• Published 28th Apr 2015
  • 1,387 Views, 56 Comments

Constellation - Locomotion



After a revolutionary new plane crashes, nearly killing Flash Sentry, it's up to Twilight to find out what went wrong.

  • ...
13
 56
 1,387

Chapter 12: The Trap

Against all the odds, Princess Celestia did indeed agree to their plan once Twilight had outlined it to her by mail, but only on the condition that she risked as few lives as possible. That evening, having received her reply at the hotel in which she had been spending the last seven months, Twilight immediately began making preparations for a bogus charter flight across the Titanic Ocean.

“Okay, Spike,” she instructed, “now for Step 2; leak it to the press that the Ponyville branch of the Equestrian Variety Club will be flying out to Abu Dhonki in a few weeks' time aboard one of Royal Equestrian Airways' Constellations.”

Spike stared dubiously at his surrogate older sister. “Uh...but the Variety Club doesn't have a Ponyville branch.”

“Exactly!” affirmed Twilight triumphantly. “The way I'm planning it, the saboteur will read it and think this has only just been set up, whereas in truth, it'll just be around nine-hundred random actors and actresses.”

“Oh yeah! Yeah, I think I see what you're getting at, Twi. So, what, you want me to tell them that they're off on their first outing and have insisted on using a Constellation?”

“My point exactly, Spike.” But just as Spike was beginning to draft out the letter, they heard a knock at the door. Twilight went to answer, and was pleasantly surprised when she saw who it was. “Hullo, Flash.”

“Hey, Twily, how are you doing? I heard you were about to find out what had caused the crash,” the orange-furred Pegasus said as he entered.

“Well, actually, we already have.” Twilight told Flash all about the broken roof panel, and how it might have been sabotaged.

Flash frowned and gazed out of the window, which offered a panoramic view of the aerodrome. “So – eight-hundred and twenty-eight lives lost, and all because some maniac wanted to gain a lead over the Constellation with what would turn out to be a lemon?” he murmured grimly. “Gees, I've heard of industrial sabotage, but this is taking it way too far!”

“Well, we need to be certain it was something to do with McPommel,” Twilight pointed out, “and that's why I've come up with a plan. We're organising a 'charter flight' to Abu Dhonki in a few weeks, and we hope to catch the saboteur in the act before it heads out.”

“You're not seriously thinking of flying a whole plane full of passengers...”

“No – just me.”

Flash was horrified by this notion. “What?! You risk being killed at the hooves of a saboteur?”

“We're hoping it doesn't come to that,” Spike pointed out before either pony could even think of anything else to say. “I'd already been speaking to Twilight earlier; she's gonna scan for any ultrasonic fatigue cracks while the plane's in flight, and if she does find any, she'll hold it together until they can get to the nearest airstrip.”

“We're also planning on posting a night guard in the hangar in the hopes of apprehending the saboteur before he weakens the roof panel,” added Twilight.

Flash thought quickly. “Let me go in there, Twilight,” he offered. “I'll see that he doesn't get very far.”

“You?” An almost frightened expression of concern plastered itself onto Twilight's face. “But Flash, this is probably the work of a unicorn! Suppose he or she hit you with...”

“Suppose nothing,” insisted Flash. “More than fifteen-hundred ponies and other creatures have been killed at the hooves of this saboteur, and there's no way I'm gonna just stand by and wait for others to join their ranks – and especially not you.”

“Flash, I nearly lost you to one of those crashes...”

“Look, if you're putting your own life on the line to save others, then so am I,” stated Flash firmly. “I may have been close to death after Flight 759, but I can't get back to normal until I've avenged the eight-hundred and twenty-eight I failed to save – especially after all the effort you guys have put into finding the cause. And if I remember correctly,” he put in, “the whole reason you joined in on the investigation was to ensure I hadn't died in vain?”

Twilight pondered. “Well...yeah, I did...”

“Well there you go – if that's not a good enough reason to help you catch the saboteur, then I don't know what is.”

“I hate to say it, Twi, but Flash has a point,” mused Spike. “I would have done the same if Rarity had been on either of those two flights, and I'm sure it would have been the case for...well, pretty much all our friends and their loved ones.”

The lavender-coated alicorn remained silent for a few moments, mulling over Spike and Flash's words. Flash rested a comforting hoof on her shoulder. “I know this is difficult for you, Twily,” he said softly, “but you're going to have to trust me here. I am a guardspony, after all – I've been trained to deal with militant unicorns...” A light chuckle slipped through his lips. “...especially with the way Shining Armour reacted to us becoming an item.”

At last, Twilight managed to crack a small smile in response. “Yeah, I guess you're right,” she murmured, drawing her beloved Pegasus into a warm embrace. “Thanks, Flash – that was so brave of you to offer your assistance.”

“It's okay, Twily,” whispered Flash as he returned the hug. “It's what I'm here for, after all.”


Arrangements took time, but within ten days of the phoney news report, Twilight's plan could finally be put into action. Under the cover of darkness, in the very same airport from which his ill-fated flight had taken off, Flash Sentry furtively picked his way across the apron, clad in a black spy-suit and wearing a pair of ear defenders over a radio headset. As he approached the hangars on the far side of the airport, he paused to check for any signs of suspicious activity. Satisfied that nothing seemed out of the ordinary, he spoke into the microphone;

“Starswirl Tower from Agent X. This is Agent X reporting to Starswirl Tower.”

“Starswirl Tower to Agent X, receiving you loud and clear. What have you to report?”

“Have just traversed pasture – no cattle to wrangle just yet. I'm going to check in kennel,” answered Flash. “Will radio again as soon as I've explored.”

“Roger, Agent X. Kennel type is Rodeo Equine Apple Seven, repeat; Rodeo Equine Apple Seven. Good luck.”

