• Published 16th Feb 2015
  • 3,255 Views, 134 Comments

My Diamond - Regis-Th3-Lesser



Rarity has had a fulfilling life among her friends and family, but they could not fill the hole left in her heart.

  • ...
14
 134
 3,255

Ch. 10 You Can't Run

A month or so has passed since Spike landed here on the dry savanna he couldn't tell he lost count weeks ago. The dream conversations with Rarity and the others went on but over the last few days, they've been silent. Tourmaline has been kind enough to let him stay in her den for a while, but he knows he can’t stay forever. He didn’t plan to stay this long, but he didn’t have the heart to leave her by herself. Behind her giddy childlike mannerisms she was hurt and he could feel it. He felt that had to leave though.

So another sun sets on the vast grasslands and with it comes the night. Every time he travelled to a new location he would look up at the moon wondering if Luna was watching over him. Well, the last few mental calls answered that question, but it was nice to think that she was there guiding him. “Spike! Where are ya big fella?” Tourmaline came romping through the grass. “There you are. We should get back inside before those lions come.”

“Are you sure they’re going to come? I remember catching a whiff of something a while back but now it’s gone.”

“Ooh yah, I got the scar to prove it!” She whipped around almost slapping Spike with her tail. “Right here.” She pointed to her left flank. “Tried to take a nice juicy chunk of my butt, but I wasn’t giving it up for free!” There were four deep puncture wounds that looked like it could have impacted the bone. It was discolored as well, contrasting against her dusty pink scales with a sickening green color.

“Sweet Celestia… How were they able to hurt you?” Spike said, inching closer to her flank.

“Ah, ah, ah!” she swiped at him with her tail. “You could at least try to court a dragoness before you poke around back there,” she said with a flirty giggle.

“I was just looking at your scar. I didn’t know anything could penetrate dragon scales. Well, other than enchanted volcanic glass…” He rubbed the scar that ran along his belly.

“I dunno where you heard that bull honkey. I always get cuts and bruises, ‘specially when I tumble down into the den.” She’s never heard of a dragon’s hide being impenetrable. She said that she was an elemental dragon, so what kind of Dragon is he? He really never thought about it much.. “Well, I know the centuries old dragons have tough scales, but us young dragons? Nope…” That would explain the cuts and bruises, but why were his scales hard and hers not?

“Well, I’ve always had tough scales... “ he said looking, back to the sky. As the sun fell Twilight began to set in. This was his favorite time of day. The only time all of the princesses got to share the sky, and it created the most beautiful scene. “What’s wrong with me...” he thought. He soon began to realize how pathetic he was. He left the only home he ever knew to live in a world that would chew him up and Spit him out without warning. What was he thinking! No wonder why he’s miserable. His heart hasn’t been in the right place since he left his friends back in Equestria… And now he’s thousands of miles away with a disabled dragon, and now he doesn’t have the heart to leave her behind. Why couldn’t be be like other dragons? Ruthless, bloodthirsty, heartless. Maybe then all of these feelings of heartbreak, dread, regret, all of them will finally go away.

He felt a tear roll down his cheek. He couldn’t fight it. Like a dam, he burst. All of his emotions came rushing out as more tears tickled the dry grass where he sat.

“Whoa… I’ve never seen a dragon cry. Especially not a male.” Tourmaline came to his side with a curious look.

“I’m not-” what was the point? “I am crying…” His voice was low but steady.

“What’s got you down? If I scared you with the lion thing I-”

“No, it’s not even remotely that. I am an Equestria born dragon.”

“So that explains the name,” Tourmaline thought.

“I grew up there with my friends, then I left them to go live with other dragons. I met the love of my life… We traveled together and got into all kinds of trouble and every day we were on a new adventure. Soon she was my mate and I was as happy as I was back in Equestria with my friends. Until a witch doctor Zebra Chief tried to use my power to rule over something, I don’t know what it was. But in doing so he made me kill my best friends and my mate… I’ve been running since.”

“Why don’t you go home to your friends?”

“Because I don’t trust myself. If I hurt Twilight or Celestia forbid Rarity! I don’t think I’d be able to live with myself. I'd probably snap.”

