• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,357 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,357

PreviousChapters Next
69: Master and Apprentice

Ahsoka Tano’s world was a bleary, half-conscious thing of contradictions. All she remembered was pain, yet all she felt was… curiously numb. She was floating weightlessly, flitting in and out of an infinite abyss whose nature she did not comprehend. This state, and place, seemed almost to go on forever. What passed for her conscious mind wondered for a while if she might in fact be dead, and this strangeness actually the fabled netherworld of the Force.

How long she truly spent in that state, she could never have said. Whatever the case, eventually the mists of that realm seemed to fade away into darkness, until all was black. Her body still felt numb, yet ghosts of aches danced the edges of her awareness. Gradually, she began to regain a degree of her senses. Ahsoka slowly perceived that numbed body lay flat against something, her unfeeling limbs completely unresponsive. As her senses began to return, she eventually realized that there was something affixed over her nose and mouth, pumping a vaguely sweet concoction in along with oxygen. It vaguely reminded her of some delectable sweetmeat she’d eaten… somewhere. The instant she thought of food she felt more than heard her stomach rumble, then immediately felt a jolt of terrible pain. She screwed up her eyes against it, shutting out the lingering agony by focusing her attention on her own rhythmic, mechanical breathing. No, she realized after a moment. Not her breathing.

Ahsoka’s eyes snapped open.

Immediately she had to fight the temptation to shut them again, squinting against the harsh white lights above. As her eyes adjusted, it dawned on here that everything here was white, sterile and unsettlingly familiar. With a start, she recognized a Star Destroyer’s medical bay from her time aboard far too many. And with that memories came flooding back. Denon. The Jedi. The trap. The Inquisitor. A lightsaber through her gut. Pain and darkness. Her breathing picked up rapidly, she could vaguely hear beeps indicating her rising heartrate. If she was still alive, and she was here, then that could only mean…

“Ahsoka,” came a deep, mechanical, bass voice.

Her blue eyes darted towards her feet, futilely willing her unmoving neck to crane for a better view. There, past her body wrapped tight in white medical dressing, standing at the foot of her bed, was a towering black figure out of nightmare. With an agonized reluctance, terrified of what she might see, she brought her gaze further and further up until her eyes met the soulless lenses of the terror’s mask.

She hadn’t wanted to believe it. Despite what she had seen in the Inquisitor’s mind, what she had heard from her lips, Ahsoka Tano had yet harbored a desperate hope that it might all be some kind of trick. That the Anakin Skywalker she had trained under for so long, had endured so much with, had merely died, bravely but untainted. The tiniest, most irrational part of her had even hoped that perhaps he yet lived, and she might one day see him again. One look into the mechanical monster’s mask, and those hopes writhed in agony before perishing miserably in the dirt. There could no longer be any doubt.

“Anakin…” she breathed weakly.

“That name,” said Darth Vader, “has no meaning any longer.”

“No…” Ahsoka managed, eyes watering. “No…”

“Anakin Skywalker was weak. I murdered him.”

Vader made a gesture with his hand, and Ahsoka barely heard the mechanical clicking sounds. She barely registered the bed she lay flat on rising up, adjusting and tilting towards the towering black abomination that had once been her master. Tears trickled softly down her orange cheeks, her body sagged limply against its restraints as her table brought her eyes level to the Sith Lord’s chest.

“Darkness destroyed all that once was and rebuilt something far greater in its place,” he went on. “Now destiny has brought you to me, that you too might be rebuilt.”

“No…” Ahsoka whispered. “You don’t mean that…”

“Do not lie to yourself. It is unbefitting.”

Ahsoka stretched out feebly with what Force energy she could muster. It barely qualified as a mind probe, yet Vader made absolutely no effort to muster a telepathic defense. Even in her drugged, numbed state she could sense the man’s feelings and… there was nothing there. No warmth, familiarity, or compassion, only a desire to reach out and possess, a fierce yet twisted sense of ownership that sought to have and to hold as one might a favored inanimate object. In place of love there was greed, anger, and a simmering bitterness whose source she could not identify. To feel what had become of the master she’d left behind was almost enough to break her heart on the spot.

“Now you see,” said Vader after a moment had passed. “The man you trained under is long gone.”

“Then what…” Ahsoka hissed at the murderer even as she continued to cry, “do you want with me?”