“Thanks, Control.” Taking care not to make too much noise, Flash flew over to one of the hangars and hovered over its roof in search of a way in. He eventually fixed upon an open skylight, and cautiously wriggled his way through before drifting down onto a nearby catwalk, below which stood the Constellation over which he was to stand guard.

Even with his ear defenders removed, the hangar seemed fairly quiet as Flash entered – not a single living soul to be seen or heard, not a shadow to give them away, and the only other occupant was the huge airliner awaiting its next turn of duty. Even when he inspected the Constellation, he could find nothing to suggest that it had been sabotaged as yet.

“Agent X to Control. I'm now inside the kennel, and the terrier is in good health,” he reported. “Still no sign of the opposition as yet.”

“Roger, Agent X,” replied the controller. “What's your next move?”

“I'm going to stay in the kennel and keep the terrier in check. The opposition could still strike any time between now and tomorrow morning.”

“Understood, X. Next radio check at 2200 hours.”

“Okay, Control, I'll call back at 2200. This is Agent X, listening out,” and with that, Flash retreated to the roof girders to begin his long, tense vigil.


The hours ticked slowly by, but still there wasn't a sound to be heard nor movement to be seen. Aside from the hourly radio checks, all remained quiet in the Constellation's hangar – perhaps a bit too quiet for Flash's liking. Having spent half the night waiting for nothing to happen, he was becoming increasingly restless, and wondered if perhaps a look inside the plane at what he had missed on Flight 759 would help pass the time.

But just as he was about to fly down to the gargantuan airliner, he heard the sound of clicking coming from one end of the hangar. Flash stopped dead and looked over his shoulder just in time to see a door swinging open, revealing an all-over grey unicorn stallion in technician's overalls, a pony whom he seemed to recognise all too well. The unicorn paused, checking left and right as if he expected somepony to attack him, and with a satisfied nod made his way over to the catwalk.

“Starswirl, Agent X here,” whispered Flash, trying to ensure the message got through without the intruder overhearing him, “the kennel has just been infiltrated by an unknown animal. Have you sent the vet to check on the terrier?”

“Negative, Agent X. We already had the vet inside the kennel at approximately 1900 hours, and he's given the terrier a clean bill of health. Keep your eyes open – it could be that the cobra is about to strike.”

“Don't worry, Control – I won't let him out of my sight. Out.”

From the safety of the roof girders, Flash watched surreptitiously as the unicorn made his way along the catwalk. Halfway along, he stopped and stared down at the Constellation, his horn glowing a menacing red colour – and then, as his aura wrapped itself around one of the front roof panels, the faint sound of vibrating metal registered in the orange-coated Pegasus' ears.

Flash grimly narrowed his eyes and clenched his teeth. There was no question about it – this was the very saboteur they were looking for! Silently deciding that he had seen enough, he quietly drifted down towards the catwalk.

After three minutes, the vibrations slowly petered out before ceasing altogether. The unicorn smirked with satisfaction upon the damage he had caused, and turned to make his exit...

“Okay, that's far enough, mister!!”

The saboteur stopped in his tracks, a look of alarm on his face as he noticed the young guardspony stood before him with his wings spread out. “You!”

“Well, who did you expect – Colonel Purple Dart?!” Flash glared upon the intruder. “I might have known you of all ponies would be behind this, Tailstrike!”

“But...but I thought...”

“...that I was dead?” interrupted Flash. “Well, yes, nice try – and it might yet have worked had I not been fortunate enough to stand underneath the section of roof you weakened. And need I remind you that we Pegasi can withstand far more sudden changes of pressure than ordinary ponies?”

Tailstrike gazed in bewilderment for a few seconds before assuming a cold scowl upon his opponent. “You're better than I thought, Sentry!” he snarled.

“The game's up, Tailstrike,” said Flash. “We all know what brought those two planes down, and it certainly wasn't the plane blowing up of its own accord. You're coming with me!”

“Oh, I think not, Sentry!” retorted Tailstrike, the red glow returning to his horn. Before Flash could react, the dastardly unicorn seized him with his magical powers and suspended him in mid-air. The orange-furred stallion struggled and yelled, but Tailstrike's grip was too strong. “Sorry, buddy, but I can't have any witnesses ruining my plans – and that includes those with radio.”

Still struggling, Flash watched in horror as Tailstrike levitated the headset away from his ears and brought a hoof down right on top of it, smashing it to pieces as he did so. The unicorn saboteur then carried his Pegasus captive into a nearby storeroom, where he proceeded to tie him to a ladder.

“Well, Sentry,” he said sarcastically, “it was nice knowing you. Just a pity your survival was all for nothing.”

“Don't be so sure, Tailstrike!” growled Flash defiantly. “You won't get away with this, not if Twilight has anything to do with it!”

Tailstrike laughed derisively. “Why must you kid yourself?! There's no way Twilight will catch me out, not by flying to her own death!” He then assumed an expression of mock sympathy; “But don't worry too much about losing your precious princess – I'll be back for you later, and rest assured, I'll be more than happy to put an end to your misery whether you like it or not.”

Flash's eyes widened in alarm. “No!” he cried. “You can't do this...” but any further protest was promptly muffled as Tailstrike stuffed a wad of cloth into his mouth and tied it around his head so that it stayed in place.

“Still trying to make out like I might yet fail?” he smirked. “Face it, you winged weakling, nopony will ever stop me, least of all you – by tomorrow morning, the Constellation will be a twisted heap of aluminium, Equestria will be short of a princess, and the McPommel Phantom will be back in the lead where it belongs. Goodbye, Flash Sentry!” and with an evil cackle, he walked out of the storeroom and slammed the door shut behind him...