“At least you have a choice…” Tourmaline sighed. “I’ve been stuck out here for fifty three years Spike. I can’t go anywhere because I’ll either die of starvation or thirst. You can go home to the ones that love you. I don’t think anyone who faintly acknowledged me would remember me.”

“You didn’t have a nest or a mate?”

“Nope,” she chuckled softly. “Before I left the male I was with found another dragoness. Do you know how heartbreaking it is to see the male you already courted with flying with another?” she chuckled even louder. “Right in front of me. Flying together, in my face like I didn’t exist!” she chortled with tears gushing from her eyes. “And when the migration landed here, I was the only one to have her wings clipped my those damned lions and left to die!” Nothing he could say would make anything better. All Spike could do was listen. “This is my hell. This is where I’m going to die…” her laughter died down as more tears came pouring down. “You are the first dragon I’ve seen in decades…” Spike reached for her but he hesitated. “I don’t want to be alone, but if you do leave I won’t stop you.” This was the problem of having a kind and noble heart. Not only could he feel her pain, but it pierced his own heart and infuriated him. He was out here whining because he was forgiven for his actions yet he still continues to lament, but this dragon lost everything while this dragoness was abandoned and cast aside.

“I am leaving, but not without you.”

“Weren’t you listening?” she showed him her back as she moved the nubs where her wings used to be.

“You can’t fly, but I can!” Spike proudly spread his massive wings.

“You can’t carry the both of us Spike…”

“Yeah, but there’s no harm in trying.” he stood up. “Climb on my back!”

“Spike, I don’t think-”

“Tori, listen to me. I have abandoned and hurt too many innocent dragons and ponies. I am not going to leave you here to die, I promise with my life that I will take you with me.” Tourmaline blushed with a small smile.

“O-Okay. I’ll give it a go.” She hopped up and climbed onto Spike’s back. “Wow…” she whispered to herself.

“What?” Spike asked.

“Nothing. I’ve never done anything like this before.”

“Hold on as tight as you can!”

“Are ya sure? I just sharpened my claws last night.”

“I can take it.” Spike took a pouncing stance, and stretched his wings. Tourmaline dug her claws into the scales around his neck. “I said as tight as you can,” Spike reiterated.

“Oh, right.” She dug in even further with all of her might, worried that she was choking him.

“Ready?” he raised his wings.

“Yes, no wait. Uh, can we just wait until tomorrooooaa!” Spike took off underestimating her weight. As he climbed higher into the sky, he felt her dragging him down but he payed it no mind. In him was the determination to save this dragoness, and that is what he was going to do. So with a smokey huff, he pushed his wings even harder. Tourmaline grip was tight bordering constricting. At least she was holding on with all of her might. Spike was gradually getting used to having her on his back the higher he climbed Soon all of his thrashing came to a halt. Tourmaline opened her eyes to the glowing fuchsia of the sky above and the dark brown of the grass and shrubs below.

“Oh my me, you're flying!”she chirped excitedly.

“Yeah, you’re not as heavy as I thought you’d be,” Spike chuckled. He soared gracefully over the lands below, happy that he just may be able to get her out of this arid wasteland. Tourmaline sat up and looked around. The feeling of the air brushing past her scales had become alien to her. She felt like she had when she was a hatchling taking flight for the first time. After fifty long years of living in a rock underground, she was finally back in the air as free as a bird with her soul ablaze once again. And none of this would have been possible if not for Spike. He was amazing, his stories, his kindness and his determination. She wished that her mate from long ago could have been like him. She wrapped her arms around him and nuzzled his neck.

“Thank you so much…”

“Don’t worry. I don’t have it in me to leave you out here by yourself.”

“Those ponies must be something. I've never seen a dragon care for anyone other than himself.”

“I'm not like other dragons,” Spike said with confidence.

“I can tell,” Tourmaline cooed.

“So do you know how to get back to your den? Cause I’m kinda lost.”

“Oh,” she looked at the ground slowly passing beneath them. “Turn around and fly until you see the trenches I dug. If you can, it's getting dark.”

“Night vision,” Spike said with a smirk.

“You are just a walking surprise person aren't you?” she giggled.

“I try my best.” Spike turned around and flew back towards her den. Tourmaline was absolutely ecstatic. She was finally leaving this bleak dull and dry place, but she still had a few minor concerns.

