• Published 15th Feb 2015
  • 2,683 Views, 68 Comments

Rainbow Unicorn: The Ticket Matter - Hopeful_Ink_Hoof



Rainbow Burst gets two tickets to The Grand Galloping Gala. Unfortunately there are two problems: all her friends want to go, and she doesn't

  • ...
0
 68
 2,683

Morning Troubles

"Nooooo," Flowershy whined out, tightening her hooves around the branch she was holding. "I don't want to go. Please. Don't make me." She wrapped her forelegs around the branch tighter, clutching it against her chest. Around her hind legs was a rainbow colored aura of magic, trying to pull her loose.

"Flowershy," Rainbow Burst growled, "you've been out here all night." That caused her to pause for a moment. "Did you even sleep?"

"Who needs sleep when there are so many cute animals out here for me to meet? I'm still not done. I can't leave yet. I may never leave."

"Now sugar cube," Applejack said gently, "you know you can't stay here forever."

"Yes I can," Flowershy nearly shouted, turning to face Applejack. "There are bushes that I can sleep in, and water to drink, and there are plenty of edible plant and fruit-bearing plants. I could easily live here. I would just have to be sure to stay out of sight of the other ponies."

"I'm pretty sure that the guards would have a problem with that," Twilight said.

Flowershy shifted to look at Twilight. Her eyes narrowed and ears pulled back. She adjusted her grip on the branch.

"They'll never catch me," she announced. "Never!"

A white hoof reached out and placed it on, Rainbow Burst's shoulder, getting her attention. Turning to look, she found the Rarity had moved beside her. From the look in her eye, Rainbow could guess that she had some sort of plan. With a nod, Rainbow released her magical grip on Flowershy, and took a step back.

Rarity moved forward, bringing herself to stand beside the surprisingly stubborn yellow mare. Gently, she placed a hoof between Flowershy's shoulder, rubbing the spot.

"Now, dearie," Rarity said softly, "we're all very happy for you that you enjoyed your time here. However, your intention has at least one major flaw that you seem to not be thinking about. You do have animal friends back home that are waiting for you to return."

There was silence as the statement sank in. Flowershy's eyes went wide before her entire body drooped. She had completely forgotten about her animal friends back in Ponyville. Sure, they would be fine for a few days without her, but they would miss her sooner or later. As excited as she was to see all the animals here, she would eventually miss her friends and cottage as well. Especially her sweet and gentle little Angel Bunny. He would be simply helpless if she was not around.

With a sigh, Flowershy let go of the branch and stood up.

"You're right," she said as she turned around. "Come on." She started walking. "We should go before I change my mind."

The others moved to catch up with her, the seven of them heading back into the castle and making their way toward the main entrance.

"Hey," Rainbow called out. "Since we're all together now, I should tell you: Princess Celestia gave me more tickets to The Grand Galloping Gala. Now we can all go together."

None of them stopped moving since they were heading to catch the next train home, but the announcement did catch them by surprise.

"Uh... Rainbow?" Applejack asked. "Wasn't a part of the reason you did all this for us because you didn't want to go?"

"Yeah," Rainbow Burst admitted. "It was. But that was because I thought the whole thing would be boring and whoever went with me would be disappointed that it wasn't how they imagined. Now that everypony knows what it would be like and we can all go together, it will be a lot better. Plus we could have so much fun." She grinned widely, practically bouncing as she walked.

"Could you imagine the reactions we would get if Pinkie Pie actually exploded from boredom during the actual Gala? The looks on all those noble ponies faces when they're suddenly covered in streamers." She started to chuckle at the mental image.

"Rainbow Burst," the voice of Prince Blueblood called out, causing Rainbow to stop. "I want to have a word with you."

Almost all of them turned to look toward the approaching prince. There were two exceptions: Spike, who simply rolled his eyes; and Rarity, who moved to hide behind Applejack. The others watched as the tall, white stallion with long, wavy, blond mane moved toward them. He held his head high, looking down the edge of his nose. His gaze quickly flicked over the ponies before him, noting them as of common stock, and dismissing them.

"What is it, Blue?" Rainbow asked with a sigh. "We're kind of in a hurry to catch the train back to Ponyville."

"This will not take long," Blueblood stated. "It seems that last night your friend decided to stand me up and not arrive for our date. I was left waiting for several hours with no sign of them."

"Really?" Rainbow Burst asked, trying to sound as innocent as possible. "Are you sure that's what happened?" One of her hooves quickly reached out to cover Spike's mouth before he could say anything.

"Whatever the matter may be," Blueblood continued, "the fact remains that your friend failed to arrive. Be that as it may, I was still more than willing to maintain my end of the bargain. As such, I expect you to honor yours, regardless. No longer shall you perform any of your petty little pranks on me."

"Hold on," Rainbow said, her horn starting to glow. "Let me fix the problem right now."

"That will not-" Prince Blueblood started, only to be cut off.

"It's no problem. Really." With her magic, Rainbow picked up her friend Rarity from her hiding spot and brought her to stand beside her in front of the prince.

"Prince Blueblood, Rarity. Rarity, Prince Blueblood."

Blueblood glanced toward Rarity for a split-second before turning back to Rainbow, then stopped and looked at Rarity again. His ears drooped as his eyes went wide, recognizing the mare standing in front of him. Although it should have been impossible, he somehow managed to turn paler than he already was. His jaw opened and closed several times on its own.

With a slight cough, he straightened up. His eyes returned to normal as he ran a hoof through his mane.

"Well," he said as he took a step back. "I believe I have wasted enough time on the matter." Turning around he started to walk away. "Got other matters to attend to, after all." It took a strong effort for him not to full out run.

At least not in front of Rainbow Burst and her friends. As soon, as he was out of view, Prince Blueblood picked up his pace and ran as quickly as he could with dignity.

Alright, so it seems that he had made a dire mistake and had inadvertently told his plan to the very mare that he was attempting to deceive with the matter. In his defense, she had been deceptive as well. At no point had she identified herself as Rainbow's associate. Plus, there had been no mention that she was an earth pony. He had been expecting a unicorn.

Although none of that would be acceptable reasoning to Rainbow Burst. That mare would just love any excuse to back out of the deal and continue to humiliate him. Now she would have more than sufficient an excuse.

As he slowed down, Blueblood considered that he might have been overreacting. After all, Rainbow was now living in another town and would more than likely have some responsibilities there.... unless she wound up getting arrested. Either way, there was certainly no way she would be able to continue pranking him. Even if she did, how long until she got bored with the matter?

Certainly it would only be a year or less. There was absolutely no way that she would make good on her threat and continue to prank him the rest of his life.

Right?