• Published 7th May 2012
  • 2,231 Views, 51 Comments

Something More - GhostieToastie



Vinyl Scratch searches for someone to complete her reckless life.

  • ...
5
 51
 2,231

Those Violet Eyes

Vinyl sat anxiously in a small booth inside her favorite coffee shop. The soft murmur of ponies whispering to one another did little to calm her nerves. She wasn't sure how she managed to convince Octavia to get coffee with her, but she wasn't going to complain. The beautiful mare had offered to go wait on their order, and Vinyl was starting to wonder.

She's been gone an awfully long time.. Vinyl paused, looking around.

Suddenly, Octavia was sliding into the seat across from Vinyl, holding a dark green tray with two styra-foam cups. She smiled slightly, passing one of the cups towards a blushing Vinyl.

"Thanks, but you really didn't have to go and pick them up for us." Vinyl murmured, unable to look away from those violet eyes.

Snorting, Octavia said, "Don't be ridiculous. You paid, and you were willing to let me order for you."

Vinyl smiled brightly. "So," She took a drink of her coffee. Ow! Very hot. "You were going to tell me about your classical music?"

Octavia looked up and daintily sipped her coffee. "Of course," She set her cup down, and began to speak.

"Classical music is the art music produced in, or rooted in, the traditions of Western liturgical and secular music, encompassing a broad period from roughly the 11th century to present times. The central norms of this tradition became codified between 1550 and 1900, which is known as the common practice period. It should not be confused with the Classical Era.
The instruments used in most classical music were largely invented before the mid-19th century (often much earlier), and codified in the 18th and 19th centuries. They consist of the instruments found in an orchestra, together with a few other solo instruments, such as the piano, harpsichord, and organ. The symphony orchestra is the most widely known medium for classical music. The orchestra includes members of the string, woodwind, brass, and percussion families.
Given the extremely broad variety of forms, styles, genres, and historical periods generally perceived as being described by the term "classical music," it is difficult to list characteristics that can be attributed to all works of that type. Vague descriptions are plentiful, such as describing classical music as anything that "lasts a long time," a statement made rather moot when one considers contemporary composers who are described as classical; or music that has certain instruments like violins, which are also found in other genres. However, there are characteristics that classical music contains that few or no other genres of music contain."

Vinyl's eye twitched, and she started to object, but was cut off.

"Now, don't get me started on the cello!" Octavia's smile was overwhelming.

"The name cello is an abbreviation of the Italian violoncello, which means "little violone", referring to the violone, the lowest-pitched instrument of the viol family, the group of string instruments that went out of fashion around the end of the 17th century in most countries except France, where they survived another half-century or so before the louder violin family came into greater favour in that country too. Thus, the name carries both an augmentative "-one" ("big") and a diminutive "-cello" ("little"). By the turn of the 20th century, it had grown customary to abbreviate the name violoncello to 'cello, with the apostrophe indicating the six missing prefix letters. It is now customary to use the name "cello" without the apostrophe and as a full designation. The word derives ultimately from vitula, meaning a stringed instrument. Tuned in fifths, the-"

"Alright!" Vinyl cried, desperately shaking her head.

"Yes?" Octavia smirked. "Is something wrong, Vinyl?"

Open-mouthed, Vinyl stared at the gray mare.

Insane. That's what she is. Insane.

"How do you do it?" Vinyl mumbled.

"Pardon? Do what?"

"Just.. Oh, nevermind." It was useless. Vinyl couldn't figure her out if she tried.

"Do you give in, then?" Octavia questioned.

"Give.. What? What do you mean?" Startled, Vinyl nearly dropped her coffee. She looked up at Octavia.

"I mean, you'll come and listen to a performance with me?" Octavia looked hopefully at Vinyl.

Vinyl's heart was pounding. Maybe Octavia really did want to spend time with her? Agreeing to this meant she could see the stunning mare again soon.

"I.." She coughed. "I would love to."

Octavia smiled pleasantly.

"If that means you'll stop talking." Vinyl stood up. She couldn't just let Octavia have this victory.

Glaring, Octavia stood too. "Rude." She hissed.

Walking toward the counter, Vinyl threw a smile over her shoulder. "Now, now. At least I'm going to hear your music."

Octavia flicked her tail, annoyed. "Fine."

Vinyl paid for the coffee, and joined Octavia by the door.

"I'll meet you in the studio at 8."

Vinyl faltered. "Oh, you meant tonight?"

"Yes. Will that be a problem?" Octavia smiled.

Vinyl felt as though she was deflating. Tonight, she was supposed to DJ for a very well-paying party. The client she had was absolutely rich. The raves they threw always paid for her food for weeks to come. She need the money, and the publicity.

"No, of course not. I'll see you at 8."

"Good. I'd hate for you to miss this lovely five hour show. I happen to be playing the last hour."

"Fi.. Five hours? I might just have to keep listening to you talk." Vinyl shuddered.

"See you then!" Octavia trotted out the door, and soon blended into the crowd of bustling ponies.

Vinyl sighed, and rested her head on the door frame. She was missing the biggest gig she'd had in weeks, for a five hour long performance of something she didn't even like. What was wrong with her? Without this job, she might not even get to buy groceries this week. She certainly wouldn't be gaining positive reputation points. Being a bail-out was the worst thing to be in the DJ business, and Vinyl prided herself on keeping her plans stable. Glaring moodily at the wall, she thought of Octavia's hopeful face, and she sighed.

That mare, Vinyl thought, is going to be the death of me.

She started home, aware of the fact she'd have to call and cancel her plans, but somehow, all that she was concerned about, was seeing those beautiful violet eyes again.