“I want you to complete your training, this time under a far wiser master.” The cyborg stretched out a hand to her. “The Jedi Order is all but extinct. The weak light gutters and fades. Soon it will be nothing more than a dim memory, and then nothing at all. All who would serve it will die. But you do not need to be among them. Join me. Become my apprentice, abandon the last craven and empty ideals you cling to, and arise from these ashes greater and more terrible than ever before.” He clenched his fist. “Together, we can cleanse this galaxy of disorder and put an end to conflict. With the powers of the dark side we can achieve what the Jedi never could, and force the universe to bow to the righteousness of our will. There would be none capable of stopping us.”

“You… already have an apprentice. I saw you two. On Kashyyyk.”

“Her life means nothing to me,” Vader answered. “Join me and you may claim her head as revenge, if that is what you wish. Under me, nothing would be denied you, neither passions nor learning nor wealth nor power. Nor would you be kept back from vengeance on those who betrayed you, who drove you from the Order.”

Ahsoka wasn’t sure what appalled her more, Vader’s sheer callousness towards the woman who’d pledged herself to him already, or the idea that her conscience could be bought off with power, wealth, and bloodshed. Anakin would have known better than to even think that could work, should have known better.

“Anakin Skywalker once thought as you do,” the cyborg said. “He was a fool to believe that, and that is why he perished burning and screaming in the fires of Mustafar. Do not make the same mistakes that he once did.”

“If Anakin Skywalker is dead…” Ahsoka breathed heavily under her clear mask. “Why do you care about me at all? I lost to your new puppet, by Sith rules doesn’t that make her the better choice? Shouldn’t you be trying to torture the whereabouts of dissidents or Jedi survivors out of me? Shouldn’t I be in an execution chamber? Why would you want to make an apprentice out of the failed student of a man you murdered?”

Vader said nothing for a moment, dead black lenses continuing to regard her impassively. But Ahsoka, through her still-tenuous mind probe, could still feel the echoes of long-distant memories bubble up. They were fading impressions, nothing more, as if from a dream long since passed. But the cyborg made no effort to stop her touching them, however briefly.

“A… child?” Ahsoka’s eyes widened. “Anakin was going to… have a child?” She’d known her master had frequently clashed with the Jedi Council, but had never imagined he’d gone against the code so brazenly.

“He was.”

“But… something went wrong. Horribly… terribly wrong…” she frowned. “Pain… darkness… grief…” Ahsoka looked up. “The child died.”

“I killed them,” Vader said, almost quietly.

“Then… what?” Ahsoka gasped, then recoiled as best she could when the pieces finally clicked into place. “I’m not them!” she insisted, futilely trying to squirm with her limp body. “I don’t know what the dark side did to twist your mind, Anakin, but I’m not a substitute for the child you lost! I can’t be!”

It hurt her to say that. Her master had been the closest thing to a father she had known in the cloistered, monastic existence that had been the Jedi Order. To learn that he had had a child and lost it to tragedy made her desperately want to reach out and comfort him. But this wasn’t him standing before her, it was a deranged, psychopathic parasite wearing her slain master’s body like a suit.

“You will become my apprentice,” Vader pointed on black-gloved finger between her eyes. “As my child would have been. And we will rule the galaxy together.”

“Never!” Ahsoka spat the word, tears raining down her cheeks. “I’ll never join you! You killed my master! You’re desecrating his body and slandering his memory! You’re nothing but a walking blasphemy! I’ll die before I serve a monster like you!”

“Brave words,” said Vader. “But I have heard them many times before. Everyone has their breaking point. Anakin did, and you are no different than your master.”

“I don’t care what you do to me, I won’t follow you!”

“You say that now. Perhaps after a few weeks locked in a cell with my interrogation droids and no food, water, or rest, you might find yourself more kindly disposed towards my offer. Or it may be that I simply have to shatter your mind altogether and begin from the ground up.” He paused. “But no matter, you do not have a choice. Destiny brought you back to me, and it is your destiny to take your place at my side.”

“If there’s anything left of the Anakin Skywalker I knew,” Ahsoka again tried to struggle, but her body was too weak and too drugged to respond, “then please, just kill me. Throw my broken body to the gundarks and give my lightsabers as a trophy to your Emperor. Just give me a clean death. Don’t try to make me into something like you. That’s all I ask, for the sake of what we once had. Please.” She looked him in the eyes.

Darth Vader paused, saying nothing. For a moment there was no sound from the Sith Lord, save the incessant mechanical breathing. Then slowly, deliberately, he turned his back on her and began striding purposefully towards the exit.

“I suggest that you enjoy your period of recuperation while you can,” he said. “Because once your danger is passed, the true pain begins.”

PreviousChapters Next