• Published 7th May 2012
  • 2,230 Views, 51 Comments

Something More - GhostieToastie



Vinyl Scratch searches for someone to complete her reckless life.

  • ...
5
 51
 2,230

Just Blend In

Flinging the door open, Vinyl stepped into her messy home.

"Oh, Celestia.." She moaned. "I forgot to clean everything."

Annoyed, Vinyl shuffled around grumpily, picking up the trash and shoving it into a thick black trash bag. When the room was notably cleaner than before, she sat down. Staring at the phone in her hoof, she frowned. She had to call and cancel, and there was no avoiding it.

Right, V. You can do this. She breathed deeply.

She quickly flipped her phone open, and dialed the number. As it rang, her heart nearly stopped.

"Hello?" A loud voice jolted her back from her daydream, and she jumped.

"Oh, yes, hello." She trembled slightly. "This is Vinyl Scratch."

There was a pause. "Who?"

"Vi- Vinyl Scratch. You know, the DJ?" She mumbled.

"Oh! You're going to be here tonight at 10, right?" The voice was clearly trying to shoo Vinyl off the line.

"Well.. That's.. That's why I'm calling." Shaking with anxiety, Vinyl waited for the response.

"Yes? There's not a problem, is there?" The voice tensed. "I've got big plans tonight, and they depend on having a DJ here!"

"I.. I can't be there tonight."

The silence on the other end of the line was worse than yelling.

"Miss Scratch." The voice spoke calmly. "If you are not here tonight, I will make it very apparent to the others in the industry that you are not reliable. Do you know how hard it is to find work if one isn't reliable?"

Vinyl closed her eyes, pressure slowly engulfing her.

"Yes, sir, I know, but you see-"

"No, I do not see. Vinyl Scratch, you have a choice to make. I hope to see you tonight. Good day."

The dial tone clicked, and Vinyl slowly closed her phone. She shuddered, and looked up at the ceiling.

What am I going to do? Vinyl felt like the world was closing in on her.

It was her job, her fame, her life, versus Octavia.

She'd finally met that one pony that made her feel complete, and she'd have to give her up now.

No, No, No! She shook her head. I don't even like mares! Why do I feel like I'd be letting Octavia down? Telling her I can't make it tonight probably wouldn't even bother her. She only invited me along because she wants me to appreciate classical music! Nothing more.

Sighing, Vinyl picked the phone up a second time. She pushed her speed dial and called the studio.

"Yeah, Noteworthy speaking."

"Notey! It's V." She sighed in relief. Speaking to Noteworthy's secretary was a ridiculous process, so speaking directly to him was relaxing.

"Yeah, what's up?" He spoke distractedly, so Vinyl decided to make things quick.

"I need Octavia's number."

He laughed, "You mean you're going after her?"

Vinyl blushed. "No! She invited me to some music thing tonight, but I've got a gig. I need to call and cancel."

"Oh." Papers rustled and he was quiet for a few minutes. "Right, here it is."

"Thanks." Vinyl quickly jotted down the number, and she sighed. "Later, Notes."

She hung up and stared at the numbers on the paper.

She won't care, V. Vinyl stared nervously at the paper. Just get it over with.

She flipped the phone open, and dialed the number before she lost the courage.

The phone rang twice before it was answered.

"Yes, this is Octavia. May I ask who's calling?"

Vinyl choked on her words, but finally spit out, "Octavia? It's Vinyl."

"Ah, yes. What is it, Miss Scratch?"

"I.." Vinyl hesitated. "I can't make it tonight." She held her breath, concerned.

The short pause seemed to last forever.

"I see. Might I ask why?"

Octavia didn't sound angry, and Vinyl finally breathed again.

"I have a gig tonight.. It's..Too important to my career for me to miss it." As she said it, Vinyl realized just how shallow the statement sounded.

"When?" Octavia asked promptly.

"Oh, it's at 10. Why do you ask?" Vinyl stiffened.

"Give me the address."

"Wha- Why?" Vinyl confusedly stared at the paper in her hoof.

"I would very much like to hear 'your music' and meet the crowd of ponies you play for."

"Well, of course, but.." Vinyl paused, imaging Octavia in the midst of all the ravers and partying ponies. She held back a laugh. "Don't you play the last hour of that show?"

"Yes, I do. However, it's not that important. There are other cellists clambering for that part tonight, and I don't mind letting them fill in for me. It won't affect my career or life if I take or leave this job." Octavia sounded determined.


Vinyl's mouth slowly dropped open. Octavia was willing to give up a job to see Vinyl play.

Why don't I have that kind of courage?

"Well.. Alright, sure. I, um, I'll meet you over at the studio around 9:30. Then I'll take you to the place I'm playing." The corners of Vinyl's mouth turned up slightly, and she waited for Octavia to answer.

"Alright then, I'll see you then, V." The receiver clicked.

Vinyl squeaked and dropped the phone.

She called me V!

Shaking her head again, Vinyl stood up, determined to finish cleaning her house.

-----------------------------------

Vinyl slouched, exhausted, with her back against the wall. She looked proudly around her clean house, and she was certain she could see shimmering light reflecting off the surfaces of tables and windows.