“Spike, why are we going back to the den?” she asked.

“I figured we could eat and get something to drink before we head out.”

“Right right, good idea. Are you sure you can carry me for a long time?”

“Yeah, just as long you don't move around too much I'll be fine.” She hoped with all of her heart that he was right.


Back in the den Spike was sound asleep, but Tourmaline was wide awake. She couldn't sleep. She was as giddy as a hatchling with a ruby in her claws , but how could she not be? The most kind, most amazing dragon just came in and promised to take her away for this hell.

As anxious as she was to leave, she had to admit that she was going to miss this place. But what can you do when you're finally going to be free from the desert, free from your loneliness and depressing thoughts. Well, depression may stick around but who cares?? She is going to be leaving for new faraway lands for the first time in decades. She was ready.

She looked over to Spike who was in his usual spot next to the grotto. He liked the fresh air that came in from outside. She moved closer to him, careful not to agitate or stir him. The first few nights he was there she did watch him sleep -mainly for security reasons- but also out of curiosity. He is so different compared to others that she's seen. He wasn't as big as most middle aged dragons with no greed, but he was still a juggernaut compared to her. Then again, females are usually smaller, but eh.

She inched even closer, looking over his wings. “Lucky bastard,” she mumbled to herself. Still they were huge for a dragon of his size. She took note of how his scales would highlight the muscle on his back as he breathed. Maybe if she asked, or did something to let him know- No. She wanted to wait until they were good and far away from this place before she tried to make him her mate. He probably wouldn't want to anyway… She was small, pale, and her scars were so ew and unappealing. It would be nice if he could be. It's been so long since she has been able to release. Her mind began to drift to how much he was packing when a familiar yet foul scent filled the cave.

“Spike! Spike! Wake up! I smell them!” She pounced on his back and shook him. “Get up you big sexy lump!” Spike groggily opened his eyes with a yawn.

“What Tori? Is it dawn yet?” he asked in a slur.

“Yes, no, I dunno. But I smell them!”

“Smell who?”Spike stretched.

“The lions! Take a whiff!” A low growl followed by a shadowy figure filled the grotto. “See?? I told you! They're coming for my booty! They've had a taste and now they want more!” Tourmaline cried. Spike shot up and took a defensive stance.

“No one is going to hurt you while I'm here!” Spike growled. As the first lioness came into view more shadows could be seen dancing on the water in front of them. “Get behind me…” Spike said with a admonishing tone.

“Look my warriors. It's the dragon that has eluded us for generations,” the head lioness spoke as her accomplices filled the den.

“You can talk?”Tourmaline asked.

“Yes we can talk dragon. We aren't simple savages.”

“Yippee, you know basic vernacular, now. Why are you here?”

“So rude. We want to take that dragon home to our tribe to keep and to cherish.” Spike snorted out green flames. “Really, we mean no harm. Dragons are like gods to my kind. To capture one is to ensnare divinity itself.”

“If that's so, then why did you guys trap me, clipped my wings, then tried to eat me?” Tourmaline called from behind Spikes tail.

“That happened generations ago dragon. I apologize if we harmed you in any way.”

Harmed is a way of putting it,” Spike seethed.

“Please dragon, we do not wish to harm your mate,” the lioness bowed. Spike looked back to Tourmaline who was violently shaking her head.

“Sorry but no. She is not coming with you,” Spike spoke sternly.

“Wise and noble dragons, please consider the lives that will be at stake if she doesn't come with us,” the lioness pleaded.

“Fine. Take me instead.”

“Spike what are you doing??” Tourmaline whispered.

“If they really worshiped dragons they would have offered the same to me that they are to you.”

“How do you know that?” Tourmaline skeptically questioned.

“I don't, it's just a hunch. Look, I've been in similar situations. Let me handle this.” he looked down to the bowing lioness’s. “Well if it's a powerful dragon you seek, here is one right before your eyes. Young, virile, and in his prime!”

“As fine of a dragon you are, we prefer the female behind you,” another lioness spoke.

“And why is that?” Spike asked with a growl. “Surely you don't want to upset me?”

