”

“What do you mean “broke”?”

“After walking up one morning, I found that I sounded like Iron Will.”

“That isn't so bad-”

“It stayed like that for two weeks...” Rarity bit her lip in a failed attempt to suppress her laugh.

“Sorry, I couldn't imagine you that little sounding like a grown minotaur,” she giggled.

“If that tickles you, then you'll be pleased to find out that after my voice returned to normal, it broke again a few days later...”

“How severe was it?”

“I sounded like Pinkie for a month...”

“P-Please excuse me!” she ran upstairs to her room.

Why do I feel this overwhelming emptiness in my stomach. Talking to her again is supposed to make me feel better. I could always talk to Rarity! Ugh! I need to tell her the truth...

That's a great idea, tell her that you are a cold blooded murderer. She'll love to hear that.

I'm not a murderer!

You know what you did. You know what you did, and you have to live with it!

You think I don't know that!

I know you do, but right now you're here in this rinky-dink little town trying to get some ass from a mare who never wanted you!

...

Live with what you did, you heartless monster...

I didn't kill him. I wasn't in control! I wasn't myself! That zebra tricked me!

Tell that to Pyro's grave...

“I'm back Spike.” he looked to her. She had put on more makeup and styled her hair into a cute bun. “Again I apologise, I couldn't imagine you sounding like Pinkie, quite frankly her energetic voice can be enough for a day, but for a whole month? I couldn't imagine.” Spike sat up as straight as a pole, staring intently at her. All those years ago she's still the most beautiful creature he had ever seen, though a few female dragons could give her a run for her bits, she had a unique beauty about her. “You know it's rude to stare,” she giggled. Spike shook his head and quickly gulped down the rest of his water. “Why so hasty?”

“I'm really thirsty is all.”

“Anything else you'd like to tell me about your adventures? Wait! You didn't tell me how you are able to create fire in your claws.”

“I didn't... This one is really cool, and also soul crushingly embarrassing... So the dragon family I stayed with had a son, his name was Pyro, the best friend any dragon could have. He noticed that I had a green flame coming out of my *ahem* backside... And instead of telling me he let me walk around with it just there. Scorched Buns, they call me that until this day.” Rarity snickered. “Well, after they told me, I came storming home angry. Pyro comes up to me and tells me that I have a unique ability that very few dragons have,” he snapped his fingers. “I can project fire from anywhere on my body. He taught me how to control it, augment it, and adjust it.” The flame grew as bright as the sun, then dimmer than the light's in the boutique. “After a few years, I mastered my new abilities, and that's how I learned how to do it.”

“That is amazing... This friend of yours, Pyro, do you still keep in touch?” Spike felt as if his heart collapsed into a singularity of guilt and self loathing. “Spike? Are you okay?”

“I...I haven't been able to keep in touch with Pyro...”

“Well, why not?”

“He's dead...”

She hugged Spike tightly. “I'm so sorry for your loss. He must have been like a brother to you.”

More than you know...

“See girls, look!” Sweetie Belle came bursting through the door. Behind her were Scootaloo and Applebloom.

“All I see is your sister cuddling that purple dragon,” Scootaloo nonchalantly stated. “Wait, is she cuddling a dragon? That is so cool!” she ran up to the two. “Rarity, how did you find this dragon?”

“Well, he came to me actually.” Rarity looked up to Spike with a sly grin.

“Does it have a name?”

“Yes, and his name is Spike.”

She put a hoof to her chin. “Well that's odd. We used know a dragon whose name was Spike. But he was little.” Sweetie Belle facehoofed hard enough to be heard, and Applebloom shook her head.

“Wait, Purple and green scales, Green eyes, and those spines...” finally putting two and two together, hey eyes lit up. “Oh my gosh, Spike!” she leapt onto him, nearly knocking him out of his chair. “When did you get back?”

“Yesterday.” he simply answered

“Wow you're huge! And you have wings? This is so awesome!”

“In a town like Ponyville, I'm surprised you didn't know he was here,” Sweetie Belle added.

“Yeah, Applejack and Big Mac told me last night.” Applebloom approached him. “Wow, when they said you were big, they weren't kiddin'. He's almost as big as Troubleshoes.”

“Who?”

“Nopony you've met yet. Well, how are ya?”

“How am I? Look at you three! All grown up and you've even got your cutie marks.” The three friends looked at the images on their flanks. “What manner of shenanigans did you have to go through to get them?”

“We didn't get them together,” Sweetie Belle started. “That was the problem, we kept trying to get our cutie marks by doing the same thing, but what we needed to do was, do our own thing.”

“That's nice to hear, so are the crusaders gone?”

“No, we turned it into a very profitable organization,” Scootaloo grinned.

“What're y'all talkin' about? We only have the club down at the farm.”

“He didn't know that Applebloom!”

“He was gonna find out anyway.”

“Not if we kept it a secret!”

“Girls, please,” Rarity interrupted. “Stay here, I'll get us all some refreshments.” Rarity, left Spike's side and made her way to the kitchen, before she disappeared through the doorway she have Spike a sincere smile.

Maybe some secrets are best keep, that is until they tear you apart from the inside out...

Author's Note:

Wow, this one has been a long time coming. I started this over a month ago but hit a block. So after listening to some of my favorite songs, I finally found one that highlights what Spike really went through during his time away from Ponyville. If you couldn't tell by the title this was partly inspired by Kendrick Lamar's “Dyin' of Thirst”. I hope you enjoyed:twilightsmile:
DisT