"Damn, Scratch." She murmured to herself. "You should clean up more often."

The phone on her bed vibrated softly, and Vinyl scrambled to grab it. Levitating it in the air, she flipped it open.

" 'Lo?" She breathed.

"Vinyl?" A familiar voice spoke calmly into the receiver.

Damn it! Vinyl cursed herself as she glanced up at the clock. 9:45.

"Octavia! I'm so sorry, I was cleaning and.."

"Don't worry." Octavia's voice cut her off. "I, unlike you, can demonstrate patience."

Vinyl flushed. "What do you mean?"

There was a snort. "Did you think I wouldn't notice you twiddling your hooves and looking around for me in the coffee shop?"

With a sigh, Vinyl grabbed her glasses and stepped out the door.

"I'm not blind, you know." Octavia snickered pleasantly.

"Shut up." Blushing, Vinyl wandered quickly down the street. "So, you're at the studio?"

"But of course." Octavia paused, clearly not planning to let any of this go. "I make it a point to arrive on time."

"Then I'll see you there." Vinyl snapped the phone shut, not waiting for a closure to the call. Nervously, she ran a hoof through her frayed mane.

Suddenly, her head snapped up. Looking around hurriedly, Vinyl shoved her glasses on her nose. She sighed in relief.

You've got to be more careful, V! Trotting faster, she spotted the studio in the distance. Someone could've seen you.

As she got closer, she slowed her pace and tried to regain her cool. She noticed Octavia standing outside the studio, nodding her head back and forth. The gray mare looked ridiculously out of place in Vinyl's eyes.

Her pink bow-tie shimmered slightly in the fading light of day, and Vinyl couldn't tear her eyes from the figure bathing in the light glow.

"Octavia?" Vinyl spoke softly, trying to not to startle the seemingly entranced mare.

"Oh! Excuse me, Miss Scratch."

Back to that, eh? Vinyl frowned.

"I was just practicing some notes in my head. You must think that's silly, but it helps me." Octavia smiled.

"Silly?" Vinyl scoffed. "I always do that!" Smiling reassuringly, she continued. "I find it improves my music when I find notes through my thoughts. Ponies usually say that I should pay more attention, but, in my opinion, the only thing I need to focus on, is in my head."

Octavia looked as though she was going to say something else, but then she shook her head and said, "Are you ready to go?"

Vinyl laughed, looking Octavia up and down. "Are you ready to go?"

Octavia looked as she did earlier, if only a bit fresher. Her slick, black mane was combed into place, not a stray hair in sight.

Vinyl, on the other hand, had her hair teased and fluffed, her glasses darkened, and she had painted herself with glow in the dark paint provided to the DJ and caterers. Of course, the paint didn't show in the light of day, so Vinyl imaged Octavia didn't notice too much different about her.

"What.. What do you mean?" Octavia stammered.

Grinning, Vinyl grabbed Octavia's hoof and pulled her into the studio lobby's bathroom. "Don't worry, I came prepared!"

-----------------------------------

Octavia stood, looking into the dull, dirty mirror propped against the wall in the studio bathroom. She hardly recognized the mare she saw.

The neat, black mane Octavia prided herself on was pinned up, and spiked slightly on the edges. Her eyes had been outlined with a thin black pencil, the edges swirling out into what Vinyl called cat-tails.

The strangest of the experience though, was the thick see-through paint Vinyl carefully drew on Octavia's sleek gray coat. An experience Vinyl enjoyed far too much, as it were.

"There." Vinyl said proudly, stepping back to admire her work. "You're looking like a real raver."

"A.. Raver?" Octavia couldn't look away from the reflection.

"Yeah, raver. Party filly." Vinyl couldn't help but roll her eyes at the look of confusion crossing the newly styled mare's face.

"Err, right." Octavia murmured, turning slightly. "So.. Don't we have to go?"

Vinyl snapped her eyes to the small clock on the wall, cursed, and grabbed Octavia's hoof. Swinging out the door of the bathroom, Octavia in tow, Vinyl dashed through the lobby.

"Would you slow down, Vinyl!?" Octavia squealed. "Oh, my, I'm sorry ma'am!" She yelped over her shoulder as they nearly trampled an elderly mare on the sidewalk.

"Vinyl!" Octavia clung desperately onto Vinyl's side. "Can you please slow down!?"

Vinyl panted, "No.. Time.." She swerved abruptly down a side road. "Can't.. Be.. Late.."

Closing her eyes and clenching her teeth, Octavia let the crazed DJ drag her into a part of town she'd sworn she'd never enter.

Promptly, they arrived in front of a large building. Vinyl fluffed her mane, and turned to Octavia.

"Look," she paused, catching her breath. "I don't know how things work where you play, but here? It's about making a scene."

Octavia nodded and opened her mouth.

"No." Vinyl interrupted. "Don't. I don't want you to try and make a scene. This isn't your crowd of ponies, so just.. blend, okay? Normally, I'd be with you to guide you through this, but I have to play, obviously. However, I think you can handle this."

Octavia looked slightly put off, but she nodded and said, "Blend. Alright. I suppose I can manage that."

Vinyl sighed, "Good." She glanced once more at Octavia, then pushed the doors open.