“Of course not, your excellency. I told you that our intentions are strictly… Natai, Jainir, now!” Two lioness’s lunged towards Spike teeth bared and claws out. Spike managed to swipe one out of the way but the other got a clean bite on his throat. “The rest of you, take that dragoness!” the boss lioness ordered. Four deadly felines lunged at Tourmaline like they did at Spike. Tourmaline froze. She couldn’t run and moving any of the rock could bring the ceiling down on top of them. She braced for the pain of razor sharp teeth ripping into her flesh. But with a powerful swipe of his tail, Spike sent all of them flying back to their leader.

“How are you alive?? I saw Jaipur rip your throat out!” the boss Lioness snarled. Spike held the lioness in question in his claw. She struggled and clawed as hard as she could, but the dragon wasn't relinquishing his grip.

“My scales are stronger than dull lion teeth.” He snapped the lioness’ neck. “You're going to have to do better than that!” he roared as a belt of flames came flying from his open maw, lighting up the den with a bright green glow. The remaining lioness’s ducked into the grotto to escape the flames. Tourmaline was shocked at how someone as gentle as him could snap so quickly and with such ferocity.

“You disgusting beast! Kill him!” They leapt out of the water and tackled Spike. They bit him and clawed at his face trying to blind him. No matter what how hard he threw them off they kept coming back, mobbing him in full force. Tourmaline stood out of the way, unsure if she should help. She feared for his life. Every blow robbery traded sounded like deafening cracks and thuds. She could smell blood on the stuffy cave air, which only made her worry even more. After another sickening thud resounded through the cave, Spike called out to her.

“Tourmaline! R-ahhh!” one of the lioness’ bit his right wing. He whipped around and she went flying off. “Get out of here!”

“But I-” Tourmaline stuttered.

“I'll be fine!” The lead lioness pounced on Spikes back and started gnawing at his neck. “Go get out of here!”

Tourmaline wanted to argue, but she knew that she would only put herself in harm's way. She darted towards the entrance with tears fogging up her eyes.

“Get back here you filthy lizard!” one of the lioness’ dashed after her, but Spike got hold of her tail.

“We’re not done yet,” Spike growled. Tourmaline made it out and shoved the rock that covered the entrance deep into the soil. She sat there hyperventilating and crying. Even dealing with other dragons, she had never seen anything like that. Yes they attacked, but he still killed that thing without even trying. And how sickening the sound was. Now she didn't know who she was more worried for. She ran around to the entrance of the grotto. There was screaming growling and hissing coming from inside. She scanned around, seeing if she could catch a glimpse of what was happening, but then again she didn't want to know what was going on. Every sound and glow of fire only dug a deeper pit into her stomach. After the last green glow, everything went silent.

“Spike?” she asked. Her voice was shaky and unsteady. No one answered. “Spike!” she cried even louder.

“I'm okay…”

“Oh Thank goodness!”she ran back inside. “I was worried that you-” It was a grim sight. The lioness’ corpses lay scatters and bloodied, some with slit throats. Spike sat amongst them with his head down. “Oh my goodness…”

“I told you… I'm nothing more than a bloodthirsty murderer.” Tourmaline nearly gagged at the scent of the blood. Spike walked towards the grotto and left.

“Spike, wait.” Tourmaline called out to him. He stood in the grass, stoic and cold. As the sun rose she could see where they had bit and scratched him, as well as the blood that covered him. “Spike, they attacked us. You didn't have a choice…”

“Yes I did. We could have ran and flown off. I didn't have to fight, I chose to and I killed them.”

“It was self defense-”

“I still killed them!” His voice silenced the whole savannah. “They were most likely hunting for their pride, and I killed them…” He collapsed in the dry grass. “I don't know what to do or where to go anymore. I'm too dangerous…” Tourmaline sat him despite the blood.

“Spike. I've only known you for a short time, and trust me. Time flies when you're trapped. But you are the kindness and most sweetest dragon I've ever met. No one has ever been as sweet to me as you, a complete stranger who came out of nowhere.

“But, there's so much blood on my claws…”

“The world's nasty and cruel. Only the best live and if you weren't there, I was going to be someone's dinner.” Spike let out a heavy sigh. “At least you've made my life better. This is the happiest I've been, ever!”

“Yeah,” Spike agreed.

“Really, you're awesome… And I like you a lot.” she scooted closer. she inched closer. “I know we met not too long ago, and you’re the first dragon who I’ve talked to in a very long time. But, I feel safe and comfortable around you.” Spike looked her in the eye. She immediately turned away. “Forget I said anything,” she dismissed with an awkward grin.

“I know what you mean…” She looked back at him. Spike chose what he was going to say next carefully. On the one hand, he could say yes and be her mate but what about Rarity? She loves him but, does she want to be with him? When he was back in Equestria she did seem to be attracted to him. But here’s Tori. She’s very attractive, even for an older dragoness. She’s very perky, resourceful, and she reminds him so much of Pinkie odly. “I just… I like you too. And I’d be lying if I said that I wasn’t starting to fall in love with you too. But there’s someone back in Equestria who I love too, and I believe she loves me.”

“So, you’re going home? To Equestria?” Tourmaline asked.

“Yeah, that’s where I plan to go.”

“And, you're taking me there too?”

“Well, if you want to go somewhere else I can-”

“I want to go with you, but what about the ponies? Will they let me stay?”

“Trust me, they'll welcome you with open arms. Ponies are all about making me friends, well. The ones I was raised by are,” Spike said with a toothy grin. “You won't have to worry about a thing.” She poked her fingers around in the grass, curling the parched stalks around her fingertips.

“So… What's her name?” Tourmaline asked.

“Who?”

“The dragon dragoness back home that you're in love with?”

“Oh she's not a dragon she's a uh,” Spike cleared his throat. “A uh, a pony.”

“How'd that happen?” Tourmaline chuckled as she rolled over to her side.

“Well, it was just puppy love at first. I was a kid, she was a beautiful mare who was way out of my league. Being an oblivious love struck kid back then, I didn't realize that she knew about my crushes. A long story short, I left and came back a half mature dragon and she admitted that she did love me.”

“Aww, that's sweeter than a fresh ruby,” Tourmaline cooed. It caught Spike if guard how calm she was about him basically brushing off her feelings. Dragonesses are known for being hot blooded and temperamental. Maybe all that time alone did make her snap. “So when are we taking to the sky big fella?” Tourmaline rolled over and hopped to her feet.

“I need a minute to rest. Those lionesses wore me out.”

“I am a little bit hungry… What can I grub on before we go?”

“Lion…”

“Good one Spike,” she laughed. “Dear god, you're serious…”

“I'll cook them for you but I won't eat…”

“Actually, I can hold off in eating for a few days. Fish can fill you up quite a bit.” she came back to him and rubbed his wings gently. The sun finally peeked over the horizon, showering them in its light. Tourmaline layed down next to him, draping his wing over her. She didn't know why she did it. Perhaps are just wanted to be close. But it didn't seem to bother Spike. He was actually scooting closer to her. “Spike?”

“Yeah,” he looked deep into her hazy green eyes.

“You're still covered in blood…” Spike looked over himself and was embarrassed at the realization.

“Let me just, uh.” He looked around for something, maybe some brush or water. He realized that they were sitting outside of the den. He dashed back inside and jumped into the grotto. The lioness’s bodies sat motionless in front of him. He turned his back, shunning his abhorrent handiwork. They didn't need to die. And it pained him even more that they were going to sit there and rot without their pride ever knowing what became of them. Some could have been mothers. Just as soon as he got in the water he left and didn't look back.

Tourmaline was on her back playing with her hind legs. “Oh, I didn't expect you to be back to soon,” she chirped. Looking down at this full grown dragoness playing like a hatchling after being horrified at the sight of a bloody battle, put a smile on his sour muzzle.

“Did I get it all?”

“Turn.” Spike slowly spun in a circle. “Yeah, you got it off. Good thing it wasn't dry.” she looked been to the entrance. “They're still in the aren't they?” Spike nodded. “I'm actually going to miss this old pad.”

“Really?”

“Yes and no. I've lived here for so long I thought I'd never leave. Now that I am, it feels like I'm leaving a piece of me behind you know?”

“I know. Are you ready, or do you want to say one last goodbye?” Spike asked.

“I'm ready…” she climbed into his back, and held on with all of her might. Spike unfurled his wings, stretched them as far as he could and with a powerful flap. He and Tourmaline were on their way to lead better lives.